0 comments

Adventure Romance Science Fiction

Having survived a strange market day, a grizzly murder, a hunt for treasure and a dangerous game show, Yrmenise is faced with her greatest challenge yet - fighting against her own family for her true love...


"Yrma, my darling girl..."


Dad met me on the dock after I exited the decontamination chamber. I was flanked by two guards who eyed me suspiciously even as one of the highest authorities in the five systems of that made up the Ariad Sector of the Yaris Galaxy wrapped me up in a giant bear hug.


"Daaad..." I said a little embarrassed.


"I missed you so much! I know your mother said you could handle yourself, and here you are! In the furthest reaches of space, apprehending a known criminal by yourself, oh my dear, little Yrma. Oh! Oh no... that means I lose our wager. Haaa, your mother will just love that, won't she?"


Before I could get a word in, my dad had ordered for me to be freshened up and brought back to his quarters for a proper debrief.


"Don't think we won't discuss your little stint with that Triven. You know, mother always said..."


"Never trust a Triven," we finished together, "I know dad."


"For what it's worth, I am glad to have you back."


A moment later, I was alone in my own (rather lavish) quarters. From the closet, I chose something similar to my clothes back home. My reflection beamed back at me, but only for a moment.


This was a world I had left far behind on a whim. Since then, I had found adventure, hardship, romance...


It was almost perfect.


I finished dressing up and went to see my dad. We needed to clear up this little misunderstanding. The guards who had flanked me before did so again now. I eyed them a little apprehensively but then again, they were mostly for safety and guards generally followed around important people - which I was.


My dad was seated at his desk putting together a speech of sorts for the Federation. He was a diplomat, friendliest face in the universe if you could believe it... he had a poster and everything to prove it too.


His skill was proven most unquestionably when he had wooed and won the heart of my mother, a once-loyal Darin. It was a proven fact that the Darin race was the most vicious in the known galaxy.


After the first few contingents bent on world domination had been soundly beaten, then the governments had resolved to try diplomacy. That was my father's speciality, although he had only just been instated as an ambassador then. His crew had been captured and he was my mother's prisoner for a while. Eventually, he won her heart and together, they escaped the planet to make a new home on my own planet, Krivose Omnia IV.


She'd done very well for herself too, having recently been promoted to Elder Guard serving the Krivose King. That was not an easy position to gain and she had worked very hard for years to earn it.


With so much at stake, I wondered how I was going to explain what I needed to.


"No, dad. I wasn't apprehending a criminal, I was having a small romantic moment with him."


That would go over well...


But I couldn't just let Tilo die. He had come for me when he thought we were in danger. I had also been the one to save him from a deadly romantic game show. We had connected somehow in a way I hadn't expected.


And I wanted to know where this would go. I couldn't do that if he had his particles disintegrated slowly in the incineration chamber or if he was relegated to hard labour on an asteroid somewhere.


If I was going to fix this, I had to do it now. I just hoped I could get the message across properly. I cleared my throat to get my dad's attention. He turned with a wide smile on his face.


"There she is; the heroine of the hour. How do you feel Rimi?"


I felt a little more guilt at the endearment. He hadn't called me that in years... then again, he hadn't been around too often and had only recently been sent back home to work with the Krivose King on some grand plan to extend a friendly hand to the nearest hostile nation.


If anyone could do it, it would be him.


"I'm fine, dad. But we need to talk."


"Uh-oh... I know that face. Yrma, are you alright?"


"It's..." I started. Did I really want to do this? This was my father for crying out loud! Admitting my fault would mean that I chose Tilo, my sort-of-boyfriend (almost-date? incumbent other? potential partner?) over my family. My sister, Tridis had practically pushed me out the window that night I'd made the (fabulously wretched) idea to follow my ex-boyfriend (the cowardly regurgitate of a Firina Worm) off the planet and out of the system.


It turned out that he had been using me as a "place-holder" for his emotions while he was on a break with his real girlfriend. The sorry sod had even been the reason I ended up in mortal danger with my... with Tilo.


