Contest #116 winner 🏆

240 comments

Funny Fiction Contemporary

First and foremost, I just need to assert what was right and what was wrong. I think, before you can apologize for things you’ve done, you need to really isolate and evaluate exactly what you did wrong, and it’s very rare that you, uh, you know, haven’t done anything right in the midst of all you did wrong. So, I would like to assert that, yes, I made mistakes. I made many mistakes. I hurt people. Well, not people, but, you know, living things. I hurt living things and I hurt them by damaging their property and terrorizing them, and for that, I am very sorry, and I stand here, humbly, in front of you today, with my tail between my legs--literally--to say that I do apologize for the wrong I’ve done. Not for the right I’ve done, obviously, because I don’t need to apologize for what I’ve done right, and I have done some things right, but I don’t need to apologize for those things. Just the wrong things.

Uh, but, uh, yeah, the, yeah, the, um--

The straw.

I apologize for the straw. Why you would build a house out of straw in the first place is a mystery to me, but--That’s not my, uh--That’s not the point. The point is, one of you wanted to build a house of straw, and I destroyed that house. I blew it down. Not that it takes much to blow down something made out of straw. A strong wind could have blown it down. A gust. A breeze. You built the house fairly close to the ocean, so I expect there would have been a lot of sea wind coming off the coast, and that leads me to think your house wasn’t long for this world anyway, but sure, yes, I was the one who blew it down, and I have to own that, and so I do. I own it. I own it and I apologize for it. I blew down the house and I was going to eat you, but you ran away. I don’t think I should have to apologize for wanting to eat you, because that’s, you know, my nature, but I get how my nature and your existence don’t jive, and I believe we should all be able to live together peacefully in this world, but I would like to remind you that eating, you know, kale, isn’t really an option for me, and, uh, you know, attempted murder isn’t murder. It’s different. That’s why they have a different sentence for it when you get convicted of it in court. When you do get convicted. Which isn’t often, because it’s so hard to prove. I mean, it’s almost impossible to prove someone’s intent, but, sure, I did attempt something, and for that, I am sorry, because that’s wrong and so is blowing down a flimsy house that was going to come down at any moment anyway because somebody didn’t want to take the time to build their home properly with decent materials.

So. I’m sorry for all that.

Um.

In regards to the sticks, I would like to say that I maintain sticks are only slightly harder to blow down than straw, but there was, yes, an intent there, to blow the house down. And to eat the owner of the house. And to maybe use the sticks to start a fire that I would then roast the owner of the house over while lathering said owner in barbecue sauce. Yes, all of that is true, and none of it is right, and I apologize for all of it. I will say that because I couldn’t catch the owner of the house, nothing happened other than destruction of a fire hazard, but nevertheless, there was destruction. There was trauma. There was hurt. And I have to understand that and make space for it moving forward. That I brought about and manifested hurt in the lives of swine. A fire could have hurt many more people. Not a nice fire that you can control while you cook your dinner, but a real fire that could start at any moment if some pig decided to light a candle in the middle of his twig dwelling, but it’s not about what might have happened, it’s about what did happen, and what happened was I blew the house down. I huffed. I puffed. I got a little winded. I huffed and puffed some more. Down went the house. I own that. I didn’t eat the pig because he ran away, because somehow pigs are terrible at building houses, but they are fantastic at running away from wolves, so that’s fine, he ran, I chased. And, uh, then…

Then I hit a wall.

A brick wall.

We all have to hit that brick wall, don’t we? Finally found a house I couldn’t blow down. But you know what I could blow down?

Myself.

And that’s what I did.

I stood there and with all the breath in my furry body, I blew, and blew, and blew. But I could not blow that house down. And as I sat there, on the grass, the dew still fresh from morning, knowing that breakfast, lunch, and dinner was staring out a window from a brick house, mocking me, taunting me, and jeering at me, I knew I needed to take a good, hard look at my life and make some changes.

That’s why I’m here today--not at the end of my journey towards being a better creature, but somewhere in the middle. I’m asking for forgiveness. For the straw. For the sticks. Not for the brick, because that house was built well and I believe it got sold the following year for double what it cost to erect, and so, good on that pig, because he must have gotten the architecture gene his siblings didn’t. Me, I’m just going around to different wolf packs, talking to the pups about making good decisions.

Mostly I just tell them to stick to chickens.

You tell them the sky is falling, and the next thing you know, they’re walking right into your cave. No houses you need to gather up your breath support for and no riddles like with goats or grandmothers that give you indigestion. Just good, old-fashioned deception.

So you see, I’ve learned.

I’ve come a long, long way.

October 18, 2021 02:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

240 comments

Ry Danto
15:45 Nov 01, 2021

Incredible. What a clever perspective to a simple tale.

Reply

Story Time
17:01 Nov 01, 2021

Thank you so much Ry!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aubrie Wright
13:57 Nov 01, 2021

One thing that I noticed was you have such amazing talent! Your stories are engaging, and you have a great author voice. I'm so glad you share your work here. I could see you being a future writer

Reply

Story Time
17:01 Nov 01, 2021

Thank you so much, Aubrie!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ina Scott
02:25 Nov 01, 2021

What a hoot! I enjoyed this story on many levels. The wolf's monologue was hilarious yet convincing. You are really talented and witty. Thank you for a delightful read.

