54 comments

Romance Mystery

"You are the love of my life, and I promise I'll always find you, even centuries later."

"How is that even possible, darling? Are you saying that we will live forever?" replied a beautiful woman, whose eyes sparkled with happiness and whose smile was a man's favorite thing in the world.

"That's not quite what I meant, but you almost got it, sweetheart," he replied.

"What I'm saying," a man continued, "is that you'll always be the one, looking at whom, I'd feel like the wave has covered me. It's like a slight electric shock that goes through my body when I see a person with curly hair of coffee color, thinking it's you. But I know that I'll never confuse you with anybody else because your big and kind heart, wondrous soul, and bright mind make you so special. I'll always recognize you among millions of people because when I think of love, you always appear on my mind, April," said a handsome guy, whose eyes were watering after this sincere speech. 

The man hugged his wife, kissing her forehead, and inhaling the smell of her musky perfume. He wanted to stop the time and remember this moment for the rest of his life, and he did

###

We hit the road and reached our destination within 5 hours. It was quite hot outside because it was the first month of summer. The air was heavy and the conditioner in the car saved me from that heat. The time passed quickly because I was asleep, or looked in the window imagining I was in a music video. 

The place we were heading to was the house of my great-grandparents, in which they used to live before moving to another state long ago. I've never been at this place because they've passed away a couple of years before I was born, and their neighbors took care of the house, so my parents visited it only a few times because they knew there was nothing to worry about. However, my sister is getting married soon, so we thought it would be nice if she and her fiance could live there after the wedding. 

I got out of the car, and there was a large house in front of me. It had big windows that let the light from the outside into the rooms; in front of it, there was a green garden with apples, peaches, and some herbs. A squeaky wooden staircase that welcomed everyone who paid a visit. When I opened the door, I felt like it was not the first time I did that because the doorknob fit in my hand so easily.  Somehow, I knew that there would be a small vestibule with an umbrella stand, a plant in a vase, and clocks with a secret section for keys. 

Well, these might be just my fantasies mixed with my parents' stories from their childhood, which they remembered and told during family gatherings. I entered the hall and looked around. Everything felt so familiar and strange at the same time. It was like when you return home after being away for a long time and try to understand what's changed. But it often turns out that the only thing that has altered is your own perception and mindset. 

I decided to take a small tour around the house. Although I don't have any memories that could be associated with some objects in there, this place brought about such a nostalgic sense of comfort. I entered the bedroom, which smelled of wood and old books and saw photos on the cabinet. I've always been told that I look exactly like my great-grandfather, and, sometimes, even act just like he did. Even though I never saw him, I could easily imagine his voice, gestures, and moves because I've heard so much about him from my relatives. I can't say if we are truly that much alike, but I can neither reject nor admit as only other people could notice these similarities. 

I looked at the picture of the family member after whom I was named when I heard my mother's voice, coming from the attic, "Alfred, come up here and help me with these boxes."

“I’ll be there in a minute, mom,” I replied while putting the picture in a frame in its place. I looked around, wondering how many events the walls of this bedroom have witnessed. I ran my fingers through my hair, removing a strand from my forehead and headed to the door. When I went upstairs, I came into the room with many cabinets, a big desk, and boxes of different sizes, where numerous notebooks, newspaper clippings, and photo albums lay. 

“What are we going to do with all that stuff, mom?” I asked.

“I’m not sure, son, but we need to go through them and decide whether these are worth keeping and neatly organize them. Your great-grandad loved taking notes and keeping small things that remembered him of different moments. He told us that it helped him not to let any of the memories fade into oblivion,” she said. 

“Oh, I see. Maybe going through his diaries will help me understand what he was like and see why you continue comparing us,” I replied, smirking at her. 

“I’m sure you will, Alfie, because sometimes I look at you, and it’s like my own grandpa is looking at me from the times when he was young,” my mom continued, and a shudder went through her.

I opened the boxes, and a cloud of dust came up, making me sneeze multiple times in a row. There were letters and dried flowers, ribbons, and tickets from flights, trains, and movies. I have even found a small bottle of perfume that smelled very nicely, having strong hints of wood, spices, and powder. I picked up a random notebook and opened a page in the middle of it. 

