27 comments

Contemporary Funny Friendship

The end circles to the beginning, the stars winking in the blue velvet night, the cool grass tickling, the voices whispering, when you stop to listen.


I rub the sleep from eyes, annoyed that I must have nodded off again while trying to finish the last chapter of Rosamund’s autobiography. I stare at the words on the screen until the letters float like disembodied apparitions. I’ve lost count how many times I’ve backspaced that sentence into oblivion, and yet here it is again, haunting me. And even worse, I can't figure out why it's infiltrated my brain. Rosamund never said those words to me, I know because I've recorded every interview and phone call and listened to them so many times that I've memorised whole monologues.


Somehow, someway, I need to exorcise that sentence from my memory. I rip a yellow post-it note off a pad, and scribble the words onto it, before scrunching it into a ball and jump-shotting toward the waste bin. The ball skitters on the rim before dropping to the floor.


“Aaaghh!”


Max springs to his feet, retrieves the ball and drops it at my feet, tail wagging, doleful beagle eyes looking into mine.


“You’re right, Max. Time for a walk.”


I pluck the offending paper ball off the floor, stuffing it into my pocket, and clip the leash onto Max’s collar. We stroll along the tow path, accompanied by the smoky scent of burning leaves and children blowing bubbles. Sparks of sunlight ride the ripples on the river. I roll up my sleeves to absorb the fading autumn sunshine, the last chance for photosynthetic happiness.


My reverie is interrupted by the distinct ringtone I’ve assigned to my editor. I consider letting it go to voicemail, but I know he won’t stop calling until I answer.


“Hi Karim,” I say, as Max pulls me toward a grassy patch.


“Samantha, darling. How are you?”


“I—”


“You’ll never guess what happened last night. It was pure debauchery, darling!” Karim continues as Max sniffs at tree trunk before lifting a leg. “I was on the tube home, after some positively debilitating cocktails at Chez Lindsay. And there was the most gorgeous builder, standing near the doors. He was wearing jeans splattered with white paint, and you’ll never guess what he was carrying.”


“Uh, a toolbox?”


“Ha, yes, darling, as it turns out, he had rather impressive toolbox,” he laughs as Max squats on patch of grass and I forage in my pocket for a plastic baggie. “But he also had a six-foot spirit level.”


I brandish the plastic bag like a matador’s red cape, exaggerating my readiness to scoop the poop before anyone can cast a dirty look.


“Darling, that spirit level looked amazing resting against my headboard.”


Max’s poop is warm and squishy in my plastic-wrapped hand. We head to the waste bin.


“Anyway, Samantha, the reason I’m calling,” Karim says, “is to see if you’re finished with Rosamund’s autobiography. You know I hate to bring it up, but you’ve missed the deadline twice already, and there's talk of getting a replacement, to write the last chapter...”


“Ghost-writing an autobiography is difficult enough when the person is alive,” I say as Max licks the face of a toddler who’s lurched toward him. “It’s like watching an orchestra play without the sound, you’re interpreting the story from the movement but you’re not feeling the vibrations in your own body.”


“Mmm,” Karim responds. He’s heard this before.


“But when the subject dies before you’ve finished…”


“Darling, perhaps you can channel her spirit? She’s probably trying to communicate with you right now. Just imagine, the renowned spiritualist, Rosamund Engel, speaking to you beyond the grave, helping her ghost-writer complete the last chapter of her illustrious life!”


“Yeah, that would actually be disconcerting—Max, no!” I say as he strains at the leash, making a dash for the ducks sunning on the shore.


“It’s sweet of old Rosamund, leaving Max to you, don’t you think?”


“I guess. He reminds me of her. Bounding through life, uninhibited. Watching me with those soulful brown eyes.” Max sits at my feet, tilts his head, ears flapping in the breeze, and stares up at me.


“Darling, I’ve sent you a little something, for inspiration. Do at least give it a go.”


“Okay, Karim,” I sigh. At this point I’ll try anything.


**

When I get back home, a box pasted with fragile stickers sits in the shade of my front step. I set it on the kitchen counter and slice through the brown tape with a knife, opening the flaps and digging through a nest of bubble wrap to retrieve a green bottle. The label says La Fée Verte, the green fairy, and below that, absinthe.


I notice a small envelope and tear it open, unartfully.


Darling Samantha,

An ordinary spirit to help you channel an extraordinary one

x K


I rinse out a crystal goblet and pour in the absinthe, mixing with water, to form a cloudy green liquid.


“Here’s to ordinary spirits,” I say toasting in Max’s direction, before taking a tentative sip. The taste of bitter liquorice coats my tongue, and I drink the rest, in larger and larger sips.


Arrr, arrr arrooo, Max bays once, as I finish the last drop.


“Yes, time for your evening walk, Max.”