Reply

Story Time
04:54 Nov 01, 2021

Thank you Ina!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lore Ax-Horton
18:29 Oct 31, 2021

"I don’t think I should have to apologize for wanting to eat you, because that’s, you know, my nature,...," -What a great way to offer regret while still holding true to one's nature! I love the modern day use of communication techniques. I especially enjoyed the beat of these words strung together: "...manifested hurts in the lives of swine." I appreciate the laughs, the examination of morales, and a new twist on an old story. Congratulations on a well deserved win!!

Reply

Story Time
04:54 Nov 01, 2021

Thank you Lore!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Story Time
04:54 Nov 01, 2021

Thank you Lore!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Mo Ferdause
16:30 Oct 31, 2021

What a wonderful piece! I was laughing out loud. Was I supposed to laugh that hard at the end?

Reply

Story Time
04:54 Nov 01, 2021

Thank you Mo!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Harken Void
12:30 Oct 31, 2021

When I realized what was going on here I kept smiling to the end. What a briliant spin on a classic, haha! Congratulations on the win

Reply

Story Time
04:54 Nov 01, 2021

Thank you Harken!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michele Duess
02:03 Oct 31, 2021

"Just good old fashioned deception..." that's great. Congrats!

Reply

Story Time
04:31 Oct 31, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Larry Keeton
23:36 Oct 30, 2021

Fun read! Love the take on the tale and the humor! Congrats. Well deserved.

Reply

Story Time
04:30 Oct 31, 2021

Thank you Larry!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sylvia Luna
17:16 Oct 30, 2021

As a preschool teacher, I was immediately drawn to your story, even the title was engaging. Since part of my job entails reading stories to children, I’ve obviously read many, many fables, fairy tales and all the newest children’s stories. Secretly, I’ve always wondered about the perspective of the villains in some of the stories I’ve read. Thank you for your perspective, I’ll never read “The Three Little Pigs” the same again. I look forward to reading more of your work!

Reply

Story Time
22:28 Oct 30, 2021

Thank you Sylvia!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carla Ward
14:22 Oct 30, 2021

Got a good chuckle from this. I read portions to my sisters, who are on vacation with me, and it sparked a hilarious discussion of our long ago childhoods.

Reply

Story Time
16:47 Oct 30, 2021

Thank you Carla! Glad you and your family enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Layal Baydoun
14:10 Oct 30, 2021

I loved reading this Very creative! Well-deserved win

Reply

Story Time
16:47 Oct 30, 2021

Thank you Layal

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
12:50 Oct 30, 2021

it's so funny how the wolf claims to be apologetic but his tone shows he actually isn't. He is just defeated, that's all.

Reply

Story Time
16:47 Oct 30, 2021

Thank you so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Palak Shah
11:41 Oct 30, 2021

Amazing story. Well deserved win!

Reply

Story Time
16:47 Oct 30, 2021

Thank you Palak.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
10:45 Oct 30, 2021

I love it. It just shows that for those of us who find plot difficult there are plenty of others out there to emulate and learn from. Just look at the story from a different angle. Kevin has approached the three little pigs from the perspective of the wolf and has caught his voice perfectly, apologetic but with a degree of justification for his actions that is resolved with reference to another traditional story. Brilliant.

Reply

Story Time
16:47 Oct 30, 2021

Thank you Jeannie.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shea West
04:21 Oct 30, 2021

I can just see this wolf at the local high school telling all the little wolves to stay away from drugs...err, I mean pigs. You have an exceptional ease with the monologue that made it so believable as if this were a person and not an animal. Congrats on the win! Been following your work awhile now, and it's always hilarious- Well deserved!

Reply

Story Time
16:48 Oct 30, 2021

Thank you Shea!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Eliza Entwistle
22:53 Oct 29, 2021

This story is the kind of story funny enough to make you smile to yourself and interesting enough to give you a new perspective on those villains - are they really villains, or merely misunderstood? It flowed well and gave away information in a timely manner, revealing who the narrator was through detail. A well deserved win, Kevin!

Reply

Story Time
23:00 Oct 29, 2021

Thank you so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
22:21 Oct 29, 2021

“There was trauma. There was hurt. And I have to understand that and make space for it moving forward. That I brought about and manifested hurt in the lives of swine.” Funniest thing I’ve read for a long time. Satirical and hysterical! Loved it.

Reply

Story Time
22:33 Oct 29, 2021

Thank you Janetthe

Reply

Show 0 replies
Angel {Readsy}
16:24 Oct 30, 2021

Please please comment my story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Zilah Swu Diary
21:11 Oct 29, 2021

I love the concept.... So creative & logical❤❤❤

Reply

Story Time
21:12 Oct 29, 2021

Thank you Zilah

Reply

Zilah Swu Diary
21:13 Oct 29, 2021

Ur welcome & keep it up!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Angel {Readsy}
16:24 Oct 30, 2021

Please please comment my story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
20:18 Oct 29, 2021

yaz, broccoli, my man- so deserved, so deserved-

Reply

Story Time
20:28 Oct 29, 2021

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel Roueche
20:16 Oct 29, 2021

I had a smile on my face the whole time. Such a fun story with great voice. Congrats!

Reply

Story Time
22:34 Oct 29, 2021

Thank you Daniel.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.