0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Fiction

A man in his mid to late thirties was walking down the street. Nothing was going right in his life could not figure out why. So after a while of walking he came upon a library. He figure why not maybe he could get a laugh from a book. Maybe he will feel a little better he walks up opens the door.

Goes in takes a look around at all the books on the shelve the librarian sees him.

Librarian : ( Sir may I help you.)

Man : ( Hi uh yes my name is Mike. I was wondering if I could just read some of the books here.)

Librarian : ( Sure but you could just take them home. Read them from the comfort of your house.)

Mike: ( Well. I just rather sit here and read. I will never know if I like the book or not. It would be a waist to take it home and not like it.

Librarian: ( Okay good point. Go a head take a look, around if you have any questions I am right here.

Mike: ( Thank you Mama.)

Librarian : ( You are welcome.)

Mike begins to look around the library strolling from shelf to shelf. He is not quite sure what he is looking for. Mike decides to go to the fantasy section, he loves a good book on dragons. As he is looking for a dragon book Mike discovers a shelf with glass doors. He walks up to it to look at the books ignoring the sign on the door. Turns around yelling for the librarian.

Mike: ( Hey mama! )

Librarian: ( Yes. What can I help you with?)

Mike: ( I was wondering what this shelf was all about.)

Librarian: ( Oh well this shelf is for the advanced readers .)

Mike thinks for a second.

Mike thinking: ( Well I am a pretty good reader. Why don’t I give these books a go? )

Mike: ( I am a pretty good reader. I would like to take a crack at these book. )

Librarian : ( Okay. I just want you to know things happen.)

Mike: ( What things? You know what never mind. The stuff that happens can be any worse than what is going on now.)

Librarian : ( Okay let me get the key to unlock it and it all yours. )

The librarian walks away to get the key. Mike stands there looking at all the book trying to figure out. Which one he is going to read first then he sees the book. At the bottom shelf in the corner. The librarian comes back over to Mike with the key looks at him saying.

Librarian: ( Did you find a book? )

Mike: ( Yes I did. Right there in the bottom left corner.)

The librarian looks she sees the book Mike is talking about. Opens the glass grabbing the books turns to Mike says.

Librarian: ( You sure you want this one.)

Mike: ( Yes I am. Why?)

Librarian: ( Well this book is known for adventure. Also has scenarios that are worse than any nightmare you have ever had.)

Mike: ( Okay! Let me give it a go.)

The librarian hand Mike the book closes up the shelf and walks off. Mike looking at the book with excitement walks over to a chair. Sits down still looking at the cover of the book rubs the dust off of it. The light from the window hit the book shinning up the letters on the cover. Hitting Mikes eyes he is looking at the book smiling the as if it was a dream.

Mike passes out in the chair only to wake up in a world he does not know. As he is looking around at this world seeing. Volcanoes erupting in the distance the sky is black. The ground is nothing but dirty no grass any where. In the distances he hear a animal scream in pain. Mike thinks to his self.

Mike thinking: ( Where am I ? I was in the library looking at a book now I am here.)

Out of no where making Mike snap out of thought he hears screaming turning around. Mike sees something or someone running toward him all mike hears is run. He can not figure out why this guy or woman or what ever is telling him to run. Mike looks up to the sky for a split second a lighting flashes just long enough. For Mike to see.

This large winged serpent flowing through the sky with ease. With a wing span that Mike can only put together in his head that are the length of six jumbo jets nose to tail. With a body that would stretch the length of seven football fields. That being enough Mike takes off running trying to find a place to hide. Not sure as to where he can hide Mike keeps running for his life. As he hears coming from behind him a bloody curdling scream.

The silence then nothing but a whoosh of Mike’s head as he thinks he is next. Mike falls through a opening in the ground. Which leads to a tunnel that has a slant to it so Mike is sliding. After a few minutes of sliding Mike doing everything he can to stop. Which is not working Mike comes to the end of the tunnel.

In which make Mike free fall into a cage he lands in the cage with a thud. Mike can not believe what is going on. He slowly gets up looking around at everything that is in this room. The room is lit up with little pools of fire on the ground there are chains on the walls. In the distance.

