45 comments

Fiction Friendship Inspirational

โ€œMrs. Hill, come out and play,โ€ Danny called out.

โ€œDan, you mustnโ€™t disturb poor Mrs. Hill with all your silly tantrums,โ€ I scolded my little brother.

โ€œAm not,โ€ He countered.

โ€œAre too.โ€ I sighed, being with Dan was just making me throw a fit like a child.

โ€œOh, hello there Dannyโ€ฆ and what a surprise to see you here too Taylor!โ€ Mrs. Hills welcomed us in to her rental home, making sure my pesky brother was comfortable as she would ramble about the olden daysโ€ฆ no cellphones, no computers, no technologyโ€ฆ I was feeling stultify with her small talks.

My parents worked late on Monday, so Dan and I would have to come over to Mrs. Hills house after school until they picked us up. Usually I would have art class after school so only Danny would be forced to spend his day at Mrs. Hills but ever since the art department didnโ€™t have much money they closed for good so I didnโ€™t have a chance to escape from straight hours of complete boredom. My head felt like it was going to explode any second now.

โ€œNow Taylor, how is school going?โ€ I felt like Mrs. Hills just didnโ€™t want me to lose my mind, trying to distract me from going insane.

โ€œOk, I guess.โ€

โ€œOhโ€ฆ nice,โ€ Nice? Thatโ€™s it? I moved closer to the fireplace, Mrs. Hills didnโ€™t bother closing the windows that led the cool air inside, I felt like I was in an iglooโ€ฆ only I had to deal with annoying people who wouldnโ€™t let me focus on my homework.

Mrs. Hills coughed, extracting me from my attention. Dan stared back at me from his comicsโ€ฆ he seemed worried. I gave him a reassuring look and focused back on my studies.

A second later Mrs. Hills coughed again, louder this time. She seemed out of breath. Dan and I hustled over to her instantly and helped her sit down on the couch while Dan fetched her some warm honey tea which she drank soundlessly.

โ€œAre you ok?โ€ Danโ€™s eyes were bulging as he placed his hand on Mrs. Hills shoulder, keeping his other clenched tightly in a ball that his knuckles turned white.

โ€œYes,โ€ Her voice sounded different from the last time Iโ€™d seen her. Now I noticed the changes, Iโ€™d been so overwhelmed that I didnโ€™t realize Mrs. Hills lookedโ€ฆ weak. Her bone was showing as her skin shagged, her eyes were droopy as her hands shook with every movement she undertook.

โ€œTaylor?โ€ Dan looked at me as if I were supposed to know everything about anything.

I shrugged, taking the emptied mug of tea, washing it in the sink, trying to be a responsible sister and neighbor.

โ€œDanny, Iโ€™m fine,โ€ I heard Mrs. Hills weakly admit.ย 

I didnโ€™t hear Danโ€™s response as I decided to be helpful, Mrs. Hills deserved some rest better than anyone else. She might be a talkative woman but she meant well. I knew her since I was about Danโ€™s age. Actually, all the neighborhood kids were aware of Mrs. Hill.ย 

She was likeโ€ฆ a nanny to everyone.

Dan treated her no less than he treats our grandma whoโ€™d died of cancer three years ago. Dan was too little to remember grandma but I had felt the pain when gran had closed her eyes for good.ย 

I gotta admit, Mrs. Hill had helped me during those tough times, I would cry and scream every day like a baby. I would demand that God better give my granny back or elseโ€ฆ well I didnโ€™t know. Mrs. Hill would cheer me up, telling me stories as she would feed me her homemade oatmeal cookies Iโ€™d adored loving for years.

Now Mrs. Hillโ€™s needs meโ€ฆ I had to step up my responsibilities, keep her cheery as she had when I was younger. Favor for favor. Nothing else.

I felt the adrenaline rush in my head as I walked into the living room again. Dan zoned off as he tried to wake her up. I dropped the laundry basket I was holding and stayed by my brothers side, we exchanged a glance. Dan was in the verge of tears as I pounded about possibilities of what happened.

โ€œKids,โ€ Her feeble voice rang in my head, we looked at her at once.

