6 comments

Thriller Suspense Fiction

"Harry"....

Grandma Michael always calls Harry when his parents take their foot to the courtyard to go for work. Its Harry's duty to look after his grandma when his parents are away for work.

"Harry", coughed Grandma Michael because she raised too much voice which is not good for her throat.

Harry who was opening his new brand mobile phone's box got irritated and replied in a loud displeasing voice "coming Nanny".

Harry opened his room's door and made his way to his Nanny's room which was opposite to his room.

"Why can't she just sit there and continue knitting?" murmured Harry when he opened his Nanny's room.

Nanny who was relieved when she saw her grandchild's face smiled at him and said "Oh! Dear Harry, I am so relieved. When people get older they don't have any strength to face anything. I am afraid to sit alone, you know that, don't you?"

"Yes, Nanny. I know." said Harry without taking his eyes off from his mobile phone's box.

"What's it Harry?"

"Oh, its my new phone. Papa gave it to me as my birthday gift."

"Is that really necessary at this age?''

"I am 16 years old. Children of my age depends their entire life on this. This made our ...not ours the entire humankind's life easier."

"Ok" said Nanny with a disappointed voice.

What's wrong with my age? I am 16 years old and I can do things on my own. Why is she still treating me like a new born baby? Oh! I am so sorry. I forgot to introduce myself. I am Harry. I am living with my parents and my Nanny who is so old and fragile...FYI her tongue is still so strong. Anyway, I was busy trying to open my new phone's box. I got a phone on my 16th birthday from my father. All my friends got phones. I am so happy and this is the best gift that I ever got.

"Harry, tell me my boy what you think of the world?"

"Its cool". Why is she always talking?

" Cool? That's ..uh.. disappointing. I thought you will say something optimistic."

"Nanny.. I am busy. I can't open this box."

"Whatever".

Why is this box stuck? Oh gosh! I can't open this box. Its like this box doesn't want to be opened. Come on, Harry, you got this. Oh! Finally!!

"Oh my God! Its i-phone. Nanny did you see this?

"Why it is so small?"

"i-phone's are like that. Its so costly. Let me switch on this and then let's take a phone with my brand new i-phone. I can't wait to show this to my friends."

I switched on my phone. Oh God! I love this. I instantly downloaded every apps that I needed. I took a selfie with my Nanny and took several photos of every nook and corner of my house. When my parents came home I took their photos and my gallery is full of a zillion photos. I plugged in my phone before I went to bed. That night, I dreamt of showing friends my phone and telling them its specialities and they all looking me with their eyes wide opened.

The next day morning I ate my breakfast, took a quick shower and packed my bag. When I plugged out my phone it was showing 17%. What the hell? I am damn sure that I switched on the switch. How could this happen? Ugh... worst day ever. I left my phone in home and made sure that I switched on the switch now and went to school. I didn't tell my friends that I got a phone because that may ruin the surprise. So I decided to keep it from them until I show my phone. I didn't really pay any attention to my classes. All I did was think about my phone. It was like its my new crush. All I wanted was to go home and feel my phone in my hands. Huh!

When I reached home, I threw away my backpack and went upstairs to my room. I only need to babysit my Nanny when I have holidays. During the school days there will be a part time nurse to do it. I opened my room and when I say phone on which I put a red metallic phone case and its look heavenly was on my bedside table laying there. I couldn't take my eyes off it. I know it sounds crazy, but its like I don't know what to say. My heart is filled with joy. I disconnected thee charger and unlocked my phone. I played games, watched movies and shared my new photos on every social media sites and that's it. I was thrilled. When my mom came into my room and said that she is going for shopping and take care of Nanny, I was caressing my phone. She looked bewildered by seeing that. I was embarrassed like my mom caught me doing something awful.

"Oh no! That was awful."

"Who's there? Is anybody here?" asked me. But no reply came in. I was sure that someone said so. I thought may be its nothing.

I went to Nanny's room and sat there hearing new Taylor Swift's song.

"Hey, she is asking you. Take that headphone off from your s*it head. You are using me too much. Its not good for my health."

"Who is that?" I asked perplexingly.

"Its me Harry. Can you please open the windows for me? Its so hot in here."

"Nanny? Did you call me a s*it head?"