There are screams of pain mixed with laughter he sits in the cage knowing at some point. He will get noticed Mike thinks ( This is just a dream from a book. If I get hurt I will just wake up.) In the distance Mike hears stomping that is so loud. And so heavy that it shakes the cage. With rocks falling from the ceiling the stomping growing closer and louder.

The only thing that Mike can do is sit there and hope that he can not get seen. But his hopes are dashed as this thing walks, into the room he is sitting the cage in. The nine foot giant with huge muscles jet black eyes. Horns on it head at least four foot tall. Teeth at least a foot and a half tall and the skin on this creature is a deep dark red. At the end of it is a tail that is scaly lined with horns at least two foot tall.

This thing looks at the cage with a smile on it face letting drool fall down its lip. Looks dead at Mike with a look like it will reach in the cage. And pull his soul of him through his chest. Mike with fear in his eye standing there hoping for a miracle the thing reach’s up to grab the cage. When all hope seemed lost for Mike the bottom of the cage opens.

Once again Mike is in free fall he looks over to a corner a woman is crouched down. Watching as Mike falls then she push’s another button Mike looks down. A door opens he falls through the door, as the door closes Mike hears a roar. Mike is free falling for at least ten minutes. When out of no where he fall straight into water, where the woman is waiting on shore.

Woman: ( Get out of my water.)

Mike: ( Okay.)

Mike swims to shore climbs out of the looks at the woman and says.

Mike: ( Hello I am Mike and I seen what you did. I would just like to thank you.)

Woman: ( I am Lisa. How did you end up almost being lunch for that thing?)

Mike: ( Well for starters. I was running on what I can only think is the top part of this world. Then I fell through some hole in the ground ended up in that cage. Then you released me and here we are.)

Lisa: ( You was up top. What was it like? No one has ever been up top.)

Mike: ( Why not? What happened up there?)

Lisa goes on to explain that a ship from a far off world came to their planet. On the good will terms but they lied to them. Three days later after the left they came back with what they called gifts. But they was not gift they was what I seen all the creatures. That are running around is what they brought with them.

Mike: ( These. These aliens brought these creatures here.)

Lisa: ( Yes. We tried everything to stop them.)

Mike: ( Wow! You are the only person I have seen. Well besides the person well I guess a person. I seen up top screaming for me to run before he was eaten.)

Lisa: ( There are other people here. But they are few and far in between.)

Mike in disbelief sits down trying to figure out what to do next. Lisa sits down next to him they both watch as the water slowly ripples back and forth. Mike still trying to register everything he went through in the past few minutes. Knowing that this all has to be one messed up dream. Mike looks over at Lisa says to her.

Mike: ( Will you do me one favor.)

Lisa give him a strange look knowing she just rescued him wondering what else could he want politely says.

Lisa : ( Okay. What would you like me to do?)

Mike: ( The only thing I would like to ask of you is that you slap me.)

Lisa: ( Slap you. Why?)

Mike: ( I just wanna make sure I am awake.)

Lisa: ( Okay.)

Lisa gets up walks to the front of Mike draws back slaps Mike across the face. Mike falls over holding the side of his face. The echo of the slap bounces from one wall to another.

Mike : ( Ouch. You have one heck of a arm on you.)

Lisa: ( I know. But you wanted me to do it.)

Mike sits holding the side of his face when from deep in the cave the are in comes a deep roar. Fear runs through Mike as he looks in the direction of the roar. Lisa says

Lisa: ( Stay perfectly still. It will not see us.)

Mike: ( What wont?)

Lisa: ( You will see.)

Mike sits as calm as he can as this giant lizard like creature, slowly walks into the cave they are in. With its tongue flicking the air tasting it to see if there is any potential food. In the area slowly lurching forward moving its head back and forth.

Tasting as it goes looks in the direction of Mike and Lisa changing it direction. Coming over to them Mike looks over at Lisa.

Lisa giving this lizard a death stare Mike trying to figure out if he is suppose to.

Stay there like she said or run for his life. With this lizard walking to them at least two stories tall. With the length of two school buses drool falling from its mouth. Where two air craft carriers can fit in side by side. Mike watch’s as its drool hits the ground.

The lizards drool sizzling when it hits the ground. Mike knows he has to some how distract this thing. So they can escape he feels all along the ground, around him suddenly he feels a large rock. Mike grabs a hold of the rock the lizard is with in feet of them. He takes the rock throws it into the water making a hug splash.