โ€œI need to tell you something.โ€

We listened carefully, hearing every word she uttered.

โ€œYou have cancer?โ€ Dan quietly murmured, only I was able to hear the strain in his voice.

โ€œYes dear,โ€ Mrs. Hill blankly replied, taking off the hat she wore, exposing her baldness.

โ€œWill you get better?โ€ Dan asked, his eyes wide with fear.

โ€œI donโ€™t know, fingers crossed,โ€ She joked, I was astonishedโ€ฆ why was she making jokes at a time like this. Neither me or Dan chuckled along with Mrs. Hill, keeping our cool I guess.

โ€œHave you gotten the treatments?โ€ My voice broke, for the first time Iโ€™d spoken after hearing the truth. My grandma had died of the same reason, this was serious matter.

โ€œSort of?โ€

โ€œWhat is โ€˜sort ofโ€™?โ€ I demanded.

โ€œTaylor, I donโ€™t have enough money to pay for my medical bills,โ€ She finally told me, after a moment of thought.

โ€œSoโ€ฆ youโ€™ll never get better?โ€ Dan faintly murmured. His eyes showed how much he cared for Mrs. Hill. She was after all a second grandma for himโ€ฆ and maybe me too.

Iโ€™d taken her for granted all these years, maybe now I could show her how much Iโ€™m grateful for her to be apart of my lifeโ€ฆ everyones life.

I checked my watch, 6:12โ€ฆ momโ€™ll come soon.ย 

โ€œWe should get going,โ€ I said, trying to distract Danโ€ฆ and myself from this emotional topic.

โ€œOh yes, please visit again.โ€

I nodded, taking my brotherโ€™s hand forcefully, taking our belongings and closing the door behind us. I didnโ€™t look at her eyes as she waved. I didnโ€™t want her to see me cry.ย 

โ€œWhatโ€™s that about?โ€ย 

โ€œWhat?โ€ We were home, Dan had his hands on his hips as he questioned me.

โ€œWhy didnโ€™t you say anything?โ€

โ€œThereโ€™s nothing to say,โ€ I ignored his cross face, heading for my room and closed the door behind me, avoiding any more questions.

Iโ€™ll have to face him soon anyway.

โ€œHey, honeyโ€ฆ how was your day?โ€ My mom asked, she was a mess. Her bronze hair was tied in a messy braid, she was answering calls from work and eating left over pasta with another. I sighed, momโ€™ll never change.

โ€œOk.โ€

โ€œDanny, how was yours?โ€ Mom asked, she barely noticed the tension in his eyes as he forced down his dinner through his throat.

โ€œInteresting,โ€ He finally found the word he was looking for, never meeting me eye-to-eye. He was mad, Iโ€™m sure of it.

Mom nodded, taking another call, leaving us to wrap up dinner aloneโ€ฆ as usual.

โ€œAre you mad?โ€

โ€œNo.โ€

I shrugged, doing my usual chores and left for the night. I could hear dad and Danny downstairs watching the sports channel, mom was yet in another call as I dozed off.ย 

โ€˜Wish I could do so something to help Mrs. Hillโ€™ I wondered. Maybe I will. If I get the right opportunity.

Dan was still giving me the cold shoulder the next morning. I didnโ€™t pay attention to him, leaning in on my own line of thinking.

I grabbed my backpack and headed off to school, not bothering to try knocking some sense into the boy.

โ€˜Hey, whatโ€™s that?โ€™ I whispered to myself, a paper had been paper to the mailbox, I quickly read the headlines with glee.

โ€˜COOKIE CONTEST FOR THE BIGGEST COOKIE!!!- Cash prizes includedโ€™

Cashโ€ฆ I got a brain wave. If I win this contest then I might get enough money to help poor Mrs. Hill with her treatments.

I read the information three times as I grinned, Dan will be pleased to assist me. I waited for Dan to walk towards me from the house, he took his time as I handed him the paper without a question. He scowled but read what had been written.

โ€œReally?โ€ Heโ€™d asked, his laughing eyes were bent over the paper as I smiled.

โ€œYup, weโ€™re going to enter.โ€

โ€œWe need 5 people,โ€ He spoke, his eyes went down with sadness.