The fact remained that I had let everything go the first time for someone who definitely didn't deserve it. Tilo I'd known for even less time but in those few weeks, I'd learned a lot about him. He was caring, he was warm and above all else, loyal to a fault. He certainly wasn't using me as a place-holder for anything.


"Dad, I..."



"Oh, hold on a moment. I think your mother is calling. She will certainly want to see you."


He pressed a button on the console beside him and a holographic image of my mother appeared in front of us. She had the regimental uniform of the Elder Guard, very stylish. It looked amazing on her.


"Yrma! Goodness, there you are!" She reached out and hugged me. The pixels tickled but it was good to hug her again. "Oh sweet Rimi, we thought you'd been kidnapped or worse! I was about to wage war on the Triven galaxy you know. Forsake not your Darin kin!"


I smiled as she rubbed my hair.


"You look well dear. Are you hurt anywhere? Do I need to commit a murder? I will. You know I will."


"Calm down, Sela," said my father stepping into view. Her gaze softened at the endearment he saved only for her. His Sela, his one true love, the only one of his heart, in our language. After all those years together, their love was still visible.


"I found her apprehending a massive criminal actually! Can you believe it? She managed to catch the Dread Pirate The Drifter!"


"Oh, Yrma, I knew you had it in you! Ooh! I can't wait for Grn from the Poro sect to hear this! He keeps harping on and on about his wonderful daughter making officer rank... ugh! I knew you could do it if you tried."


Well then. This was getting difficult.


"Well, actually..." I started to say.


"Uh-oh. I know that look... what is it Yrma?" said mother, echoing my father from a moment ago.


"Well, it's just... I wasn't exactly... capturing him as, well... just holding him."


"Holding onto the dangerous criminal for dear life! Ha! That's my girl."


"Um, no. I..."


"Oh don't be shy Yrma! You did a good job! I'm so very proud of you. Imagine that! A whole Dread Pirate!"


"We should have captured his crew as well but they got away too quickly."


"Pity," mum remarked. "Well, I am very glad you're safe. You should come home with your father! You'll be just in time for your sister's engagement party. She'll be absolutely thrilled to have you there! See you soon!"


"Tridis is getting married?" I asked, bewildered when the holo feed went down.


"Oh, that's right! I forgot to tell you. She seems to have fallen for that dashing Berina diplomat that visited us the last time you were home. It seems it's to be a love-match! Although the Krivose Prince of Krivose I had been asking about her too. Well, too bad for him, I say! Nothing beats a good love match, eh?"


All of a sudden, my confession seemed hollow. I hadn't thought about my parents when I'd made my hasty departure. I had been young and terribly foolish. I had learned a lot in that time - specifically, the value of loyalty. Would declaring my love (romantic interest?) for a criminal betray my family?


"Oh, right. There was something you wanted to tell me, my dear?"


"Um... no. That's okay dad. I'll... I'll talk to you later."


He swept me up in another bear hug before heading back to his desk and to his work. My head full of thought, I left his quarters and headed back out of his quarters and into the hallway where my guards awaited my return to take me back to my room.


*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*


Exciting music played in the background of a familiar scene. Tilo was trapped in a case on a platform being raised beyond the protective dome of a game show. If she didn't answer correctly, he was going to be lifted right out of the building and into the harsh light of the midday sun that would burn him alive.


"So, for the all or nothing round, Yrmenisé, would you marry Tilo if you could?"


I knew the answer I would have given. I did. I tried to speak it now but my mouth wouldn't form any words. I touched my throat and it came away slick with blood. I looked down at my hands and then up at Tilo. He had a stricken look on his face, so far away from the easy smile he'd always sported.


"Oh, dear! That is the wrong answer. Tilo the Trengese hero, your disqualification stands! See you in the Beyond! And remember, don't hate the game, hate the player!"


I watched, helplessly as Tilo's cage rose. And then there was screaming... my screaming and then...


I woke from my bed with a start, meeting with darkness. I thought I might still be in that awful place but then, a moment later, the sensor lights came on.


