The Treasure of Tuatha Dé Danann

Submitted into Contest #67 in response to: Write about a pirate captain obsessed with finding a mythical treasure.... view prompt

1 comment

Adventure Drama Speculative

The galley chief watched as the men pulled the bloated, blue floater aboard their ship. The cook was sharpening his knife as the unthinkable happened. The man that was obviously dead, came back to life. And for a couple seconds the other men on the frigate could only shrug towards the cook before he put down his knife and went back to the kitchen.

The drowned man went by the name Thomas, but the men started to call him ”Blue,” and the name stuck. Blue started off as a deckhand. It wasn’t long before his knowledge of everything became apparent. He made swabbing the deck more efficient. Blue showed the gunner how to add degrees and how to lead a target. He told the first mate how to maintain a direction in a storm. This one didn’t go over very well with the Captain, and the next day, the first mate was no longer on board.

“Blue!” The captain shouted and the men immediately opened a path directly between Blue and the Captain. “So, ya tink ya smart eh?”

“Well, I thought, well…”

“Dat where ya be rung!” The Captain shouted at him. “Ya knows how ta choot, eh Bluey?”

“I, ah, I don’t, I don’t want to answer that.”

“Peggy, gib em ya gun!” And just that fast the second mate, now apparently the first mate, placed a pistol in Blue’s hand. “Imma make it ta tree, den imma gon ta kill ya.”

“I think this isn’t the best thing.”

“One!”

“It was just a misunderstanding.” Blue’s pistol is cocked by the one called Peggy.

“Two!”

Blue stood with the pistol pointing towards the Captain. He quickly turned sideways and flickered his left hand away from the rest of his body.

“Tree!” and a cloud of smoke came out of the pistol with a powerful boom. A split second later a stream of blood sprayed on Peggy who was two paces away from Blue. Then from Blue’s gun came a delayed pop of its own. The slug from Blue’s pistol hit the Captain on the left side of his neck. Crimson flowed from his mouth and he let out a little chuckle that soon was gargled up with his blood. Captain went to his knees and then slammed onto his face. Not another movement came from his body.

When the puff of smoke dissipated, Blue was standing there with the gun still in his hand. His ring finger of his left hand was no longer between his middle and pinky. There was a pulsing of blood that was still hitting Peggy.

The ship’s cook made his way over to Blue and pulled out his pistol and pulled the hammer back. With his other hand, the cook grabbed Blue’s left wrist and placed the barrel of his pistol into the space that was recently created. He pointed the gun up into the sky and pulled the trigger. Blue let out a muffled scream.

“I’m also the ship’s doctor,” the cook said while looking blue in the eyes. “My name is Barley. And you might just be our new captain.”

“Captain Blue!” One man shouted from the bow of the ship.

“Captain Blue!” All the other men started chanting.

“What do ya say Cap’n?” Peggy said while placing a damp, warm hat upon Blue’s head.

“Let’s clean this place up! We have some things to get before we’re off for the greatest treasure.”

“Gold?” Peggy asked.

“Oh, this is so much better than gold.” Blue smiled at him and gave a nod. “But first, Monserrat.”

“Make heading, Monserrat!” Peggy yelled and the men ran to their posts and started to change direction for the island of Monserrat.

While on the way to Monserrat, Blue went into the Captain’s quarters and started going through his newly acquired items. He found several gold coins and placed them in his pocket. If they made it to Monserrat in time, he might be able to get one of the most important items for their trip.

“Cap’n, da men are getting ready for the oolagee for da forma cap’n.” Peggy said through the door.

“The cook doesn’t want him?” Blue asked.

“Heben’s no! Dat’s just for the none friends.”

“Okay then, I’ll be right out.” Blue said and got a jacket that was in the chamber and put it over his shoulders.

When he made it back into the sunlight, Blue saw the previous captain of the ship being held by four mates and wrapped in a sack and an old shirt. Blue then noticed one of the men holding the captain was wearing a shirt that looked very familiar except for the large red stain that covered the front. Peggy hobbled up with a large jug in his hand and took a sip. Then he proceeded to pour the entire contents onto the corpse. Once again Peggy drew his pistol and pointed it directly at the Captain’s crotch.

“I’m gonna miss you my friend,” and Peggy pulled the trigger causing the sparks to catch the carcass on fire, and part of the deck. The four men gave a thrust and the fireball made its way into the sea. Then a few other crew members threw buckets of mop water and put out the deck fire.

When they finally made it to Monserrat, Blue was excited to get moving. He only wanted a few of the men to go with him, but some of the men still had trust issues and wanted to go along. Other crew members went to the dirtiest part of the town with a few silver that they had.

Captain Blue, Peggy, Doctor Barney, and three other crew members went through the town and continued down a path that no one would have seen if they didn’t know it was there. They walked for almost an hour when they made it to the location that Blue was so anxious to see. He told them all to wait there and he would go in and negotiate a deal. He took a few steps towards a little shack in the woods. When he turned around, the men were still right behind him.

“Stay here,” he told them again, and blue turned around and faced them as he walked most of the way to the shack. He didn’t knock and just went in. A minute later, he walked out with what looked like a large cannonball in his arms. He handed it to Barney who seemed to have no problem holding it.

“Wha is dat?” one of the men asked.

“Dat is a pot.” Barney answered with anger in his eyes.

“No,” said Blue, “it is a cauldron.”

“A empty pot, at dat.” Barney replied.

“Are you sure?” Blues asked.

“Imma Cook an I know a empty pot.”

“Check again,” Blue said excitedly as he touched it ever so briefly with his eyes shut.

When Barney took the lid off the pot, there was a large chicken baked inside. He was speechless.

