12 comments

Adventure Fiction

Eddie hobbled home after his morning walk. At ninety-nine, he struggled to get down the block, but most days he managed to go at least part of the way. Today, his body ached more than usual but he refused to let that stop him.

As he arrived back at his house, Nurse Edna took his cane and helped him sit in the waiting wheelchair. That was their routine. A mid-morning walk down the block, only to be greeted with a wheelchair at the end. 

Nurse Edna watched every step he took, like he was a toddler. Eddie resented that, but knew it was for his own good. Feeble in mind and body, he needed Edna or they would put him in one of those homes. And Mary had made Eddie promise to keep Nurse Edna on after she passed. Eddie kept his word, he always did. He could never deny Mary anything. Somehow, she always knew what he needed.

Edna was a top-notch aide, kind and skilled. She wasn’t a nurse, but that’s what they had taken to calling her from the beginning. It was a title of respect, even without the degree. She had taken good care of Mary. Nothing but the best for his Mary - Eddie made sure of that. Now it was his turn.

“You want to go for a walk without me, fine,” Nurse Edna had told him after Mary passed. “But I have rules. One of them is that you are not to get hurt while under my care. So if I don’t go with you, I will stand on the sidewalk and watch you. The first time you look like you are about to fall will be the last time you go without me. Deal?”

Of course Eddie agreed. He didn’t have much of a choice. At this stage in his life, he was determined to walk as long as he could manage it. These mid-morning strolls reminded him of the long walks he and Mary used to take. He had to walk alone, otherwise he was afraid his mind wouldn’t remember. He needed to keep remembering her. Even if it was only when he walked down the block.

After his morning outings, he would rest, maybe nap. Then Nurse Edna would prepare lunch, and try to stimulate conversation about something or other, before he would sit in front of the TV. If the weather was nice, Edna would take him for an afternoon walk, this time in his wheelchair. Or they would play a game to try and get Eddie to move his stiff limbs. Then dinner and more TV before readying for bed. Not very exciting.

So Eddie’s morning walks were often the highlight of his day. He yearned to go further, but was proud that he could at least go as far as he did. There weren’t many his age that could still take a short stroll, and he knew it wouldn’t be long before his mid-morning walks came to an end.

“Great job today on your walk. I think you went a little further than yesterday. How do you feel?” Nurse Edna asked as she wheeled him into the house.

“Hmph. I walked to the Sullivan’s front door yesterday. Today I only walked to their driveway. At least ten steps short. So how do you think I feel?” 

He was surly today. Edna understood that Eddie didn’t mean to be so cross; he was just frustrated. Her heart ached for him. It was hard-growing old. Not being able to walk down the block when he used to run for miles in the morning. Not being able to remember what he had for breakfast, when he used to command high positions both in the army and beyond, in his professional career. Not being able to talk about times of old, times that no one remembered anymore. Not being able to be with Mary.

“Well, I have a little surprise for you – maybe it will improve your mood. It might help you remember some of your past. Here. You can open it now.” Edna handed Eddie a package.

“It’s … it’s not my birthday – at least I don’t think it is. Right? I can’t remember when…ugh, that’s something I should remember, since I’ve had so many. Nurse Edna, if it’s not my birthday, why the present? It feels like a book.”

“It is not your birthday. You are still a youthful 99! We’ll have a big party when you reach the century mark, don’t you worry!” Edna joked.

“It is a book – but I think you’ll like this one. There is something inside that you should see.”

Eddie tore the wrapping paper off the large book. “World War 2 with never before told stories and illustrations. Huh?” he said, baffled. “I was in World War 2. In Europe, I think. Is that right?” He looked to Edna for confirmation.

“Yes. You were. I have heard a few of your stories.  This book has more stories, from different soldiers, medics and other people involved in the war. But what I want you to see is on pages 71 and 72. I have a little bookmark in the correct place.”

Edna helped Eddie maneuver the book.  As soon as it fell open to the correct pages, a sign of recognition flashed in Eddie’s eyes. He stared down at the tome resting on his lap. A large photograph spanning the two pages stared back at him.

“Hey. I know this picture. That’s me,” he said, pointing to a figure in the photo.   “Standing on top of the big gun. They called it Anzio Annie. We were in Anzio. That’s … Italy. Anzio Annie had us pinned down. I remember. We couldn’t find it for the longest time. The enemy hid it in the railroad trestles during the daylight hours. Our planes couldn’t spot it. At night, the enemy would fire on our position. We looked for that big gun for weeks. My buddy -his name was, er.. Walter. Yeah, Walter - he eventually found it while on patrol, quite by accident. At least, I think it was him. Well, once we knew the hiding spot, we captured that sucker so it couldn’t do any more damage. Afterwards, we posed for this photo, all of us standing on top of the big gun. My whole unit. We all fit, that’s how big Anzio Annie was. Our commander sent the picture to the General as proof we captured it. Wow! I didn’t know we were in a book.”

“It’s the same picture you had in a scrapbook,” Edna explained. “So I knew it meant something to you. You’re famous now! And, there is more to the surprise. When I saw this picture in the book, I started making a few phone calls to try and track down some of your old unit. I contacted a few people and eventually found Walter Stockton and his son, Bob.” 

“Walter! Wow, he was my buddy in the war. Did I say that already? You know, war is terrible. Really bad. We fought so that there would be no more wars. They told us World War 2 was the war to end all wars. Ah well, maybe they say that after every war. I don’t know. But we believed it. Some of the guys I met over there, in the war – the best. I wish you could have met them. They were my brothers. And Walter…it’s so good to hear he’s still around. A lot aren’t, you know. Walter was older than me…can’t believe I remember him. Haven’t thought of him for years. I can’t even remember my own name half the time. That’s what gets me angry sometimes. I don’t mean to take it out on you, Nurse Edna.”