"What are you talking about? No, I didn't call you that. What's wrong with you?" asked Nanny. I can hear her heart beating faster.

"Um...nothing." Is it?

The next day morning, when I took my phone for school it was again like yesterday. I was damn sure that I switched on the switch.

What the hell is happening?

"I don't want to come with you."

"Who is that? I know that somebody is here. Stop messing with me. Where are you?" I asked by looking around.

"You are holding me in your hands. Don't hold me like that. I can't breathe."

I looked at my hands. I was shocked.

"Phone? Oh God! I am being paranoid."

"I thought I was being paranoid when I found out that you can hear me talking. It never happened before."

"You are a non living thing. How can you talk. You are not supposed to be alive."

"Ugh! Screw that. Who told you that we are non living things. You guys are using us for your selfish things. Um.. actually, you are using us too much. That's why became useless before our living period ends. You call that guarantee period. But for us that's our estimated living period. Why are you looking at me like that. Some lunatic scientists says that we are not supposed to be alive. How's that fair?"

"OMG! This is not happening." I said and started to shake my head and body. I went to my bathroom and splashed some cold water onto my face. I stepped into my room slowly like a thief.

"I am still here. Oh! and before you go can you put me in the bed, because this table is not smooth. Where did you buy this?"

"Holy s*it". I took my bag and ran away from my room.

When I reached home, I saw my mother washing her face in the kitchen. When she saw my face, she said that "Harry, what happened to you? Your teacher called me and said that you are acting paranoid. You said something like phone are living things and they can speak. Are you alright?"

I wanted to tell her everything. But I know that she won't believe me and I said "Oh! That was just a prank. Its nothing." I said it by forcing a fake smile.

I went to upstairs and stood in front of my rooms door unsure about whether to open the door or not. I mustered all the courage I had got and opened the door. I saw my phone laying on my bed.

"How the hell did you get there?"

"It was not that easy. When your mother came here I forced myself to the end of the that table and when she was trying to make your bed she accidentally touched me and I fell down and she picked me up and put me here. Can you massage me because my back hurts."

"So this is real. You can talk? Oh my God! Nobody is going to believe me. "

"You are not telling anybody about this. Before you use me, I have certain conditions. Condition No.1 always put me on this bed when you are not using me. Condition No.2 Don't use me more than 7 hours. Condition No.3 Don't forget feed me , I mean charge me. Condition No.4 Don't give me to anyone and I don't like people seeing me and being jealous. Am I clear?"

"Yes. But, I am not going to agree any of this conditions."

"Why not?"

"Why would I do so?"

"So that you can use me for a long period."

"I don't want to use the same phone for my entire life."

"If you don't agree my conditions, there will be consequences."

"Like what?"

"I have strength and talents that are beyond your imagination."

"Of course, you have. But they are useless unless I use that. Now shut your mouth because I want to watch my Netflix series peacefully. And F.Y.I your voice is disgusting."

The following night when I was going to bed, I heard someone screaming. It was from downstairs. I ran to there and saw my father holding his bleeding hand.

"What happened?"

"Why did you put your phone on my office table and didn't tell me its case is broken and it is sharp?" asked my father angrily.

"It isn't broken?" I said and took my phone and I saw it is broken.

But how did this happen?"

"Take that thing away from me."

"Honey, calm down. Its just a small cut." said my mom.

"Then why it hurts like hell?" asked my father trying to control his emotions.

I took my phone, went upstairs and locked my room.

"Why did you do it?"

"I told you that there will be consequences."

"So you tried to kill my father?"

"I just tried to warn you."

"You little piece of s*it. How dare you?"

"How dare me? How dare you to challenge me?"

I switched off my phone and waited. It worked. Thank God.

I was finishing my breakfast when my father asked me "Was there someone with you yesterday in your room?"

"What are you talking about?"

"We heard you shouting to someone."

''Oh! That was Danny, my friend. He forgot to return my maths notebook yesterday." I said without looking at him.

"Son" said mom by touching my hands. We were there. We saw you shouting to no one through the door. It wasn't closed. Are you alright?"

"I am. Why are you asking me this again?"

"You know you can talk to us?" said my mom.

"Come on baby, tell us. What's the problem?"

