The Underground Burrow

Submitted into Contest #97 in response to: Start your story with an unexpected knock on a window.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Adventure Kids

I woke up in seconds with a knock on my bedroom window. It was spine-chilling. I was solitary in my pitch black room. I tiptoed near the window, fear was circulating in my cold body. My nerves were frozen with terror. I didn't feel of switching on the light either.

I went near the window ; opened it. It was terrifying! The darkness flooded the whole

city ; it was a starlit-night. Bats were flying like floating trays in the sky, but unfortunately there were no cups on them! The cool breeze kept on entering my bedroom without my

say-so. I was about to close the window, but something asked me to look around carefully. I took a watch. Then, between my Brother's carrot plants and the overgrown apple tree, which gave fruits the whole summer and spring, I saw a small piece of wood. There was nothing, it was just a piece of wood! So silly, isn't it? Even though it was quite funny at that time, I knew that a fire was going to be lit by that silly wood, itself!

Mom used to keep the garden so clean. She won't even let us throw a banana skin for compost as our Science teacher said. I didn't feel like going out and throwing the wood away, but I felt a difference in my brain and it was forcing me. I didn't know what to do other than to do what it said. I went downstairs and crawled with the torch in hand. At last, I was there, near the piece of wood. I took my cold hands and held the wood as tight as I could, but it didn't come out at all. I tried it many times, but it didn't work. It was stuck on the ground. I took the shovel and took it off with all my might. And ......... would you ever believe! I saw a burrow underground.......an underground burrow. I was surprised and I was shocked as well. I kept the wooden piece as it was ; brought some buttercup flower pots and kept them in front of the wooden piece. In other words I kept them in front of the burrow. I brought a lot of flower pots, that were planted by me, and kept them steadily around the hole.

I went to bed like dad used to go, after coming home from work like a bent chilli. I was delighted and a small fear was slightly flooding my mind. Next day, I got ready to go to school with fear deep inside my mind. At recess, I told my friends ; Teddy, Fredy, Manny and Fanny all about this unbelievable silly thing! They were ecstatic, but they covered it saying that it's silly and it's a funny joke. I had no way to explain them, so the only way to make them believe was to ask them to come up to my house after school. My friends and I ran to the place where I had kept my gorgeous buttercup plants, but to our horror the hole wasn't there ! Would you imagine? ' It was there, last night, ' I argued with my friends for sometime when mom came! We just scattered away like seeds and started talking about dinosaurs.

' Today, we learnt about dinosaurs at school, ' I said without looking much at mom.

' So, um.... I too learnt about dinosaurs! They are young, beautiful, ecstatic and very mathematical, ' said Fredy. My face turned red after hearing those silly vocabulary. Fredy uses words that he really doesn't know, so it's embarrassing to be near him when he speaks.

' Oh, yeah. They were very mathematical. I just wonder why they became extinct, if they were there we wouldn't need any rude maths teachers in our classes!' Teddy replied for the sake of it.

Mom went away frowning at us. I thought she got the hint, that we were lying. Time went so fast. I asked my friends to come up to my house that night. Well, I asked mom for permission after asking them! She said,' If ya want, but don't mess my garden!' Well, they are coming for an investigation in the garden, itself! Lol

The door bell rang at around 7:30pm and they swam in. I was so elated that I had only half of my dinner. We all ran into my bedroom and gazed at the apple tree for a long time. Nothing happened. My friends started making jokes at me. Mom and dad switched off the lights at 9:00pm.

We were staring out of the window. 12:00 midnight struck. The surrounding was unlit.

'See, see, ' I whispered.

Everybody looked at my pointed hand, and on the edge of my finger was the piece of wood! The burrow! The underground burrow!

We sauntered out of the house into the garden with our torches.

'Oh, it's true, ' commented Manny and Fanny at once.

'Ha ha, see I'm some sort of a scientist!' I replied proudly.

'Don't be too big for your boots!' said Fredy.

'Alright, now let's open this and see!' said Teddy.

We opened it and found the burrow. We seized our torches and made a look inside the burrow! Would you ever imagine that there was a bed, but it wasn't so clear! We were terrified thinking that it might be a pixie living out there. Then we made a plan to get in. We went to fetch the ladder when I heard mom's voice. We followed the voice and found her in the balcony, talking to the next door balcony guys. I still wonder what mom was doing until midnight! The ladder was right below mom's balcony. I stitched myself to the wall and little by little, I went near the ladder. Hopefully, the other balcony guys weren't gossiping into our garden. However, those guys were about to look down when Manny ran to the opposite direction and started to say Hi to the other balcony guys! I was overwhelmed to find him using his brain even once! I raised the ladder slowly and moved slinkly on the wet dews. We came near the burrow and let the ladder go in. Fortunately, the ladder was to the right size. Then, a problem occurred.

'Now, who's gonna get in first?' Fanny asked in horror.

I knew that it was me, who's gonna be the victim as it was me who found it.

I clambered down slowly with torch lights from up, like moons. The heart beat rose like water.

My feet felt the floor. The others came down quietly. The floor was made of wood, so it was so cool.

The room was full of dust. There was a shelf full of fascinating books, a very comfy bed, a brown table, a rocking chair and a blue carpet laid down on the floor.

There was a broom as well. Then, a door was there. We opened it with fear and it opened, with a creaky sound. It was a bathroom! It had pink tiles. However, it was so dusty as well!

We started cleaning the whole place. At around 3:00am, Fredy shouted out with a paper in hand. We rushed to have a look and this is what it said ;

'Welcome to my room!

I'm Mr. Magician from Universe. I'll die tomorrow as I've lived for 100 years here. The person who's gonna find this place is a very meritorious person so he may live here ; remember, you ain't even born in this world when I'm writing this letter. It'll be a lot of fun being here! Try it out. You'll love it so much!

Hopefully,

Mr. MAGICIAN. '

I was so proud and felt that I'm so important so I didn't mind my friends saying ;' Don't be a big cheese, Diddy! '

June 10, 2021 11:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.