“Today, my lovely April and I went to the park to feed birds and eat ice-cream. She was wearing a dress with flower prints, and I was wearing a smile. She maid her hair up that day and put locks behind her ear when the wind was blowing. We laughed over many things and hugged a lot. Even now, when I’m writing this after a couple of hours when we said goodbyes, I still can smell her perfume on my shirt, and I love it. I adore her to my very core. It makes my heart beat faster when she calls me “darling.” I think I will propose to her because I’m convinced that if somebody makes your eyes sparkle and brings light into your soul, you should never let that person go. I love her freckles and hugs; the way she raises her brow when she asks something; rings on her fingers and the concentrated look on her face when she reads books; the way she talks and the words she invents when describing something; her small height and when she stands on tiptoes to give me a kiss. I don’t think I could love anybody more than I love her, and this thought makes me want to run to her apartment and ask her to marry me right now. I feel like the luckiest man in the world because we both exist in the same place and time.”

Wow, I didn’t expect to read anything that emotional, but somehow, I could feel what my great-grandfather was describing. It was something like deja vu, and I knew how that park looked like and which ring he wanted to buy. That gave me goosebumps, and I decided to see clippings from newspapers. On one of them, there was a photo of two young and attractive people who have been wearing wedding costumes. 

Congratulations to the Buckleys! Alfred and April had their June wedding, which is symbolic because that’s the month they first met each other three years ago. We want to wish good fortune to the newlyweds and may love be forever in their hearts!” 

I assumed that it was a greeting from my great-grandparents’ friends. It made me smile, thinking how happy they must have been on that day. I flipped through other diaries and read about Alfred’s experiences and feelings. He was describing everything with so much detail that it felt like it was me who went through all those events. There were ups and downs, joy, and sadness, but their love for each other was the only constant.

I decided to take a break from going down the memory lane of my grandpa and explore the place. I was hungry and wanted to buy something to eat. The problem was that I didn’t know where to find a shop. 

“Hi! Excuse me, do you know how I could get to the store?” I asked a lady who was passing by. She looked gorgeous, and I smelled her perfume from a distance; that smell was so familiar, but I couldn’t understand where I knew it from. 

Hi, darling,” she replied. And an electric shock got through me. 

Wait, who is she? It can’t be real; it’s not possible. Different thoughts went through my mind.

She continued by saying, “The shop isn’t far away, and I’m on my way there right now. You can go with me if you want,” a lady smiled and raised a brow, waiting for my reply.

I was so confused and just stared at her in the eye.

“Are you okay?” she asked me. She had a lovely accent. Her words made me flinch, and I replied:

“I’m sorry. I was  thinking. And, yeah, it would be nice if you could show me where the store is.” 

She said, “It’s fine, by the way, haven’t we met before? Because I have a feeling that I know you.”

“No, I’m sure that if we had met before, I would never forget that,” I said, smiling at her and blushing.

“What’s your name, darling?” she asked.

“Alfie. And yours?

April. My name is April.”

###

And that was the moment it all made sense. That was her. The love of his life was there, right in front of him. 

“I promised I’ll always find you. As you can see, the time didn’t stop me from doing that,” said a man to his bride, who was listening to his wedding vow. 

“Yeah, just like you promised, darling. Time means nothing when there is true love, right?” replied a beautiful, petite lady with hair of coffee color. She got on tiptoes and kissed him.

August 21, 2020 22:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

54 comments

... This is amazing! She found her love, it all ended on a high note. Great job, I really want to read it again :)

Reply

Velma Darnell
17:10 Aug 22, 2020

Thanks for your kind words, Kendra!

Reply

Your welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Doubra Akika
12:30 Aug 22, 2020

Velma! I loved this! Love is something I feel everyone should get to experience. One of my favourite quotes is a John Green quote which says, "I don't believe that everyone gets to keep their eyes or not get sick or whatever, but everybody should have true love, and it should last as long as your life does." Your writing is so beautiful and I'm so happy I read this. The note was absolutely beautiful! Please take care of yourself and stay safe!

