Solveig and Her Misadventures

Written in response to: Write a story about anger.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Adventure

WRITER'S NOTE: This is a retrospective of Solveig, an ex-Sea Otter Pirate, through her eyes. The following passage can be found in "The Fisher-Orc and His Voyage" Chapter 36. Please enjoy the reading.

I've walked among the harbor and coastline as I went towards the east of Oliealand Island. “Who do they think they are?” I asked this in my mind frustratedly. “Leaving someone like me behind when I was so close to getting what I wanted. So much for being a Sea Otter in the past year and 9 months. I’ve never liked them! So who really needs them anyways? I only joined them because they were the first pirates I encountered. It’s like Pearl had said: I’m as good as a Sea Vulture anyway instead. Speaking of which, I shall go to them immediately before they completely retreat.”

The first thing I did as a ex-Sea Otter, was ran as fast as I could while searching for the Bold Scavenger vessel. I eventually saw that they weren’t far from where the Sea Otters were located.An idea was flowing through my mind. “Now that Helma is out of the picture, I can simply take matters into my own hand and hook. No longer will I be the second fiddle. It’s time I take charge and achieve my goal.” I smiled as I thought about all of this in my head as I continues to run towards where the Sea Vultures were moored. They were about to way their anchor anytime soon!

Next thing I did, quickly shouted to them: “Wait!” I even waved my left hand above thy head while running as quickly as my legs could me.

The Sea Vultures looked at the harbor and were scared out of their wits when they saw me approaching.

“It’s her! It’s the Sea Otter who killed our beloved Captain!”

“Drat! Things aren’t going to look pretty if she’s aboard.”

“Way that anchor quickly! We must escape before she kills us as well.”

“Don’t need to tell me twice!”

“Once we have this ship on course, there’s no way of her catching up.”

“True to that. We can even kill her with our cannons just to be on the safe side.” 

I shouted again: “Hold on! I just want to talk.”

The pirates continue to way the anchor. I quickly jumped on the anchor. Luckily for me, I was able to close to their vessel as I successfully jumped onto the anchor and climbed up the chain to the peak of the ship. The Sea Vultures immediately brought out their swords as soon as they saw me there on top of their vulture statue. They pointed their weapons towards their Captain’s killer without hesitation aka thyself. I stood there in front of them up in the deck as I held up my hand and hook slightly so they all can see that I was not armed, if only but the hook that is. Judging from the looks on their faces, I could tell they were afraid of me that even some were shaking off their boots. I couldn’t help but smile with such a response.

“What brings you here, Sea Otter?” asked the pirate who had Vilma on his shoulder. It was none other than Zecindis; aka second-in-command of the Sea Vulture pirates. Helma’s first mate was armed with two swords, one at each of his hips.

“I’m no longer a Sea Otter thanks to my heartless Captain. She and the rest of them left me behind,” replied I annoyingly.

The first mate scoffs before replying: “I didn’t ask if you were a Sea Otter or not. I asked: ‘What brings you here?’” 

“I’m here because I’m desperate for revenge,” I said as I looked intently into Zecindis’s eyes.

“You want to take vengeance on the Sea Otters just because they left you behind?” asked the Zecindis with his brow arching.

“That’s correct,” I nodded. “Plus: I have something that 's important on that ship.”

“You’re talking nonsense, darling,” waved the first mate. “What’s on the ship that’s so important there?”

Thereto, I replied as I've she placed my hand on thy left hip: “It’s personal, that’s why!”

Zecindis the first mate bursts out laughing and then says: “Hahaha, is it a guy? Is it possible that someone like you actually has someone you love and who loves you back? If that’s so, where is he and why didn’t he stand up for you?”

“As a matter of fact, yes, it is a guy,” I mentioned while mentally laughing in my head. This sailor is so pig-headed. I next continued on: “And you’re quick to assume things with just the appearance of a woman such as myself. What’s the matter? Did your dear old mother ever give you the proper lessons about manners?”

“You bitch! You leave my mother out of this!” the first mate threatened.

“I will if you can do me a favor…” I drawled.

“What’s that now?” asked Zencindis frustratedly. 

