Fair Lady II

Submitted into Contest #255 in response to: Start your story with a character in despair.... view prompt

46 comments

Drama Friendship Funny

Fair Lady II


Sir Riley Fenwick paced back and forth wringing his hands. “Hurry up, Ole Chap! We'll never find her again if you take all day getting your shirt back on.”

“Don't despair, Mate. In this crowd she can't be moving very fast. Help me tie this confounded cravat. The least this boxing venue could have done is provide a mirror back here if they expect a gentleman to strip to his bare chest to participate in a match. How is one ever supposed to go out in public again half dressed?”

“Don't need to get fancy, Carlton. We're not headed to a ballroom. Do a simple mail coach tie and let's get out of here. We'll look for a mirror in one of the many market tents. Surely, someone is selling gilded-frame mirrors. They have everything else at this market fair. I'll help you out just so we can get going. I don't want to lose the most beautiful lady I have ever seen because you have to be in pink of fashion.”

“Maybe you need to look at yourself. That shiner is starting to glow. Sorry, I didn't mean to hit you so hard but you froze up and didn't duck.”

“I caught a glimpse of that Lady Charity and was mesmerized. The way she stood over me waiting to see if I was okay tells me she felt the magic, too.”

“Don't forget she was on the arm of another man. You think he'll step aside so easily? Not likely. We don't even know her full title. Who's going to introduce you? She'll be impossible to track down with the season coming to a close. We're on a wild-goose chase here.”

“Don't remind me. Already feeling like I'm going to croak. Did you get a good look at that swell? Puffed up and pompous! Looked to be a Merry Andrew if you ask me. That ridiculous elaborate white wig with the tiny three corner hat and humongous plume. What color would you call that plume? Do birds really grow feathers in rainbow colors? He's a totally unsuitable suitor for such an exquisite, incomparable beauty as she. Surely, it has to be an arranged match. She can't possibly love him. Besides it is obvious he is so much older than she. I have got to at least find her to ask if she is happy. Otherwise, I'll stay dicked in the nob and won't be able to shake the blue-devils. Let's go!”

“I suppose you fancy yourself as some nonpareil equal to her beauty and stature.”

“You got lucky with that punch that knocked me out. Usually I can hold my own in any sporting match. I got distracted. We'll have to have a rematch in fencing next time.”

“You're on. Where to first?”

“Follow the cobblestone path. We came from that way and so did they because we first saw them at that high striker strongman game. Remember? He couldn't get a rise out of the puck. So we'll go the other way. Keep your eyes open. Can't miss that plume of color!”

Back out on the promenade the two young bucks first popped into a tent displaying elaborate furnishings and checked their appearances in an ornate mirror. Passing inspection in their properly tied neck cloths, brocade waist-coats, long-tailed black jackets and top hats they hurried pass performing dogs in tutus rolling barrels and jumping through hoops, pantomimes, bag-pipe players and a sword swallower.

“Did that bloody bone box really swallow a sword? Or have we been bamboozled? How does he keep from cutting his own throat?” Sir Carlton slowed down to watch in awe.

“You'll have to quiz 'im later, Whipper-snapper. Lot's more turf to cover.” Riley pressed on. “You check that tent, I'll take this one.”

“Fortune teller there. What did you find?”

“Faro game. Another time maybe when I have a spare tanner.” Sir Riley was getting more distraught. “She couldn't have gotten very far. That aging chaperon tagging behind would have slowed them down.”

“Maybe they took a breather to get some of the delicious smelling fair fare.”

“Don't get side tracked. After that boxing faux pas and all this rushing around I could almost cast up my accounts merely thinking of more food. Keep looking. That bigwig has got to be visible somewhere.”

“Is that another one of those barbecues over there. See all the smoke. Let's check it out.”

“Fire breathers and flame throwers! What a showcase! They are twirling fire-lit batons! Tossing them in the air and catching 'em!”

“And look! There's the plume down front!” Sir Carlton tugged on Riley's coat sleeve calling his attention to the audience.

“By Jove! We found them! Now what is our course of action? How do we get an introduction?”

“Maybe we can confront him pretending we know him from University days. We thought he was one of our professors. He would have to deny it and tell us his name. Courtesy would dictate he introduce us to his companion. Right?”

“You are not so addled-brained after all, Carlton! But they are engrossed with the entertainment right now. We'll have to catch them as they are leaving. Might as well enjoy the show.”

As they started watching a flaming baton flipped up in the air raining down sparks. One errant ember flicked out into the front row and landed atop a bouffant white wig topped by an enormous colorful plume. Suddenly, the whole head was ablaze. Stunning everyone it took a second to realize what was happening.

The fireball started screaming and running around in circles trying to beat out his hairdo. One of the performers swung into action picking up the nearby bucket of water and dousing the beleaguered guest. The flames sizzled and died. The coxcomb was last seen chugging out of the theater tent with a full head of steam.

Carlton gawked at Riley. Riley gawked at Carlton.

“I think we have a fair young lady to rescue, My Friend.” Carlton urged Riley forward.








June 20, 2024 02:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

46 comments

Irene Duchess
23:03 Jul 07, 2024

Will there be a part three? Can't wait to read it!! :D

Reply

Mary Bendickson
23:44 Jul 07, 2024

Fair Lady Charity came out last week😊.

