Norowareta Gekijou (The Cursed Theater) (呪われた劇場)

Submitted into Contest #61 in response to: Write about a character discovering something new about their past that changes how they remember an important moment.... view prompt

5 comments

Fiction Thriller Middle School

INTRODUCTION

High school is the most exciting stage in my life...I'm excited to make a lot of friends... meet more teachers... and join the most exciting club in our school. Until that day, the darkest event in my life happened…in that club… where many people died…in that place they called…“The Cursed Theater.”

“Kuro!” Someone knocked so loud on my door at 7:00am, 4th of July. It was the fourth of July when Risa (28 years old) and Jun (27 years old) invited me to go to our high school reunion in the Grand Chestnut Grove. I was so shocked that my feet were frozen and my body was trembling…

“Risa, I already told you that I will not go anymore to any high school reunion,” I said. Yes, after we graduate, even once, I never attended a single high school reunion. “I’m a failure,” I said to Risa.

“Woahhh, Mr. Detective…” Jun interrupted my melancholic words. “Don’t call me that anymore,” I said. “If you do not want to go to our high school reunion, let’s go somewhere else…” Risa grinned cheerfully.

And as I expected, they brought me to a theater…A theater that is different from ours in high school. We were watching a theatrical play entitled “The Prince and the Four Maidens.” I was so…so… so bored during the first half of the play that I was able to sleep so much. Until the ending of that second half of the play…I was terrified.

CHAPTER 1

The Tragedy

12 years ago…

“I will get that main role! No matter what happens!” Jun shouted. We were on top of a cliff with Risa who is happily playing a mobile game called “Flappy Bird.” She was so intense to beat her high score, but when it was just about 2 points to beat the high score, that shouting of Jun interrupted her.

“What the heck Jun!” Risa shouted angrily. “I’ll tell you this. Hayato is way… way… better than you!!!”

Jun pouted like a child. He really knows how good Hayato is to take the main role of the upcoming play: The Prince and the Four Maidens. In fact, Hayato has always been the leading actor of the plays for the past 3 years. He also achieved multiple awards of being the Best Actor in various theatrical competitions.

“I know Hayato is better than me…But…no matter what happens, one day, I’ll crash him and be the best actor this world never heard of! HAHAHA,” he laughed like a villain. Jun has been the head of the scriptwriting group of the club. He has been longing for the main actor role of any play. However, even if he is so confident in front of me and Risa, he’s actually a coward who’s afraid to go on stage and perform in front of many people.

Risa is a great actress. She has been playing multiple roles, either a protagonist or a villain. On the other hand, I am part of the Set and Props Department. Honestly, it was a tiring job to do a lot of props, but I enjoyed a lot.

“Kuro! Risa! Jun! Madame V is already calling you! The practice for the play will start in 5 minutes! Hurry up!” Sarina, our stage manager said while running.

At Seikou High School Theater…

           “Lights, camera, curtain!” Madame V cued. We are currently practicing the scene in which Hayato was drinking coffee with the four maidens, Lucia, Nerissa, Nana, and Risa. Until that moment, after the lights out…

           “AHHHHHH!!!” the other members of the club screamed. A what is supposed to be a happy scene became a TRAGEDY.

           “Lucia!!! Nerissa!!! Nana!!!” Risa, Jun, and Hayato shouted. Everyone saw the three maidens lying on the floor, bubbling with blood. “They are already dead,” Risa said plainly.

CHAPTER 2

I am not the killer?

Three weeks before the play (Risa’s Point of View)

Everyone lives in a cruel world. But what I hate the most is when other people make a more painful world for you to suffer from.

“Where are you going my idiot, fuckin’ friend?” Lucia said to me in the comfort room. Nerissa and Nana were behind her barricading me from escaping.

“Well, I guess you were chosen to be part of the four maidens…May I just remind you that Hayato is ours! Don’t you dare to touch or talk with him, stupid!” Nerissa said. “Yea..Yeaa..Yess! I..aaa..greee!” Nana said hesitantly.

“Excuse me? What the heck is your problem?” I said aggressively. And as I said those words, I suddenly regret saying those things…

(slapped)

Lucia hardly slapped me. Nerissa shoved me that eventually caused me to injure my left arm. The two physically tormented me while seeing Nana, doing nothing. It was painful… very painful… to see your childhood friend doing nothing while I am being tormented by two demons.

After three weeks

           I can’t resist it anymore…to be bullied over and over again. I decided to kill the three of them…Lucia, Nerissa, and my childhood friend…Nana. And the best time to do that, is now…

           “Lights, camera, curtain!” Madame V said. We are doing the scene in which we are drinking coffees in a long table. Hayato and I are from the opposite ends while the three are in the middle…Perfect for my plan!

Earlier, I entered the set and props room. I secretly put 1 nanogram of Botulinum toxin in each cup of coffee which I got from the Toxicology Laboratory.

“AHHHHHH!!!” the other members of the club screamed. A what is supposed to be a happy scene became a TRAGEDY. Perfect for my plan!