**


The streetlights flicker on when we glide past, Max leading the way. I’m content to be pulled along by his ambition. A dull but not unpleasant fog rolls through my mind and the rhythm of my footsteps enhances the entrancement.


Ahead is the cemetery, weakly lit by a waning gibbous moon. We wander through the grounds, the shadows of the trees dancing on the smooth tombstones and the crickets serenading from the shelter of the crypts.


Max pulls me up a small rise and stops at a grave.


Rosamund Clara Engel

February 19, 1939- July, 13 2020

Soulmother, Seer, Spirit Seeker and Believer

We are all made of stars


I remember one of the last conversations I had with Rosamund a few weeks before she passed. We were sitting in her garden, drinking whiskey, watching the moon rise.


"Sam," Rosamund said, her paper-thin hands lightly gripping mine. "We are all made of stardust. Nothing really dies, it just changes shape. That's how I communicate with those who have passed. I can feel their essential energy, no matter what shape it takes. And they are talking to us all the time," she laughed, before leaning closer, "if we only care to listen."


I brush a few leaves from the top of the headstone and sit on the grass, leaning against it. Max burrows his nose in my pocket. He drops the yellow post-it ball in my lap.


“Okay, Rosamund. I’m listening,” I say as I unfold it carefully, straightening it as best I can.


The end circles to the beginning, the stars winking in the blue velvet night, the cool grass tickling, the voices whispering, when you stop to listen.


.

April 12, 2021 12:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

27 comments

Michael Boquet
02:47 Apr 15, 2021

This is so creative. I love the concept. Great job tying the quote into the piece's symbolism. I'm really intrigued by the characters, especially Rosamund. Which is obviously impressive considering she's dead. Very enjoyable read.

Reply

H L McQuaid
07:56 Apr 15, 2021

Thanks, Michael! Glad Rosamund intrigued you. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Thom With An H
17:37 Apr 16, 2021

Heather, I could read you all day long. You weave description into your narratives so effortlessly. The dog poop part was fantastic and just added to the feel of the story. Is it as effortless as it seems? Do you edit and re-edit or does it just come out as naturally as it reads. Also the title was fantastic. I have said before that titles of short stories are part of the story and too often people waste them on nothing. Not so you. I loved it all from start to finish. Now comes my ask. I used the same prompt and wrote something ve...

Reply

H L McQuaid
18:11 Apr 16, 2021

Hi Thom! Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving such an encouraging comment. :) I struggle the most with coming up with the story idea. Once I have that, it's (fairly) easy to get into a flow, and I can do first draft in a few hours (of 1000 to 1200 words, so defo on the short side). I edit as I go (not sure if that's the right thing to do, but I can't help myself), so the first draft is usually coherent. Then of course, like everyone else, I'm too close to it to know where the holes are and what's unclear, which is when I post to Ree...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rachel Loughran
09:02 Apr 14, 2021

What a great take on this tricky prompt. This is clean and warm and beautifully written. Great work.

Reply

H L McQuaid
09:46 Apr 14, 2021

Thanks, Rachel! It was a tricky prompt, and I might have out-tricked myself. 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ash Jarvis
21:16 Apr 13, 2021

This was a great concept, and the writing was some of your most beautiful. On top of that you did a wonderful job of balancing that gorgeous prose with the characters of Karim and Max (I had to laugh at the poop bag flaunting, because I’ve had to do that to stop people from charging out of their house and berating me when my dog is mid-squat). One typo-I think the sentence “I can’t figure out why it’s infiltrated brain” is missing a word...? Fabulous job with the prompt—I’m working on the same one and I’m getting a migraine from pounding m...

Reply

H L McQuaid
08:14 Apr 14, 2021

Hi Ash, thanks so much for the comment. I felt a bit 'meh' about this story, then I added a few elements and felt a bit better about it, but still wasn't sure if i ought to keep it. So your comment makes me think it's not as 'meh' as I thought it was. Also thanks for catching the missing word. And I've seen all manner of poop bag flaunting the past year. Lots more people out for walks and lots more dogs, and lots more passive-aggressive people giving dirty looks to the dog walkers if they don't see a poop bag immediately. As for the promp...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristin Neubauer
17:27 Apr 13, 2021

This was such a fun story - the personalities of the characters (all of them - Sam, Karin, Rosamund and Max) came shining through and gave the story such life. It was a unique premise too - the ghost writer writing for a deceased person. And I loved the mystical element too of Rosamund communicating with Sam from beyond. Oh, and of course, the writing! I loved that line: “ The end circles to the beginning, the stars winking in the blue velvet night, the cool grass tickling, the voices whispering, when you stop to listen.”. Loved it!