Reply

Velma Darnell
13:31 Aug 22, 2020

Thanks for your kind words, Doubra! I truly appreciate that you read my story and shared your thoughts. I loved that John Green's quote, it's so deep :) Have a great day!

Reply

Doubra Akika
13:36 Aug 22, 2020

It was my pleasure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Scout Tahoe
14:56 Aug 23, 2020

Hi, Velma. This is a great story that stirred up so many emotions. I agree with Doubra and her John Green quote, everyone should be able to have a true love in their life. I'm really glad I read this because its so inspiring and I love how you formed the prompt into it. Keep writing!

Reply

Velma Darnell
19:05 Aug 23, 2020

Thanks for your kind words, Scout! I'm glad your read and enjoyed the story :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Great job! I really liked the notes they were so beautifully written. I loved how you wrote about something as powerful as love and described it so vividly. Great work.

Reply

Velma Darnell
16:38 Aug 22, 2020

Oooh, thank you for reading my story, Alainna :) I truly appreciate your feedback, it means so much to me!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Roshna Rusiniya
06:41 Aug 22, 2020

Beautiful story. Loved the note!

Reply

Velma Darnell
09:53 Aug 22, 2020

Thank you, Roshna :)

Reply

Roshna Rusiniya
10:21 Aug 22, 2020

You are welcome! If you have time, please have a look at mine too. Thanks! :)

Reply

Velma Darnell
11:02 Aug 22, 2020

Sure, I'll read it in a bit!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
X Y
20:24 Oct 19, 2020

This is such a beautiful story.

Reply

Velma Darnell
21:31 Oct 20, 2020

Thank you so much for reading it, Daniella!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
HL Love
15:45 Aug 28, 2020

What a neat story. Thanks for sharing about a love that is undaunted by space or time.

Reply

Velma Darnell
20:43 Aug 28, 2020

Thanks for reading the story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Lee
01:35 Aug 28, 2020

that was a really nice read. Thank you so much for sharing. I really found nothing to critique, except to give a lot of pats on your back! I enjoyed it. Good job! Keep writing, and hey, if you have time will you come read any of my stories? Like "The Cecil Greene Story?"

Reply

Velma Darnell
12:37 Aug 28, 2020

Wow, thanks for such a lovely comment, Becky! Sure, I'll be glad to check out your story :)

Reply

Rebecca Lee
14:02 Aug 28, 2020

Thank you, I would appreciate some feedback. It is the only way we can ll learn!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
15:14 Aug 26, 2020

Charming! I love a love story. Very warm and inviting characterization. Minor comments: spell out numerals under 10. Watch your diction - keep it formal. In the first part, use gentleman or men instead of "guy." The first part could be italicized, contrasting to the shift to 1st person. Also, use single quotes inside double quotes. Keep the dialogue crisp and to the point. Don't have anyone go on and on, as it gets tedious. Wonderful job. Fun to read!

Reply

Velma Darnell
15:42 Aug 26, 2020

Thanks for your feedback, Deidra! I truly appreciate your comments, and will keep them in mind when writing the next submissions. Again, thanks for taking the time to read the story :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Bianka Nova
19:22 Aug 25, 2020

Lovely story. Something positive to read in today's strange world ;) There almost isn't anything significant to note. I just saw this one: "Your great-grandad loved taking notes and keeping small things that remembered him of different moments" - should read "reminded him", and I think there was something else, but I got interrupted while reading and now I cannot remember what it was or find it. XD

Reply

Velma Darnell
11:43 Aug 26, 2020

Thanks for reading and leaving your comment, Bianka! Oh, I didn't notice that mix-up with words until now although I proofread the story multiple times, lol.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Thom With An H
18:42 Aug 25, 2020

There is no story like a timeless love story. You did such a great job of intertwining the past and present and your foreshadowing was exactly right. Your writing is high quality, your story is so very readable. This was a triumph. Thanks for inviting me to read. It was a joy.

