0 comments

Friendship Funny Teens & Young Adult

Summer had just started in the state of Florida in the year 1998. Two best friends Renae & Hanna are at the beach watching the sunrise. "I'm glad we came early just to watch the sunrise" Hanna says as she starts to put suntan lotion on her body while wearing a bikini. (Hanna has strawberry blonde hair with freckles.)


" yes I'm glad too" Renae adds (with curly brown hair & brown eyes.), but it is not paying any attention to the sunrise nor her best friend, instead she has her head in a book that she had brought with her to the beach. Hanna snatches the book out of Renae's hand "You're not even watching the sunrise you are too busy reading that stupid book!" Renae then snatches her book back out of Hanna's hand & response

" it's not stupid! It's one of my favorite books!" Hanna rolls her eyes while saying " School is over! Enough about books already enjoy the sunrise & the warmth of summer!" Renae & Hanna are both sophomores well soon to be sophomores since they've just left out of 9th grade! Hanna puts her sunglasses on & lays relaxed on her beach chair while trying to get a tan & Renae is still reading her book. "Are you getting a tan this summer?" Renae asks Hanna. Hanna responds " Does it look like I'm getting a tan?" Renae looks up from her book & says "yea"

" ok then yes I'm getting a tan" Hanna says as she still lays like a model from Victoria's secret on her beach chair. Hanna reaches in her bag to get her cassette & headphones to play Britney Spears "Oops I did it again". Hanna's music plays very loudly through her headphones to the point Renae finds it hard to read her book. Renae rolls her eyes & says with an annoyed tone of voice "Do you mind I'm reading my book!" Hanna sits up & takes off her sunglasses stops her cassette to say " No Do you mind?! It's the first fucking day of summer & instead of my best friend enjoying the sunshine with me she's reading a book that can be read while being at home!". Renae slams her book down in the sand " You know what fine I won't read my book but I am not gonna sit here with you I'm gonna go get my feet wet by the ocean!" Hanna starts her music again & as Renae is walking to the ocean Hanna shouts at her "Fine I hope a shark comes & eats you for dinner you dead fish!" Renae turns around & shouts " How can I get eaten by a shark if I'm not gonna be swimming in the ocean you tweet! Maybe YOU should have your head in a book!". Hanna flags Renae & sits back in her chair when all of a sudden Timothy Wallace approaches her. Timothy Wallace goes to the same high school as Renae & Hanna he is now a Senior. "Hey Hanna didn't expect to see you here" Hanna takes off her glasses & realizes its Timothy from school she quickly sits up from her chair & engages in a conversation with Timothy. " yea this is where I'll be all summer I freaking love the beach! If I could live here I would!" Hanna says while nervously giggling. "Oh yea mine too! So I guess I'll see you all summer!" Timothy says while winking. " Hanna while blushing answers "yes definitely". Timothy then walks away from Hanna & Renae comes back to her beach chair " was that Timothy Wallace? What was he talking to you about?!" Renae says excitedly! Hanna's face began to blush even more than before " oh just about how he's looking forward to seeing me at the beach ALL SUMMER!". " oh my god! He was your crush all freshman year!" Renae says while clapping. Hanna giggles & says " I know! I wonder what he's like in bed?! Maybe I should ask Elizabeth Watson since she had dated him!" Renae laughs along with Hanna " oh that would be cruel!" Hanna shrugs her shoulders & says " Hey! It's gonna be a cruel, cruel summer!"

Renae & Hanna are now walking on the boardwalk Hanna with a vanilla ice cream cone & Renae with cotton candy. " ew I can't believe you have cotton candy! It is the most disgusting thing to have! Hanna says to Renae while licking her melting ice cream cone. Renae rolls her eyes & says " it is not! It's better to have than a melted ice cream cone as she points to Hanna's ice cream cone. Hanna with an annoyed expression on her face says " Oh shut up I'd rather have an ice cream cone than that thing! & plus it's summer you are supposed to have ice cream & it's supposed to melt!" Renae rolls her eyes " cotton candy is a summer treat as well" Hanna & Renae find a bench on the boardwalk Hanna finishes up her melted ice cream cone & says " No it's not it's much like carnival food" Renae raises her voice " oh shut up & let me enjoy my summer treat! I think it's a summer treat I don't care what you say!"

Hanna disengages from Renae & starts to look at the men walking by on the boardwalk " ooh he's cute! Wish I had a cellphone I would give all of them my number!" Renae finishes up whatever was left of her cotton candy, "oh please stop behaving like a sleaze!" Hanna with a discomforting look on her face says to her best friend. " A sleaze! I am not behaving that way it's just that we are no longer freshmen Renae we have to step our game up just a little when it comes to the guys!" Renae rolls her eyes " I don't really wanna talk to guys" Hanna scoots closer to her friend on the bench & says " Are you a a lesbo?!". Renae stands up & says " A lesbo! How could you call me that? I am not that! I just want to get good grades! my sophomore year that's all then I'll worry about boys later they'll always be here ya know!"

