0 comments

Funny Contemporary Asian American

“What a tiring work.” Thought Cesar, if only they could rush through the job applications. He looked at the piles of folder left to them by his college classmate and colleague Kaj who just went abroad. He opened their email and scrolled through the applicants. There are a lot of fresh graduates ready to be burned out soon, He grinned. 16 applicants for four vacant jobs, 2 days more before it closes. He closed the tabs and shut the computer, he closed all power and left the guards to do the rest.

               He went directly to the gym. He lifted the marvels and near him was a lady, a little chubby, clothe with neoprene sweat shirt and she seems new to the gym especially with the female gym assistant with her. She run at low pace and is hardly breathing. He continued lifting the marvels and continued some stretching. She noticed the lady increasing its pace to run and always keep on seeing if her clothes got a little wet. “Tsk, tsk” Cesar reproved. The lady looked at her and confidently smiled. He just gave an encouraging smile.

               He reported early for the job interviews, and was surprised to see four people already waiting with the guards. The Syniad Shine Corporation glimmered brightly as always on the entrance. He fixed his walking and felt a little dignified entering the company with the applicants looking at him. He helped arrange the job panel interview area, for the Human Resource Officer, the OIC Director and him the planning and research officer. Many potential employees, impressive resumes, fresh graduates; however, one resume caught his attention, nine skills, five work experience, many seminars and workshops attended at the age of 23. He looked up at the owner and find the lady whom she saw at the gym. The lady smiled enthusiastically. He looked again at her application letter and found that she is applying for the vacant position under their research and planning office as a Research Analyst. Graduate of Bachelor in Office management at 21, Civil service passer, had worked as an administrative clerk in the Mayor’s office after graduation, worked as a Research Assistant under Zafire company, WordPress developer for Care company, Newspaper lay-out artist for Tala Publication, Assistant secretary for BFAR organization. Five work experience in two years. Skills range from, Journalist, Researcher, Website developer, Costumer service, leadership, and many more, plus multi-tasking, Cesar grinned.

               “Miss Cruz, if we were to hire you? What could you contribute to the company?” Mrs. Ray the Human Resource Development officer asked.

               “As a research Analyst, I have a lot of skills and learnings related to research and the nature of costumers and products that I could execute and maximize to provide better innovations and development for the company.” She answered confidently, both of his fellow interviewers smiled.

               “Just in case, you’ll get hired, are you willing to work in the company for a long time?” Mr. Cesar straightly asked making also his fellow interviewer look at Miss Shania Cruz. She was taken aback.

               “Yes of course, so I could hone and develop my skills as research analyst and develop my skills and capabilities so I could contribute more to the company.” She hesitatingly replied.

               Mr. Cesar went to the gym after the job interview and scanned the place for miss Shania, she is not on the treadmill run machine. He took his marvels and lifted them as he looks forward him at the edge of the gym, he saw Miss Shania trying to lift weights. He put back his marvels, Miss Shania caught her and was to approach him but he immediately left and went back to the office.

               He looked straightly at the ratings of the job applicants, and four are already marked hired. Including Miss Shania Cruz, she had the highest ratings out of the three applicants for research analyst. He frowned. He put it back and he scanned through the papers left by Kaj. Kaj was his fellow research officer and they had conducted a lot of successful projects and researches together. It had been tough working days lately without his Pro and excellent partner in the field of research.

The next week, the newly hired employees reported including Shania on her bright office outfit. She enthusiastically entered the Research and Planning office and introduced her self to Mr. Cesar and two more employee on their office.

“Okay, so I want you to review these papers, this was our previous works and researches and I would love to hear some review for you, this coming Wednesday will be the due and send it on my email.” Mr. Cesar gave her the thick piles of paper and she smilingly accepted it while later on wretched on the thickness and weight of it. She read some of it, while typing her reviews on her table desktop. She scarcely moves through the pages; she always looks at Mr. Cesar and get back again on the research thinking and tapping the papers with her pencil. She kept on doing it and Mr. Cesar having noticed it, asked.

“Yes, do you have any questions?”

“Sir, I was wondering about the format of my review paper as well as the parameters of to what extent I am going to give my views on it. If you don’t mind, I also would love to see the actual results of these researches.” She embarrassingly asked. Mr. Cesar raised his eyebrow while listening to her request.  He compliantly gave her the freedom to do any type of review she can, and made her access the marketing blueprint and product innovation as the result of their previous researches.

She had made good friends with their officemate and even from other rooms. She diligently complies with the other tasks that was given to her; however, he rarely sees her working on the review. He disallowed any attachments and only talk to her on matters that concerns work. He was waiting for the review Wednesday evening. He was about to sleep when she received an email 10:37 pm. He read through it to see how the product of their previous researches, had been given a lot of suggestions, recommendations and comments especially with how the products such as the creation of websites, marketing strategies did not match the research output. He was amazed with the broad knowledge she has, concerning marketing, website designs, product innovations, customer care and she even wrote her review on an organized manner. She even had a message attached to it, “Sir, Am I too honest?” He smiled. But still he wondered, how long would she last?

January 29, 2021 17:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.