8 comments

Bedtime Fantasy Happy

Urban life is very hectic and annoying. Big towers, crowd, traffic and noise make you live in a confined area. Greenery is only constricted to parks. People are so busy in collecting money that they forget about their heart. Amelia never wanted to live like this. She could never imagine herself among heartless people. Destiny has her own way and man has to follow it. It was a sunny day,Amelia was walking through a busy street of Florida thinking of the movie she saw recently. She stopped near a big door. Instead of searching a calling bell.she opened the door and entered the dining area. There was a big mirror hanging on the wall. It was like a giant door with a beautiful wooden frame. Amelia could see herself entirely. She thought of her mom complaining about her excess weight. Suddenly she felt a hand on her shoulder,slowly slowly she could see the entire body of that hand starting from eyes.That blue hypnotic eyes with a thick beard expressing urge to say hello! Her heart forgot to beat. She shouted "Ahhh!! Who are you? Her eyes were closed and whole body was trembling with fear. The face with blue eyes was as much white like a vampire. Amelia lost her balance and fell down.

" Amelia, oh Amelia" Her mom shouted. Amelia opened her eyes slowly with a fear that the vampire may be just above her to drink her blood. But, she saw her mother calling her name. She quickly glanced around the room and found herself at her own room lying on the floor instead on the bed. Her mom said, " my girl, you shouted so loudly that I thought a thief entered your room. So i ran with a chopping knief." Amelia saw her mom still holding the big knief. She smiled and said, " relax mom, it was a dream. Dream of that mysterious house with a big mirror." Her mom shouted with a rage , " you and your stupid dreams. Go get ready. It's 8.30 am and you have to report before 10.00 am. Don't forget about your duties girl !"

Amelia is a nurse at a health-care hospital. She is a fresher and very dedicated towards her work. Her cute smile and soft voice adds extra essence to her work. Her energetic friendly nature makes a special place in the heart of every patient she meets.

After punching the attendance machine Amelia went towards head nurse's cabin to take the duty chart. When the lift came down. Doctor Smith came out. He is an assistant neuro- surgeon in that hospital. He has a charming personality. Amelia had a crush on him, because he was handsome but not tall like a palm tree, he never flirts with any female staff and doesn't smoke. Amelia hate smokers. She finds herself suffocated when surrounded by smokers. Suddenly she lost in her thoughts remembering her childhood memories with an ugly past. Her house was on the country side. It was a small house, surrounding by mahogany trees with a beautiful garden at the front.Most of the time Amelia used spent her time seating on the garden and watching the birds fly. The garden was Amelia's heaven. Each and every plant of the garden were so dear to her that she named every of them. She planted many yellow roses and sunflower in that garden. One day her father came overdrunk. Suddenly he slipped and fell down at the door and never wake up.Amelia was left fatherless. She was crying not only for her father's death but also for the house which was going for auction. Her father mortgaged the house and borrowed some money. As he is no more so the bank went out for auction. It was then, her mother and she came to the city in search of a housea and a job.

The lift reached 10th floor and the door opened with a bell sound. " Hello Amelia darling!" a rough hand was trying to hold amelia's hand. Amelia walked cautiously to one side with a fake smile. It was John .Head of hospital's canteen service and an active member of hospital's inner politics. He used to flirt with each girl he met.He has a special attention towards Amelia. Whenever Amelia saw John's face ,'Thanos' image came out in her mind.After greeting head nurse mrs.Nancy, Amelia asked for her duty chart. Mrs.nancy gave a piece of paper. Amelia looked at it,only an address was written on it. Amelia said "madam you gave me a wrong paper. Please give me my duty chart." With a smile Mrs. Nancy said ,"No my dear girl I have given you the right paper you have to go to the address and take care of an old lady. Amelia smiled and left 'Mr. Lean Devis, Lane 5, market Square' looking at that paper she reached the address.A big house painted in pink colour. Ameila pressed the calling bell with little nervousness because this was her first outside hospital duty. Someone opened the door and Ameila got a mild heart attack after seeing. Yes! Blue eyes on handsome white face exactly like her morning dream. " It cannot be true not at all" Ameila mind was explaining itself. " Hello nurse , please come in." Ameila followed the voice. Crossing a well decorated hall, they reached the bedroom. An old lady was laying on a bed. In a slow voice he said " meet my grandmother Mrs miller Davis. You have to take care of her. She is little moody. Sometimes, she behaves rudely but if you can win her heart she will love you the most." Granny woke up by hearing the whispering sound. " O Liam whom are you talking with?" After seeing Amelia, she said, "your new girlfriend? Thank god atlast you choose a girl." Amelia and Liam both get fumbled comforting the situation, Liam said, " granny! I will only marry the girl of your choice, get well soon first. Grandmother smiled and tried to seat. Liam helped her by giving a pillow at her back. Then pointing towards Amelia Liam said , " granny meet your new nurse, Ms Amelia. Mrs. Nancy has sent her. From today onwards she will take care of you promise me you will cooperate with her." Looking at her Granny  said, " but if she will yawn while reading my bed time stories I will fire her." Liam laughed and said Amelia be careful.

