10 comments

Fantasy Fiction Romance

Luna stood barefoot on the deserted beach boardwalk, her heart heavy with grief and longing. It was a quiet summer night, the air was warm, and the gentle lapping of the waves against the shore was the only sound breaking the silence. Above her, the full moon glowed brightly, casting an ethereal light upon the dark waters.

She had come to this place, her lover’s favorite spot, with a desperate plea in her heart. Luna believed in the ancient tales of the Goddess of the Sea, a deity worshiped in her village that was revered and respected. The Goddess was rumored to possess the power to grant miracles during the night of the full moon. With all her hope and faith, Luna wished to summon the Goddess and beg for her lover’s resurrection only days after hearing the news of his tragic passing at sea.

Taking a deep breath, Luna closed her eyes and extended her arms towards the moonlit sky. Her voice trembled as she began to chant the words the villagers’ had said would lure the Goddess out of hiding. The incantation was filled with love, sorrow, and a profound longing to reunite with her lost love.

As she repeated the words, the atmosphere around her seemed to shift. The air grew still, and a gentle breeze caressed her face. Luna’s heart quickened with a mix of anticipation and trepidation. Was the Goddess of the Sea near?

Suddenly, a shimmering light materialized in the distance, hovering just above the water. It danced and swirled, growing brighter and closer with each passing breath. Luna’s eyes widened in awe as the light coalesced into the form of a luminous woman, her gown a deep blue and flowing as if it were made of the ocean itself.

The Goddess of the Sea stood before Luna, her face serene and ageless. Her eyes reflected the wisdom of centuries, and her presence exuded a sense of an otherworldly air. Luna fell to her knees, overwhelmed by the raw power and majesty of the divinity before her.

“Mortal, why do you summon me?” The Goddess of the Sea spoke, her voice melodic and filled with a mix of compassion and curiosity,

Luna’s voice quivered as she spoke, her words filled with a raw yearning, “Great Goddess of the Sea, I beseech you to hear my plea. My beloved, my one true love, has perished at sea. I cannot bear the weight of this loss, and I beg of you, in your infinite power, to bring him back to me.”

The Goddess regarded Luna with a compassionate gaze. She reached out and place a hand on Luna’s trembling shoulder. “Mortal, I understand the depths of your pain, but the cycle of life and death is a delicate balance. To disturb it would have great consequences.”

Tears welled up in Luna’s eyes, but she refused to give up. “Please Goddess, I am willing to do anything. I cannot imagine a life without him. Grant me this one miracle and I promise to serve you in all ways that I can.”

The Goddess of the Sea sighed, her timeless eyes filled with both sadness and understanding. She gazed at Luna, and her voice carried a hint of regret. “Very well, mortal. I shall grant your wish, but under one condition. At the end of each day, he will feel the pull of the sea, of the death he once encountered, and be obligated to return. He will never spend more than a day out on land.”

Luna’s heart swells with a mix of gratitude and apprehension. She knew the price that came with the Goddess’s gift, but the prospect of having her beloved back, if only for the stretch of a day, was too enticing to resist. With a trembling voice, she accepted the condition.

“I accept, Great Goddess of the Sea. I understand the consequences, but I cannot bear to be without him any longer. Thank you for your mercy,” Luna whispered, tears streaming down her face.

The Goddess nodded solemnly, her expression still filled with placid compassion. “Very well. Your beloved shall return to you at sunrise each day, and at sunset, he must return to the sea. Cherish the time you have together, mortal, for it will be fleeting.”

With those words, the Goddess lifted her hand from Luna’s shoulder, and a radiant light enveloped the young woman. Luna felt a surge of energy course through her, filling her with newfound strength and determination. As the light faded, Luna found herself standing alone, the vastness of the night sky stretching above her.

Days turned into nights, and nights into days as Luna awaited her beloved’s return. Each sunrise, a wave would crash against the shore, and from its foamy embrace, her love would emerge. They would spend their precious hours together, basking in the warmth of their shared love, embracing the gift bestowed upon them.

Yet, as sunset approached, Luna’s heart would grow heavy and a bittersweet ache would settle within her. Her beloved would feel the call of the sea, the haunting pull of his past. With tears in their eyes, they would bid each other farewell, their hands slipping away as he returned to the watery depths of the ocean.

