0 comments

Holiday Latinx Romance

The only good thing about the small town nestled away in the mountains was the annual New Year’s Eve festival. It was so good, in fact, people from all over came to visit the rinky dink little town. An otherwise tame town became a hub of activity the week prior to New Years. There were gorgeous festive lights that lined all along the streets of downtown. It was a dream to stroll down the sidewalks. It was also a dream for all the locally-owned businesses, this was when prices were jacked up to sap money from the tourists. Natives knew not to buy anything from these stores during this time. 

Every year, on New Year's Eve, all of the streets of downtown are closed off. Every year, stands are set up on the sides of the road for people to go and buy locally-made arts and crafts, the tastiest hot chocolate, and the sweetest pastries. The pastries were to die for. Every year the town’s two bakeries come and set up their stands on opposite ends of the festival venue. No one dared pick which one was better, for they both were heavenly. 

Emilio ran the Mexican panadería. He made authentic Mexican sweetbread. He made all of it, conchas, elote, orejas, and of course churros. His stand was always a hit, but only after getting past the initial fear of getting something you don’t even know how to pronounce the name of. The Latino community welcomed the panadería into the town with open arms, there weren’t many Latino-owned businesses in the small town. 

Leanne ran the other bakery in town. She made cookies better than your grandma’s, brownies sweeter than your grandma pinching your cheeks, and donuts… which are obviously better than anything grandma can make because Grandma doesn’t know how to make donuts. Grandmas hate her for this reason. Leanne’s a fan favorite each year. 

The two bakers regarded each other as rivals. They never really met each other before for this reason. But this year, Emilio finally decided to scope out his “rival” and visit her bakery. He wanted to put a face to his adversary. He also kept hearing about killer chocolate chip cookies that they sold, he wanted to see if that was true.

He walked into the bakery across the street and waited at the counter. Finally, a girl came from a kitchen door behind the pastry display.

“Hey, I’m Emilio and I own the bakery down the street,” Emilio said, holding his hand out to the fit-looking redhead woman behind the marble top counter.

“You look a lil’ young to be owning a bakery…,” Leanne said, eyeing the lean Hispanic young man with black shoulder-length voluminous wavy hair. 

“Um, I’m like 22. That’s totally a reasonable age to become an entrepreneur!” He said. “Besides, you look no older than me.” 

“Excuse you? I’m 23, so I’m your senior,” Leanne said matter-of-factly.

“Oh wow, you’re old then aren’t you? I wonder if wisdom comes with that extra year you got on me?” Emilio said.

“Why yes, it does. It’s the reason I can bake cookies better than anyone,” Leanne said leaning on the counter.

Emilio looked under and to the side of the counter where the pastries were on display. Emilio could feel his mouth start to water. 

“That so? For some reason I kind of doubt that,” Emilio said.

“Here, want to see how much wisdom that extra year gives me?” Leanne said as she swiftly pulled out a pair of plastic gloves and picked the biggest cookie. 

Each cookie was perfection, each one was neatly placed next to each other, and each one had the perfect ratio of chocolate chip to cookie. Leanne placed a paper bag on the counter and laid the cookie carefully on top of it. Emilio eyed it carefully. He picked it up. Immediately he could tell this cookie wasn’t too soft nor was it too crispy. He smelled it. It reminded him of a long lost friend’s grandma’s cookies from his youth. The only time he had freshly baked cookies made for him. Emilio took a bite and immediately the flavor exploded in his mouth. The sweet chocolate melted in his mouth. The cookie was still warm and that provided Emilio a comfort he hadn’t felt since his mom swaddled him in his warm Virgin Mary cobija when he was a baby. 

“Damn....” Emilio muttered in between scarfing down the cookie.

“Yeah... Right?” Leanne said with a big grin on her face.

Emilio wiped a tear from his cheek. 

“I told you my cookies were good,” Leanne said triumphantly.

Emilio looked at the clock behind the counter, it was almost time for himself to open up his panadería. 