I didnโ€™t know weโ€™d need a team.ย 

โ€œHey, how about Gio and Dulce?โ€ Gio and Dulce were my closest friends from school, I knew theyโ€™d love to join us.

โ€œSure, we need one last person.โ€

โ€œLiam?โ€ His eye brows went up as he grinned. I blushed in embarrassment, Liam was my crush; shouldnโ€™t have told my annoying brother about him. Heโ€™ll keep rubbing it in my face.

โ€œYes?โ€ I heard his melodic voice behind me, I jumpedโ€ฆ literally as I felt butterflies in my stomach. Oh, Dan hadnโ€™t been asking if Liam could join, he was wondering what Liam was doing in our street, in front of our house.

Dan must have read my expression as he did exactly what I didnโ€™t want.

โ€œWant to join a contest, Taylorโ€™s rooting for you to,โ€ I was SO mad at him, Liamโ€™s ears turned light pink as he stared at his shoes. I kept my glace down, unable to be embarrassed again.

โ€œSo?โ€

โ€œSure, why not,โ€ He shrugged, trying to hid a smileโ€ฆ of success?

โ€œYay, we have our team,โ€ Danny cheered, as he quickly shoved the paper at Liamโ€™s face.ย 

โ€œWow, biggest cookieโ€ฆ Iโ€™ve heard yourโ€ฆ sisters a good baker,โ€ He said the last part with a whisper but I heard it anyway and pretended I didnโ€™t have a clue of their discussion.

Dan nodded.

I rolled my eyes but smiled sheepishly, my face instantly flushed.

โ€œSure.โ€ The twins; Gio and Dulce agreed.

We high fived each other, we got our team at last.

โ€œWelcome constants, we have all your supplies ready for you, including your humongous oven,โ€ Our host instructed us.

โ€œYou may began.โ€

Danny, Gio and Dulce got started on making the dough, kneading it to perfection, Dulce had already made ten batches of dough, she was on a roll. Her brother not quite behind but Dan was the slowest, gotta admit my broโ€™s great but heโ€™s a terrible baker.

Liam and I were in charge of the frosting to go on top. I hurriedly grabbed a handful of pink food coloring, adding them to my twelfth batch of frosting, this was going to take foreverโ€ฆ based on my calculations we needed more than thirty batches of frosting.

โ€œHey, are you ok?โ€ Liam worriedly jumped to my side, I blushed as he took hold of my hand, but letting it go as soon as he held it.

โ€œIโ€™m fine.โ€ย 

He nodded, leaving my side, trying to finish his part fast.

โ€œGuys, I have an idea.โ€

โ€œWhat Danny?โ€ We all inquired.

โ€œWhy donโ€™t we write our cause in frosting,โ€ He suggested. We agreed on it. Our cause was to help Mrs. Hill but with a cash prize so big we could help others suffering as well.

โ€˜In behalf of the Cancer Society and Mrs. Hillโ€™ Weโ€™d written.

โ€œAll right, times up.โ€

I exhaled a relief, finally the tough part was overโ€ฆ now we wait to hear the results.

I looked over at the other constants work, a girl about my age had a prestigious as she showed her cookie. It was hugeโ€ฆ bigger that ours for sure. I gulped, did we even have a chance?

Liam must have seen my hesitation, he held me handโ€ฆ this time not letting go. I nodded, keeping my eyes locked with his as we crossed our fingers.

Gio and Dulce gave me a thumbs up and Dan smiled.

I grinned, it didnโ€™t matter if we won, weโ€™d worked together for something we all loved. I looked up at the open sky hoping grandma would be proud of my deeds.

โ€œThe winner isโ€ฆ Jenna Genny and her team.โ€

Jenna the girl with the biggest cookie was overjoyed as she quickly collected her prize. My face fell but I congratulated the winners.

โ€œOh,โ€ The host looked surprised as he spoke with the judges.

โ€œWe have another winner it appearsโ€ฆ In behalf of us Taylor Laurent and her team will be received 10,000 in their name and given to the Cancer Society.

