25 comments

Romance Drama Fiction

There he sat, back to the black-bellied stove that once burned coal a little too hot. A cup filled with coffee rested on the wooden table beside a notepad. There he sat. There he wrote.

It was a time before the time of computers and laptops and cell phones. An age when the tip of a pen met paper and the mind was squeezed out in ink. Thought flowed with the sweep of the hand, pushed into tails and curls, and its sentence finished in a puddle of blue. An ink dot. The stop of the thought. The start of another.

He sat doing this, lifting his pen now and again, resting his eyes on the window pane where accents walked by. Thick accents that announced their beginnings. The Scottish ‘aye’. The Irish ‘naw’. The German ‘jawohl’. All of them woven slowly through the years netting themselves deeply into the Bowery bones. Lower East Village Manhattan, where the bricklayer tips back his pint after a day of building the walls of wall street and the Ukrainian waitress lights a candle for her mother in the church across the street. A hundred and a half years of feet walked past this window. Ordinary feet living ordinary lives on an ordinary street.

He was writing a letter. “I miss you.” was the second to last line followed by “I will love you always, your Patrick. His was an Irish accent.

He put the pen down, and picked up the coffee mug, swallowed the last swallow before he folded the letter and hid it inside his jacket pocket. He stood slowly, allowing his knees to yawn before stepping away from the table.

“Ya off now Patrick?” Matty asked, wiping the bar top with a white rag.

“Aye,” Patrick responded. “I have a letter to post.”

Matty smiled and gave Patrick a wink. “I’ll be seeing you when yer done then.”

***

Fear stood in an aqua Clair McCardell one piece with black piping trying to catch her breath. The wooden platform was slippery beneath her feet and a pebble was grinding itself between her pinky and fourth toe.

Her friends had talked her into an afternoon at Lions Head in Howth. Right this moment she was wondering why she ever said yes. She would have done better, she thought, to have spent the afternoon in Dublin going to the shops or meeting Lily for tea. Instead, she was peering over a diving platform into churning waves below. She gulped in the sea air. An attempt to calm her nerves? An attempt to hyperventilate herself to pass out? Neither worked. She had two options, she could turn around and go back the way she came or she could step forward and allow herself to drop into the sea.

Cheers came from behind her. Encouragement in sentences from bodies that had slipped out of their saddle shoes for a day on the rock hollered, “You’ve got this!” “There is no other gal than our Sal!” and “Don’t think about it, just jump!” It was the last one that seemed helpful. “Don’t think, just do it.”

She moved to the edge. Eyes forward. One deep breath and …

It was exhilarating.

Time stood still and moved forward simultaneously. Air danced on the soles of her feet then pulled itself around her, wrapping her, protecting her as she dropped. Strangely she felt no fear and she counted the seconds in her mind. How many till her body sheered through the surf? Would it hurt? Would she feel it? “ah, let’s not think about that, this part feels too amazing to worry about that part.” She closed her eyes and enjoyed the rest of the drop.

He saw her smile the split second before her feet entered the sea.

That was the moment he felt his heart fall in love.

****

He stood in front of the double glass doors of 15 East 7th Street Manhattan gazing up at the windows, his two sons strapped to their suitcases, one on his left, the other on his right.

“Is this the place, Da?” the elder boy asked.

“Aye.” Patrick confirmed. “Your Uncle Matty says our rooms are up there.” His right index finger pointed up at a bank of black-trimmed windows set in red brick. “It’s a good change, we’ll be good here.” Patrick spoke out loud, not so much to convince the boys, but to convince himself.

The last year had been a tumble of sorrow in fog. The ten years before had been a whirlwind of love. It was hard to let go of the one while trying to climb out of the other.

Then came the invitation from Matty. “Come to America, I have a place for you to stay, and a job at the pub. The change might help.”

The three of them walked through the doors into their new life.

*****

Patrick pulled his feet along the old wood floor and opened the door to East 7th. The smell of the city hugged his soul. Another Irish accent walked by and nodded in his direction.

" Hello, Patrick.”

“Hello, John. How yer doing today?

“Above this side of the dirt still Patrick, I say it’s a fine day.” John offered a wink. “Where you off to?”

“Just to the post, to drop a letter.”

“Ah, for Bob? He’s still in University? or Mike? How is that lovely wife of his? You raised two fine sons my friend.”

Patrick smiled and nodded “Aye, they turned out well those boys, take after their mother. But the letter isn’t for them.”

“I’ll walk you then? If you don’t mind a bit of company?”

Patrick nodded and the two elderly men chatted, catching up on the neighborhood news as they strolled down the sidewalk. John turned left onto 3rd St. Patrick continued ahead to Copper Square.

When Patrick reached the post he pulled the letter from his pocket, opened the handle, and slid it in. He knew it would never get to where it should be yet he posted it as he had posted all the letters before it. He’d been doing this for thirty-five years.