Reply

Irene Duchess
02:37 Jul 08, 2024

Ah yes! I had seen "Much Ado About Nothing" and completely missed it! 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Daniel Rogers
02:46 Jun 25, 2024

From a crime committed, to a lady in need of rescue. Your vocabulary from that time period is commendable.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
14:04 Jun 25, 2024

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
19:53 Jun 24, 2024

Another masterpiece. Like the dialogs. Sorry for my horror story. I know you don't like horror (especially my kind of). 😀

Reply

Mary Bendickson
20:13 Jun 24, 2024

It is what you do and you are so good at what you do. Always impressed with the writing, not always with the content😜 Thanks for liking my silly little story. You probably don't always like my subjects either😁.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Lewis
19:26 Jun 24, 2024

Your story is full of energy, and the characters are engaging. The back-and-forth between Sir Riley and Sir Carlton is fun and gives them depth. The fair scene is vibrant and feels real. You build up to the climax well with the plume catching fire. The plume catching fire is a great dramatic twist. It leaves us wanting to know what happens next. Your story is compelling and has great potential.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
20:12 Jun 24, 2024

Glad you liked it and thanks for the encouragement.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jim LaFleur
17:53 Jun 24, 2024

As usual, Excellent work, Mary!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
20:09 Jun 24, 2024

Thank you.😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kay Smith
16:14 Jun 24, 2024

Love it! Funny! I really enjoy the easy banter between these two. You write so well in this style! Keep going!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
16:42 Jun 24, 2024

Thanks. Going for more this week.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
09:06 Jun 23, 2024

This is so much fun to read Mary. Sparkling piece.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
13:31 Jun 23, 2024

Happy you liked it. Working on a little more for this week.

Reply

Helen A Smith
13:36 Jun 23, 2024

I look forward to reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
15:05 Jun 22, 2024

Love this style of writing from you Mary. The dialogue sparkles between the two leads. Where did you find some of these words? Coxcomb lol Lovely stuff as always

Reply

Mary Bendickson
19:55 Jun 22, 2024

I confess I had to do some research to understand this era. Wasn't familiar with the 'Ton' at all.

Reply

19:59 Jun 22, 2024

Very well done! I tried but gave up after 1000 words!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
00:10 Jun 23, 2024

Some say not enough denouement so am going to try to fit one of the prompts this week for more closure.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Annie Persson
08:45 Jun 21, 2024

Wow! What an ending! I can't wait for the next one! Will he get his fair lady or will his hopes be dashed upon the rocks of an arranged marriage? :)

Reply

Mary Bendickson
12:27 Jun 21, 2024

Working on it😜.

Reply

Annie Persson
13:23 Jun 21, 2024

Looking forward to it! ;)

Reply

Annie Persson
20:40 Jun 23, 2024

Heh, sorry I forgot to like it! ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
06:00 Jun 21, 2024

What a great follow up!! I really enjoyed the humor here and thought you did an excellent job writing this. You always do a great job!! :)

Reply

Mary Bendickson
12:21 Jun 21, 2024

So kind of you to say that. Yours are always excellent.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
23:33 Jun 20, 2024

Lolol! Love it! So fun. You have such a wonderful gift for humor. Well done!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
00:01 Jun 21, 2024

Thank you so much. The prompt suggested dark but I couldn't help myself.😜

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
18:03 Jun 20, 2024

Hahahaha ! These two bumbling rascals ! Hahahaha ! A really fun read, Mary !

Reply

Mary Bendickson
22:02 Jun 20, 2024

Glad you enjoyed it😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
17:51 Jun 20, 2024

I do wish there will be a proper prompt next week to properly continue this sage.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
22:02 Jun 20, 2024

It's short maybe I can still add to it tonight 😜. Have busy day tomorrow.

Reply

Trudy Jas
22:12 Jun 20, 2024

Go for it. We got to put out the fire💧🚒🧯

Reply

Mary Bendickson
22:18 Jun 20, 2024

😄

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
17:17 Jun 20, 2024

I always like a historical story. You portrayed despair very well. An amazing story.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
22:00 Jun 20, 2024

Thank you.😊

Reply

14:29 Jun 21, 2024

You're welcome.💐

Reply

Show 0 replies
14:29 Jun 21, 2024

You're welcome.💐

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
11:00 Jun 20, 2024

How awesome. You let us in on what happened next. Jolly fine! Fits despair well! As you have time - you may want to check a few points; Half undressed - half dressed? More concise? He was totally an unsuitable suitor . He is a totally unsuitable suitor? The coxcomb was last seen chugging out (of) the theater tent (I momentarily saw a man spewing out a tent. LOL)

Reply

Mary Bendickson
11:45 Jun 20, 2024

Thanks. Will see to it. Do you think the story stands on its own without repeating too much of first story?

Reply

22:37 Jun 20, 2024

We all know it's a continuation. But there is enough information to make it a stand alone. They are desperately looking for someone - a beautiful young lady. The ending is priceless.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
00:00 Jun 21, 2024

Thank you. I had my husband critique it and he didn't think enough was evident. Others are still thinking there should be more so I will see what I can do if anything 🙂.

Reply

01:49 Jun 21, 2024

You still have time to clarify. You have 3,000 words. You can make it longer by adding detail.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
02:21 Jun 21, 2024

I'll try but mostly I am out of time.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Marty B
04:22 Jun 20, 2024

I like these rascals! Those wigs must have been catching fire all the time! Talk about head on fire!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
11:47 Jun 20, 2024

😁. Thanks for liking.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.