The three demons are dead! Perhaps, God is on my side…Perhaps, I have a mission to exterminate those bullies who makes the world a cruel place to live in. Perhaps, this is my calling…to kill those who do not deserve to live!

After one week

           “Good afternoon everyone,” Madame V said plainly. “It is truly saddening that three of our members died. However, it doesn’t mean that we should not continue our endeavors to perform and tell stories to other people…”

           While Madame V is doing a dramatic speech, one member asked: “Madame V! I juu-uu-st…wa-aant…to aaask…What was the cause of death of Lucia, Nerissa, and Nana?”

           Madame V became silent for about 7 seconds and breathed deeply. “According to laboratory tests, they died…because of three different chemicals…”

           “What?!” I suddenly shouted. Everyone looked at me…their faces looked awful that they might be suspecting me as the killer. But it’s really suspicious… I only used one type of chemical…whaa..aat..ii..is.. happening?

           I am not the killer?

CHAPTER 3

The Suspects

           (Kuro’s Point of View)

            It has been a week since the killing of the three students happened. It has been the hardest mystery I have seen in my entire life. Many students are afraid to enter the school’s theater…many students started calling it as: The Cursed Theater.

Investigating secretly for the past seven days has been my task. I have five suspects in my list who has been suspicious…as if they are hiding something…I can’t be wrong…cause aside from science, there is one thing I believe in… Instincts.

           The first suspect is Hayato. I remembered that day, he was helping the set and props crew to set up the things needed for that scene. However, the motive is not clear for me.

The second suspect in my list is Sarina. As a responsible stage manager, she also helps in organizing the props needed for each scene. She is a perfectionist and strict stage manager. I heard recently that she had a fight with the three maidens…for not obeying her during the practice. But still, that is not enough to prove her as the killer.

           My third suspect is Madame V. Although she is a teacher, she seems suspicious. I remembered that time before we practice, she said that she will just get her tumbler from the faculty office which is just below our floor (fourth floor) room 403. But getting a tumbler for 15 minutes is kind of long especially that we are running out of time to practice.

           My fourth suspect is Jun. I know that he is one of my close friends. But something was fishy that time… I saw him running and going out so many times that time. But the motive?... it’s not clear for me.

           The last suspect is Risa. She is also my close friend. I know that she is brave like an Amazon in Greek mythology, who lived in Asia Minor. However, I’ve noticed that she was hiding something…when I accidentally saw her in the Costume Room in room 503, I’ve seen scars in her arms and back. Also, there are rumors that she was being bullied physically by Lucia’s group.      

I am a secret detective…I have seen a lot of cases in this world…and I am 101% sure that one of these people is…the killer.

CHAPTER 4

I was terrified

           After 12 years…

           Not solving the case for the past 12 years has been hunting me…day by day… night by night…as if the Death God is punishing me in my dreams for not identifying the real killer.

           12:30am, July 4… I opened my drawer and opened my notebook containing the facts I’ve gathered 12 years ago…I remembered that time when I made the worst judgement ever in my life…   

           12 years ago…

           I asked all the members of the Seikou High School Theater Club to gather for a special announcement…of who is the real killer.

           “I know that some of you are still bothered and scared of what might happen in our club. But… we can’t change the truth…that there is someone here who killed…”

           The students are whispering and looking on one another, guessing of who might be the killer. “I am 101% sure, that the suspect is with us…here in this Curse Theater...” I said blatantly.

           “Let me first tell you my five suspects…” The projector suddenly opened and five faces where projected. The whole theater was so shocked in silence… “As you can see, Hayato, Madame V, Sarina, Jun, and Risa are in my personal list of suspects…One of them is the real killer…”

           I explained all the facts to the members of the club. Many of them are suspecting Risa as the killer since Lucia’s group used to bully her…Until that moment, they gazed at me in awe as if I am a knight with shining samurai…they were shocked…

           “Potassium Chloride, Uranium, and Ricin…these three were the chemicals found in the cups of Lucia, Nerissa, and Nana respectively…But did you ever wonder, why Risa and Hayato did not die?” I asked. I am so excited to finally look like a detective and see these awful faces of my clubmates being surprised.

           “It is because…one of them is the real killer…and one of them attempted to kill the three…” The mood in the theater became so intense as if we are performing a tragedy play in front of many people.  

           “What?! My beloved Hayato attempted to kill? No way!” one girl said who looks like a die-hard admirer of Hayato. “It is absolutely Risa’s fault! She’s the real killer!” another girl said angrily.

           “Let me explain it to you…” I said calmly. “Risa attempted to kill them by stealing Botulinum toxin in the Toxicology Laboratory. She was seen in the hidden CCTV…that is why during the practice, she never attempted to sip at least a drop of coffee.” The students are starting to listen more carefully.  

           “Potassium Chloride…Uranium…Ricin…These are not just the chemicals found. There is another chemical found…specifically in Risa’s coffee…” I looked at Risa who was shocked. “Oxalic acid…about 10-15 grams of oxalic acid were identified in Risa’s cup…And don’t you notice something with the four chemicals?” I asked.

