Made of Fear.

Submitted into Contest #42 in response to: Write a story that ends in the past.... view prompt

56 comments

General

Made of Fear


Are you ready? Good, let us begin. We are talking about you right now, not me, you. You are born to fear, that is what you are made of. Oh, you didn’t know that? You think of your life as perfect, but it is as fragile as a snow globe. Yes, your life is like a snow globe. A small, perfect, compact house, as you see it. The snow that is swirling and billowing around, your small, perfect, compact house, is fear. Your mother taught you the art of fear when you were born. She taught you to be scared of spiders, and humans. Scared of your kind. She saw this coming. Now that you are grown, you have no children, and no wife. No family.



Fine by you. You walk cautiously out of your house each day, like a child being naughty, and make sure nobody is around or watching. You look left and right, two times, just like crossing the road. Wait, but you are crossing a road. You are crossing a road of thoughts, teachings, spiders, fears, and especially humans. Every day, in your head. A road you must cross, but only it’s in your head! You can’t get hit! The cars are thought, feelings, and fears. You wrinkle your nose at that thought. Humans are gross, you think. They are terrible creatures, that roam this planet waiting to strike! Wait, but you are a human, well you don’t think yourself as one. Please don’t look at me like that! Don’t get mad, because it is the truth. You were born a human, and are a man. Your mother made you a fragile angel. Any second you could just shatter, and everything you used to know would be gone. Just like that. But that is what living, and being made of fear is like.



 Fear is fragile, but you toss it around like a ball. You wanted a job that doesn’t have to be around anything, or anyone that you fear. So, you are a mailman. You deliver the packages that humans send to one another. No humans, no spiders. Well except for the occasional daddy-long-legs. You sometimes consider yourself as a bat. Blind to humans, but can see them, and sense them like moths. You are nocturnal, so you only come out at night, when the streets are empty. Your mother taught you all the terrible things humans do, as she cocooned you in a blanket of thick fear.



 I remember the day when you first got next to a human, your sides brushing with theirs. The teaching came to you, and you strike. Quick like a serpent, you darted under their legs, screaming as you felt their cold skin. You rolled into a small ball to avoid the feet, and scurried away into the shadows like a scared dog, with your tail beneath your legs. You cannot forget the face of confusion, on the female.



Her forehead was creased with concern, and her cyan eyes blinked twice. Her thin vermilion lips squeezed tight together. She approached you slowly, and you let out a yelp, and avoid her gaze. You close your virescent eyes. Remember? Oh, of course, you do, it blanketed you with another blanket of fear. You should learn to take that fear off, you might get too hot. You sit in on your dilapidated sofa, and snuggle under your downy blanket. You are reading a book. The Sword in The Stone. One of your favorites. Sir Ector and Sir Grummore are your favorite characters and are sharing a drink at the pub. 



The only place you love, and will ever love humans, is in books. Your compact cottage is full of shelves, and shelves of books. You have read them hundreds of times, too scared to venture to the bookstore, and smell the grimy books. You love books, and rarely watch the television where your eyes can see the humans themselves, unlike in books, where the humans are your friends. You do although have a small box television, to the right corner of the room, where you watch the news on Sundays. You prefer the radio, but you have run out of batteries. You chuckle to yourself as you trace your fingers over the inky letters. T.H. White, you love his books. His versions bring the story and characters together. Your feet are chilled, as you curl your toes together, but you sit up straight when you hear low murmuring outside of your small cottage. 



“Oh Joseph! Did you hear about her!” A deep man’s voice rings out. 



You see a small man with tiny beetle-like ebony eyes is glaring at an extremely thin man with small spectacles on. His chestnut eyes were dark with worry. 



“Yes, London I did. Teaching her children that,” He said clicking his tongue.



 You freeze at the sight of them in front of your house. The thin man is wearing very démodé clothing, and you turn away in disgust, a fresh wave of fear drowning you. These men have the power to kill. The power to overtake you. 



“That’s why she is in jail. Did you see how she lashed out at her boss!?” The small man exclaimed.



“How long again?” Ask the thin man. 



“Two years…” 



“And counting,” Winks the thin man. They depart ways, and you mutter darkly to yourself. Mother was right, men do lie. She isn’t in jail, for she is in Scotland working on a photography project. You have been made of fear for much too long, young one. Please listen to me. Take it off, you are a man. Don’t give me that face! It looks like you just ate something nauseating! I see. You are made of fear, and you haven’t learned to change. 