"You won't believe me."

"We do. Come on" said my father.

I told them everything without missing any detail. I saw they exchanging bewildered looks. What happened next was they took me to a creepy looking, bald psychiatrist. He asked so many questions. When I told him the truth he said that "interesting".

"I am telling the truth" I said impatiently. Believe me. I am telling you the truth you bald headed.

"Can you prove it?" he asked me.

"Maybe." I said unsurely.

"Ok. I am giving you your phone. Can you talk to it?" he asked by giving me my phone back.

I switched on the phone.

"Oh! Hello there. Where is this place? I told you that I don't like introducing me to anybody. Why are we with this creepy dude?"

"Did you hear that?" I asked the doctor with a little ray of hope in my mind.

"Hear what?"

"He called you a creepy dude."

"Who? The phone?" asked the doctor a little offended.

"Yes." He didn't hear it? Why does I can only hear it? Am I really being paranoid? Am I mad?

He gestured my parents to come in.

"Look, did you guys hear that? It is communicating with me. When I didn't agree its condition he tried to just warn me by hurting you."

"Harry, what happened to you? asked my mom tearfully.

"Doctor, what happened to our son?" asked my father.

"I don't really know. This age is really complicated. Their emotions, attitudes, likes and dislikes everything change tremendously."

"Can this be cured?" asked my mom.

"Cured? I am not mad or anything. I am telling the truth. Please believe me. Why are you doing this to me, huh? What have I done to you? I asked the phone by taking it to my hands and I tightened my grip.

"You are coking me. Oh no! I can't breathe" said the phone trying to breathe.

"Did you hear that? He said he can't breathe. I am choking him. So if I tighten my grip further it will kill him, right? I asked finally feeling somewhat relieved.

"Its just a machine not a human being. It is lifeless Harry." said my mom.

"No, its not." I said offended.

"Harry, Harry" the doctor took my phone and said that "I am going to keep this here and I will give it to you when you come next time, ok?"

"Oh, Thanks , you creepy dude. I am going to hunt you and your family down and slit your throats one by one" said the phone.

That's it. I can't control this anymore. I tried to grab the phone from the doctor's hand. But he didn't give it to me. So I have to punch him on his face. I saw his nose bleeding when the securities tried to control me. I heard the phone laughing. It made me even crazier. I shouted, screamed and did all the things that a lunatic do. They took me to a dark room filled with lots of creepiness and locked my arms and legs and attached something on my head and put something into my mouth. They switched on something and the next thing I knew was my heads are burning, tingling and what not.

I opened my eyes and felt sweats dripping from my forehead. I wiped it and took some deep breaths. It was a dream. I heard the clock ticking . It was 12'O clock. Its my birthday. My parents burst opened the door and said happy birthday.

"Happy Birthday Harry" said my parents by kissing on my cheeks.

"Thank you." I said.

"Look, what I got for you!" said my father and gave me his birthday present.

"Thanks papa." I said and opened the present. I tried to open the box, but I couldn't. After several tries, I opened it and it was an i-phone with a red metallic phone case. I was shocked.

"What happened?" asked my mom.

"Nothing" and I switched on the phone.

"Hi, there. Oh no! I don't like so many people staring at me."

"Did you hear that?" I asked.

"Hear what" asked my parents.

"Never mind" I said. What the hell? So this is real? But how it could be? What's happening to me? AM I PSYCHIC?

February 22, 2021 11:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

LOL!!! I loved this story!!! One thing, maybe try adding a few descriptions, changing your wording so it engages the reader and perhaps you can make up a few other names that your character call his nanny or what the nanny calls Harry. You could use terms of endearment, I think that how you spell it. That's when you have name-calling, a loving way of calling someone something. For example, love, sweet pea and all that. But great job anyways!!! Keep working hard, know that you are amazing no matter what and keeeeep writing!!! Happy Writin...

Reply

07:13 Apr 14, 2021

Will do. Thanks for your inspiring words :)

Reply

You're welcome!

Reply

Hey, it's kinda selfish of me to ask this, but can you read my story I posted a couple of minutes ago???? Thanks!!! Happy Writing!!! SS

Reply

08:42 Apr 16, 2021

Definitely..

Reply

Aww! Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.