0 comments

Fiction Thriller Suspense

My hands were vibrating, every inch of my skin tingled as I walked past the podium. I could feel eyes staring into the back of my head. I knew she was trying to burn holes through my skull. Her glare wasn’t even the scariest thing about that moment. I turned to my left to be met with hundreds of people, gleaming at me. My mother was sobbing into her hand, holding onto my dad. The lady in front of me was smiling from ear to ear. Her hair was a dark green, trailing behind her shoulders so I didn’t know how long it was. Her entire outfit was black, including her socks which she wore over her pants. I could tell she was one of the ones who loved this day. Not all do.

“You ready, darling?” She asked, placing her warm hand onto my lower back. The heat resonated even when she removed it. I nodded, handing her the small piece of paper that was dotted with an ink pen. She took it from me and giggled. My vision began to get hazy, faces started to blur together in the audience. I watched as the green-haired lady threw my piece of paper into the fire, it immediately catching flames and turning into ashes. I looked back at my little sister who was being held by my brother. He was older than me and stronger, but in that moment he seemed like a child. Crying as I stepped on the stage. My little sister didn’t seem to care. I think she was confused as to what was happening. People walked past her, congratulating her on her older sister who was chosen. Her face remained the same expression as always. 

“How did she get picked?” I heard a whisper from behind me. “I mean come on, why does she get to go?” I turned to see Daisy. She was my best friend until she found out we were going against each other for The Waking. It has always been her dream to get chosen, and this was her third time trying. This was my first time, and I was picked. I knew it was going to be the end of our friendship. Even though I was in the stands cheering her on every single time she got so close. I faced back to the lady next to me, who was giving me a hand to get onto the small platform that was placed onto the stage. My black boots contrasted against the bright white the platform was painted. They always have to repaint it because of the mess that gets on it. 

“Alright, sweetie.” The green-haired lady spoke, handing me a golden cup. I’ve seen this happen many times before, but at that moment I froze. I knew what I was supposed to do, but I was stunned. The golden cup had jewels tracing the side of it. The lady laughed along with most of the audience as she pried my fingers open and forced the cup into my hands. 

“You know,” she whispered into my ear during the transition. “I always wanted to be picked but never did. You should be grateful for this moment.” The metal cup cooled my fingertips. I looked into the dark red liquid, it swirling around as if someone was stirring it. I gulped before taking sips from it. Metallic faced my tastebuds, almost making me gag. I handed the cup back to the lady, some liquid spilling from my lips. I wiped it away as people laughed at my clumsiness. I could see that my family weren’t even facing the stage anymore. They all had their backs to me. 

“This isn’t fair!” A voice screeched, causing all heads to turn. Daisy stood up, walking over to the platform. She was about to step onto it when the lady grabbed her. No one is allowed on the stage while the transition is happening. Daisy knew that. “Get off me!” She yelled, pushing the woman away. “Why does she get this chance? I have tried three times and not once was I ever chosen!” 

I could feel the blood hit my stomach, heat rose in my body and I felt ill. I never knew what it felt like to be chosen so I thought nothing of it. I figured this was how most people felt when being picked. My hands became sweaty again. Daisy was still yelling at everyone for not being chosen. I saw as guards dressed in all black came rushing over to take her away when my legs went numb. I fell to the ground, my whole body shaking. Screams escaped multiple people as I was quivering. Everyone froze, unaware of what to do. I could feel something rising back in my throat, escaping my mouth and pouring onto the platform. I heard my mother scream and my little sister cry. Darkness surrounded me, but I could still hear. My body became numb.

“Guess she wasn’t the one.” Someone mumbled. Years of watching people swallow blood before convulsing in front of you never make you any more prepared when the next one happens. I’ve seen friends, family, and even strangers do this and it wasn’t harder or easier for any. It was always the same reaction for me. Screaming and crying. 

I heard shuffling around me before another voice peeped up.

“She was poisoned. She didn’t even drink the right one.” 

Silence followed after that statement. Besides a few gasps, all that you could hear was the leaves crunching in the distance. I couldn’t move. I felt my life slowly slipping away from me. I wanted to cry and scream and vomit all at once. I couldn’t understand why someone would do this. Why someone would ruin my chances?

Laughter emerged from the side of me and I knew who it was. Daisy giggled, “Like she would have been the one anyways. Give me the actual cup, I’ll show you a real demigod.”

October 06, 2020 16:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.