4 comments

Drama Funny

“Are you ready yet?”

“Won’t be long.”

Sally picked up the dog lead, her coat and placed her walking boots by the door. She stood at the bottom of the stairs, listening for movement. There was none. No good calling out again or shouting as this always had the opposite effect. She decided to wash the breakfast dishes.

The dog sat by the front door in anticipation. Sally stroked her and told her it wouldn’t be that long before they were off on their early morning walk.

Sally had bounced out of bed and looked out the window at the morning mist. Perfect weather for a walk. She loved the days when the sun peeped through the mist. It was neither too hot for her nor her dog Mitsy. She imagined herself walking through the woods and then out into the meadow. Watching the butterflies, listening to the Skylarks - rare in these parts, she thought. She imagined Mitsy bouncing through the long grass filled with wildflowers. Sally wondered what the sky would look like and if there would be any puffy white clouds, she could photograph. Would she see any Buzzards today? She hoped they could pass by the lake too and see if the geese were still there.

“How long will you be?”

“Not long now. Just putting my socks on.”

Socks, Sally thought. Is that as far as he’s got? Putting his socks on. She sighed and stroked Mitsy again.

Sally dried the dishes and put them all away.

Again, she went to the bottom of the stairs to listen for ‘getting ready’ noises. There was a slight sound, a shuffle, but that was it. Better keep quiet so as not to make him cross, she thought.

Sally tidied up the magazines in the rack. Then she straightened the cushions and covers on the sofa and armchairs. She might as well empty the bins while she was at it and see if any dog poo needed clearing up while she was up in the garden.

Sally looked at her little vegetable plot. Everything growing well. She felt the washing as she walked down the garden. Not dry yet. She looked up at the bedroom window and saw the shape of David moving about. Ah, not long now, she thought.

Sally made herself another cup of tea and gave Mitsy a pat.

“Will you be long, darling?”

“Nearly ready.” Came the reply from upstairs.

Sally watched the early morning news and sipped her tea. From time to time looking out the lounge window at the Blackbirds, Pigeons and Sparrows. She turned the tv off and straightened the cushions once more.

“Shall I unlock the car doors and put our bits in there? “She thought these words might hurry David along.

“I’ll do it. I’ll be down in a minute.”

Sally put the car keys back on the sideboard. Then she tidied up the small stack of dog towels and blankets she’d got ready for the car. She put Mitsy’s collar on and stroked Mitsy’s back.

“Not long now, Mitsypoo. We’ll soon be on our way and you can enjoy your lovely walkies, can’t you.” Mitsy wagged her tail in reply.

Sally stood at the bottom of the stairs again, wondering whether to tell David to get a move on or not.

“Are you nearly ready, David? The times getting on.”

“I know. I’m trying my best. I’ll only be a few more minutes.”

“Shall I put Mitsy in the car?”

“If you like, but I won’t be long, and she might get too hot or distressed and I don’t want you leaving the car unlocked while we’re still in the house.”

“Okay David. Please hurry up we’ve been waiting ages.”

“I’m doing my best.” Shouted David.

Sally tickled Mitsy behind her ear. Mitsy panted and then wagged her tail.

“I know Mitsy, you’ve been waiting ages. So, have I. Why can’t he get up early like he promised? Why can’t he get a move on when he knows we all want to go out for the day?”

David slowly descended the stairs, entered the kitchen and went over to make himself a cup of tea. 

“Haven’t you had enough cups of tea this morning? You’ll be wanting to stop for a pee all the time while we are out.”

“I’ve only had two cups. Anyway, I need my breakfast before we go.”

“Haven’t you had your breakfast yet?”

“No. What’s the rush. We’ve got all day, haven’t we?”

Sally looked at the clock, it was nearly eleven and she’d been up since six. She went into the lounge and straightened the magazines, cushions, covers and the television controls. Then she went up the garden and felt the washing again. It was nearly dry, but not worth bringing in just yet as they were about to go out.

David sat watching the news channel as he ate his cornflakes.

“Look at all this rubbish they keep putting out here on the news.”

“Can we get a move on please David? Never mind the news and the telly.”

“I’m going as fast as I can.”

David put his cereal bowl in the sink.

“Do you know where my walking boots are, Sally?”

“You probably left them in the shed at the bottom of the garden.”

“Ah, yes, I remember.” David ambled down the garden admiring the flowers, shrubs and vegetable patch. He collected his walking boots from the shed and sat on the sofa, sorting out the laces.

Sally went into the bathroom and straightened the towels, turned off the dripping tap and put the toilet seat lid back down. Then she straightened the pictures on the mantelshelf.

“Where are the car keys, Sally?”

“Where you left them.”

“I can’t see them anywhere.”

“On the sideboard.”

“Nope.”

Sally walked over to the sideboard, put her hand into the little dish in the centre, pulled out the car keys and plonked them in David’s hand.

“Have you got everything ready Sally? Bag, shoes, dog blankets and towels? Do we need to take water and any fruit or sannys to eat?”

“I’ve done my water and a bottle for Mitsy.”

“Where’s my water bottle?”

“Where you left it.”

“Where’s that?”

Sally opened a kitchen cupboard, took out a water bottle and banged it on the kitchen counter.

“I’ll open the car and put Mitsy in.”

“Okay, won’t be a minute. Just got to put my boots on, fill my water bottle and go to the toilet.”

Sally pulled the front door open, unlocked the car doors and placed all the bits and pieces she thought were necessary for the walking trip onto the rear seat. Then she put Mitsy in the car.

“Come on girlie, time for your walkies now.”

Mitsy eagerly jumped into the back of the car and Sally pushed the rear door down.

“Are you ready, David?”

“Coming in a minute. Have we got everything? Is Mitsy in the car?”

“Yes everything, including Mitsy is in the car. Shall I get in?”

“Okay. I’ll be two seconds.”

Sally sat in the car and wiped the inside of the windows with a cloth. She turned and stroked Mitsy. 

David came out of the house and went back in again. 

“I’ve forgotten the car keys.” He smiled at Sally.

“I’ve got them here.” Sally held up the car keys and jingled them.

David sat in the driver’s seat and gave an enormous sigh.

“Gosh, this is hard work getting ready to go for a walk in the country.”

Sally did not answer.

“Have you locked the front door?”

“No.”

David got out of the car and went to lock the front door.

“Where are the car keys?”

Sally rattled the keys in front of David’s nose.

“Right, we’re off at last, Mitsy. Are you going to enjoy your little walkies today, then? Won’t it be fun?”

Sally looked at the car clock -it was nearly twelve noon and she had to be back to pick up the grand kids by two. She sighed. Never mind, it would still be nice just to see some green grass, wildflowers and maybe the lake, if everything went well and if they had time. Beggars can’t be choosers, she thought.

July 09, 2020 15:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Farida Rokadiya
21:39 Jul 15, 2020

I thought there was a surprise ending, but there wasn't. Much closer to reality. I liked it. Please read mine too, Never say die . Would appreciate your feedback.

Reply

Barbara Burgess
17:44 Jul 19, 2020

thank you for your comment and I enjoyed your story. Maybe with more experience I need to get some surprise endings!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amith Shaju
14:51 Jul 14, 2020

Happens in a lot of families 😅

Reply

Barbara Burgess
06:15 Jul 15, 2020

you're right and patience is often needed ha ha

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.