To My Heart's Call

Submitted into Contest #264 in response to: End your story with someone saying “I do.”... view prompt

52 comments

Romance Fiction

Author's Note: This story borrows lyrics from the 1968 Glen Campbell song "Wichita Lineman". I don't own rights to this song or its lyrics (That would be Jimmy Webb who does. He's brilliant.).


**

“Glenn, you may now say your vows to Lucy.”


Lucy, my light….


Oh gosh! I’m so nervous, I’m shaking like an overhead cable in the breeze. Sorry about that. Yes, my love, for all the brawn I use to climb up those thirty-five foot poles, for all the steel I inject into my nerves as I dangle on the flimsiest of wires above long and winding stretches of asphalt, my brain can’t help just sputtering out in Morse code right now at the end of this flower-covered altar before all our family and friends, before you. You know very well I’m not so good with words; try as I might, I’m no poet, just a lineman for the county. However, I hope that in its simplicity, you would see that these promises come from the depths of my heart and that there would be no interference to you understanding how much you mean to me.


Right, here I go.


Lucy, the day I met you at your high school friend Billie’s birthday party, I heard a ringing tone in my ear, almost as if to alert my soul of finding its home. I already told you this, but even at that exact moment I saw your deep, cornflower blue eyes that remind me of the endless skies I often see at work and your long, blonde waves that take me back to the acres of Kansan wheat fields I pray not to tumble to when I’m up and searching for overloads, I felt as if you were calling me. Just one stolen glance as I was chatting with my buddy Jim, and I knew I wanted to glue my eyes to your sunshine smile as much as a screen. However, as much as my mind sent signals to my feet to move towards you, seated on the tan-colored couch on the other side of the room, somehow, my legs wanted to stay rooted to the floor like those hunks of wood I scaled for my job. As my nerves were bogged down by the blizzard of fear, I watched you stand up from the couch and disappear.


“That’s it,” I berated to myself. “You have cut down the lines of anything happening between you two before it even started. You’ve screwed it up, Glenn Rinner.”


Little did I know that you would sneak up behind me and tap me on the shoulder with a gentle swipe of your long, delicate fingers. Just as I turned around, you were biting your mulberry-painted bow lip and twirling a strand of your curls like it were a bit of telephone cord. To my surprise, you admitted that you had been casting sidelong looks at me as Jim and I were deep in conversation, that you secretly wished you had a party line just so you could hear my voice. We talked for two hours straight. I just couldn’t leave you, hang up --- so to speak --- when I was drowning in the heavens of your eyes and the melody of your laughter. That same night, as soon as I got back home, I whipped out my mobile phone, slammed on the voice recorder application, and began piecing together these vows I will declare to you right now.


Lucy, I promise that I will always be your cheerleader, the man who will practically yell into a megaphone how proud I am to have you. I vow to you that every time you grab that microphone to fill smoky bars with your bell-like voice, I will be the first to clap for you.


I still remember the very first time I sat at one of your gigs. I had just finished a long, brutal day precariously suspended over some back road, my energy reserves as thinner than a single strand of copper wire. When I pushed open the glass doors, a bouquet of large pink tulips in hand, and listened to that silky, angelic voice, I didn’t expect that somehow, you’d recharge my batteries. Immediately, I was swept up in a dialogue between me and those soulful blue orbs. With every note, every intimate vibrato that seemed like it were pumped through a receiver, I found myself free falling in love with you. As I handed you the flowers I’d carried all the way from the other side of town and you enveloped me in your warm embrace, I knew I’d gladly be the one who calls out your name the loudest as I applaud you. I guarantee you that yours will always be the voice that gladly plays in my head in the whine of everyday.


I promise to do everything for you to let out that tinkling, mellifluous laugh that always resounds in my head, even in the deafening quiet above the plains, even as strong gusts sometimes threaten to topple me from my perch on a ladder. You can be assured that I won’t ever shy away from making you smile. How can I not when hearing you chuckle is even more addictive to me than some social media app?