“I, Solveig, would like to be the Captain of your establishment,” I commanded. 

Every crewmate among the ship stood there before bursting out with laughter after hearing what I had just said. Apparently Zecindis isn't the only one pig-headed. 

    Eventually the first mate took a deep breath and replied: “You must be joking, my dear. Why must we have you as our new Captain?”

I replied confidently: “Because I can get my hand and hook more dirty than your precious yet useless Captain Helma.”

“Why you little-! I ought to cut your tongue! You best not talk ill about the dead, especially to our beloved, deceased Captain” Zecindis threatened again.

“I would like to see you try. If it’s a fight you want, then I, Solveig, would gladly accept the challenge.”

“Then so be it. Everybody scooted back and let me cut this bitch to pieces.” 

Just like that, the Sea Vultures scoot back and watch as they witness a fight between two pirates fought there on the docks. I was given a sword from Zecindis as he tossed it to me. Next thing I did was quickly withdraw the sword from its scabbard as I made my fighting stance. Vilma lifted herself off of Zecindis’s shoulder and sat on top of the sail. The pet vulture watches this fight as it starts to unfold.

The first mate and I circle around the deck looking at each other eye to eye as the Sea Vultures behind us cheered on. Some of them were all rooting for Zecindis to win while others booed for me to lose.

My opponent smiled as he held his scimitar sword out in a fighting stance. He even signals me to make the first move by taunting me.

I gladly took this opportunity as I've swung her sword towards the first mate, however Zecindis was too fast as he quickly scoots off to the side. As I nearly tumbled, I quickly get myself situated and turn around going for my opponent once more. The first mate again dodged my attack and when doing so, I unfortunately and embarrassingly fell towards the ground this time around.

Laughter from all of the crew mates burst once I had fallen, even from the pet vulture Vilma and the first mate: Zecindis chuckled.

As I turned myself around from the ground, the first mate hovered over me as he smirked there while saying: “I’m giving you one last chance. Just give it up. You will never beat me, dollface.” 

“I ain’t no quitter!” I shouted with rage.

Zecindis the first mate chuckled even more before replying: “It’s funny that you were able to kill someone from the back with ease, but it ain’t much easy when your opponent is up in your face.”

“It’s just a matter of pure luck is all,” I hissed.

“More like a cowardly way from the way I see it,” mentioned the first mate. “Just quit while you're still ahead, you little tramp.”

“Never!” I yelled.

“Then so be it!” shouted Zecindis as he lifted his scimitar sword and swung toward me. However, I was able to roll over and get up swiftly before Zecindis contacted. The first mate used so much of his energy on that one swing that he fell on the ground himself, face planted on the deck. 

     Without any heistation, I stabbed the first mate before he could even get up. Zecindis died instantly from getting stabbed through his back, all thanks to me.

The Sea Vultures stood there in shock and disbelief as I grabbed my new sword out of the Zecindis’s now dead body.

“You! You backstabber!” shouted one of them in the front.

Me as a pirate with a hook pointed my sword towards the one that spoke. “I’ll keep my mouth shut if I were you, unless you lot want to end up like your pathetic first mate here," I replied with a devilish smile. The pirate grew quiet immediately and scooted back within the crowd. 

“Now that I’ve won the duel, I shall be your new Sea Vulture Captain! Is there anyone who objects?” I asked around as I looked around my surroundings.

None of the pirates said anything and I was pleased about that. I even cracked a smile and gave my new crewmates a first order as newly founded Captain: “Set sail to the west where the Sea Otters are heading. We are getting our revenge, once and for all!”

All of the pirates took on their duties as quickly as they could. I gave Vilma the first mate’s body as a gift offering. “Here you go, little one. I hope you like the taste of filth,” I smiled as Vilma started eating the dead body.

There I finally took a hold on the helm of the ship, and started to steer the Bold Scavenger to the west trying to catch up with the Sea Otters. Eventually Vilma was done eating and the pet vulture placed herself onto my shoulder for some company. The pet vulture was no longer afraid of her new Captain which in this case was little old me.

June 14, 2024 23:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.