I almost cried, hugging my brother tightly as we cheered.ย 

โ€œI told you weโ€™d win,โ€ Liam told me, winking.

โ€œIโ€™m sure weโ€™d all won something,โ€ I replied, his cheeks turned red.

Days later...

โ€œThank you so much, we are honored by your donation,โ€ The manager of the Cancer Society had messaged us.ย 

โ€œTaylor?โ€ I heard Mrs. Hills voice.

โ€œMrs. Hill...!โ€

She didnโ€™t wait for my response, hugging me tightly as tears rolled down her cheeks.

โ€œThank you,โ€ She mouthed.

โ€œNo need, your like my grandma too!โ€ I wiped a tear from my own eyes.

โ€œLooks like someone wants to talk with you,โ€ She whispered, smiling.

I looked behind me, Liam stood at the open doorwayโ€ฆ he had his hands behind him, hiding something.

โ€œHey,โ€ He said.

โ€œHi.โ€

โ€œUm, you have a minute?โ€

โ€œSure?โ€

We walked towards the porch, his ears still red, my cheeks were heating up.

โ€œWhats up?โ€

โ€œI have a question.โ€

โ€œTell me.โ€

โ€œ...Will you go to the danceโ€ฆโ€ย 

I didnโ€™t let him finish, falling into his open hands.

He placed his hands around me, I stared back into his midnight blue eyes.

โ€œIโ€™m assuming this is a โ€˜yesโ€™?โ€

โ€œOh, you silly boy,โ€ I playfully chided.

We held hands, Mrs. Hill smiled as I motioned her to join us.ย 

โ€œThank you for everything,โ€ I told Mrs. Hill.

โ€œNo needโ€ฆ your like my granddaughter.โ€

She stroked my head affectionately, I criedโ€ฆ happily, leaning on her. Dan came out as I kissed his forehead. Dulce and Gio waved from the background. I felt like grandma was looking at me, smiling.

โ€˜Iโ€™m gratefulโ€ฆ for everyone in my lifeโ€™ I thought to myself, I could feel granโ€™s presence.

โ€˜Iโ€™m grateful for such a thoughtful and compassionate granddaughterโ€™ Her voice spoke, then disappeared into the wind.

I beamed.

I was happyโ€ฆ finally. This contest had been a blessingโ€ฆ not only for me but for so many others.

I was glad to have saved lives, itโ€™s not everyday you get such an opportunity...

December 10, 2020 02:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

45 comments

Basmati Rice
07:41 May 15, 2021

Oh my gosh this was so sweet and heartwarming!! I really liked it!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
17:35 Dec 19, 2020

YOU'RE AT 800!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
13:17 Dec 20, 2020

Hi Varsha, I've posted my next story. Would you give it a read when you are free and give me your valuable feedback? :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
21:11 Dec 18, 2020

Hi Varsha! I just posted new stories could you check them out? :D (Also, are you posting this week?)

Reply

Hi Kate! Of course as soon as I can:) I plan to next week, this week I was a bit busy!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
22:46 Dec 18, 2020

Thanks! And ok, looking forward to your new posts!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
17:32 Dec 15, 2020

Hey, Varsha do you know why Vayd left reedsy? He was such a good writer.

Reply

Radhika Diksha
18:37 Dec 15, 2020

yeah, I miss him.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
14:48 Dec 11, 2020

Hello Varsha! The ending was so sweet! Loved your story!

Reply

18:37 Dec 15, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshaya โœจ
03:09 Dec 10, 2020

Hi Varsha! It was a very touching story. It was a great idea to make them enter the competition for a greater cause! I really enjoyed reading it :) Keep it up!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
02:17 Dec 10, 2020

Wow Varsha! This story was so beautifully written!! And the title matches it so perfectly!!!!!! Great job! :D

Reply

Kate Reynolds
02:35 Dec 10, 2020

Welcome!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
02:36 Dec 10, 2020

Yep I am! Though I feel like this one isn't really good because the prompt doesn't exactly fit my normal style. But I'll still post it!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshara P
23:00 Jun 08, 2021

Hii Varsha! The ending was really sweet! I loved your story! ๐Ÿ˜„

Reply

Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.