Do you still recall that Friday night? Yes, that one. You were putting on your make-up in front of the lightbulb-covered mirror of The Sunflower Inn. Billie told me that you were audibly sighing, your gently-formed hands shaking as you painted your eyelids a rich amethyst. That hotel general manager from St. Louis was coming to watch you perform that day; word of mouth about your enthralling music spread faster than electrical pulses surging through a cable, after all. Oh, I knew you were a ball of nerves. There was only one thing to do.


As soon as I was back on the ground, I slammed on the record button on my phone’s camera to record a short video of me attempting to croon one of your original songs. Geez, I must have looked like a headless chicken trying to catch 5G signal in the middle of nowhere, but it worked. Apparently, you filled that dressing room with the glorious, airy sound of you snickering. My light, I tell you right now that I’m never going to stop making those beautiful cornflower eyes crinkle in joy.


I promise to be the chest you could cry on, that these same arms that mount poles for a living will be the ones to hold you tight no matter what. Sweetheart, only you will have a virtual hotline to me anytime you need me, 24/7.


Every single time I think of the day the hospital rang me whilst I was replacing a worn-out piece of wire, my entire body couldn’t help vibrating violently. As soon as I saw the litany of chat messages when I finally got down, it was as if I were bound under the sea with fiber optic cords strangling at me. I rushed to the medical center, the pages for doctors drilling in my eardrum, and saw you being wheeled into surgery for the bones you broke during the car accident. I couldn’t think of anything else but to email my supervisor that I’d be taking the week off, that the only setting up I’d be doing would be a chair to be by your bedside.


Oh, the way your mouth stretched into a smile more radiant than a cloudless summer day as soon as you opened those blue eyes and noticed me. I vow to you, Lucy, whether we’re figuratively high up in the air or we have to crawl on the ground, you will always have me.


Most of all, I promise to never put our love on the line, that I will never ever take you for granted…again.


It’s so embarrassing to admit it, but yes, I didn’t always make good on that. By our fourth year together, the fields of Kansas saw me more than you did. The after-show tulips were replaced with crumbled up notes from me stating that I’d be out late from work again. Gone were the funny clips sent to your inbox of me just to make you guffaw; instead, you got curt texts simply demanding "What's for dinner"?


Then, like a thin, overstretched piece of metal, you snapped. Little did I know you had effectively disconnected yourself from me. When I came home from work, you were gone, the only indication I had, a splotchy letter you left.


Sweetheart, I vow to you that I’ve learnt. No more of that. I hope you see...


Lucy Belinda House, you and no one else are the answer to my heart’s call. I love you so very much. I really d…



“Glenn, you may now say your vows to Lucy.”


I swallow a gulp as I break out into a small grin and stare at your delicate face. Goodness, you look so resplendent in that beaded gown with a bell-shaped bodice, a veil cascading down your coiffed golden hair. From here, I could see those angelic peepers --- the same ones that remind me of the clear skies I reach out towards every single day --- fill with glistening tears. However, your gaze never leaves, only flares out to take in more of….


“I, Glenn Philip Terrence, adore you, Lucy Belinda House…”


Glenn Terrence. The other Glenn. The Glenn that approached you one evening after a gig just to tell you he loved your soulful voice, his gentle hazel eyes apparently putting your mind at ease. The Glenn that has never failed to show up to every show with the freshest of tulips. The Glenn who sneaks in video calls between court trials and legal meetings just to make you laugh. The Glenn you chose.


I don’t blame you, Lucy; in fact, I’m grateful you even let me back in your life as a friend. As much as I clung on to hope that you’d ring me back after you packed your bags, as much as I told myself that your new beau and I sharing names was a sign you still wanted me, I’ve just got to face the facts. Even more than missing the call from the HR manager of some dream job, I’ve lost my chance to be who your heart calls for. And damn does it feel like I were electrocuted.


