30 comments

Contemporary Science Fiction Friendship

Michael decided it was the right time to visit Mr. Richards.

“Mr. Richards?”

He knocked on the screen door and waited. This was not a bad sign. Michael had known Mr. Richards since he was a young boy and they first moved next door to the very old home that reminded him of something from a monster movie. As they were unpacking, he noticed the man sitting on his front porch, happily rocking away in his chair with a drink in his hand and sunglasses on to block out the light of that very bright afternoon. He had waved at the family and they all smiled and waved back. Michael wondered about his life from that moment on and would find out what he could.

Over the years, Michael did have a portrait of their neighbour that was sad and curious. He was a widower who had worked as a salesman for many years for various companies. Apparently, he was very good at it and could work freelance (no real information on income earned, but he did have a big house, so…). He had also been a veteran during the Vietnam War (Michael read as many books about it as he could, watching both “Platoon” and “Full Metal Jacket” when his parents were not around). And he was a widower (a new word; a word that he only learned because that was the first thing Mr. Richards told him about himself: “Nice to meet you, young man. Welcome to my widower’s life!”). His mother had sent him over for the introductions with a little food a few days after the move. The home smelled of cigarettes and dust, but it was pretty clean for a man who lived on his own (Michael never saw a maid). And he loved to hear Mr. Richards’ stories about the war work and life before Michael was even a thought to his parents. Soon, stopping over after school, part-time jobs, hockey games and dates became a very common thing. It was not unusual, especially on a cold day like this, to knock on the door and to have no response to his rapping on the screen and glass.

“Mr. Richards? It’s Michael. My mom just wanted you to have these.” He was holding a plate of cellophane-covered cookies in one hand as he looked through the window. “She made chocolate-oatmeal…again.” They did smell fantastic, but they stuck to his throat and he did not want to chance taking one without a glass of milk.

“Mr. Richards?”

He tried the door and it glided open. Not a single squeak after he fixed it for him last year.

The same stale smell of cigarettes and dust, but there was something else now.

For the first time, he was actually scared.

There had been no signs that Mr. Richards was in bad health, despite the cigarettes and the occasional drink shared when Michael grew up and became of age. He reminded his neighbour of the importance of his health, only to be told, “Everything will kill you, young man. You’ve gotta enjoy the ride.” And another beer was finished, chased by nicotine from a pack of Benson & Hedges. He would not accept that he would go that way.

He walked down the familiar hallway, again noting how clean and orderly the shoes and coats were on the stand and carpet (all those years of military training must have stuck with him, he thought). The kitchen was also quiet except for the hum of the fridge. No dishes were in the sink and the counter was as dry as Michael’s throat.

“Mr. Richards?”

He did not mean to shout, but after looking through the first floor and the upstairs bedrooms – he always wondered why he lived with two of them when there were no children – he knew that he would have to look in the basement.

The door was slightly ajar.

The strange thing now is it was not the first time he had stepped down there. One day, Mr. Richards asked him if he could put a few bags of potatoes down there after the local grocery store delivered his food for the week. The bare bulbs in the unfinished basement were cobwebby and dusty (the only part of the house he did not clean). The larder with the food was separated from the rest of the space by a pad-locked door that had been left open and it was easy to leave the russet potatoes in a basket after he cut the bag open and emptied the contents. It was when he was heading back that he noticed it.

There were clear plastic boxes filled with files.

And on one of them, it said, INVASION.

He could hear the steps of Mr. Richards in the kitchen directly overhead – another beer or sandwich, maybe – and he knew that he had a moment.

He lifted one lid, read one very clean and up-to-date folder (no dust on the boxes), and almost slammed it shut.

Michael could not believe what he read.

And he knew that he would not be able to resist if he went back down today.

It was colder now as he opened the door.

“Damn…”

It was a long step down into the dim light bulb glow. The cobwebs had been cleared and the files had been reopened. And something else was added: a foldable camping bed where Mr. Richards’ body lay. Michael noted the look of peace on his face as he studied the features of a man he thought he knew well.

He looked carefully at his old friend.

“Damn…and damn…”

Mr. Richards knew the whole truth.

The papers on the bed were also marked INVASION, but this was not the only word or phrase on the documents: ALIEN INVASION; NEIGHBORS ACTING HUMAN; POSSIBLE TAKEOVER OF SOCIETY.

Again, it was all neat and tidy and it only took one retinal scan for Michael psychic feed to share the information with his parental entities.

These humans were so impressive when they tried, he thought. You had to give them that.

And that was when he noticed that he was still carrying the tray of cookies.

It was more drug work for their study of the species. Maybe Mr. Richards noticed that he often nodded off and needed an extended nap when he ate the food? Maybe he had some experience with spy work during the war? It was never mentioned during their talks... But what if he had?

Perhaps…

He was wearing his full uniform and the gun had only used one round.

Michael placed the plate on the floor and realized that it would be easier to just float up the stairs now that he did not need to use his human form anymore.

“Respect, Mr. Richards. Our deepest respect…”

He made sure that the door was locked and the clean up could wait for the next wave of visitors from his constellation of vapors.

And he knew that it was going to be a beautiful day.