As time went on, it became too much for Luna to bear. Watching her beloved as he disappeared and waiting as he reappeared took a toll on them both. However, her beloved was the one who was suffering. With a heavy heart, Luna found herself back at the same boardwalk, on a night when her lover had once again returned to the sea. She gazed out at the murky water, her eyes fixed on the shimmering reflection of the moon upon the tranquil waters. The weight of her longing had become unbearable, and her heart yearned for a way to be eternally tied with her beloved.

With a deep breath, she summoned the Goddess of the Sea once again. “Great Goddess of the Sea,” Luna called out, her voice filled with a mix of desperation and determination, “is there no other way for us to be together? I would give anything, sacrifice anything, to be with my love for all eternity.”

The Goddess of the Sea rose from the ocean, her body materializing from the water with a shimmery glow of blue and white. Her eyes were alight with a serene understanding. She listened attentively to Luna’s plea and nodded thoughtfully.

“Mortal, your devotion is truly remarkable, and I empathize with your longing. There is a way but it comes with great consequences and a sacrifice beyond measure.”

Luna’s heart pounded with both anticipation and trepidation. She knew that such a decision would have far-reaching implications, but the allure of eternal unity with her beloved shadowed any doubts she might have had.

“What must I do?” Luna asked, her voice steady despite the whirlwind of emotions within her.

The Goddess of the Sea reached out and gently cupped Luna’s face, her touch carrying the weight of ancient wisdom. “To be forever intertwined with your love, you must be willing to relinquish your mortal body and ascend to the heavens, becoming one with the moon itself. For that is the only way to become eternally bound to the sea, and by extension, your love.”

Luna’s eyes widened in awe and wonder at the magnitude of the offer. To become the moon, to exist eternally in the heavens, was a destiny she had never fathomed. But the prospect of being united with her beloved eclipsed any hesitations.

“I accept, Great Goddess of the Sea,” Luna declared, her voice unwavering. “Grant me the transformation, and I shall embrace my new role with utmost reverence.”

The Goddess of the Sea nodded once, her expression a mix of admiration and respect. She extended her arms towards the heavens, and a brilliant, silvery light enveloped Luna. The mortal realm slipped away as her body dissolved into stardust, merging seamlessly with the moon’s radiant glow.

Luna’s essence merged with the moon, her mortal form transforming into a celestial entity. She felt a profound sense of liberation as she became one with the vastness of the night sky, her being now intertwined with the motions of the world as it turned and spun. 

As time passed Luna’s love for her beloved remained steadfast. Though they could no longer touch or speak as they once had, their connection transcended physicality. The ebb and flow of the tides, guided by the pull of the moon, mirrored the eternal bond she shared with her love. Their souls were intertwined in a dance of eternal love, resonating through the fabric of existence itself for all of eternity.

May 22, 2023 16:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

Graham Kinross
01:23 May 29, 2023

This is sweet. The star crossed lovers becoming immortal instead of committing suicide like Romeo and Juliet is a far better finish. It reminds me of the Eastern legend of the Sky god’s daughter falling in love with someone the god didn’t approve of so he sent them to opposite ends of the sky and they could only meet once a year. Just shows that men back then were overbearing, hopefully less so now.

Reply

Abigail Selinger
14:12 May 29, 2023

Thank you!! :) I'll have to look into that legend it sounds super interesting!

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:18 May 29, 2023

When I try to find it online all I get is stuff about Star Wars now…

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jasey Lovegood
00:30 Jun 03, 2023

I really liked the clever little hint about the ending because the woman's name was Luna. The descriptions were also really lovely. Great work, Abigail! Jasey

Reply

Abigail Selinger
17:35 Jun 03, 2023

Thank you! :)

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
00:44 Jun 04, 2023

You're welcome <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Anna W
18:53 May 31, 2023

This was so beautifully written! The love, tragedy, despair, longing, and the very human desire to win over death. I really enjoyed reading this!

Reply

Abigail Selinger
23:04 May 31, 2023

Aww thank you! I’m glad you enjoyed it! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J. D. Lair
21:47 May 28, 2023

This was such a beautiful story. Well done!

Reply

Abigail Selinger
14:12 May 29, 2023

Thank you! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.