Edna had never heard Eddie speak so much. And he was lucid, animated even. She pushed on, if only to keep Eddie engaged.

“I know you don’t mean to be cross, Eddie. No worries, I do understand, you know-

“Anyway, when I spoke to Bob, Walter’s son, we talked about your time at Anzio. He also said that after Italy, your unit went to Paris. And they gave you a parade. Do you remember being in Paris?”

“Sure, I remember Paris. And the parade. Thousands came out to see us walk through the city center, cheering. You never heard such loud cheers. For us! The people were so appreciative. We were just a ragtag group, mostly kids, but we were treated like royalty when we were there. I was only 19. What a great city! Paris. And that’s where I met my Mary, you know. I remember that day like it was yesterday. I told Mary we’d go back one day." 

Eddie’s voice trailed off. "We never did. I wish we had.”

“I’m so glad you remember Paris and meeting Mary there. Bob said Walter spoke of you and Mary. Walter said Mary was the best thing to happen to his old buddy.”

“Without a doubt, Nurse Edna. Without a doubt.”

Eddie had a look on his face that Edna hadn’t seen before. Happy. . . No, not exactly happy. Maybe more thoughtful. He remembered everything as he spoke-she was certain. It was like he was coming to life again, right before her eyes. Not just biding time, counting days. She hadn’t been sure if bringing back memories of the war was a good idea. But she knew Eddie was getting more and more frustrated with each passing day. His memory was getting worse, and he was receding deeper and deeper into his own world. So she decided to give it a try.

“Well, this year is the 80th anniversary of the parade you were in. The veteran’s association is taking some of the World War 2 veterans to Paris to commemorate the liberation of the city. A special excursion. Bob is going to take Walter.”

Bob had told Edna that his dad was like a person adrift at sea without an anchor. He had almost nothing of his past to hang on to, to know who he was and what his life meant.  He was just sailing vacantly through the last few years.

Much like Eddie.

When Bob showed his dad the photo in the book, Walter became more animated, and showed a spark that hadn’t been there in years. The past meant something. What these aging men did back then, meant something. That’s when the Paris trip came up. It was the possibility of a trip that seemed to invigorate Walter. Bob had immediately made the decision to take his dad to Paris, after seeing Walter’s response to the photograph.

Seeing Eddie’s reaction just now, Edna decided to see if Eddie would want to go.

“A plane has been arranged, for the World War 2 veterans, to take them back to Paris…if you would want to go. As I said, there is a special celebration commemorating the liberation of the city. And they are having another parade for all the vets like you, who were there 80 years ago.”

“At my age, travel? I don’t know if I can do it.”

“You would be traveling by a plane that has been specifically adapted to accommodate veterans like you. And I would go with you. They will have nurses, real ones, and doctors along, to keep an eye on everyone. It’s a chance for you to see that what you did back then was important. And that it is still recognized today. Plus, if you decide to go, you will see Walter and other World War 2 vets that lived through the same experiences. Bob said Walter was excited about the trip. How long has it been since you last saw Walter?”

“We were kids in those days. We wrote each other for a dozen or so years after we got back, but since then, a lifetime has passed. . . He really said he remembered Mary? She was special. He was the best man at our wedding, you know. I didn’t remember that until just now.”

A smile settled on Eddie’s face. Edna knew he was thinking about Mary. After a silent pause that lasted more than a few minutes, Eddie spoke.

“Yes, Let’s go, if we still can. Mary wants me to go. I feel it. And it would be good to see Walter again. After all these years. I can show you where Mary and I first met. She’ll be with us. Right here.” Eddie patted his chest.

July 10, 2024 18:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

12 comments

Beverly Goldberg
06:54 Jul 18, 2024

What a lovely story. I'm in a senior living place and hear stories like this from some of the oldest men in the place. This was so real and so heartbreaking. His Mary!!! And the wonderful aide. Those are my heroes--working hard and caring, with such difficult jobs, still smiles for all.

Reply

Linda Kenah
19:03 Jul 18, 2024

Thank you, Beverly. I’m so glad you liked it. And I agree, those that care for our elderly, or others in need, are true heroes. Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
18:44 Jul 16, 2024

Amazing writing. Emotions all the way.

Reply

Linda Kenah
19:17 Jul 16, 2024

Thank you, Darvico. This one was emotional for me to write. I think you are an extremely talented writer, so your comments on my story carry a lot of weight. Thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
21:46 Jul 12, 2024

Tears in my eyes. Linda, what a wonderful way to highlight both the frustration of getting old, feeling life, self and memory slipping and remembering the veterans.

Reply

Linda Kenah
23:20 Jul 12, 2024

Thank you so much, Trudy. That really means a lot!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Hope
17:01 Jul 12, 2024

What a beautiful story. At the start, we see Eddie's life as a monotonous routine, a struggle for independence. The book and the photo change everything. They give him a new lease on life - a connection to the past and to his beloved Mary. Very touching!

Reply

Linda Kenah
18:47 Jul 12, 2024

Thank you, Karen. I'm glad you liked it. Yes, the photo gave Eddie a new lease on life. It took the memories of war, a terrible time to be sure, to remind both he and Walter that life was more than just existing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
14:43 Jul 11, 2024

Such a sweet one, Linda !!! Enjoyed this one !

Reply

Linda Kenah
18:03 Jul 11, 2024

Thank you, Alexis. Your opinion means a lot to me. Thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
23:43 Jul 10, 2024

Yes. The greatest!

Reply

Linda Kenah
02:28 Jul 11, 2024

Thank you, Mary. Much appreciated.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.