My Fair Lady

Submitted into Contest #254 in response to: Set your story at a Regency-themed fair.... view prompt

46 comments

Drama Historical Fiction Mystery

My Fair Lady


It happened at the fair. Our eyes locked, our hearts entwined and our lives tumbled.

Sir Carlton Winslow, my good chum from university and myself, Sir Riley Fenwick, decided to take in the ever popular local market fair to delve into delectable street fare hawked out by costermongers and imbibe in some hardy ale dispensed by wanton wrenches. The bawdy sights and cacophony of sounds would provide a good diversion from our unending pressures of the late season of concerts, ballroom galas and afternoon teas we young blades were expected to grace our presence at or be forever outcasts in the high-society realms.

What a boring and unproductive season this had turned out to be! The current crop of debutantes proved to be mousy, over-zealous gold diggers without an incomparable beauty among them. Unfortunately, we young eligible bachelors were obligated to play along if we were ever going to make a suitable marriage match made in heaven or in the history of banking for that matter. With our country being embroiled in war after war it is taking a toll on landed gentry. Dowries have been shrinking and more of us Corinthian types are being sent off to battle. Having a wife and heirs may reduce those odds. Still I would rather marry for love than for money or station in life.

“What do you say, Ole Chum, we find some street eats and see what kind of entertainment we can find. Look, vendors of all goods line the promenade with colorful drapes of fabric tents. I can smell the roasted pig and sweet breads.”

First we feasted on roasted meats and had a tipple or two then headed on down the cobblestones. We gravitated towards sounds of a harpsichord and found street musicians and dancers engaging the crowd.

“Come dance with me.” A gaily clad gypsy pulled Carlton into her arms and swung him around clouding him in veils with zills clanging merrily. He laughed as he tripped the light fantastic. Then she spun him back out to me to catch before he fell flat on his face still giggling.

We were almost run over by a dancing bear with a monkey on his back parading behind us. The red-vested monkey hopped down and sailed over the beast as he did a somersault. They joined the other performers including a contortionist, a dwarf, and a bearded lady.

On another stage a magician was amazing the public with his illusions. Down the mall a puppet show was presented. I do believe that was the infamous Punch performing a routine. Children laughed uproariously.

Nearby a strongman exhibition drew us closer. The burly fellow wielded a heavy mallet and took a swing at a metal plate attached to an upright huge scale. The ball on the scale soared to the top ringing a bell. Then he challenged the gentlemen assembled to give it a try. One white-haired macaroni stepped up no doubt to impress the fanning debutante on his arm of his manliness. Their chaperon tut-tutted behind them. Naturally, even with all his might thrown at the target the ball barely climbed the obstacle. Embarrassed the fool insisted the whole thing was rigged. I volunteered to rectify the argument and took a turn. The bell rang out true. Then Carlton, good chap, did the same. We tipped our top hats and carried on a midst the cheering.

Amid the art displays sculptors were demonstrating their craft. One could step right up and get their hands dirty creating their own masterpiece.

Further along we were tempted to enter the eating contests by the aromatic assault of funnel cakes and corn on the cob. But our bellies were still full of pulled pork.

We did come away with small token trophies for our archery feats. Then we watched a rowing contest on the river. Some rogue convinced us to enter the amateur boxing match.

So here we stood, best friends, bare-chested and bare-knuckled facing each other in a ring sparring off putting up our dukes. We would much rather be fencing one another. But we did what we could trying not to cause too much damage.

“Okay, Riley, get ready. You asked for this.”

“I'm not even the least bit angry with you. How am I supposed to knock your block off?”

Thus we sparred and volleyed back and forth. He threw a jab and I ducked, I flung an uppercut and he backed away. Jab, hook, cross, counter-punch, clinch.

Suddenly, I was dazzled. No, he hadn't landed a serious punch but I could only see stars. Stars in her eyes. The most beautiful smile in the world gazing up at me. Where had she come from? Then, POW! Carlton threw an upper cut that gobsmacked me silly and down I went.

When I had my wits about me again she was still there her brow knitted with concern, her petite gloved hands clasped in front of her. I was sure I saw a vision of an angel in a white flowing gown with gold accents bestowing her grace upon me. Even through the sweat I could detect her delicate floral scent wafting towards me.

“Oh, how horrible! Are you okay?” A sweeter than honey voice cried out. Do I prove how macho I am and jump up unscathed or play the helpless buffoon and let her care for me?

“This is all play acting! Let's get away from this mayhem, My Dear, Lady Charity.” And she was led away by that white-haired dandy followed by an older woman in drab garb.

“No, no. I can't lose you now.” I call after her but they are swallowed up in the revelry.

“Come, Carlton, let's get dressed. I must find her. She is the Incomparable I have been yearning for.”

“Don't be a fool. She is obviously spoken for. Banns may already have been announced this late in the season. Besides, he is dripping in old money. You wouldn't stand a chance. Let it rest.”

“But she doesn't love him! I could tell by the way she looked at me. I must find her. There's been a crime! She stole my heart! My Fair Lady, Charity.”




June 14, 2024 00:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

46 comments

Annie Persson
08:40 Jun 21, 2024

This was amazing. I really felt like I was there, and the language you used to describe it made me feel like I was in a Jane Austin novel. I'm going to read the next one now and I can't wait to see where this goes! :)

Reply

Mary Bendickson
12:26 Jun 21, 2024

Glad you like it. Such a nice compliment. Some think it was not finished enough so I am trying to add to it but am short on time today.