“Shoot, I gotta go and open my store! It was nice meeting you Leanne! Come visit me soon, okay?” Emilio said frantically.

Just like that, Emilio was gone. The door chimed behind Emilio before Leanne could even say bye. Leanne just stood there behind her counter. She smiled.

Emilio couldn’t stop thinking about the cookie all day. He looked up Leanne’s bakery to see when it closed. It closed at 6 today, He closed his store at 5 today. Maybe he could make it over to Leanne’s for another cookie. 

Once it was 5, Emilio set off to close up shop as quickly as he could. He had to sweep the crumbs, count all the earnings for the day, and gather all the leftover bread in a single plastic container. He would go and donate the bread to the homeless shelter after visiting Leanne’s. It was 5:40 by the time he finished locking up shop. He sighed and quickly loaded his car with the bread and drove to Leanne's bakery. 

Leanne was having a stressful day. She had so many people come today. She was relieved that things were finally dying down and that it was almost closing time. Not one customer had entered in the last 5 minutes. She was about done for the day. Maybe she could lock up early today.... She looked down at herself and was covered in flour. Yeah, maybe today could be a cheat day. Who would come in now? It was freezing outside and completely dark now. She walked over to the door swinging her keys in her hand. She felt mischievous closing early. She chuckled.

Emilio saw Leanne at the door. She was now staring at him dumbfoundedly through the glass door. Emilio smiled and waved. Leanne opened the door and looked at him incredulously. 

“What are you doing here?” Leanne asked.

“Well... I was kinda hoping for another one of your cookies....” Emilio said shyly.

Leanne laughed. Who did this guy think he was? She thought to herself.

“Lucky for you, I have two left,” she said.

“Great! One for me and one for you,” Emilio said.

“I guess....” Leanne said, trying not to smile. “Here, come behind the counter, it’ll be easier.” 

She led Emilio behind the display. It was almost empty now except for the cookies and a couple of brownies. She grabbed the two cookies and handed Emilio one. She leaned on the table behind her. Emilio leaned on the table too. 

“Ma- tobay wab rough,” Leanne said, with cookie in her mouth.

“Yeah, I know hard work when I see it,” Emilio said looking at Leanne’s messy apron.

“It makes me wish I had more help. I only have one girl, but she only works in the mornings or early afternoons. I always close out by myself,” Leanne said with a sigh.

“I feel that. My family sometimes helps, but other than that I’m solo too,” Emilio said.

“How big is your family?” Leanne asked.

“I have a younger brother and sister both in elementary school and 2 older brothers,” Emilio said. 

“Wow, 5 kids. I couldn’t imagine that as an only child myself,” Leanne said.

“Dang, I couldn't be an only child. I like my siblings too much. Especially my little sister! She’s so spoiled by me,” Emilio laughed.

Leanne smiled. She looked down at her feet. She could imagine Emilio being a sucker to his little sister’s begging. She shuffled a bit. 

“Well, guess I should let you close down then, huh?” Emilio said.

Leanne nodded. She got up and grabbed the broom in the corner. Emilio got up from the counter to head to the door.

“Hey, actually, is there any way I could help?” Emilio asked.

Leanne was caught off guard by Emilio’s offer. 

“Er- yeah you can!” Leanne stuttered.

She handed him the broom. 

“You sweep. I hate sweeping,” she said.

Together they closed down shop in a methodical and elegant manner. Two bakers in their natural environment was a sight to watch. 

Leanne and Emilio walked out together. Emilio was holding the leftover Brownies in a paper bag. His payment. Leanne finished locking up the door. They turned and looked at each other. 

“Well, it was nice meeting you… again,” Emilio said.

Leanne’s face was heating up, even though it was freezing outside.

“Yeah, it was,” Leanne laughed. 

Emilio was scratching the back of his neck. His mouth became dry suddenly. 

“I’ll see you round kay’?” Leanne said.