YEARS EARLIER:


You peek around the corner anxiously, as your mother comes back into view, caring a plastic cup, with a brown parcel of paper over it. She brings the cup further into the damp, darkroom, and sets it down on the wooden table. She smiles at you, but you are too busy trying to peek into the cup to see. 



“Remember what I taught you?” She asks.



 You nod vigorously, as she gently tips the cup over. You scream in horror, as to your opinion, a prodigious, sable spider skitters out of the cup, it darts towards you, and your feet underneath you take off. You dodge the table, and run upstairs to your room, under the bed. You lay there shivering, as you hear your mother call, 



“Max!!! Time for a story.” The tension inside you reduces as you scamper downstairs. 



Your mother is sitting on the brand new, floral sofa. She is flipping through the tattered book, that she wrote, all the stories of men. You snuggle up next to her side, as she reads the terrors of factories, and how men pollute the skies, with splotchy spots of dismal coloring, and the talk of men put a look abhorrence on your face.



When your mother finishes the story, she tells you. “I’m proud of you Max. I have made you of fear, and you have learned. When fear is enveloped in a human, they follow the rules. That is why you are made of fear.

  


May 20, 2020 14:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

56 comments

Harken Void
18:52 May 21, 2020

Hey Avery, you asked, so here I am! (btw, cool name, 'Avery'. Has a nice ring to it) Firstly, I loved the concept you went with; fear being something that's not objective, but rather very subjective. I did not expect to see Max's mother program that fear into him, as such topics aren't often writen about (mothers are supposed to be saints, aren't they?). Don't get me wrong, I loved it. Something new and bold. Like Ray said, there are elements in the story that many of us can relate to, be it from a fear of spiders to that feeling of demoni...

Reply

19:20 May 21, 2020

Ok thanks soo much for the feedback! That's what makes me a better writer! Thank you! I like my name too. Yes I did go a little bit about mother's, but I enjoyed writing it! Thanks so much! Stay safe!-Avery.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ray Van Horn
16:37 May 21, 2020

Intriguing look at domination, fear, paranoia. I think there's something inside this story many of us reading can relate to, be it arachnophobia or mistrust of the world. A rough style of parenting has its effects and consequences. Bravely written, Avery.

Reply

16:46 May 21, 2020

Much thanks Ray! I will enjoy that you liked this story! It sort of relates to my fear of spiders :). Thanks for the feedback! Stay healthy!-Avery.

Reply

Ray Van Horn
17:00 May 21, 2020

Funny enough, my son had a fear-soaked fight against a spider this week. He too is afraid of them but he battled anyway, lol. You too, my friend.

Reply

17:06 May 21, 2020

Wow lol, you too my friend! Have a great day!

Reply

Ray Van Horn
22:26 May 21, 2020

Cheers!

Reply

23:59 May 21, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
03:23 Jul 31, 2020

I really like this story! It just scares me a little, but who doesn't like a good scare every once in a while? ;D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Vrishni Maharaj
22:52 May 26, 2020

Amazing!!

Reply

22:53 May 26, 2020

Thanks!! It was fun to write!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
A. Y. R
22:13 May 26, 2020

You've really perfected the second person perspective! This was such an intriguing story! The way you've written it - there's something so mesmerising about it!

Reply

22:48 May 26, 2020

Thanks so much! This was my favorite story to write, and I love writing from the second person!!! Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yoomi Ari
02:36 May 26, 2020

I love how direct you are with the reader which makes the business personal. As I recall, you wrote in your bio that you were at a young age... I cannot even write like this. As a writer you’re talent imprisons me. Well done:)

Reply

11:58 May 26, 2020

Wow, this is a very amazing compliment! It is my favorite story as well! I am so. glad you loved it!!! I wrote from my heart, and it turned out to be great! Reedsy has some awesome tools to help you with writer's block if you ever need it! Thank you soooo much! Stay safe. Avery. :)

Reply

Yoomi Ari
21:44 May 26, 2020

Thank you and you’re welcome! You definitely deserve it:) Bee

Reply

22:01 May 26, 2020

Aww thanks! I'm glad you think so!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
L. M.
23:53 May 25, 2020

Your use of similes and descriptions is excellent. Good job.

