my life

Submitted into Contest #48 in response to: Write about someone who has a superpower.... view prompt

1 comment

Fantasy

Something very strange happened yesterday. It was like I had superpowers. I woke up this morning and thought it was all a dream. I realized it wasn’t...

I don’t remember too much of what happened yesterday, but I know I was riding a tsunami. Yes, a tsunami. I was flying on it and going around my city like crazy! Lots of people, sadly, did get injured but luckily no one passed away. I was the only one who did not get injured. My parents didn’t have a clue about how I didn’t get wounded. Not even a tiny cut was anywhere on my body.

My parents let me call my best friend over to “hang out” with me.

well......then i listened to her stories too...about that toto was a totally normal boy, and was paddling in the sea one day when a sea urchin stung him. At that precise moment, when he was rubbing his foot, he was simultaneously attacked by an octopus, a mosquito and a parrotfish, while being whipped by the tail of a platypus and having a seagull poop on his head...

From such an unlikely confluence of events there could only emerge a new superhero, with impressive superpowers:

Superpower Ultra Man!

Such were his powers that he immediately thought he should not waste them on little things, and Superpower Ultra Man began hunting danger and threats to the world, so he could save us from the worst of the worst.

But the more he searched with his super-sight, the more he traveled the world with his hyper-velocity, and listened to the skies with his multi-frequency digital hearing, he found no one trying to conquer the galaxy or attempting to blow up the planet. He couldn’t even find some villain planning to drain the seas or plunder a mountain. It seemed as though everyone, the good and the bad, was busy with much more mundane things, and they only had normal problems. So Superpower Ultra Man spent his days bored, exploring the skies in search of missions impossible that were deserving of a superhero of his caliber.

He got so very bored that when they offered him a television program to do, to demonstrate his abilities, he accepted, though he would only get the chance to rescue a few dozen people.

And when, finally, his moment of glory arrived, about which every superhero dreams, his demonstration turned into a complete disaster. Superpower Ultra Man was so used to thinking of things on a grand scale that he didn’t know how to grab and rescue a single person.

He did everything to the max, without controlling his strength or his speed, so the whole thing ended up as a painful mix of blows, bruises, scratches, shouts, broken bones, and torn clothing. Hurt and half-naked, the “saved” ended up calling the superhero everything under the sun, amid the loud laughter of the public and journalists..

It’s possible that no superhero had ever been so embarrassed. And ever since that day, any time someone refuses to do something because they consider it to be beneath themselves, everyone remembers the case of Superpower Ultra Man and says:

-“Don’t be such a Superpower Ultra Man; if you never learn how to do the little things, you’ll never know greatness.” And by “hang out”, I mean help me test if I had superpowers or not. After she came, we were searching for a secret place to do all the superpower testing. I then had an idea to go into a secret corner we had in our backyard. No one would see us from there.

We first made a checklist of the superpowers we needed to test. First, we tried underwater breathing. That was a massive flop. I then told Delia (my best friend) to test simple powers such as invisibility, elemental powers, and super speed. The powers didn’t work. I was upset, very upset. I really thought I would be the first-ever human to have actual superpowers! Delia did try to cheer me up, but nothing would at this point.


I then started to hear a weird twinkling noise coming from my pant’s (right) side pocket. I had a dream last night. One of my wishes got realized during my dream, which is to see everything in the world. By everything, I mean everything: things that you can see, and things that you won’t be able to see through eyes, such as girl’s bras, guys’ boxers. Ok, I am not that disgusting. I mean, I can see mentally, what is going on in other people’s heads. The dream is so real that when I woke up, I heard something in the room. I look at her, but she is still dozing in her bed. Not moving anywhere, not making any sound, presumably. So I guess the wish that I realized during the dream still works now! Putting her aggressive comments away, I put on my clothes swiftly and walked out of the room silently. I am going to explore the real world.

When I walk past the janitor, who always looks annoyed and disgusted by what he does, I am expecting to hear complaints. Look at these college students. They have such a great life, yet they complain every day. Beer cans everywhere. Condoms on the floor. Kids, don’t waste your life anymore.” I am surprised! Hmmm, this is getting interesting.

Suddenly I see my favorite professor. He is always so friendly, hard-working and helpful. I say hi to him, and he smiles back too.

While I think my ear is having some problems. It’s not receiving the right information.

Then I bump into him, the guy that I have a crush on. He’s like the perfect guy in the world: cute, musical, artsy, sporty, etc. but just a little jackass sometimes. I try to wave at him, but he doesn’t see me. Instead, he walks straight in front of me without even looking. His mind is messed up, as far as I can see. “

I start asking her about how the internships go, and she just says “yea they are fine. I only get one interview but that’s alright. Better than nothing.” Knowing that I haven’t gotten any yet. She turns back to her screen again. “Holy shit another interview email! Oh yay, pre-interview dinner! Five interviews so far and one call-back. Hahaha Lily I beat you, stupid girl. OK ticket to New York on Wednesday at 7. I need to bring my red dress. Haha.” I freak out. This is really getting bad. All of a sudden I cry out, “yo who are you? You’re not Haley are you?” She turns back, and her face begins to distort. Her eyes drop out from her face, the nose starts to enlarge, and mouth darkens down. Her entire body is falling into parts and pieces. Yikes. My legs are stuck in the floor and I cannot move at all.

“Noooo!” as my blanket falls onto the floor, I wake up. “Are you OK?” My roommate looks at me. “You’ve been shivering for a while. Everything fine? Do you need to go to the hospital?” Shoot, just a dream? . I hate this nightmare. I will never wish that I can know people. Never ever. I trust this world. Let me trust it. Just too much pressure I think. Just too much pressure. Delia could also hear the suspicious noise. I reached in and pulled out this magical golden powder which read, “Whoever has managed to receive this dust, Has tried hard enough to gain our trust. You were the one who was riding the tsunami, Now sprinkle this on yourself, from your friend, Ondo. Superpower...” Delia and I were very confused. We didn’t know whether to listen to this Ornado guy and sprinkle the dust on me. We did it anyway.

Nothing happened. I knew it wouldn’t work. Then all of a sudden, I started floating into the air. The sun rays shined on me and I started to control my flight. I came down and could run incredibly fast. I had super strength, super smarts, teleportation power, time-traveling ability and could even do different types of flips. I heard a voice in my head saying, “Touch Delia with your finger, she will share your powers with you”. I was very excited. If I touched Delia, she would share my powers with me! I touched her. She started floating into the air and did everything I did when I put the dust on. She ran up to me and gave me a big warm hug and said thank you; I hugged her back.

From then on we kept our secret from the outside world but still kept a normal life. I then wondered if the tornado was planned and who Ornado was.....

June 29, 2020 10:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

09:17 Jul 05, 2020

guyzzz.....give likes and comment on how was my story

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.