           Just when I was supposed to talk…Hayato stand and clapped his hands… “Good job my dear…You never failed to surprise me with your detective skills…With that, let me explain the rest…” He walked like a Miss Universe on the center going up on the stage.

           “Potassium Chloride…or KCl…Uranium…Ricin…and…Oxalic acid. Who wants to guess what these chemicals mean?” he asked like a devil. “Look at the first letters…K-U-R-O…Kuro!” I said. The theater’s mood had reached its highest intensity level.

           “Exactly my dear! K-U-R-O…Kuro! Yes…you heard it! I used the letters of my beloved Kuro’s name to kill these fuckin’ brats! And no one even noticed it?!! That’s horrible!” Hayato said, artistically executing his lines like a rich woman who owns five mansions. “It is so irritating to see them fighting for me…Also, I’ve seen how Lucia and her friends bullied Risa! Isn’t a good idea to end their life for them not to proliferate evilness in this ‘Cruel World’? Am I correct Risa?!” He asked.

           “But whh…yyy…did…youuu...aall…so…trieeed… to…kii…lll me?” Risa said while crying. “To end your suffering! Duhhh!” Hayato said. “Also, I’m so disgusted to see many girls going after me! My beloved Kuro might be jealous…that’s why I decided to kill those spoiled brats!” Hayato said.

           That day, the rumors about the Cursed Theater ended. Hayato was sentenced with death penalty for killing three people without remorse. Everything went back to normal…the club was performing regularly during school events like family day.

           After 12 years

           At 7:00 am on the 4th of July, Risa knocked on my door. Together with Jun, they invited me to go out for the High School Reunion which I never wanted to attend on. Perhaps, I do not want to remember again all the things I’ve experienced during high school…Especially that day by day…night by night…the Death God is saying something to me…something like… “It is not yet done…”

And as I expected, my two friends brought me to a theater…A theater that is different from ours in high school. We were watching a theatrical play entitled “The Prince and the Four Maiden.” I was so…so…so bored during the first half of the play that I was able to sleep so much. Until the ending of that second half of the play…I was terrified.

FINAL CHAPTER

Ruko

           When I woke up, it was already towards the end of the play. I have seen a familiar set up on stage… A prince on the right side of the long table…three maidens on the middle…and one on the opposite end. Just seeing that set up…something popped up in my mind…that…in the incident 12 years ago…I am now 102% sure…that Hayato is not the real killer.

I can’t be wrong…cause aside from science, there is one thing I believe in… Instincts.

           When the play ended, I was shocked that Risa and Jun were not on their seat at the back. I tried looking everywhere but they were nowhere to be found. I went out of the theater and look after them…even a shadow of Risa or Jun did not appear. I texted and messaged them via Facebook but no one replied…perhaps…they are in that place…in The Cursed Theater.

           6:44pm when I finally arrived at Seikou High School. I ran and used the stairs going to the fifth floor…the lights are blinking as if I am in a horror movie. I encountered four black cats on my way up to the fourth floor. The faculty was closed already…I went to the fifth floor to check if the theater was still open…and when I touched the knob...the door opened with a slight squeak…

           I turned on the lights…and…I…can’t believe…what I saw…Sarina, Madame V, the girl who used to be the ‘die hard admirer’ of Hayato, and Risa were sitting on the long table…unconscious…their mouth was covered with red handkerchiefs… and arms were tied to the chair they were sitting on. On the table, four cups were placed with labels starting from the right (Madame V) going to the opposite end of the table (Risa): Ricin, Uranium, KCl, and Oxalic Acid… I checked their pulse…They are already dead.

           “JUUUUUUUNNNNNNNN!!!” I screamed. I was screaming so hard when a man suddenly appeared…

           “Who’s Jun?!” he said with his head looking down, covered with a black hood, and holding a samurai weapon…

“I am not Jun…” He slowly looked up with a grin saying…”I am…Ruko

That time, my feet was frozen, my body was trembling, while Ruko is walking slowly towards me. It was the darkest event in my life…

           I was terrified.

-END-

October 02, 2020 09:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Rebecca Lee
03:53 Oct 05, 2020

Hey, good story. I think there were a few things here and there - maybe if you could just go back and reread it, and look for some punctuation issues, and a few places where you were wordy. But it was good! Keep writing.

Reply

Yuki Nagatoshi
22:15 Oct 05, 2020

Thank you very much! 🙏 🙏🙏

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
13:26 Oct 02, 2020

Hm, i honestly think that this was a really great story and that you did great with it. I also really loved the names that you had for the characters and really everything else. I hope that you'll continue to write more stories, though only when you aren't busy or anything. So ya know what i'm gonna go ahead and give this story? a 10/10 :)

Reply

Yuki Nagatoshi
21:52 Oct 02, 2020

Thank you very much! I'm also looking forward to read your stories! :)

Reply

B. W.
21:57 Oct 02, 2020

No prob ^^ well i DID make a story today. you could check out 'a savior?' and leave some feedback?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.