I do promise you this, though. Lucy. I vow to always be happy for you. When you write to me about the new home you and Glenn would build, some vacation he’s taking you on, a new baby --- I will attempt to sound as giddy as I could be on screen, even if behind it, my heart is screeching. I swear to always be there for you both if ever you need me to fix up a roof or just need a chat, just give me a holler. It’s the least I could do…


…Oh, and yes, if one day, you realize you still have me in the recesses of your memory --- if you want to ask me if I still need you more than want you and if I want you for all time, the answer will always be the same: I do.

August 20, 2024 17:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

52 comments

Mary Bendickson
22:16 Aug 22, 2024

This was all sweet and sad. Too bad he didn't get his Lucy. As I read this I couldn't help think of my granddaughter who has that effervescent personality of Lucy. She left last week to finish college many states away to be close to her blue-eyed lineman who hangs from helicopters in the Idaho mountains to fix the outages. They met two years ago at one of her cousins' wedding (my grandson). They have carried on a long-distance relationship ever since. Broke her mother's heart for her to fly so far from the nest.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:27 Aug 23, 2024

Hi, Mary ! Like I mentioned to Fern, I got the idea of an unspoken wedding vow from an advert. Indeed, sometimes, regret comes when it's too late. As for the lineman, I suppose Glen Campbell and Jimmy Webb were right in the fact that they can be romantics. Hahahaha ! Glad you liked the story !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cedar Barkwood
19:27 Aug 21, 2024

I how genuine this story feels. It was a quiet escape from reality. It was told wonderfully. It was a wonderful piece, thank you for sharing with us!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:46 Aug 22, 2024

Hi, Cedar ! Thank you so much ! That means a lot. I'm so happy the earnestness came through. I appreciate you taking the time to read this.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
03:44 Sep 05, 2024

It's very romantic. I love the song and melody of Wichita Lineman. You incorporated some of the words and sentiments of the song so well.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
03:51 Sep 05, 2024

Hi, Kaitlyn ! I love that song, so I felt like writing a story that sort of continues from the story in the lyrics. I'm so happy it worked. Thank you for the read !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
12:16 Aug 29, 2024

So sad that Glenn didn't get his girl and a great metaphore for how you don't realise what you've got until it's gone. Loved reading this, thank you!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
12:20 Aug 29, 2024

Hi, Penelope ! Precisely that. Sometimes, it takes losing someone to fully appreciate them. Thank you for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Annie Persson
14:17 Aug 28, 2024

So sad! He loves her so much... it's such a shame he messed up and she ended up with someone else. (The double name thing was great, by the way.) But I hope at some point, he'll find himself someone else to love that much. :)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
14:42 Aug 28, 2024

Hi, Annie! Precisely that. Sometimes, the most loving thing is to let the person you adore be with someone they love. Like I mentioned in previous comments, I came up with the double name twist a bit late into the story, but I'm happy it worked. Thank you for reading !

Reply

Annie Persson
15:01 Aug 28, 2024

Yes, that is very true. And despite the late arrival of the double-name twist, it worked perfectly! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Karen Hope
14:50 Aug 27, 2024

Beautiful and poetic love story - with a twist! I knew the use of italic was telling us these were Glenn's thoughts, but who knew why he was thinking his vows rather than saying them? The poor guy is lost in his feelings and for his precious Lucy, even as she moves on. He knows he messed up but it's too late. Well done and very touching!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
15:31 Aug 27, 2024

Thank you so much, Karen ! Precisely that, the use of the italics is a bit of a clue. I'm so happy you felt all of Glenn's emotions, including the regret. Thank you for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
♡ Tana ♡
21:38 Aug 26, 2024

Oh my goodness, I was tearing up by the end of this!! The line “. . . to alert my soul of finding its way home. . “ wow!! I am speechless!! The twist at the end was shocking and heartbreaking and so incredibly clever!! You are such a talented writer, I am constantly inspired by your work and always honored to read your heartfelt and moving creations!!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:20 Aug 27, 2024