Hanna begins to laugh & as bad as Renae didn't want to laugh along with Hanna she started to laugh anyway.

All of a sudden Hanna & Renae sees their Art teacher, Mr. Smith, while in school all of the freshmen girls had a huge crush on Mr. Smith he was tall & buff with blue eyes & blonde hair.

Hanna points in Mr. Smith's direction " Hey look it's Mr. Smith he looks even better without his school attire!" Renae puts Hanna's hand-done & says "Well don't point that's just rude!" Hanna pinches Renae & says "oh shut up he didn't even notice!" Renae starts to rub her arm then stands up from the bench & says " are we going back to the beach or not? Our belongings are still there we've seen enough stupid people on this stupid boardwalk!" Hanna stands up as well & says "Fine let's go back to the beach, you crybaby!" Hanna walks away from Renae & Renae follows behind her & says "I am not a baby!"

As Hanna & Renae are approaching the beach they see Sheila Thompson from their science class. Sheila Was African American she was wearing a white bikini with a bun on top of her head. Hanna & Renae approaches Sheila & both to say "Hey Sheila!" Shelia smiles & says "Hey! Happy first day of summer I can't believe that we are going to be sophomores next year!" Renae clapping & says " I know time went by so fast! my dad was right high school Comes & goes" Hanna rolls her eyes at Renae & says to sheila " I know! Right just think about how cute the senior boys are gonna be huh". Sheila laughs softly " Well it was nice running into you two I hope your summer goes well!". As sheila was about to walk away stops her & complements her new cassette player " ooh yours is nice mines is all beat up because it was my older sisters when she was in school I've been begging my parents for a new one". Shelia laughs while saying " thank you! Just got it as a birthday present from my parents!".

" So what are you listening to?" Hanna says while pointing to Sheila's cassette.

" Brandy & Monica "The Boy is Mine". " OOH COOL! I LIKE BRANDY!!" sheila laughs while waving goodbye to Renae & Hanna. Hanna & Renae finally return to their spot on the beach. " What time is it?" Hanna asks Renae since she was the one who was wearing a watch. "It's 1230pm to be exact".

"Oh cool it's still pretty early what else must we do?" Hanna says with a tiring tone of voice. Renae with her finger on her chin looking around the beach filled with people " I don't know maybe swim in the ocean it is hot you know!"

Hanna gets up & starts to immediately run to the ocean. Renae runs after her & says "hey! Wait for me!"

Both Hanna & Renae splash each other in the ocean playfully. After 30 mins of constant splashing one another in the ocean. Hanna & Renae starts to run back to their beach chairs while accidentally kicking sand in a woman's face who was laying down trying to get a tan. Hanna yells "sorry" to the woman. The woman starts to laugh while brushing the sand off of her face & body. "What's next? We've been at the beach for a long time" Renae says while out of breath, "And? It's the first day of summer!" Hanna says while also being out of breath. Renae says excitedly "oh we can check out that clothing store on the boardwalk", Hanna with an unimpressed look on her face responded," No that place looks like somewhere my grandmother would shop". Renae rolls her eyes while saying, " Well do you have any better ideas?" Hanna makes a silly face at Renae then on the corner of her eye she sees Timothy Wallace playing football with his friends who are soon to be seniors as well. "Oh my God, he's still here! What should I do?" Hanna says while tapping Renae?

Renae pushes Hanna's hand off of her & says " I don't know maybe go talk to him?" Hanna then behaves jitterily "oh my God I mean what could I talk to him about?" Renae becomes annoyed by her friend's behavior " maybe pick up where you two left off earlier about the summer, the beach". Hanna reaches in her beach bag for her hand mirror & red rose lipstick. While she puts her lipstick on in the mirror she turns to her friend & says "wish me luck". Instead of Renae wishing her friend good luck she reaches for her book which is beside her & begins to pick up on the chapter she had read. As Hanna approaches Timothy & his friends, Timothy smiles at Hanna & says " hey it's you again". Hanna starts to blush & says "yea it's me again". Timothy starts to twirl his football in the air & says " So what are you doing for the rest of the day? Hanna nervously answers Timothy "uh me?". Timothy laughs while saying " yea you", "oh nothing probably stay at the beach for the rest of the day". " Well my friend Jim is having a first of the summer party at his house wanna come?" Timothy says while smiling at Hanna. Hanna smiles back & says "sure can my friend Renae come along?"

"Sure I don't see why not meet me at my jeep I'll drive you over there" Timothy then walks away from Hanna & Hanna blushes while running back to Renae. "Guess where we just got invited to?" Hanna says while tapping Renae's shoulder. Renae with an I am used expression on her face answers " where?"

