Pixies At Large

Submitted into Contest #87 in response to: Write about a mischievous pixie or trickster god.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Adventure Funny

Flight 1107 lands very roughly at LAX giving all the passangers quite a jolt. It also jolted one of a rare set of twin pixies frm a deep sleep.

Dina jabs Dixie.

"What the hell was that?"

Dixie slowly awakens.

"Not sure but I know you are not supposed to use hat kind of language."

"Give me a break, Dixie. You've heard humans talk and even worse their song lyrics."

"So you trying to sound human?"

Dina ignores the question. "Whatever you got us riding in seems to have come to a stop."

"Me! You're the one who was tired. I just found us a place that looked comfortable. Guess we had better find out."

"I can smell...I can smell...Damn! I mean darn! I can't tell what it is I smell."

Carefully they make their way out of their borrowed sleeping quarters.

"Are we in the belly of a whale? Jonah!"

"Don't be silly. A whale would still be moving to some degree,"

The cargo door suddenly opens letting in bright sunlight.

"Wherever we are the fog has cleared. Let's get out of here."

They make a quick exit totally unnoticed. But then who would expect to see a pixie let alone two pixies in the middle of Los Angeles, California.

"Can't be too far from home. That sign says Dodgers. Didn't expect to run into Artful Dodger."

"But why would he have a sign telling everyone where he is?"

"Good poing. Hey! Look thataway. That wheel looks familar. We must be close to Blackpool. So why do I not Smell any water?"

They head for the wheel.

"That's entirely too much traffic below us to be Blackpool."

Moments later they arrive only to realize it indeed is not Blackpool.

"What does that sign say?"

"Santa Monica Pier it appears."

They zoom down to get a look at a license plate.

"California? Well, Dina. I don't think we're in England anymore."

"You sure? Some of these blokes...the hair colors, tattoos, piercings...wow....looks like England to me. And a lot of them are hardly wearing anything. This could be better than England."

"Always got your head in the gutter."

"Why do you always have to be a goody two wings."

"Without me, Dina, the pixie king would have had you buried in pixie dust long ago."

"What you say we have some fun before we worry about how we are going to get home."

"No. I think we should be on the lookout for someone who believes in us who may be able to help us."

"And have some fun as we look. Maybe if we split up we can find someone to help faster."

"Okay. We maybe can cover more area that way. Let's meet back here at the wheel when the sun is straight up."

"All right, bloody well right."

Dixie did not like Dina's reaction. There was no telling how much trouble she could cause.

Dina flies off and as soon as she thinks she is out of Dixie's sight she drops down, landing on the shoulder of a bloke in a convertable.

"Turn left," Dina whispers into the bloke's ear.

When the bloke does not seem to pay her any attention, Dina yells.

"Turn left! Now!"

Quickly the driver makes a left turn directly into the path of three lanes of oncoming traffic. Tires squeel, horns blare but a crash cannot be avoided. The crashed vehicles totally block the busy motorway.

Dina grins. 'It's gonna be a fun day' she thinks to herself as she leaves for another area.

Dixie finds herself under the pier where she finds a group of young boys passing around a cigarette and laughing. When she sees one of the boys with a slight hesitation about taking a drag, Dixie lands on his shoulder.

"Smoking is not good for you," she whispers.

The boy looks around then passes the cigarette on without taking a drag.

"Thought you wanted to be like the big boys," an older boy ribs.

Dixie whispers again. "If he jumps off the pier, will you?"

The boy looks around again.

"Who is there?"

The other boys look at him funny.

"Now he's talking to himself. I knew we should not have brought him along."

Again Dixie whispers, "don't worry about them. I need your help."

The boy leaves the others and when he is sure he is out of their range looks around again.

"Who are you?"

"My name is Dixie and I am a pixie. My sister and I ended up here by mistake and need help to get back home."

"Where is home?"

"Cornwall, England. And who am I speaking with?"

"I'm Joey Bowers."

Meanwhile Dina has made her way to Dodger Stadium and immediately realizes it has nothing to do with Artful Dodger.

Fans are already arriving for a noon first pitch.

Dina flies around looking for the right target. She finds one in no time at all.

Buzzing at the blokes ear, she speaks. "If you streak across the field you will be famous."

The bloke finishes his beer, removes his clothes, hops over the third base rail and dashes across the field only to be quickly taken into custody.

"I meant during the game, dummy. Hardly anybody her to see you and I don't think they will let you back to your seat."

Joey Bowers takes Dixie to his house.

"How did you get here anyway?"

"Fell asleep in the wrong place at the wrong time. If you can help, my sister and I are meeting at the big wheel when the sun is straight up."

Dina has left Dodger Stadium and found her way to Venice Beach.

Spotting a group of scantilly clad ladieson roller blades, she picks one, flies beside her and whispers, "did you hear what that lady on your left called you?"

The lady looks to her left.

"Well! You gonna let her get away with that?"

Again the lady looks left.

Suddenly she lowers her shoulder and barrels into the lady on her left. She knocks her off of her blades and onto the sandy beach.

"That'll teach you to talk junk about me."

The second lady just lays there on the sand in shock.

Dina cannot believe she is doing nothing. So she springs back into action whispering in another ear, "you can't let her get away with that."

The shocked lady gets back up onto her blades and heads straight for the lady who knocked her off her feet.

"What's with you, bitch?" and returns the favor, knocking the first lady onto the sandy beach. Soon the two are covered with sand as they punch, pull hair and curse at each other.

Dina flies off wearing a satisfied grin and seeing the sun almost straight overhead, she heads for the wheel.

Dixie and Joey head back toward the wheel and sit on one of the available benches.

"I see you had better luck than I did<" Dina says after seeing Joey and Dixie sitting close to the wheel.

"Did you even really look?"

Joey cannot believe these two pixies seem to be fighting just like he and his brother.

"Come on now. You guys want to get home or stay here and fight."

"I think I could really have some fun here."

"Dina, if you stayed here there would be so much unexplainable trouble that the pixie king would know right where to find you. You would be in such deep doo doo that the whole pixie kingdom would be laughing at you."

"Thanks, sis. How about something a little more encouraging."

"Back to getting home. Joey came up with a clever way of getting us home. Since April first is a few days away I think it is a brilliant idea."

"I'll bite. What's his idea?"

"He's gonna mail us to the Council of Cornwall. Of course they will not be able to see us so Joey is going to put a note in the box with us."

"Gotta have holes so we can breathe."

"Of course. You ready?"

"Can't we stay just one more day and have some real fun?"

"No! We gotta be home by April first."

"All right. Lead the way."

Joey wraps them in a shoe box. He writes FRAGILE and HANDLE WITH CARE on the wrapping paper hoping that would keep the post office from just throwing it around.

At the post office Joey explains that it has to be delivered on April first.

The clerk tells him the cost. Joey pulls out his purple Crown Royal bag of change and counts out the right amount. Then he leans to the box and whispers, "see you inCornwall, if I ever get there."

The clerk gives him a strange look and hands him his receipt and circles the tracking number.

On April first a package is delivered to the Cornwall Council. It is so light that the Deputy Leader cannot imagine what it could be and does not wait for the full Council.

Quickly he opens the box. At first chance Dixie and Dina escape and head straight for home.

The Deputy Leader scratches his head as he looks closly into the box. There he finds Joey's note. It reads 'APRIL FOOLS'!

March 29, 2021 23:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.