Tana !! This means so much coming from a brilliant writer like you ! I'm happy that you felt the emotions that Glenn R. was harbouring in the piece. I quite liked writing that line. I suppose I really enjoy writing romance. Hahahaha ! I'm happy you liked the twist, as well. Again, it means so much coming from you. Thanks for reading and commenting !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
James Scott
23:28 Aug 25, 2024

I loved the way his voice was tailored to use all the things he knew best from his work. A grand twist at the end too!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:42 Aug 26, 2024

Hi, James ! I'm glad you liked the vocabulary. I tend to pick out a bit of an imagery theme and use it in my stories. Happy you liked the twist too. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carol Stewart
00:55 Aug 25, 2024

And she's back! Good to read you again. Awww my heart went out to the OG Glenn after such a heartfelt pre-prepared lineman inspired speech. Really well done btw. Made me wonder what my recently married daughter’s and her husband's vows might have been like if they'd been similarly inspired. Both painters and decorators 😀

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:04 Aug 25, 2024

Hi, Carol ! It's been a busy two weeks, so I'm happy to be able to write again (Plus, it was wedding week, so of course, the romance author had to write. Hahahaha !). Hopefully, I could finish my story for this week, as well. Like I mentioned in other comments, this was inspired by both an advert...and Wichita Lineman (odd combination, but it's me. Hahahaha !). I had to incorporate his job in the vows because it was a huge part of my inspiration. And yes, when the day comes, will I be extra poetic in my vows ? Absolutely. Hahahaha ! Than...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
VJ Hamilton
21:56 Aug 24, 2024

Alexis, I love how you really drill into the moment! The details build and the emotion cascades.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:47 Aug 24, 2024

Hi, VJ ! I love the way you put it ! I'm glad I was able to take you on an emotional journey. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Claire Trbovic
20:38 Aug 24, 2024

Ah Glenn… I was so sure I knew where this was going and then my heart broke for poor Glenn, I had to do a double read! I could also read hundreds of short stories and be able to pick out an Alexis Araneta piece from a mile away, love your voice

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:54 Aug 24, 2024

Hi, Claire ! I've missed you on here. Well, I'm happy I was able to surprise you with that twist. Like I mentioned in other comments, this was sort of inspired by an advert, one that also made me yell "Nooo !" when the twist was revealed. I'm quite flattered about you being able to pick my stories from a pile too. As per usual, I appreciate your comments, especially considering what a brilliant writer you are.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lonnie Russo
19:49 Aug 24, 2024

I absolutely adored that Glenn starts out by warning us “I’m no poet” and then proceeds to conjure every beautiful metaphor he can about Lucy. It’s funny how love makes finding words we never thought we could so easy. A lovely, yearning read. Excellent work.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
00:01 Aug 25, 2024

Hi, Lonnie ! Thank you for reading. Hahahaha ! Precisely that ! Well, actually, I snuck that line in to be able to make a reference ("Just a lineman for the county") to the song that inspired the piece. I'm happy it worked. Huge thanks for commenting. I will read one of your stories in a bit.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sophie Goldstein
18:24 Aug 24, 2024

Beautifully written, Alexis! Heartbreaking twist at the end. Wonderful work!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
00:08 Aug 25, 2024

Thank you so much, Sophie ! Glad you liked the twist. Thank you for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
McKade Kerr
18:04 Aug 24, 2024

Great story! I wasn’t expecting the end at all, but it worked well. Great work!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
00:10 Aug 25, 2024

Hi, McKade ! Ha ! Glad the twist surprised you. As per usual, thank you for reading and commenting !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
16:25 Aug 24, 2024

I do... like your story, Alexis. It was a comfort read.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
16:27 Aug 24, 2024

Thank you, Darvico ! It means a lot!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:53 Aug 23, 2024

(You have great taste in songs...) Love it. The twist was excellent. Absolutely beautiful... and I'm afraid I'll just have to repeat what everyone else says by calling it bittersweet.❤️ You're really warming me up to romance - the genre. (I know that seems odd after the story of mine you've just read... You know when you get an idea that fits a genre you never write?) I'm actually starting to LIKE it! 😁😅