It was easier for him to think she was away visiting her sister than to remember she was gone forever and so he did that. On her birthday he mailed her a letter. At Christmas, he mailed her a letter. On their wedding anniversary, he mailed her a letter. On the birthdates of their sons, he mailed her a letter. And today, the day his heart fell in love with her, the day she smiled in the sea, he mailed her a letter.

He thought of that day as he walked back to 15 East 7 street. How he watched her on the platform deciding what she was going to do. Then to watch her overcome her inner fear and enjoy it. The smile, he would never forget how she beamed. He never knew if it came from the thrill of the drop or the thrill of overcoming her terror, either way, she glowed.

He could never bring himself to jump. Perhaps that’s a bit of why he fell in love with her. She was brave.

He turned into 15 East 7 street, walked behind the old wood bar, tied his white apron on, and started pouring pints for the tired accents who had finished work.

It wasn’t long before the memory was replaced by the lives of others. Davy was having problems with his mother-in-law, Jimmy got told off by his boss, and Terry got that promotion he’d been hoping for. Jenny was waiting for her brother to take her to the pictures. Ordinary people, living ordinary lives, drinking an ordinary pint in an ordinary pub.

The shift was long and by the time the ordinary people had finished telling him of their ordinary day his head was throbbing.

Patrick locked the door on the night and sank into the chair by the black-bellied stove that once burned coal a little too hot, easing his toes out of their servitude. He closed his eyes.

The wooden platform was smooth beneath his feet, a little slippery and a little cold. Patrick opened his eyes and saw the Irish sea before him. The salt air kissed his cheek.

“Patrick.”

He heard his name being called, carried on the breeze, braiding itself around his soul.

“Patrick.”

He looked down.

Waving from the waves, that smile on her face in jubilant joy.

“Patrick.” Her voice called.

His heart leaped to his throat. It was her. My God, it was her!

“Don’t think about it, just do it.”

He moved to the edge. Eyes forward. One deep breath and …

It was exhilarating.

Time stood still and moved forward simultaneously. Air danced on the soles of his feet then pulled itself around him, wrapping him, protecting him as he dropped.

His breath was taken away only for a moment and when he surfaced she was there.

“My Patrick...” her eyes danced as her arms reached for him. “I’ve been waiting for you for such a long time.”

******

The wake was held at 15 east 7th street Manhattan.

They said it was a stroke but anyone who loved Patrick Doyle knew it was his heart.

March 23, 2023 14:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

25 comments

Éan Bird
16:44 Apr 04, 2023

Your prose is filled with rich imagery and beautiful cadence! I love how "the black-bellied stove that once burned coal a little too hot" weaves throughout. I also really love your bio 💕.

Reply

Glenda Toews
01:18 Apr 05, 2023

Thanks for reading it Ean (wish I had the little jiggy to put on my E for you:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laura Jarosz
16:22 Mar 30, 2023

This was such a sweet read! It contains some absolutely beautiful prose. 'Allowed his knees to yawn' was one of my favorite images early on. This story is brilliantly structured and I love how neatly you dovetail everything together!

Reply

Glenda Toews
16:27 Mar 30, 2023

Thank you for taking the time to read it and comment Laura. I really do appreciate your thoughts.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jennifer Chan
03:48 Mar 30, 2023

Oh what a lovely story! I love how you took the time to create that environment of accents in the beginning as well as the line "Ordinary feet living ordinary lives on an ordinary street." It makes me think about the number of stories that must reside in the people who pass by us every day and with us none the wiser. Thank you for giving us a glimpse into one of Patrick's!

Reply

Glenda Toews
04:05 Mar 30, 2023

I think you nailed it Jennifer. Ordinary lives weave in and out of ours daily don't they....and each one bends in the past with stories...some ordinary, others extraordinary...As authors we have the ability to reach into a sentence we hear and create a whole life! It's amazing !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
08:20 Mar 28, 2023

A pleasant story full of nostalgia, I also didn't quite see that coming. I used to live not far from there. And having worked with people from Ireland I could really picture (is that the right word?) the accent you have skillfully written into this. A bittersweet ending that retains some mystery about what exactly happened with his wife.

Reply

Glenda Toews
14:05 Mar 28, 2023

Thanks for taking the time to comment Scott, I appreciate that! If you read "The Train" it will answer your question about his wife ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jack Kimball
01:29 Mar 28, 2023

Hi Glenda, I liked best the imagery. ‘where the bricklayer tips back his pint after a day of building the walls of wall street and the Ukrainian waitress lights a candle for her mother in the church across the street.’ I suspect you have a unique opportunity working in a bar. What better place to hear life stories and observe character? You also can certainly turn a phrase. ‘It was hard to let go of the one while trying to climb out of the other.’ I imagine anybody can learn grammar (and need to) but the art is in the characters and the ...