“Yeah…,” Emilio said. “Hopefully you’ll visit my bakery soon. You owe me two visits.”

“Why two?” Leanne laughed.

“Cuz I visited you twice, it’s only fair,” Emilio said.

“Ugh, we’ll see,” Leanne said, picking at her palm.

“I’ll let you have one of our special ‘galletas’,” Emilio said smiling. 

“Oh yeah? What is that?” She tilted her head a bit quizzically.

“Just cookies....” 

They laughed together. They gave each other one final wave and both headed off on their own way. Leanne headed home to her apartment not too far away. Emilio headed off to the homeless shelter with his baked goods. Emilio’s mind wasn’t preoccupied with cookies anymore. Something else had replaced that thought, something sweeter.

Over the coming weeks the two bakers would find themselves visiting each other’s bakeries either in the morning or around closing time. They would let each other try their best pastries. 

“Hey this is actually really good,” Leanne said.

Emilio smiled. 

“What’s it called again?” Leanne asked.

“It’s called a ‘piedra’, or ‘rock’ in English,” Emilio said.

“Well, this ‘peedra’ is really good,” Leanne said.

Emilio smiled, shaking his head looking down.

“What did I say it wrong?” Leanne asked.

“Oh no, you said it perfectly. You’re pretty much bilingual.” 

“Shut up!” Leanne punched Emilio on the arm.

They both stood there looking at each other for a moment. Emilio quickly shifted his glance away to the street outside. 

“You excited for this year’s festival?” Emilio asked.

“Hmm not really…” 

“Wait, why’s that? It’s pretty great! Prices are jacked up everywhere, the hot chocolate is awesome, traffic’s horrible…,” Emilio said.

Leanne looked down at her twiddling thumbs. She was lost in thought. 

“It's just that... It hasn’t been the same since my parents passed away... they absolutely loved the festival,” she said pacing to the pastry display. 

Emilio didn’t know what to say. He just looked at her for a moment. 

“I’m sorry to hear that…,” Emilio said.

“It’s okay, I’m sure wherever they are, it’s like the festival everyday,” she said. She wiped a tear that was starting to form.

Emilio nodded. He put his hand reassuringly on her back. Leanne stared into his eyes for a moment before glancing at Emilio’s black work shoes. 

“You’ll be the best stand there you know that right?” Emilio said.

“I know… I am like the best baker ever,” Leanne said with a smirk starting to develop on her lips.

“Wow, so modest too,” Emilio rolled his eyes.

They both laughed heartily. 

“I should go,” Leanne said trailing off with her words.

“I’ll see you around,” Emilio said smiling.

Leanne nodded and left. The door closing shut sounded louder in the silence following a shared laugh together. 

Emilio stared at the door a little longer. Then he got back to work.

The day of the festival was finally upon the town. Emilio and Leanne set up their stands on their respective ends of the street. A busy day was in store for the both of them.

Emilio set up his stand and was sitting with his little sister behind the stand counter. They were both sipping on hot chocolate. His little sister loved visiting the panadería and helping out her older brother whenever she could. That’s why she was the only one willing to tough out a freezing afternoon.

“Hey Maria come here for a sec’,” Emilio said.

His little sister was starting to get so big. He couldn’t believe Maria was 10 now, he couldn’t imagine her getting any older. 

“Whaddya need Mio?” She responded coolly leaning on the stand counter. 

“I need you to do me a favor…” He whispered something in her ear. Maria nodded and ran off.

Leanne was beat. Her only helper called last night and told her she would be out of town for New Year’s. Leanne was craving one of the festival’s signature hot chocolates more than anything. 

Then, Leanne noticed a little girl with curly hair wearing a cute little Christmas sweater that said “Fleece Navidad” with a little sheep on it. She was holding a hot chocolate.

“Why hello there!” Leanne said with a smile.

“Hello miss, I would like to purchase two chocolate chip cookies.” the little girl said holding out two gloved fingers. She gave her a toothy smile. She was missing one of her front teeth. 