Reply

00:18 May 26, 2020

yah! I'm not very good at poetry but glad you think so!!

Reply

L. M.
02:43 May 26, 2020

Oh, I don't know. You show potential for poetry. :)

Reply

11:48 May 26, 2020

Aww thanks Lara, you have been very supportive!

Reply

L. M.
01:09 May 27, 2020

You're welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Anja Z
23:02 May 25, 2020

Perfect title.

Reply

23:06 May 25, 2020

Thanks!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anja Z
23:01 May 25, 2020

Great story love the use of language.

Reply

23:05 May 25, 2020

Thanks!! It was really enjoyable to write! I loved your stories, so therefore I followed you!!! :))

Reply

Anja Z
23:09 May 25, 2020

:) thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Anja Z
23:12 May 25, 2020

I only read two of your stories to be honest so far. I'll read the rest as soon as possible , your stories really keeps ones attention , I love them therefore I'll follow you to read more of your stories. Keep up the good work😀

Reply

23:14 May 25, 2020

Wow Anja!! This is an act of kindness that I cherish! Thank you for your support! I hope to post a new one tomorrow!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Blueberry Elf
17:23 May 25, 2020

Wow, very interesting story. It really captivated me and your use of language was beautiful. I love the unique tone that this story carried and I think you did a wonderful job creating it!

Reply

17:35 May 25, 2020

Thank you so much! It was a very interesting story to write, and I enjoyed it! I like your name!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hamadryad 77
15:43 May 24, 2020

Very interestingly written! Though I was confused by some of the switches between past/present and the different scenes. Also, who is the 'I' in the story?

Reply

15:44 May 24, 2020

"I" is the narrator saying "you." Sorry if I confused you. Thanks for reading!

Reply

Hamadryad 77
15:59 May 24, 2020

It's fine, I write confusingly all the time, trying to be better :) So the story is written from the point of view of an all-knowing narrator who is talking to main character, right? Thank you for the follow, by the way!

Reply

16:00 May 24, 2020

No problem! Yes, the all-knowing narrator. :P I loved your feedback thanks! The narrator is telling us about Max.

Reply

Hamadryad 77
16:26 May 24, 2020

You're welcome. I like a narrator with an opinion, as yours does, one who seems to care (or not care, depending on the acerbity of the story). They seem like characters but you're not quite sure...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
13:59 May 24, 2020

Hello everyone!!! This is by far my favorite story!!!! I hope you enjoy it too! Thanks again!-Avery

Reply

Show 0 replies
Daryl Gravesande
11:30 May 24, 2020

How's that story coming along? I'm waiting anxiously, I'm sure I'm gonna love it!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tim Law
07:27 May 24, 2020

Truly clever Avery... Love this story, clever and cold... Terrifyingly creative thank you for inviting me to your profile.

Reply

12:23 May 24, 2020

You are most welcome! Thank you for coming I'm glad you enjoyed it! Stay safe,-Avery.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
23:28 May 23, 2020

This story keeps you in suspense. Fear is a powerful and paralyzing emotion.

Reply

00:13 May 24, 2020

Thanks!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ciaran O'Neill
23:20 May 23, 2020

You used the second person narrative very effectively - and that is not an easy thing to do! As a reader, I felt itchy with paranoia, just like the character was made to feel in the story. One thing that I think would improve it, and add more tension, is if at the start you did not tell us that his mother was responsible. It would give the ending quite a shocking twist I think. I loved reading this piece. Good job!

Reply

00:12 May 24, 2020

Many thanks Anthony!!! I appreciate it! Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:48 May 23, 2020

Hi, Avery! I loved this story. It had a sense of mystery, and horror, to it. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time, especially since this was kind of a letter to "me". Keep writing and stay safe! -Brooke P.S. That ending had me SHOOK.

Reply

19:08 May 23, 2020

:)) I'm very glad you liked it!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daryl Gravesande
13:05 May 23, 2020

I know this is a stretch, but did you go to Strawberry Knoll?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Daryl Gravesande
13:04 May 23, 2020

Where? I'm in Gaithersburg. We probably won't meet, though. At least not until quarantine's over.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Daryl Gravesande
13:01 May 23, 2020

I don't know why, but I get this feeling that you probably live far.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.