The lizard stops turns it head starts to walk to the water. Slowly disappearing into the water Mike gives a sigh of relief. Looks over at Lisa while she is already looking at him. With a look of anger and disappointment as she asks.

Lisa: ( Why did you do that?)

Mike: ( Because I did not want to get eaten.)

Lisa: (You was not going to be eaten.)

Mike: ( How do you know that for sure.)

Lisa: ( Because it was a test.)

Mike: (A test! What kind of test is that?)

Lisa: ( Sit down let me explain.)

Mike sits down waiting for a explanation. Lisa explains that she does not believe that no one that is on this world. Is here by accident everyone has been brought here for a test. Only known to that particular person she feels that she was brought here. Because she lacked the courage that she has come to know here. Then she looks at Mike finally and say.

Lisa: ( That was my final test and you took it from me.)

Mike: (I am truly sorry. I had no idea.)

Lisa: (It is okay. I will get another chance. Why was you brought here?)

Mike : ( You may wanna sit down for this one.)

Lisa sits down waiting for Mike to explain. He begins pacing back and forth looks at Lisa. Begins to explain that his life was going to crap. So he decided to take a walk found himself in front of a library. Went in said he had a short conversation with the librarian. That he picked a book no sooner he got the book sat down he ended up here. But if he has some sort of test he does not know what it is.

Lisa gets up does not say a word just walking around talking to her self. Mike watches her not knowing what is going on. Lisa continues to walk back and forth talking to her self. When the lizard comes out of the water Lisa not paying any attention to what is going on.

Mike grabs a pebble tosses it at Lisa to get her to look. Lisa turns to see the lizard she just stands there looking into its face. Mike in disbelief at what he is seeing knows, that he has to stay out of it this time. So he sits on a big rock watching as it takes place. Worried for Lisa he is fighting the erg to do anything to distract the lizard.

The lizard walks right up to Lisa flicking its tongue at her. Lisa standing there not moving a muscle. With a stern look on her face as if he face was made of stone. This giant lizard looks dead at Lisa. Flicks it tongue a couple of more times turns and walks away. Lisa turns to Mike smiles and says.

Lisa: ( That is how it is done.)

Mike: ( How what is done?)

Lisa: ( I passed my last test. I will be leaving soon.)

Mike: ( How do you know?)

Lisa: ( Just watch. You will see.)

Mike and Lisa sit together in the dark of this can neither can help. But wonder when or if she will leave. Mike still not knowing what kind of test he has, Lisa still has not came up with anything to help him. Both sitting in complete silence in the dark a light. Begin to radiate from Lisa both in shock Lisa says.

Lisa: ( See I told you. It is all a test.)

Mike: ( Where are you going.)

Lisa: ( I am going home.)

Mike: ( Where is home?)

Lisa: ( I am going back home to earth.)

Mike: ( Look me up please when you get back.)

Lisa: ( Okay.)

As Lisa disappears Mike can not help but wonder if he will ever get out of here. Mike sits there Lisa disappeared he is sitting alone in the dark . Mike is starting to get scared so he begins to hum. A little then the roar comes from the back again with heavy foot steps. Mike remembers that giant from the area above him he really starts to worry.

Mike has no one hear to help him through this the heavy foot steps grow. Louder and louder he feels the vibration through the ground. Getting closer and closer Mike decides if he is going to die. He will go out humming his favorite tune. Mike begins humming louder and louder.

Soon the giant is standing right in front of as Mike is humming. The giant picks him up smiling opens it mouth really big Mike stops humming looks at the giant and says.

Mike: ( Well things can be worse.)

A light burst from Mike snaps him through the world back to the surface. Back to the Library where he wakes up. With the librarian standing in front of him asking.

Librarian: ( What did I tell you? Heck of a book isn’t it?)

Mike: ( Yes it is . I learned my lesson.)

Librarian: ( what lesson is that.)

Mike: ( Thing can always be worse.)

The librarian nods her head grabs the book puts it back. Mike thanks the Librarian leaves the library only to run into the woman. That he was on another world with they, start talking and laughing as they walk away.        

April 27, 2021 18:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.