28 comments

American Historical Fiction Inspirational

Hometown Boy

The year was 1920. Nine-year-old, Dutch, moaned to his four-year-older brother, Moon, “This is all there is?”

“Yeah, ain't it grand? Everything they promised. Well, nothing like the run-down row houses of Chicago. Maybe you don't remember them but they were crammed in pretty tight with no room to play ball at all. Had to walk down two or three streets and cross busy traffic lanes just to get to green open space at a park. Never knew what kind of riff-raft might jump out at ya. Ma wouldn't let us go alone and Dad, well, he was no better than he is now.”

“I was hoping for a room of my own this time.”

“What makes you so special? Lucky you only have to share with me. We all slept in the same room when you was born over that store front in that tiny hamlet. Can't even remember the name of that one I was too young. Tampy something. This ain't bad at all. We'll have a great time. Did ya see that fancy archway over the main street? It's new and was made to honor the veterans of the big war. There are big stone arches the railroad goes over on three of the downtown streets. We can probably climb on those if we don't let the folks know. They have ball fields and parks all over town, a library we can walk to and a beach down by the river to swim at. There's not much yard here but Dad has a job selling shoes finally. Maybe he'll do all right.”

“I'm worried about fitting in at school. It's the middle of the school year. Everyone will have their friends and I'll be an outsider, again.”

“Easier to make friends at your age than mine. We'll stick together like we always have. Our family don't need no one else. Ma, Dad, you and me. Once again in a new town. Don't need to get too attached to it 'cause knowing Dad we will probably be moving along somewhere else real soon anyway.”

Although they stayed in the same town longer than any other town they had been in, they moved from house to house. The boys' favorite had a fireplace, a big yard, and a garage. Like most kids they still had to share a bedroom but it opened to a large tree branch they could shimmy up and down. Handy to get to the outhouse. Dutch liked to hide the few coins he could save under a secret loose tile of the fireplace.

Despite his worries, Dutch was able to assimilate better than he thought. He was never more than an average student in school but he liked extracurricular activities like swimming and football so participated on the local teams.

Because of the father's sickness, as their mother called it, their family never prospered.

“Hey, Moon. Dad is passed out on the front lawn. Come help me haul him in before the neighbors see him. Mom would be mortified.”

Their mother, Nelle, was active in a local church. She taught women's Bible classes and put on skits with the Sunday School kids which included her boys. Dutch liked those more than his brother. He made up his mind and got Baptized when he was eleven. He remained a Christian throughout his life.

Luckily the Baptism was not held at the river. They learned some of the town's history included the collapse of Truesdell Bridge in 1873, the biggest road bridge disaster in American history. Forty-six people attending a Baptism were killed when the weight of the crowd caused the four-year-old iron bridge to fall into the Rock River.

Most of the time Dutch was considered a shy introverted child being content to play by himself with tin soldiers, collecting butterflies or reading books about wolves. But he had a mischievous side, too. Once he launched an illegal rocket into the downtown bridge and had an encounter with police. Luckily the act did not bring down another bridge but he had to use some of those saved pennies to pay a hefty fine. Like all boys he rough-housed with others his age but still fished and trapped muskrats down by the river with friends, too.

Dutch went on to perform in more plays during his high school years. Besides being on the swimming and football teams he joined the debate club and became president of the student body in his senior year. Those swimming skills were put to good use during the three summers he took on lifeguard duty at the beautiful Lowell Park and was credited with saving seventy-seven lives at the beach on the river. (Or maybe it was only young maidens pretending to need rescue by the handsome strapping lad.)

Overall, this small town ended up being a positive influence on these budding young minds. At the time, the settlement of approximately 10,000 people had a strong sense of community and amity for each other. Everyone knew each other and helped each other in times of need. What the parents lacked in formal education, they made up for in "street smarts." They encouraged their sons to work hard in school and make something better of themselves as well. They found racial discrimination horrible and encouraged Dutch and Moon to bring their Jewish and African- American friends home with them even if doing so would cost them their popularity at times.

Dutch became the first member of his family to attend college starting at a time when financial catastrophe befell many. He worked his way through and even sent money back to his struggling family. As in high school, he wasn't the best student because he spent most of his time participating in school activities. Once again, he became a popular student body figure when he led a student strike to protest the college's decision to lay off teachers as the Depression approached. He majored in economics and sociology and graduated in 1932.

His first job after college paid an impressive ten dollars a week so he was able to help out more at home. That led to bigger and better including sportscaster for the Chicago Cubs which led to a screen test while in LA which led to movie career which led to...

Well, as you probably figured out by now Dutch came from such unlikely humble beginnings to become one of the most recognizable and appreciated Presidents of the United States, Ronald Reagan.