Reply

Glenda Toews
01:42 Mar 28, 2023

Aye Sir Jack, I spend my days listening to the ordinary tell me about their ordinary day as they sit on ordinary barstools sipping ordinary pints. :D This piece though was not built from that but rather from my love of Joseph Mitchell's fantastic story of McSorleys (now that man can write!) When I saw the prompt I was giddy... I drew from Mitchell and ... challenged myself to weave in characters from "The Train" and Voila 15 East 7th Street was born. Thank you for your kind words.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Brothers
19:36 Mar 23, 2023

A wonderfully told tale. I loved the rhythm of it. It has an Irish tinge throughout. Lines I adore: where accents walked by Air danced on the soles of her feet Patrick locked the door on the night All great. Some things to consider: Be sure to use a comma before or after a name: Is this the place, Da? Patrick, are you… “On the day both of their sons were born, he mailed her a letter” I think you meant on their birthdays, as she was alive when they were born, but not for all the birthdays. But it's a wonderful read and the parallel...

Reply

Glenda Toews
20:17 Mar 23, 2023

Thank you for your suggestions Rebecca. I will pay attention to this moving forward. My grammar is atrocious and if spell check didn't exist... well, Thank God for it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Viga Boland
16:55 Mar 23, 2023

Oh Glenda. My first time reading one of your stories but I am going to follow you to make sure I never miss another. Your writing is incredible, rich in emotional relatability. Your metaphoric use of language is magical. You make me wish I hadn’t resigned from being a Reedsy judge just a few days ago: I would have shortlisted this story in a heartbeat. I hope some other judge will do what I now can’t. Exquisite amost unusual use of this prompt. On a personal note, is it prophetic I found your story on the day my beloved brother-in-law will...

Reply

Glenda Toews
18:03 Mar 23, 2023

Dear Viga, Thank you for your kind words... I LOVED that line too, sometimes when a sentence comes out like that it just gives me chills, I'm glad it did the same for you. I do think, if I recall, you gave me my first advice on my first submission "The Train." I have used it! My grammar is horrid. I thank you again for the suggestion. I'm so sorry to hear about your brother-in-law. It must be terribly hard for you to be here in Canada and not to be with your family as they say goodbye. I hope when your sister and he reunite it will be as...

Reply

Viga Boland
19:31 Mar 23, 2023

Thanks Glenda. All the best with your wonderful writing. You are gifted, my friend.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
David Sweet
12:11 Jun 09, 2023

After reading all of the comments, I agree with them. You are absolutely knocking it out of the park with creating characters. And also with your phrasing. I understand what you mean when a sentence comes out that you didn't expect and you know it was just perfect for what you were trying to say, there is no feeling like it. I'm exciting for reading even more stories to see how they interweave these characters even more. And, of course, excited for the book.

Reply

Glenda Toews
13:18 Jun 09, 2023

I think most writers have to admit... we reveal what is already there. It feels great when we do that doesn't it!

Reply

David Sweet
15:22 Jun 09, 2023

It does feel great. I feel that I go into zone sometimes. I'm not a disciplined writer, writing from 6 -8 am every morning. Sometimes, it's I'm up half the night, or hits me at noon or early morning. I'm just glad I have a schedule now that allows me to write when I have inspiration hit me. Do you go from memory on all the characters you meet at the pub? Do you record stories, take notes? Take notes as soon as you can? I'm always interested in methods. I also think it is interesting about your daughter being in Ukraine before all hell brok...

Reply

Glenda Toews
15:37 Jun 09, 2023

No, not at all, as a matter of fact, The Sling Shot arrived on a drive home from work listening to the news about an 8year old boy who saved his little sister from being abducted by attacking the guy with his slingshot. The story wove from there into Patrick's youth, he has that kind of heart :D. I'm working on another story now that also was something I drew from the news... real life is very inspirational... I have one writer, Anthony Doerr, sometimes I pick up and read just one of his paragraphs before I start writing mine. He has a beaut...

Reply

David Sweet
16:07 Jun 09, 2023

I take a lot of notes on my phone. I use Google docs to make notes. Moat of my Reedsy stories were written from my phone. Thumbs working feverishly! Haha. Ron Rash, David Joy, and William Gay have really inspired me. I also belong to a small writing group at a Folktale coffee shop that is owned by a former student and her husband, and I share poetry on open mic night when we have a poetry jam at a local restaurant, The Wrigley. I'm trying to stay on my toes, but new stuff has been difficult for me lately. I appreciate your encouragement.

Reply

Glenda Toews
16:17 Jun 09, 2023

I could never write on my phone! Good for you! I forgot to add, re characters ..most of the time when I think of the situation, I think,'what type of personality would do this, or that or nothing, or everything...then the personality becomes the character....thats how they are born...for my fiction stuff...non fiction wellll...theyare who they are😆...ill pop over to your site after work tonight and pick another to read...till then, I'm off to pour pints for the ordinary😉

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
22:23 Apr 20, 2023

You have a gift that you squeeze out of the keys. Keep 'em coming. Love what you can do with words.

Reply

Glenda Toews
00:38 Apr 21, 2023

Thank you Mary. And thank you for reading my stories.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
12:29 Sep 05, 2023

https://exampledomain.com/?u=XXXXX&o=YYYYY

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.