Reply

H L McQuaid
08:05 Apr 14, 2021

Thanks, Kristin. :) I had the idea for a ghost writer being a ghost, but then thought it worked better as a ghost writer telling the story of a ghost. Glad you liked it, and thought the characters were vibrant.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Emma Louise
16:19 Apr 13, 2021

Ok, I love the double entendre in the title. Also, the way the end quite literally "circles to the beginning" in the format of your story. The dog is also excellent, I can totally recognize the 'Yeah, that would actually be disconcerting—Max, no!". The only suggestion I would have would be at the end, I had kinda forgotten about the post-it note in her pocket, so I thought she was unfolding, like, a letter she found on the tombstone, or something. So you might want to add a specification in that piece. :-)

Reply

H L McQuaid
16:22 Apr 13, 2021

Hi Emma, Thank you so much. I did wonder whether people would remember the post it note, so I'll figure a way to make that clearer.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Christina Marie
23:45 Apr 12, 2021

Wonderful! The section with the juxtaposition of picking up dog poop made me chuckle. One small teeny suggestion - I'd remove the "th" on May 13 - to make it consistent with the July 19 ☺️

Reply

H L McQuaid
08:47 Apr 13, 2021

Thank you, I've fixed that. Also thinking that I need to add a bit more context about Sam's relationship to Rosamund--I'll try to do that in the next few days, as the story is a bit flat emotionally. Thanks for reading and commenting!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
12:47 Apr 12, 2021

I loved this! Poor writer... we all understand the pains of writer's block. This is a very unique take on the prompt, and I really enjoyed reading this.

Reply

H L McQuaid
13:51 Apr 12, 2021

Thank you! If we only we all had a soulful beagle to lead us over writer's block. ;)

Reply

14:00 Apr 12, 2021

We all need a soulful beagle :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
16:22 Jul 19, 2021

Lovely descriptions. I love the plot, quite unusual, also the premise. Lovely story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
05:49 Apr 26, 2021

This was such a creative, inventive take on the prompt, Heather! I thoroughly enjoyed the personalities of each of the characters (even - no, ESPECIALLY - Max!) and I could totally see this expanded into a larger story; I would love to learn more about Rosamund! I loved reading this! :)

Reply

H L McQuaid
10:24 Apr 26, 2021

Thanks Mallory! Glad you liked it. Apparently I was too creative because the story was rejected (initially) because it didn't meet the prompt. I'm such a rebel. 😂 Who knows, perhaps Rosamund (or Max) will re-appear.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Claire Lindsey
01:33 Apr 16, 2021

I loved the circular nature of your take on the prompt. The premise of ghostwriting an autobiography of a spiritualist is so interesting. I was fascinated by all the characters, especially the publisher. In my brain, Karim has a very distinct voice, like a cross between Ru Paul and Meryl Streep. It was highly entertaining 😂 It’s a great piece, full of intrigue, and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Reply

H L McQuaid
07:44 Apr 16, 2021

Thanks so much, Claire. I love how you pictured Karim's voice. 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nina Chyll
13:48 Apr 14, 2021

I've noticed "spirit" typed as "spirt" twice in the story - even googled the word to make sure I wasn't being an idiot! Did you mean "spirit" both times? This is a strange question and I can't promise there isn't a hidden agenda, but was there any reason / inspiration to specify the "waning gibbous" moon phase? Well done on the British camp talk. I could just hear the dude in my head.

Reply

H L McQuaid
13:57 Apr 14, 2021

Ha! I was thinking about a camp British friend when I was writing Karim..glad that echoed true. And I meant to type spirit, ugh. As for the moon phase, waning gibbous. Waning has consonance with wandering and gibbous with grounds. Plus waning implies a decline (and an ending, but also the cycle to a new moon). Did you think it's unnecessary detail? Maybe, I do want to say waning, but it could be half moon, or crescent moon. I think saying waning moon (without referring to the phase) sounds weird. But then, I am weird so...

Reply

Nina Chyll
14:46 Apr 14, 2021

Ha, now my answer will seem so underwhelming: I was just asking because I’ve been obsessed with moon phases ever since I got gifted an Apple watch and my clock face shows the different names for them I had never known. I was wondering whether your inspiration came from the same source, just by chance. So, er, props to your methodical and very thoughtful approach! (No, seriously.) Edit: isn’t it funny how much hidden thought goes into writing that may never be unearthed by the reader ^^

Reply

H L McQuaid
15:06 Apr 14, 2021

that reminds me of a watch I had years ago, it didn't have moon phases per se, but it had iconography of a sun and moon. And I can't say I was conscious of all those thoughts when I was writing--'waning' was the only thing I remember wanting to say for certain. The rest was my unconscious desire for alliteration, which was only unearthed when you asked that question. So thanks for asking. :)

Reply

Nina Chyll
15:08 Apr 14, 2021

Well here we are! Let me rephrase one last time: funny how much hidden hidden thought went into this :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.