22 comments

Sad

May 6th


"There are two doors in life, two ways you can go," My mother's voice echoed in my head. "There is the brave way, or there is the way of hiding from all your problems, being a coward."


My mother's favourite words.


So I sit here now, thinking about what she meant.

Or why she told me those words.

Or how she learned them.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


May 7th


I often think about the day of the fire.


And what I'd said to her that morning before school.


"Mom," I'd said. "You need to get me a phone!"

"Absolutely not, Aria!

"Why not?"

"You do not get to just demand things!"

"Come on, mom." I'd replied. "All my friends have phones! I can't be the only one without one!"

"You're eleven years old, Aria!" You do not need a phone!"

"You're so mean. Adrianna's mom got her a phone 2 years ago! Right when Adrianna asked."

"Well I'm not Adrianna's mom."

"I hate you!" I'd screamed at her. "You don't ever do anything nice for me! I wish you weren't my mom!"


Then I went to school.


That was the last time I got to see her before she died. And I had fought with her.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

May 8th


I miss my mother's cooking.

And her hugs.

And how she listened to everything I had to say.



I remember how spicy and delicious her food was.

And how warm and comfortable her hugs were.

And how long she'd sit there and thoughtfully listen to everything I had to say.


I miss my mother.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


May 9th


Sometimes I wish that I'd been with her that day when the fire happened.


Maybe I could have saved her.

Or warned her.

Or even died with her.


So I wouldn't feel so alone right now.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


May 10th


Whenever I miss her, I think about her last words.


"There are two doors in life, two ways you can go, there is the brave way, or there is the way of hiding from all your problems, being a coward."


I do not want my way to be a coward, but being brave seems too hard right now.


I think about what way I will go, which door I will choose.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


May 11th


Today I woke up and went to give my mom a hug, only to remember what happened.


Tears flowed down my cheeks in rivers as I cried into my father's chest.


I think about her every day.


I would give anything to see my mother again, even for a short time.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


May 12th


I think about my mother's words every day, but I think I finally understood the true meaning of them this evening.


I know which path I will choose now. The loss of my mother left a deep gash in my skin, but it will heal eventually. I must be brave, and stop hiding from the world.


Because I won't let my mother's death take everything away from me.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


June 12th


I am doing better now, I have chosen the way to be brave. I can now talk to people without bursting into tears. I can do stuff with my father and sister. I still think about my mother every day, and how amazing she was. But as my father keeps telling me, "Good things can't last forever" So I guess that my mother can't last forever either.


I understand death now too. In some people's opinions, death is someone's way of moving on, of going to a better place to be.


And one day I will see my mother in heaven. I just wish that time will go by sooner.






May 25, 2021 13:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

22 comments

Kate Ulrich
18:07 May 27, 2021

πŸ‘ I always like reading diary-formatted stories. I would suggest more of a story to this where we could learn more about the narrator and her mother, but this was a great entry and I like how the choice the narrator makes isn't between two physical doors, but how she will live her life. Great job!

Reply

Show 1 reply
17:00 May 27, 2021

This is beautiful! Love it so much! is it like a diary?

Reply

Show 1 reply
15:59 May 27, 2021

This is very tender, but there needs to be more of a plot. Is the narrator feeling guilty for something? Had she been mean to her mother before her death? Did SHE set the fire?? It would also be nice to show more than tell. Instead of saying "I miss my mom" the narrator could describe the mother's amazing cooking or how she'd listen. Describe instead of just flatly stating. Good luck in your writing!

Reply

Show 1 reply

holy cow! this is amazing! your descriptions, as Katie said below, are just soooo amazing! i think this could win! no critiques from me!

Reply

Show 1 reply

Please take the time to like and comment on this story, it means a lot. I hope you enjoy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
00:31 May 28, 2021

I love this! It's so original, amazing work, I know what it's like to lose someone close to you, I had four bunnies and a fox got all four of them in the same day in the middle of quarantine. Let's just say I cried for many days and it left a scar that won't ever fade, but you portrayed this so beautiful incredible work. <33

Reply

00:30 May 29, 2021

No problem :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hey Kate! I like this a lot. Your descriptions and diction is amazing! It made me really feel for the narrator. I especially liked the line, β€œBut as my father keeps telling me, "Good things can't last forever" So I guess that my mother can't last forever either.β€œ The way this line flows and the diction makes this whole line soooo perfect. A critique: -maybe you could add more to the plot of you made it a diary entry. That would give the story a little more to it and also give the reader a little timeline. A diary is also a very personal w...

Reply

Yeah! Anytime :) I hope it was helpful!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Writer Maniac
12:13 Jun 10, 2021

I'm so sorry for being so late in reading your story. I had a lot of stuff to do. Coming to your story, it was very sweet and the emotions shown through using the simplest of words. I would suggest, however, developing the plot further. It seems too predictable, and too cliche almost, for the narrator to feel guilty about their mother's death and slowly move on. There needs to be more of a story to this, more of specific events that set this apart from other stories about dying mothers, mine included. Keep that in mind while writing storie...

Reply

Thank you for your feedback! I'm glad you took the time to comment! :D

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:34 Jun 11, 2021

No problem :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

This is very good. Your structure and word choice flow very well. And good job getting the heartbreak, loss, and grief across!

Reply

Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.