"A PARTY!!!" Hanna starts to do the rabbit dance while renae still looks unamused. "Oh come on Renae just think about it we are going to be partying with seniors!!"

"Woop De doo," Renae says as her head is in the book. " you know what Renae I'm going to this party with or without you he's waiting for us in his car so he can take us to this party & I'm not gonna keep him waiting" Hanna starts to gather all of her belongings that she brought with her to the beach & begins to walk away from her friend leaving her all alone.

Renae finally sticks her nose out of her book & begins to watch hanna walk away. "Oh gosh darn it," Renae says while gathering the belongings she then yells out "hey Hanna wait!". Hanna stops walking as she hears her best friend's voice. Renae then catches up with her " I couldn't let you go to that party with a bunch of guys that you hardly knew I would be a fool if I did that" Renae says while putting her arm around Hanna.


Hanna, Renae & Timothy arrive at the party. As they enter the party they hear Faith Hill "This Kiss" play on the stereo. "ugh this is the music that they are playing at a PARTY!" Hanna says while being disgusted by the poor choice of music she was hearing. Timothy laughs & says "Oh yeah I forgot to mention the party is going to be monitored by Jim's Parents so there will be no alcoholic beverages nothing inappropriate". " oh well that explains the music, it sounds like something you would hear at an 8th-grade dance" hanna answers while rolling her eyes. "I'm going to go say hi to Jim want any fruit punch you two?" Timothy asks Renae & Hanna. They both respond "yes" Timothy walks away from the two as he enters through the crowd of people. " I like this party it's exactly how a party should be," Renae says while smiling. " ugh, please Renae I was expecting something wild! you know? Like no parents around alcohol beverages shit like that!". " oh please Hanna we are only 15 we are not supposed to be drinking & besides my parents would kill me if I came home with the sour breath," Renae says.

Hanna rolls her eyes, Timothy then approaches Renae & Hanna with their punch. "Here you go," Timothy says while handing the drinks to the girls. "So how are you guys liking the party so far?" Renae smiles "It's great thanks for inviting me". Timothy smiles at hanna & asked her if she wanted to go sit by the lake behind Jim's house she replied yes. Hanna waves bye to Renae as she & Timothy exit the party.

Hanna & Timothy are sitting by the lake laughing & chattering while their feet touch the water. "It has been a good first day of summer don't you think? Timothy had asked hanna. " yea I got to see you which is so rare" Hanna answers while nervously laughing. "what? How is that rare? Timothy asks Hanna. " because while in school we had different classes I mean I would see you in the hallway but that's about it & plus I thought I wasn't your type". Timothy sips his punch & says " yea & next school year I'll be a senior so enjoy my presence while you can because I soon will be in college, but as far as my type I don't have a specific type". "Oh yeah you do Elizabeth was gorgeous I'm talking Victoria secrets gorgeous she had long blonde hair, slim waist she probably was like a size 2". Timothy is amused how Hanna thought Elizabeth his ex-girlfriend was so perfect when in reality she was a piece of work! " yea Elizabeth is pretty but you don't know what she was like. She was a brat her parents literally gave her whatever she asked & she always made everything about her. Whenever I would talk about my dreams she wouldn't even listen to me so looks can be deceiving" Hanna laughs & asked Timothy "so how do you think of me? Am I a brat? Because sometimes I can be a piece of work" As Hanna continues talking Timothy softly kisses her on her lips. Hanna smiles & kisses him back. Both of them were in bliss until Renae interrupted the two because she wanted to tell hanna that they are now playing some cool music.

"Hey, Hanna guess what?!....oh I'm sorry did I disturb you two" Timothy & Hanna both laugh. Timothy kisses Hanna on the cheek & tells her he will see her at the party. As Timothy walks back to the party Renae jumps into her friend's arms excitedly. "oh my God I can't believe that you two were kissing!" Hanna laughs & says " yeah we were having a pretty good time until you rudely interrupted us". Renae apologizes to Hanna without hesitation Hanna forgave her friend. "You know what I'm going to go back to the party & find Timothy," Hanna says cheerfully. As she is ready to take off she looks at her best friend & says " Are you ok with me leaving you out here" Renae smiles " No I'm good, go have fun with your boyfriend". Hanna nervously responds " Oh my God we are not in a relationship just yet but I guess.." Renae interrupts her " Just Go I'll be fine!!". Hanna walks up to her best friend & says " This is going to be a good summer". She kisses Renae on her cheek & runs away. " ugh eww you probably have cooties!" Renae yells at hanna. Renae then sits by the lake pulls her book out of her handbag & looks up at the dark sky & sees a full moon. " ooh the moon looks like it's touching the lake!" Renae opens up the book & finishes up the chapter " she's right it is gonna be a good summer but at least I can finish my book"

November 14, 2020 17:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.