2 comments

Fantasy Fiction

It was raining.

Kim Han only noticed because of the sound, the hundreds of droplets knocking on the windowpane, sliding away when no-one answered. Slowly sighing, he leaned against his chair, eyes closing as he heard the resounding creak echo through the walls. It was a slow day, the kind that dragged their feet along the ground as the clouds rumbled in the sky, stubbornly refusing to speed up. Gravity seemed to tug at his arms, heat bubbling up within him, melting his bones so that it dripped down, puddling within his feet. All in all, it was a horrible day. And terribly fitting, too. He should have known it would rain today. After all, it had rained That Day too, the day he lost his sister.

A painful tug pulled at his heart as he thought of his sister-accompanied by a small sense of guilt. Would she approve of what I’m doing? It was a damned question, one that he couldn’t get rid of, but nevertheless, he buried the doubts away. He was too close to stop now. Picking up a well-used mask beside the table, he stood up and strode towards the door, purpose in his every step. He could taste the blood on his tongue, feel the flesh tearing under his knife. He wore a fake smile as he heard footsteps echoing through the hall. Yes, he was way too close to stop now.

Surprisingly calm, he slipped out of the door, rehearsed smile tugging at his lips as he bowed to the figure that stopped in front of him.

“I hope you haven’t forgotten what we must prepare for tonight, Kim.”

“Of course not, sir. Everything is ready.”

Smiling at the man, James shifted his hands behind his back, hiding his fingers curling tightly into fists.

“Everything must be perfect. I’m trusting you with a lot, Kim.”

Han stood still as a statue as the pig-like man patted his shoulder, silk sleeves brushing against his servant clothes. One movement could ruin the whole plot. He didn’t dare say a word-in these castle walls, one servant’s life would weigh little more than a fly, and he couldn’t risk getting killed when he had someone to kill himself.  

He put on another smile. A different kind, one he reserved for information digging. “Sir, the Summer Day must be special for you, if you’re putting so much effort into it.” Inwardly, he scoffed. No one would be able to understand what Summer meant for him. No one would know what Summer Day actually meant. No one. Except for him.

“Well, you know the story, Kim.” The man sighed. “The commoners talk their talk about it being the longest day in the year and whatnot, but for us, it’s the day the emperor comes to visit.”

“I see. So, tell me. When will the emperor come?”

“Why do you want to know?” Han mentally cursed, his heartbeat increasing rapidly. He had thought the man would overlook the danger hidden within the question.

“I need to know when he’s coming so I can prepare…a…special event! Yes, it’s a event that requires delicate time keeping, and I need to know his entrance so I can perfect the event.”

“An event? Well…alright. He comes at 12 O’clock. Don’t tell anyone though!”

Han relaxed; a genuine smile stretched across his face. “Thank you, sir.”

He bowed, then, relieved, watched as the pig like man promptly walked away, muttering nonsense about plans and fantasies of becoming the emperors second in command. The man was just as he assumed him to be. Flighty, pompous, and ridiculously ambitious, with no talent to back it up. Still, his breath caught in his lungs and his heartbeat thundered whenever he thought of how he nearly slipped up. Biting his lips, Han leaned heavily against the stone wall, anxiety curling around his body, tightening his fists, and choking his throat. He couldn’t slip up, couldn’t…not when he was so close. The bittersweet taste of revenge was just on the tip of his tongue. The night he lost his sister still hung heavy on his shoulders, a tightening noose around his neck. If he lost his chance for revenge, well…he might as well hang himself. He had to compose himself.

The cool temperature of the stone walls bled into his skin, calming him down. Relying on the cold temperature, he leaned out a window, trying to breathe in some fresh air. Outside, the clouds covered the sky, wet cobalt ground reflecting the people and trees, colors blending within the puddles only to be broken apart by a stray foot. Nobility in all shapes and colors walked past, their long veils and soft sleeves carried by servants.

Han gripped the windowsill harder, his knuckles growing white. The fresh air was a blessing to his jumbled mind, but the scene was a stab in the heart.