Amelia started working. She left home before 7 a.m at morning and came back after granny fell asleep. Amelia owned granny's heart in just a few days with her lovely behaviour. They played indoor games, watch movies. Amelia took granny to the park in the evening. Sometimes Liam also went with them.

One day at the afternoon granny said, " Amelia can you make pumpkin soup for me?" Amelia got confused because she didn't know where the kitchen was, and she didn't know the recipe so well. After thinking for a while Amelia said, "ok granny, i will do it but you have to help me with it. You have to guide me in making the dish ready. Granny picked her walking stick and gave command " follow me girl." While passing the dinning area Ameila saw a big mirror on the wall. She was outstrucked. That was exactly the same big mirror she used to see in her dream. Granny called Amelia to hurry up but she was totally lost in her thoughts after watching the big door like mirror. Granny said " oh poor girl. Don't get attracted by that magical mirror. There is a magical land inside it. But unfortunately member of Davis family can only go there." Both laughed loudly. Amelia said, "as far as I know 'Disney' is the only magic land on the earth and going there is my dream." 

After telling a Disney land story. Amelia took her back to her bed and said goodbye . In the hall, Amelia saw Liam sitting holding his head down. Amelia thought, ' should I inform him or go silently? He might be in some work pressure. Oh he may have a headache. Amelia you are a nurse and it's your duty to help sick person.' Amelia went near Liam and said "sir, anything wrong?" Her voice was so low, that Liam could not hear. "Mr. Davis, do you have a headache?" Amelia asked loudly this time. Liam lifted up his face to see Amelia. His blue eyes were flooded and tear drops were rolling down his cheeks. Amelia sat down on the floor near him and asked "Mr. Davis, what happened? Do you have anything to share? My mom always say that " A sorrow shared is a sorrow halved if you share with others." You can share with me. I will not judge you, l promise." Liam gave her a piece of paper to read. That was a medical report of granny. " We are sorry to inform you that heart transplantation of Mrs. M.Davis couldn't be perform due to age." Amelia put her hand on Liam's shoulder to solace him. But, Liam cried like a child and hugged Amelia. Amelia was shocked with this unexpected thing. At first she stood like a lifeless statue but when tear drops fell on her shoulder she hugged back. Suddenly they both got separated by hearing a clapping sound . Granny was clapping with a naughty smile. Liam tried to give explanation. "No need of explanation my little boy. I have seen everything. Now go and drop her at home." 

Next day Amelia was reading a magic land story. Granny was listening her so seriously that her expression was changing with the climax. Liam enter the room and sat near granny. Amelia remembered the condition of ' No interpretation during story time' so she continued. When the story ended up, granny hold Liam's hand and said " Take my princes to our magical world. Don't you dare to say no to me. I want you to show her the magical world ." 

After few minutes Liam held Ameila's hand and took her to the dinning area. Infront of that big mysterious mirror, Liam asked Amelia to close her eyes. Amelia was shocked. Her dream was repeating. Liam came closer and put a hand on her eyes. With a knock sound Liam remove his hand. Amelia Saw the magic land. Yes,the ground was covered with soft grass. A big beautiful garden surrounded with big walls, Beautiful flowers, birds,little pond with white lily, butterflies were making it more magical.

Amelia pinched herself "oh my god,is this real?" She looked at him in a confused state. With a smile Liam said ,"Don't be too surprised.You are in a real world. Davis family own this garden and take care of it .No one knows about it except us. The big boundaries look like row of house from outside. My grandfather's father planned this garden." 

   Liam took Amelia towards the yellow rose plants " please stand for a while i'm coming."

   In a few minutes Liam came with a little rose plant. Liam knelt down Infront of Amelia and said " Amelia I can't pluck any flower. Will you be my garden partner will you take care of my heart with this garden. Will you marry me ?"

   Tear rolled down on Ameila's face. She also knelt down and held the plant. " Yes! I will" Amelia said in a chocked voice. They kissed each other and lived happily ever after. 

   Dreams can be true,so keep watching.

July 23, 2021 14:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Trisha Ganan
10:12 Aug 04, 2021

I really enjoyed the story - the plot was great. I would just like to suggest planning time to re-read your story with fresh eyes to avoid any typos and even add more ideas. Stephen King highly recommends it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sharon Marcus
12:28 Jul 29, 2021

This is a nice story. Though the typos, formatting errors and structuring slowed it down. Read it out loud or have someone read it for you.

Reply

Sasmita Sahoo
04:42 Jul 30, 2021

Thank you so much for your review. I will keep all your suggestion in my mind. Actually this is my first story in English language. I used to write in my regional language odia.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sasmita Sahoo
04:43 Jul 30, 2021

Thank you so much for your review. I will keep all your suggestion in my mind. Actually this is my first story in English language. I used to write in my regional language odia.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sharon Marcus
18:13 Jul 30, 2021

You are welcome

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
09:49 Jul 28, 2021

Nice story but some twist will make this story more milage

Reply

Sasmita Sahoo
02:44 Jul 29, 2021

Thanks for your opinion. I will keep it in mind next time.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sasmita Sahoo
02:44 Jul 29, 2021

Thanks for your opinion. I will keep it in mind next time.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.