“Now we need one more thing, and then we can be off.” Blue was very excited.

They went to the town by the port and towards the house of the Governor. The men had never met the Governor, but the rumors were that he kept the island safe and didn’t even make himself seen. He took charge of the island forty years prior, and his reputation kept everyone safe since. If there was a problem, the perpetrator of the crime was quickly apprehended and usually never seen again.

This time as Blue started walking directly towards the front door, the men this time decided to stand in the shadows. When Blue turned around at the porch, the men were nowhere to be seen. He crept up to the door and slowly slipped inside. Five minutes later, Blue reappeared from the back of the mansion. He had nothing in his hands, but he did walk fast to the shadows where his men were waiting.

“We need to be gone before the sun rises.” Blue said quickly and quietly to his men as he walked hastily towards the ship.

They returned to the ship as a group of sailors also made their way to the ship. Some of the men had jugs of rum, some did not. None of them had any money left. And when the last stray dog made it back to the ship, they all took their places and pulled the boat out to sea.

Once again Peggy and Blue stood beside one another at the helm. “Where to now Captain?”

“Head northeast toward England. Have one of the men hold the helm for a while. And find Peggy and you two meet me in my quarters.” Blue smiled at Peggy and Peggy blushed.

“Aye, aye, Cap’n,” and Peggy hurried off.

Once the three were in the cabin. Blue began to tell the other trusted men about his plan. And they both looked at him like he was crazy. That was until he opened his coat and showed them something they had never seen before. Blue reached down and pulled out a sword. As he removed it from its sheath, it began to glow with a golden flame that stayed ablaze until he returned it to its sheath.

“There is one more item in which we must acquire, and it cannot be found by anyone.”

Peggy started to shake his head again and anger flickered in his eyes. But then Blue continued.

“Somewhere between Monserrat and England is a treasure so grand, that one piece of it can change history as we know it. And this sword will lead us to it.”

“And when it does and it points at the bodum of da sea, who ya dhink will be divin in for dat den?” Barney chimed in with a very valid point.

“I will, of course.” Blue responded with complete faith that he will accomplish his task.

A week after they left the safety of the port, they finally received word from Blue that they were almost there. Peggy estimated their location to be directly in the middle of nowhere. Captain stood behind the woman affixed to the front of the ship and kept his sword pointed directly in front of them. Then it pulled him slightly to the right.

“Lower the sails.” Blue yelled to the men and in seconds the ship came to almost a complete stop. He pointed the sword again before putting it away and began to remove his clothes. He removed everything except for the belt that held the sword. “On my command, release the aft anchor.” Then Blue climbed over the railing and down the chain that held the anchor. “Release it!” And they did.

Peggy watched with both excitement and horror as the Captain disappeared under the water. His eyes stayed fixed to the dark shimmer where he last saw the chain of the anchor slip under. His eyes began adding salt to the ocean. After ten minutes, he was all out of tears and was finally able to break sight with the water. He began to give hand signals to some of the men to start raising the sails, when the man in the crow’s nest yelled down.

“He’s over the port side!” The man said while pointing in that direction.

Peggy and Barney both darted for the other side of the ship. One of the men gathered rope and prepared to throw it. Once he got close enough, the man threw him a line and they began to pull him up. In his one free hand, was a golden spear. On his face was a grand smile.

It took a few minutes for Peggy to get Blue dressed, but once he was back in his uniform. He smiled and thanked Peggy. “One more to go.” Blue said weakly and then faded off to sleep.

He slept for a couple days and would wake long enough for Barney to bring him the caldron with what seemed to be a never ending supply of various foods. Once he felt strong enough to make address the crew, Blue took his place at the helm.

“We have everything we need, except the one that would grant us unlimited power and control. Once we make it to the Britain, we will find and unite the treasures that will grant us everything we want. Nothing will stand in our way. We will own not only the sea, but the land as well, and everyone will address us as Lords.” Blue’s words had the men respond with cheers. It would only be a few more days until he made it to the last port and all would be right in the world.

They made their way to the Port of Brighton and from there it was a three day journey to London. Each person that appeared ready to intercede with the journey was shown the flaming sword and they immediately backed off, without a word.   Once they made it to the outskirts of London, Blue told them what they were going to do. They had to get to the royal crown, as the central gem was the final treasure that would free all that were in England’s grasp. And they were going to walk right into the palace and take it.

Blue pulled the sword out and all that saw it would back away. He and the men walked directly into the castle. They walked up to the main room where the King was still sitting. And it was then that Blue made his final blow. He went to his knee and made a submissive gesture to the King. At once, two hundred guards came and slaughtered any of the crew that pulled a sword or pistol. Those that didn’t were shackled and placed face down beside Blue as he rose. They cursed him for a few seconds before the guards gave a sharp kick to the faces of the ones who sere loudest. Soon they all were silent.

“As promised. This may be the last of them, but I will follow the request of the crown and return to sea to find more of these pirates.”

“Lying traitorous Bastard!” Barney yelled for a brief second before getting a boot to the side of his head.

“I did not ever lie. Everything I said was true, but he who holds that jewel in that crown, controls all others. And if anyone were able to get it, they would be in complete control.” It just is not meant for any of us.”

“Return the sword to the ocean, the pot to the witch, and give your father his sword back. Go and search for more criminals on the sea.”

“Yes your eminence.” And with that Blue left the captain hat with Peggy, who once again cried.

November 14, 2020 04:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Nappy Peak
23:28 Dec 23, 2020

Can see this as a background story to flesh out a character in a bigger story or apart of a game. You did technically write about a pirate obsesesd with treasure, even if he died in the first few paragraphs.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.