November 03, 2023 23:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

28 comments

Rebecca Lewis
00:09 Apr 15, 2024

That's an engaging story! It does a great job showing how Ronald Reagan's years in a small town shaped who he became. I liked how it focused on his family, his challenges, and the community around him. It makes Reagan feel more relatable and gives you a better understanding of the values and experiences that influenced his later life. It's a cool way to humanize a historical figure and show how their upbringing can play a big role in their future success.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
00:28 Apr 15, 2024

Thanks . Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
01:31 Nov 30, 2023

Hey Mary! Nice work on the historical fiction! I adored the way that this story was dialogue based with us learning a bit more background further down the line, but you kept the honesty of the piece in the forefront. I certainly learned a few fun facts, and I was impressed with how well you jumped back in time.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
03:24 Nov 30, 2023

So glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
04:00 Nov 19, 2023

Was he one of few presidents who didn’t come from old money? Most of them seem to start rich and end more so that I’ve read about, especially when they’re from political dynasties. Interesting stuff.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
14:10 Nov 19, 2023

His father was known as a town drunkard and struggled keeping gainful employment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
15:44 Nov 14, 2023

Fascinating look at the origins of a famous American. I’m always interested in the influences that shape our life and outlook. Nicely done — thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Debbie Curtin
20:36 Nov 10, 2023

Had to reread now knowing about Dutch aka Ronald Reagan. Resonated with him in mind. How much was the fiction part of the story?

Reply

Mary Bendickson
22:16 Nov 10, 2023

The dialog. Not sure about the tree to shimmy down?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
09:07 Nov 10, 2023

Well known important people can have humble, ordinary beginnings. Amazing story. I like non fiction. You can learn something.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
14:10 Nov 10, 2023

Thanks for liking. Yes, he considered this town where I live as his hometown.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Parul Shah
20:32 Nov 09, 2023

To tell the tale of an illustrious life in under 3000 words is no easy feat, but you did a great job of zooming in for particular moments and zooming out so the reader sees the trajectory of his life. Well done!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
14:11 Nov 10, 2023

Thank you so much. Glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
12:54 Nov 09, 2023

Love it ❤️🤍❤️ sorry I didn't read earlier. Really interesting! (Hope your manuscript gets accepted!!)

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:50 Nov 09, 2023

Thanks for reading, liking and commenting. Yes I still have a ways to go.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tom Skye
16:57 Nov 08, 2023

Really nice work, Mary, and I didn't see the ending coming. Roald Dahl did a similar story with Hitler. The concept packs a real punch Beautifully written, and super enjoyable to read. Thanks for sharing

Reply

Mary Bendickson
17:55 Nov 08, 2023

Thanks for the comment

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
23:00 Nov 07, 2023

Oh, I had no idea that's where the story was going! It seemed like it was about a life of mostly good fortune, and we glossed over big parts of it - including some interesting spots that could have had great conflict - but now it makes sense. The point was illustrating the humble-roots-to-president journey. One thing that did throw me though - and this is on me - is "his four-year-older brother" right in the opening. I mistook it for "four-year-old", which made the following dialogue sound completely off for the age. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
16:21 Nov 08, 2023

You are right about the age description. I should have done better. Thanks for liking.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Detti
20:40 Nov 07, 2023

Mary, thank you for this. I really enjoyed. I would love to read more about Reagan. When our Queen passed away some lovely tales were released about their special relationship and how she loved to spend time on his ranch. Thank you Mary, I’m now googling books about Reagan…

Reply

Mary Bendickson
16:18 Nov 08, 2023

So glad you enjoyed it enough to inspire research on him. I should do the same on your history but right now I am still focused on getting my book published.

Reply

Rebecca Detti
17:50 Nov 08, 2023

I really did and I’ve been thinking for a while I need to brush up on my knowledge of US presidents. Amazing that you are working on getting your book published. Best of luck with that! Look forward to reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kailani B.
18:12 Nov 07, 2023

I need to brush up on my history; the ending caught me by surprise!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:47 Nov 07, 2023

Thanks for liking. See other comments I have responded to here.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
01:40 Nov 07, 2023

Interesting to read how a humble small town boy grew up to be a President. Some people just have an innate knack for getting along with others.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:44 Nov 07, 2023

Thanks for reading,liking and commenting. Not many towns can claim they raised a US President. I don't think our town embraces it enough. We do have one of the homes he lived in as a tribute but funds are waning and one of the old schools is a museum. There is a Reagan Trail that covers his journeys through the area and we once had Reagan Days but I haven't heard of it lately. Thanks for liking Run Forest Run.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Corr
19:50 Nov 04, 2023

I loved this, Mary! Interesting and well written. 😊

Reply

Mary Bendickson
20:05 Nov 04, 2023

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.