Reply

Velma Darnell
18:52 Aug 25, 2020

Aww, thank you very much for this lovely feedback, Thom! Such comments truly inspire me to write more and thanks for taking the time to read my story, I truly appreciate it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Deborah Angevin
23:43 Aug 24, 2020

A lovely story that is beautifully written. The first sentence grabs my attention right away, and I'm so happy to read this! Great job, Velma! P.S: would you mind checking my recent story out, "Yellow Light"? Thank you :D

Reply

Velma Darnell
09:16 Aug 25, 2020

Thanks for reading and enjoying the story, Deborah! Sure, I'll check it out in a little bit.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Pragya Rathore
05:08 Aug 24, 2020

The first line was so romantic. I thought the man was proposing :) This story was beautifully written, and I honestly enjoyed reading it a lot! The last line seemed to really sum it up in a line! I love sweet romances, and this was certainly one. Awesome job, keep it up! Please check out my stories too, if you get the time :p

Reply

Velma Darnell
19:53 Aug 24, 2020

Thanks for reading the story, Pragya! I am so glad that you enjoyed it and left the comment :) Sure, I'll check out your stories in a bit!

Reply

Pragya Rathore
03:50 Aug 25, 2020

My pleasure :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
14:30 Aug 23, 2020

Wow, Velma!! I love this. Usually I wouldn't go for a mushy gushy romance, but this one caught me from the first sentence. A job well done.

Reply

Velma Darnell
14:40 Aug 23, 2020

Thanks for reading the story and leaving the comment, Megan!

Reply

Megan Sutherland
15:40 Aug 23, 2020

Of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Keerththan 😀
07:38 Aug 23, 2020

Wow!!!!! I loved the ending. Wonderful story, Velma. Well written and fit to the prompt. Great job. Would you mind reading my new story "secrets don't remain buried?"

Reply

Velma Darnell
18:56 Aug 25, 2020

Thanks for your feedback, Keerththan!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yolanda Wu
03:35 Aug 23, 2020

This was such an intriguing story, you had me hooked right from the beginning. Your descriptions and the overall narrative were so nice. Amazing work!

Reply

Velma Darnell
10:04 Aug 23, 2020

Thank you very much for reading my story, Yolanda! I truly appreciate your feedback :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Vanessa Marczan
22:06 Aug 22, 2020

Hi Velma, this is a lovely story, a very sweet sentiment through it. You have some really nice imagery here. There's a quite a lot that can be tightened up, some explanation that can be replaced with action. For example: I decided to take a small tour around the house Could be something like, 'That feeling, the nostalgia, the familiarity, grew stronger as I moved through the rooms in the house.' And then you could pick just one, sensory or emotive feeling that stands out in each room- this way, you are showing Alfred taking a tour of t...

Reply

Velma Darnell
09:35 Aug 23, 2020

Thanks for your feedback, Vanessa! I truly appreciate your suggestions and example. Now when you wrote it, I see that I could have included more actions and feelings instead of explanations. I'll make sure to keep it in mind while writing the next submission. I believe that practice makes perfect and will try to pay attention to "show, not tell" :) Again, thanks for reading my story, it means a lot to me!

Reply

Vanessa Marczan
10:23 Aug 23, 2020

Hahah no worries mate- and don't stress, we are all trying to find our way to 'showing not telling', and then knowing when to tell and not show! Practice practice practice for all of us :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lynn Penny
21:23 Aug 22, 2020

This was beautiful! I loved the intro scene and then the transgression to modern day. This was a unique take on the family secret, I love the fact that you took a twist on reincarnation and made it work so wonderfully. Keep up the awesome writing!

Reply

Velma Darnell
10:06 Aug 23, 2020

Oooh, thank you for such a nice comment, Lynn! Thank you for taking the time to read my story, I really appreciate it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:18 Aug 22, 2020

This was so good! I love the plot and deeefinitely that ending. Awesome job! Keep writing!

Reply

Velma Darnell
14:40 Aug 22, 2020

Thanks for your feedback, Aerin!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristin Neubauer
14:01 Aug 22, 2020

What a great romance and mystery all rolled into one. I loved all the foreshadowing and hints of what was to come. You had me from beginning to end. Fantastic, Velma!

Reply

Velma Darnell
14:16 Aug 22, 2020

What a nice comment, Kristin! I'm so glad that you read and liked the story :) Thanks for your feedback! Have a wonderful day :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.