A Brown Leader Arises

Submitted into Contest #80 in response to: Write about a child witnessing a major historical event.... view prompt

1 comment

Historical Fiction

A brown leader arises



The over welling vibe from the people as they cheered and stood for my father as he finished his speech and gave a wave to the crowd. I was ushered where my father was standing along with my mother and little sister. I was pulled close to my father and received side hung squeeze. My father look down upon to me, “I love you son”. I saw the love and felt the love from my father through his falling tears of happiness and proudness. I smiled back and yelled through the roaring crow “Love you dad.” Tiny sparks of flashes caught my eyes as lots of them went off with some people rushing to us, asking us thousands of questions. My sister got scared from the demanding staff and now they pointing mics in our faces and asked us questions after questions. I was lost for words as the questions came pouring and I was confused. How am I so important? The center of attention should be on my father and mother, not on my sister and I, we did nothing but seat there and look good.


A loud scream something from the crowd yelled out loud “Si se Puede!”. Once that was said, the crowd then jump into actions as one together “Si se Puede, Si se Puede, and Si se Puede.” Both my father and mother threw their hand straight up with a soulful pride yell “Si se Puede.” Again, they shot their hands up, I then joined my folks too. I join the cause with my parents. My little sister had no clue based on her clueless face, but also joined the cause and acted like she knew, but she was just following our actions. The men in black whispered something into my father ear, then we were off walking and being guided by a few men into a long car that was stretch into two cars total. Once inside, we spend off into traffic.

 I was just looking at my folks as they held hands and looked at each other for some time until they kissed each other. My sister who was younger than I was by 6 years asked about the speech and gathering. “Daddy, are we some famous start now, and how come we had to seat through that thing?” Both of my parent chuckled with a sly grin. My father went about talking. “Well honey, we will be more popular and notice a lot more. People will want to take your picture and talk to you. We will have some people watching over us and be by our side every day for a good while. We also be living at a new home for a long time. Since your daddy won his election, things will change and have change my brown angel. Okay. As my father explained further, I could picture the entire speech again, what I saw, how I felt, and what I believe in and what my father says and stands for.


 I was living history through my eyes and felt the warmth from my proudness what my father accomplished for being the first Hispanic man to be president of the United States of America. He broke a major barrier and beat the stereotype odds of a Hispanic man. As my father said in his speech, major victories is won by small milestone with time and patience in your decisions and a positive attitude in life. When my father spoke, during the speech, the crowd clamp when my father presented a good point for his goals for his presidency and pointed out his plan for the people. Because he wanted to give back, “because the people help him succeed through his entire life and give him the opportunity to make great things happened. Without the people, he would not be standing here as man with the women and children of his dreams.” I look at my mother and she was open eye with tears of happiness for my father. My mother too, made so many sacrifices and hard decisions for our family, but mainly for my father.


 My mother knew that my father for destine for greatness and be something. I remember my mother at one time was working two jobs to help my father to finish out his PhD schooling. Working days at the county library as director, then in the evening as Cashier at HEB. Seeing my mother putting in those 70-hour workweek, and not once she ever complained or give any excuse. She always said, “It will pay off one day, just watch honey, its matter of time. Education pays off, you have to put in the hard work and make those hard sacrifices now, but later on, the awards are great.” I always heard that, but I do see it now, with my father great jumps and strive of his heard work. Its takes family team work as both of them have always said to my Sister and I.


“Sorry sir!” as the driver said when we went up in the air as the limo went off of the bad bump in the road. My smiled with pure joy in my heart and aspire to be great as my parents are. My father, the President of the United States of America, and to add on to that, he is the first Hispanic one in history ever. My mother well establish attorney of law that specializes and fights for the unfortunate lower class people. I feel that I living in a historical moment in my life in which no one else can experience nor understand what I seeing or feeling. I want to be on that level with my parents and make them proud for what I want to pursue. Like my parent has always said to me. It is my choice to make good or bad decisions for my life, I am in control of my own destiny. The sky is the limit and no one can take anything away from me, but myself only and if I allowed that to happen. I again look at my family and shout “Si se Puede”.

February 12, 2021 02:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

The Manticore
18:04 Feb 19, 2021

Hi Richard, we're from the critique circle! A tender melancholy story, it's really beautiful. Love the additions like "Si se puede" and mentioning HEB when you could have just said "grocery store." They make the story seem very personal and relatable. You could benefit from having a few more smaller paragraphs by breaking up your handful of big ones, and work on describing the scene and colors and sounds a bit more. Other than that, this was a good read, please keep on keepin' on! We wrote a story this week, for contest 81, called "Warmest ...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.