0 comments

Thriller

Can you keep a secret?

I mean, obviously, I can’t, but can you?

Are you trustworthy enough? Have you been vetted? What about getting your urine tested? This secret is not for amateurs. It cannot be handed over to just anyone. So, tell me, are you willing to keep a secret regardless of possible consequences?

Because I assure you – what I’m about to tell you cannot – absolutely cannot – leave your lips! It is crucial that we remain completely silent at all costs, especially if you do not want the bad man to find you. Because he will. Oh, he will! He will hunt you down like an animal, and he will want to kill you. That’s what he does. That’s what he always does.

And there is no stopping him.

Loose lips sink ships.

It does not matter if you only know a partial truth. If you know what I know, you would be in danger. So much danger. So much danger that you’ll wish you were never born. The pain is indescribable, unlike anything you have ever endured. They will rip your limbs apart, one by one, torturing you to tell them what you know. You will want to die.

So, can you keep a secret?

Can you honestly look me in the eye and swear to God that no matter what happens, you will absolutely remain silent? Silence is the only way of communication. Secrets cannot be spoken. Secrets should not be shared, but there is no one else. There is absolutely no one else, so I need to count on you to take this secret to your grave. It’s the only way. THE ONLY WAY we can ensure its longevity. You will know who knows, and who doesn’t know. You will know because those who don’t know won’t know, and those who won’t know shouldn’t know. They wouldn’t know. Don’t get them involved. They may be bad. They may be very bad.

But wait! How do I know you’re not bad?

How do I know you aren’t one of them? The bad men? The really bad men? Have you ever killed before? Have you ever thought of killing someone before? Don’t do that. Don’t EVER do that! Preserving life makes us different from them. As long as we remain different from them, everything should be okay. It has to be okay. It WILL be okay! It must be!

So, can you keep a secret?

It’s a beautiful secret. A wonderful secret. But a dangerous secret. One that brings death wherever it goes. And it goes far. So far. Farther than anything beyond imagination. It’s that powerful of a secret, and it must not be shared with any living soul. If they know, they will die. It’s like poison to the mind, slipping gently inside and spreading its disease. Why would such a wonderful secret wreak so much havoc?

Because there are so many who do not want you to have it. So many who covet it but want it for evil. Those who receive the secret are never evil, but those who want it, are. Coveting is bad. Don’t be bad. Don’t ever be bad. Don’t ever covet. Never covet.

So, can you keep a secret?

The secret is simple. The secret is sacred. The secret is something that should not be taken. Sharing the secret is death.

It’s like a pandemic plaguing the world with its sickness. It will hurt to breathe. It will hurt to stand, but no matter what, NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO, you ABSOLUTELY must not share the secret.

Don’t trust anyone. Don’t trust yourself. If you start to trust yourself, you’ll become weak. Don’t be weak. Don’t you dare become weak, because if you do, you will surely fail and die a miserable death.

So, tell me, can you keep a secret?

You must swear never to tell a single soul even when it burns your mind to escape. If knowing the secret doesn’t kill you, the silence of protecting it definitely will. Oh, it will. It will and it will be excruciating. Driving you to the brink of insanity. Believe me, I know. I know, and I will always know.

I will always know, and you will never know unless you absolutely swear you can keep the secret. Because if you don’t, if you break your promise, bad things will happen. Bad things will always happen. No matter what you do, you can’t hide. You can never hide. Don’t hide! Don’t hide like a coward! Hiding is for losers, and losers never win. Don’t be a loser. Never be a loser.

But then again… you already are…

You can’t tell between what’s real and what’s imaginary. You can’t determine the difference between right and wrong. You don’t even know your name. But I do, and I know you know what I want to know. I know you know what it will take to win the war, and if you don’t tell me, I will tear you apart limb by limb.

You can’t keep a secret.

You won’t keep the secret.

It’s too unbearable. Shameful. Awful.

Protecting the secret is eating you alive, and you are in too much pain to keep it hidden.

♫♪ Tick-tock! Tick-tock! It won’t be long—! ♪♫ NOW GIVE ME THE DAMN SECRET!

I will do whatever it takes to peel that secret from you, and I will get what I want. I always do, and I always will. Don’t worry, no one will remember your bravery. No one will even remember who you are. So, what is stopping you? Why do you even care? You tremble as you protect what will no longer be yours to bear. Let me lessen the burden.

It’s okay. It’s all right. Just tell me what I want to know, and I promise a quick, painless end.

…You want to know a secret?

I’m the bad man. The very bad man.

And we, my old friend, are just getting started. 

August 21, 2020 03:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.