“Why certainly!” Leanne said. Leanne laid the paper bag containing the cookies on the counter.

“How much is it?” The little girl asked.

“On the house,” Leanne said.

“Why thank you, but I can’t leave without paying,” the little girl said smiling.

“No, no. I insist.” Leanne said. The little girl was absolutely precious in Leanne’s opinion. 

“Well, would you accept a hot chocolate?” The little girl said holding out the hot chocolate in her hand to Leanne.

“I mean, I think that’s fair!” Leanne said.

Leanne took the hot chocolate carefully from the little girl's gloved hands. 

“Give your regards to the gentleman down the street,” said the little girl as she smiled mischievously and ran off.

Leanne couldn’t think of what gentleman the little girl could be referring to... She looked at the hot chocolate. It had “to the best baker in the world” inscribed in marker on the side. Leanne smiled big. She took a sip of the warm drink. It tasted better than any hot chocolate she ever had before. Surprisingly though, it wasn’t the hot chocolate that was making her feel warm on the inside.

Emilio noticed his little sister running back with a bag in her hand. She was soon leaning on the counter out of breath.

“Well? Did ya do it?” He asked.

“Yup. Here are the cookies,” Maria said.

Emilio took the cookies and held his fist out to his little sister. They fist bumped and enjoyed their chocolate chip cookies together. 

Once it was dark, the stands all started to close up together. It was almost time for the annual New Year’s Eve concert. Emilio and Maria were cleaning up together. 

“You know, she was cute…,” Maria said slyly. 

“Right? Tell me about it,” Emilio said.

“Ooh someone has a crush!” Maria said, poking him in his sides.

“Maybe... Depends on how tonight goes,” Emilio said counting the money in the cash register.

“Are you gonna... Kiss her?” Maria turned around and hugged herself moving her hands up and down, mimicking a couple kissing.

“Ahhh, stop it!” Emilio was blushing.

“Try not to be a chicken for once okay?” Maria said.

Leanne was finishing up packing up the stand for the day. She was a little tired, but she was still excited for the concert. She was thinking of being in the crowd with Emilio standing right next to her. She felt warm again. 

When Leanne was finished she clapped her hands together. Good job Leanne, she thought to herself. 

“Hey Leanne!” a voice said behind her.

She turned around and saw Emilio holding his little sister's hand.

“Hey, is this the little sister you talk so much about?” Leanne said smiling.

“Yup that’s me, Maria,” Maria said smiling.

Emilio patted her head. 

“Yeah, she’s with me until her friend and her mom get here. They’re watching the concert together,” Emilio said.

Just then a little girl and her mom came by. A voice cried out for Maria.

“It’s my friend! Bye bye!” Maria said smiling sneakily before running off.

“So… wanna see the concert together?” Emilio asked.

“I would love to,” Leanne said. 

The pair sang along to all the songs. It was a popular local band performing but they were performing all the classic holiday favorites. The band was on a stage in front of the giant courthouse in the middle of the square. A giant pole holding a disco ball was next to them.

Leanne had her arm around Emilio’s waist. Emilio had his arm around her shoulders. They were swaying rhythmically. It was almost 12, the New Year. 

The band stopped and started counting down.  

“10, 9, 8…” everyone chanted.

Emilio and Leanne were staring into each other’s eyes intensely. They were holding each other tightly now. 

“7,6...”.

Everyone’s voices were starting to blur out. The voices soon became a distant roar.

“5,4...”.

Emilio didn’t feel nervous. He felt completely sure. 

“3,2...”. 

Leanne didn’t feel nervous. She felt completely sure that this is what she wants, more than anything. 

“....1!” Everyone cheered all around.

Emilio tasted true sweetness, a sweetness that overwhelmed his every sensation.

Leanne felt a warmth in her, it didn’t burn, it only consumed every part of her and filled her with comfort and excitement.

Love was a treat sweeter and warmer than any freshly baked pastry.

December 11, 2020 22:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.