Reply

Annie Persson
13:22 Jun 21, 2024

I think it's fine, especially because you've written a second one. I'm always short on time, so don't worry about it! ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sergi Ribera
13:58 Jun 20, 2024

Thank you for this magnificent book

Reply

Mary Bendickson
15:59 Jun 20, 2024

Thank you! And thanks for the follow.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
09:27 Jun 17, 2024

Like your descriptions of the fair. Way to go, Mary.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
14:18 Jun 17, 2024

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy M
03:50 Jun 17, 2024

Great fun, thanks for reading my story.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
05:13 Jun 17, 2024

Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Howard Halsall
02:13 Jun 17, 2024

Hey Mary, What a delightfully atmospheric journey into a fairground full of distractions; curious smells and noises, and mind-jarring sights. I’d love to know how it worked out. Maybe another episode is forthcoming? HH :)

Reply

Mary Bendickson
02:55 Jun 17, 2024

This week. Riley is in dispair after all

Reply

Howard Halsall
03:13 Jun 17, 2024

Indeed :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Irene Duchess
14:41 Jun 16, 2024

Hope to hear what happens between the two, if Riley finds her or not. Fun to get emersed in the imagery. Well-told. :)

Reply

Mary Bendickson
17:42 Jun 16, 2024

Thank you. Working on sequel for this week.

Reply

Irene Duchess
18:25 Jun 16, 2024

Can't wait.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jerry Beitzel
13:59 Jun 16, 2024

Loved the vivid imagery in this, really draws you into the story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Helen A Smith
07:27 Jun 16, 2024

Fine language and you set the scene well. I can just imagine your characters wandering round and imbibing the ale and falling hopelessly in love. Fun story. Would like to hear more.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
13:25 Jun 16, 2024

Thinking of adding more this week with Riley being in dispair.

Reply

Helen A Smith
13:31 Jun 16, 2024

That’s a good idea! It would follow on well. It would be interesting to see how it’s resolved. I’m not sure I’ve got the energy to conjure up despair this week - it takes such a lot of work to write stories unless it flows naturally, but you never know.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Hannah Lynn
02:54 Jun 16, 2024

So good! Impressed with how you got the language down so perfectly! Great work.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
03:22 Jun 16, 2024

Must have remembered it from another lifetime😂.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel Rogers
02:53 Jun 16, 2024

A very fair story. 😂 Great imagery and storytelling.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
03:21 Jun 16, 2024

Thanks for the comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nita A Mozzi
23:33 Jun 15, 2024

This is so very well written! The details of the fair were fantastic to read.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
23:43 Jun 15, 2024

Thanks. So glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hazel Ide
22:06 Jun 15, 2024

Oh this is so great. Really well written and funny. I like picturing his dazed-buffoonery at the end

Reply

Mary Bendickson
23:09 Jun 15, 2024

Oh, thanks so much for the comment.😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
00:49 Jun 15, 2024

A fun story! Very entertaining! The authenticity of the vivid details paints a picture of the fair. The reader's imagination becomes immersed. Fantastic use of language that fits and expresses the historical era. Creative and whimsical. Very well done!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
02:46 Jun 15, 2024

🙏 thanks! So glad you liked it and for the compliments.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Beverly Goldberg
19:08 Jun 14, 2024

You made me see that Fair. I take it you, too, are a fan of Jane, Georgette, and Regency London. This is such a fun piece.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
19:33 Jun 14, 2024

Don't think I have ever read one. Had to research.🤔 Thanks.😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Lewis
18:21 Jun 14, 2024

I loved the vibe of your story! You've nailed the atmosphere of the fair with all those vivid descriptions. The dialogue between Sir Riley and Carlton feels natural and brings out their friendship. Plus, the humor adds a fun touch — the bit with the dancing bear. That had me grinning.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
19:35 Jun 14, 2024

Thanks. Had to work a bit for this one.😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
13:32 Jun 14, 2024

You did a wonderful job taking us back in time. I hope he finds his Fair Lady again!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
14:56 Jun 14, 2024

Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
13:22 Jun 14, 2024

Great example of creating atmosphere. I love the smell of roast pig (and the results as well), and the overall feel of the fair reminded me of the Renaissance Festival Sue and I took the grandkids to recently. I wasn’t able to respond directly to the prompt, as you saw, but you did a great job, and your skill for defining a period’s helped me hone in on the kind of historical research I need to do for the Saanvi series. Thanks!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
14:54 Jun 14, 2024

Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
06:28 Jun 14, 2024

This was such a lovely story, Mary! You did a great job here and I could see everything happening clear as day. I loved the characters too, and I could tell you put a lot of thought into this. The dialogue was amazing!! Great job as always! :)

Reply

Mary Bendickson
10:54 Jun 14, 2024

So glad you liked it. Was difficult. I didn't know anything about 'the Ton'.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
04:32 Jun 14, 2024

Oooh, fun one, Mary ! Does this protagonist even know whether or not Charity wants to marry this guy or not? If she does, then, he's in for more stars in his eyes. Hahahahaha !

Reply

Mary Bendickson
04:57 Jun 14, 2024

I think Charity is being charitable with the guy she is being courted by and would do so much better with Riley.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
02:27 Jun 14, 2024

I hope he catches up with her and she's free. Great Fair. So well described. A treat to visualize.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
02:36 Jun 14, 2024

Originally had more of a mystery/crime thought but it wasn't working out quite right. Maybe can add to this under a new prompt someday? This was a hard one for me because I was trying to do more than usual and I don't have a clue about the 'ton'. So pleased you liked it.

Reply

05:16 Jun 14, 2024

Haha. I was an avid reader of Georgette Heyer's Regency Romances, as well as heaps more of them by different authors. And of course, I've read and watched Pride and Prejudice numerous times. It is said of Georgette Heyer, "Bridgerton probably wouldn't exist without her."

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.