July 27, 2024 01:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

30 comments

05:24 Aug 01, 2024

Great story, the twist slowly & nicely installed unexpectedly!!

Reply

Kendall Defoe
12:43 Aug 01, 2024

Thank you for the comments!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
04:06 Aug 03, 2024

It’s amazing how you flip all of the expectations around in a single paragraph. We think this is a sweet relationship between an old man and a kid like in Up. Then there’s a suggestion that maybe the old man is paranoid about something. I thought it was going to be about communism given he was a Vietnam veteran but then it’s aliens and I thought it was about dementia because my grandfather accused lots of people of being spies towards the end of his life. Then the MC is an alien and you realise he never mentioned anything about himself. Lots...

Reply

Kendall Defoe
18:57 Aug 03, 2024

I'm glad readers liked where I took this one. Maybe someday there will be a shortlist or prize for my weirdness? 🤔

Reply

Graham Kinross
00:38 Aug 04, 2024

Hopefully. Reedsy is weighted against science fiction and fantasy but if you keep going it’ll happen.

Reply

Kendall Defoe
05:41 Aug 04, 2024

I thank you for this...

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:13 Aug 04, 2024

You’re welcome. Keep going. Are you on Discord? Someone set up channels that list competitions specific to other genres or other sites. https://discord.gg/D3BcR3CY

Reply

Kendall Defoe
16:55 Aug 05, 2024

I think my Discord account is still up... ;)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Cheryl Pope
02:34 Aug 01, 2024

This is not what I would usually read but your writing is good a d flows well. I certainly didn't think this would be a story about aliens. I figured it would turn out that the old guy was a long lost relative or a spy. One thing I wondered was if the old man thought the neighbors were aliens why would he send the kid down to the basement where he could easily see something that would reveal the old mans suspicions?

Reply

Kendall Defoe
13:41 Aug 06, 2024

He was a trusting soul...who has the occasional drink. Maybe it just slipped his mind that the kid would see the boxes...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
03:41 Jul 30, 2024

It took an unexpected turn. I was shocked to find out you wrote an alien story. I wondered how the sci-fi twist would come into it. 'Invasion'. Our MC learned Mr Richards suspected others around him were not human. The finding out something new held true for both of them. As for twists, it does pay to give a few hints here and there. But it wasn't his first time in the basement. I did wonder about the title, 'Invasion,' but didn't work it out until you elaborated on this later. I think the fact that Michael was the alien made the biggest s...

Reply

Kendall Defoe
23:51 Jul 30, 2024

I did not want to give too many hints. If you read it, you can see that things are a little bit off. And I am beginning to really appreciate what sci-fi writers can do. I have a few stories with Gork and Slarb as the main characters and I may continue with them! Thank you. ;)

Reply

00:11 Jul 31, 2024

I love Gork and Slarb! But it depends on the prompts. Sometimes, I surprise myself with the stories that come out. I ask myself, 'did I really want to write about that?' 'did I want to write about him/her again?' And sometimes, the story I write precedes some of the others chronologically. How confusing is that.

Reply

Kendall Defoe
11:26 Jul 31, 2024

The way we approach storytelling is never really a straight line. I have written too many pieces that went off on tangents I would not have imagined when I began them.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
00:05 Jul 30, 2024

I didn't see that coming. LOL. A wonderful slice of middle America that goes 🤯

Reply

Kendall Defoe
23:52 Jul 30, 2024

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Pei Pei Lin
00:04 Jul 30, 2024

I like the twist a lot!

Reply

Kendall Defoe
23:52 Jul 30, 2024

I am glad that people liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Neha Magesh
20:42 Jul 29, 2024

I thought this was great!! Was not expecting it to take that turn but still really enjoyed it.

Reply

Kendall Defoe
21:43 Jul 29, 2024

Thank you! I tried to come up with a way of approaching this that did not follow convention!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
21:20 Jul 27, 2024

I agree with some of the comments of Malcolm's but it was genius that Michael was the alien. Not understanding why Mr. Richards would shoot himself. Thought it was natural causes since it had been a number of years already.

Reply

Kendall Defoe
12:57 Jul 28, 2024

I was going to make it natural causes, but I wanted to give the impression that he had given up because he knew how far gone things were with the invaders. But your points are fair and I need to reconsider the way I wrote this!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
16:31 Jul 28, 2024

Good way it is. Just giving my thoughts as I read it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Malcolm Twigg
07:34 Jul 27, 2024

Hi Kendall. Thanks for the folIow. As to this, it was certainly a tale of two halves. An ordinary domestic story of growing up in middle America (I presume - but what does a Brit know?) Which takes a sudden and sinister turn. Too sudden a turn if I'm brutally honest. It takes the reader by surprise, certainly, but at the same time it sort of brings the credibility of the rest of this excellently imagined story into question. Would it not have been better to have the old man as the alien I wonder - it would put a slightly different slant on ...

Reply

Kendall Defoe
10:45 Jul 27, 2024

I was thinking about the old man as an alien, but I thought the bigger surprise would be him realizing he was surrounded by life from another planet. And the basement idea was to build dread. If he knew what the basement was like, he would know what to expect if the old man was down there with his files. Thank you for all the comments. These are what I need as a writer.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.