Everywhere he looked, he could see Rei, barefoot and running along the courtyard, donning a rough servant dress, a smile barely holding back a full-blown giggle. Everywhere he looked, he could see dancing flames eating Rei up, licking at her dress and sliding down her legs, charring her porcelain skin, the air shimmering in the heat, Rei’s screams ringing through the space.

He could see the scene vividly, that hot summer night when Rei died. The emperor leering at Rei, sliding his pudgy hands along her skin, her running away, bleeding heels, torn dress hems, the emperor ordering Rei to be killed, blood,

blood,

too much blood.

Gritting his teeth, Han tore his eyes away from the scene, looking at his wristwatch. 11:00. 1 hour to go. 1 hour until the time came for him to either kill the emperor or die trying. 1 hour until he got to meet Rei again. Swiftly standing up, he continued his journey through the silent hallway, back straight and face composed. After all, everything had to be perfect for the emperor.

___________________________________________

The ballroom was an architect’s dream come true.

Delicately curved stone pillars arched up along the walls, seemingly holding up the sky as diamond chandeliers hung from the glass ceiling, complicated folds and laced ribbons brushing against each other as hundreds of people milled around the tables teeming with food and drinks. The entire hall was so viscerally alive, laughter sounding from every corner as noblewoman and noblemen flirted together, filling the space with mindless chatter, the scent of makeup clogging up the air. Behind it all, gold-laced windows reflected the glittering sea, the navy waves kissing the light grey sky at the horizon.

Han watched with morbid fascination as the nobility danced, feeling like an intruder. A commoner in the mist of blue-blooded nobility. He was behind one of the pillars, dark colour of his clothes effectively blending him in with the shadows of the hall. Invisible.

Like he should be.

Slowly, he slid his hands under his sleeve, grabbing the hilt of his knife. It was time. With a soft plink, his wristwatch fell to the ground. The polished floor reflected the watch’s time. 11:56. 4 minutes to go.

With short, brisk footsteps, he walked out of the bright room, speeding up his pace until he was running down the dark hallways, looking for the room the emperor stayed in. Hanging onto the words Rei told him once, a long time ago.

Han, did you know that the room the emperor stays in has a dragon carved into the door? I’ve developed a habit of tracing the dragon cause it reminds me of you. What? Rei… Don’t worry, I only touch the door during midday, cause that’s when the soldiers take a break. Rei. That’s dangerous. I know, I know. It’s just that… you work all day. I miss you.

Finally, his footsteps stopped in front of a thick oak door, a flying dragon delicately carved on the sides, each intricate carving placed to portray freedom. Freedom. Han barked out a laugh. It was the kind that tumbled out of your mouth unwillingly, brash and harsh. It was ironic, how a symbol of freedom was carved on the door where the man with the least freedom in the empire stayed.

Sweat dripped down his spine, hands tightening their grip on the hilt of his knife as his heartbeat pounded at his ribcage, each beat growing louder with every step he took. Every sound was muffled yet amplified, echoing in his head. The sound of the wind, chatter, people’s footsteps, creaks of chairs and unoiled doors, all increasing in a torturous crescendo, a mantra in his head, then…silence.

He grabbed the door handle. He could hear a man, calling out from inside the room. Sliding on a white mask, he counted to three.

One. He could hear Rei, hear her voice calling for him.

Two. He took a deep breath in. He was not going to ruin this plan and fail Rei once more.

Three. He glanced down at the dragon. It was such a beautiful carving. Pity that it was going to be slathered in the blood of the owner of this room.

The door opened.

___________________________________________

The room was flooded with the sunlight pouring from the windows.

A man stood amid the light, while another stood amid the shadowed corridor.

A man who ruled the light fell into the dark that day, while another stepped into the light for a sister. 

June 25, 2021 06:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Anneliya Lydia
19:51 Jul 01, 2021

Wow, you are a great writer! I love your writing voice throughout and the way you take readers back in time while also building tension for what is about to happen in the present. I’m also very intrigued by your characters; I wish I could know more about Han and Rei! Great writing!

Reply

Y. S
10:02 Jul 05, 2021

Wow! Thanks for the positive feedback!! I'm honored to get such a complementary comment from a fellow writer. (P.S I adore your works)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.