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:27 Aug 24, 2024

Hi, Khadija ! Firstly, thank you for the compliment on my music taste. I love me my retro music (More than 90% of the songs I love were made before I was born. Hahahaha !). Well, I'm happy I'm helping you appreciate romance stories. What I love about romance is that it showcases what makes us human: emotions and our ability to express the loveliest of them to the person we love. And yes, it doesn't have to be fluff . Glad I could win you over ?! Hahahaha ! Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
07:45 Aug 23, 2024

This was achingly beautiful, Alexis. My heart hurts for him. Love and loss are so bittersweet, and each of us must learn to live with them, like the acceptance of death. Amazing writing!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
09:30 Aug 23, 2024

Hi, Joshua !!! Thank you so much ! Like I mentioned in the other comments, I was inspired by an advert/mini-film. Indeed, sometimes, when we aren't careful, we could lose the one we love. I'm so very happy you liked this, especially considering what a brilliant writer you are. Thank you for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
06:05 Aug 23, 2024

Filled with the sweetness of love, then the sadness of not being with his love. That was unexpectedly poignant. This new Glenn sounds too perfect to be true!! How long will he continue to appreciate her? Sad that the old Glenn seems like he will be waiting in the wings, but then he really loves her and knows he messed up. Theres a lot in a name. The great thing is you made me care and I feel sorry for someone who ‘loses’ in love. I enjoyed the language and imagery.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
06:48 Aug 23, 2024

Hi, Helen ! Like I mentioned in other comments, I was partly inspired by a fast food advert/mini film here in the Philippines where a man also thinks up of vows for the woman he loves....and isn't marrying. I'm happy you found my take poignant. I think I could say that Glenn Terrence will make good on the vows he's about to say. There a reason why Lucy, after experiencing the loss of appreciation for her with the protagonist, stayed with him and only has eyes for him. Actually, the idea of both men having the same name only came to me when ...

Reply

Helen A Smith
07:07 Aug 23, 2024

Hi Stella, I’m interested in names and how sometimes people with the same name have similar characteristics. It’s funny how ideas often come to us at the last minute. I often want to develop things, but it’s too late because it’s a tight deadline. As always, love your use of language. Also like the bittersweet nature of it.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
09:33 Aug 23, 2024

Hmmm...that is true. Sometimes, we ascribe traits to a name based on our experiences with people who carry it. I think this is also why I try to finish a story as soon as I could; sometimes an idea comes after publishing, and that would give me time to include it.

Reply

Helen A Smith
12:34 Aug 23, 2024

It’s difficult because the earlier it gets published the more likely people will read it. Obviously, reading and commenting on other people’s work helps too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Fern Everton
23:02 Aug 22, 2024

Every time I think these sorts of prompts are too cliche, I look and see what you wrote and get reminded that, in fact, they don’t have to be as cliche as I think them to be. This is a very will written yet bittersweet read, Alexis! You see into Glenn R.’s mind as he goes through his vows to Lucy, only to be snapped back to the reality that Glenn T. is the one marrying her! I’ll always enjoy stories of lost love. Wonderful job!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:24 Aug 23, 2024

Hi, Fern ! I'm glad I subverted your expectations for the prompt. Of course, as someone who loves writing romance, the wedding theme was absolutely a feast for me to conceptualise a story. Hahahaha ! May next week be the same. I actually got the idea for a secret wedding vow as the framework from a fast food advert/mini-film here in the Philippines (Only that's a bit more bittersweet, I think. The protagonist had pined for his love interest for years but never got with her). For some reason, I combined it with Wichita Lineman and came up wi...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keba Ghardt
20:18 Aug 21, 2024

All kinds of reasons to cry at a wedding. So earnest and bittersweet

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:43 Aug 22, 2024

Precisely that. Sometimes, the years in weddings aren't happy ones. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.