8 comments

Fantasy Fiction Suspense

I’d only pierced the necks of a few mortals in almost two decades of being a vampire. I should be craving it, yearning for it, even killing for it. Human blood to vampires is the equivalence as gold is to humans. Yet, the rich aroma of human blood didn’t quench my thirst. In fact, it curled my stomach.


I feed on the blood of pigs. You’re feeling sorry for those pigs, but nonetheless, I have to eat or I will die. I’m not quite sure if drinking pig blood is against the law as a vampire, so I stick to myself and hunt alone.


Even the broiling rays from the sun had no effect on my pale and agile body. I was a different type of vampire–a new breed. I'm one of a kind, but I have zero desire to share this with any of the other vampires from my coven. Hell, I have no desire to share it with any of the vampire society. What would the Elders do to a vampire that doesn’t drink the blood of humans? I sure as hell never wanted to find out that’s for sure.


The number one rule of the vampire society is to not discuss it with any mortal for any reason. Of course there has been plenty of speculation and rumors about how the dead walk amongst humans. There hasn’t actually been any concrete evidence that any of us actually exist though.


I had a promising future until a vampire devoured me for dinner. I attended a prestigious university as a med student on my way to becoming a doctor. I was only twenty-four at the time, a brilliant and gorgeous woman. Now I’m an almost two hundred and forty year old gloomy and distraught vampire.


Tonight begins the Lorcan Coven Ritual, and it only happens once each century. This Ritual signifies the beginning of voting in a new leader for each coven. The Council casts their recommendations on who they think the next leaders should be. The recommendations are then passed to the Elders. They then hand them off to all coven leaders inside of an envelope.


Qualifying leaders have to complete a test that consists of hunting and feeding on a mortal. Elders are the highest vampires with the power of sight. They have the ability to probe any vampire at any time using only their minds, and we must answer to them.

#


Dong. The ear-splitting bell from the dungeon tower was a reminder that the ritual would soon begin. I sauntered into the foyer, tugging at the wide pair of obsidian doors that led into the ritual room. Faded ominous symbols that once hid in the dark shimmered as torches strung the walls.


Pale-skinned carnivorous vampires gazed in my direction as the doors slammed shut behind me. I hurried my eyes to the small pebbles that lie on the ground to avoid their maniacal and emotionless red eyes. The entire Lorcan Coven had attended and we were all awaiting the arrival of our leader, Alaric.


Loud chants echoed his name throughout the shallow walls. Giddy-filled claps pierced my ears as the chants turned into deafening howls. I glanced over as Alaric trudged to the stage. He entertained the crowd with a casual wave and a skittish smile. Lazarus, right hand vampire to Alaric, followed his master’s every move. Lazarus was a smug and arrogant fool. He did what Alaric asked of him and didn’t ask any questions.


“Good evening! Welcome to our Lorcan Coven Ritual where one mighty vampire will earn the title as our new coven leader!” Alaric exclaimed in a gravelly tone as the crowd cheered.


Being a loner and keeping to myself is a great idea when trying to stay off the Council’s and the Elder’s radars. Which is exactly what I had done for so many years. It would be inconceivable to appoint me as the leader of Lorcan Coven. I am not a vicious monster who feeds upon human flesh like a mouth-watering mania.


Lazarus fished out an envelope from the inside of his dingy leather jacket and handed it to Alaric. He grasped it, waved it around and shouted, “Here it is! The moment we’ve all been waiting for! Elected leaders will have four hours to complete their test. Forfeiting is not an option.” He opened the envelope and pulled out a small piece of paper.


Razor-sharp fangs peered through the mouths of vampires as their howls bled into my ears. It caused a drilling migraine. Is that normal for vampires? Then again, I’m not like the rest of them.


“Congratulations Lazarus and Luna! You both have four hours to complete the test. This includes hurrying back here and ringing that bell. Good luck!” Alaric shook our hands as I nervously examined the makeshift rope that stood before me. It would let out a dong and alert the entire coven that a new leader was present. Great Luna. Just great. What was I going to do now?


#


As a predator does, I lurked in the shadows hunting my prey. I was nearly opaque due to the forest of overgrown trees and the pitch black sky. I scoured the area around me. The scent of human blood penetrated my nostrils causing them to flare in disgust. The sound of keys jingling grew closer and then I spotted a mortal walking to a parking lot. He had fair skin and wavy hair that matched his brown auburn eyes. A tattoo covered his left forearm, but a stack of books he held onto prevented me from knowing what the tattoo was.


He turned his key into the door in hopes of unlocking it. I pounced on him from behind causing his keys and his books to stumble onto the ground. I jumped off of him as he kneeled down to grab his belongings. Instead he turned around and gawked at me, but it wasn’t terror. His gaze was more of a disbelief that I even existed, and then something strange happened. Instead of running, he held out his hand to me.


The end


September 20, 2022 22:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Mask Name
20:09 Sep 29, 2022

Oh, this is great! Such a refreshing take on vampires. Luna is a fantastic character, and I love her obvious distraught. I'm very intrigued with the ending, and cannot wait to see more. Its fast-paced, but it still flows very well.

Reply

Denaee Baguss
03:16 Sep 30, 2022

Thank you! I really appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
05:42 Sep 28, 2022

This is an interesting take on vampires. I look forward to reading the next instalment. Your descriptions are really good. The story moves quickly and the small chunks made it easy to read.

Reply

Denaee Baguss
12:50 Sep 28, 2022

Thank you, I really appreciate the feedback! I didn’t know which direction to take Luna into, but I knew that I was fed up on seeing the same vampire story lines, so I thought about what and how I could change the original vampire story from vampire bites human and then the human changes. I didn’t want that, haha. I look forward to writing the next installment just as much as you look forward to reading it! I didn’t really know it would be another part until the end!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J.M. De Jong
00:21 Sep 21, 2022

Hi, Denaee! I usually don't like anything with vampires, but I'm liking Luna so far, and how she is very different from the others. It's refreshing, haha. This sentence stood out to me, "I hurried my eyes to the small pebbles that lie on the ground to avoid their maniacal and emotionless wine red eyes." Nice work on the description! I look forward to reading the next part :)

Reply

Denaee Baguss
16:37 Sep 21, 2022

Thank you, I really appreciate the feedback! I am sort of new at writing, but I am trying my best! haha. I'm not too fond of vampire stories myself to be honest, but I had this idea and I had to run with it! I am very interested in writing about what will happen to Luna next! :)

Reply

J.M. De Jong
17:29 Sep 21, 2022

Sure thing! And I wouldn't have guessed that you're fairly new at it! You have a good technique already, and it will only improve with time and experience :) And haha, I know how that is when an idea burdens your mind and you just have to write it down. I'll be waiting for the next part ;)

Reply

Denaee Baguss
12:37 Sep 22, 2022

(:

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.