I was in my quarters. I was on my dad's ship. I was going home for a party... and to witness Tilo's trial.


I slipped on a robe and stepped out into the hallway needing to walk and think. I kept my tracking bracelet on me in case I needed to find my way back.


Somehow, lost in my own thoughts, I ended up near the prison area. There was no guard about. Come to think of it, there wasn't a single guard in the hallway and there hadn't been my whole trip there. The ones stationed outside my room should have been there to escort me - and steer me away from the cells - and yet...


My stomach fell as I crept into the cell and saw it empty. Two of the guards were on the ground, unconscious.


Dad!


I ran from the cell heading up to where I remembered the bridge was. Off to the right, before the main passage to the central chamber, was the comms room. If I could get in there, maybe I could see what was going on and where everyone had gone.


Nobody was around. I couldn't see any evidence of anyone having been anywhere. A sinking feeling crept in as I made my way to the comms room which, much to my dismay, was empty as well. A few screens had been disconnected or destroyed. The rest told a rather grim tale.


The sins of the former Dread Pirate, Maren, The Drifter, had come back to haunt both Tilo and everyone on this ship. On the bridge proper, the hidden cameras showed a line of guards kneeling before a pacing man. He was large and stocky, tentacles stuck out of his torso and in one, he casually held what looked like a small gun. Surely, it couldn't be...


Tilo was tied to the captain's chair, looking gorgeous and enraged at the same time. I was pretty much on my own. I could also imagine why there was nobody around. The weapon in the invader's hand was a miniature mass disintegrator. If it was the one that had been used to murder Maren, it would have obliterated him completely. Any remaining matter would have also dissolved in moments leaving no evidence. It was a brilliant and fearsome weapon.


And it was currently being wielded by Amenisa, the deserter tho had left the Wanderer with several crewmen; Maren's murderer.


Perfect.


My father's ship was one of the most advanced in the galaxy; Parisinia Trulon VI, Rosetta Class Galleon. Being a tinkerer, knowing ships was my absolute speciality. This particular class of ship had several hidden rooms and tunnels, in case of just such an emergency.


The intruders would probably have had the advantage of time, but maybe not the advantage of learning every single facet of the ship. Most of that information was saved for ship-builders and the safety manual anyway. I had to count on that for this to work. A few of these hidden rooms opened up into the bridge to provide a quick entry and exit.


I had to plan this carefully.


From what I could see, Amenisa was pacing the bridge. His lackeys, a couple of whom wore our uniform, had their weapons trained on the prisoners. I was extra relieved to see my dad among them. That meant that he wasn't disintegrated yet. At least there was that.


I looked around. There had to be a room in here leading onto the bridge through a tunnel of sorts. It would have a very specific mark. I had to think. Since this was a Krivose ship, it would have to be something close to the Krivose. The King? Too many characters. The galaxy? Not that either. Peace? Most likely. And it was printed neatly on a panel behind the controller's chair. I pressed my finger onto it.


Behind me, a door swished open into a tunnel whose lights flicked on one by one.


Perfect.


*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*


"This, Captain, is where you die." Amenisa gloated and then I heard the click of a weapon. If I didn't act now, I wouldn't have to worry too much about Tilo's trial. We don't typically hold trials against the dead.


"For Krivose!" I heard one guard shout. That was the only chance I would get to surprise them. I shoved the door open and it sounded with a loud bang startling everyone on the main deck. I had calculated right. This door opened up right behind the prisoners. I aimed and fired at the nearest brigands taking them down one by one.


Amenisa watched me startled for only a moment before aiming his weapon at me. Tilo, who I'd noticed had been working on his poorly done bonds, tackled him to the ground; the shot went wide, dissipating against the burnished chrome of the wall. Thank goodness the weapon only disintegrated organic matter. The very last thing we needed was a large hole in the hull.


Around me, soldiers sprang to action and I rushed to undo my dad's bonds. He grabbed the nearest weapon and went to work on a few of his former captors. Before long, the situation was handled and we stood, safe, some wounded but mostly victorious.


I rushed to Tilo, jumping into his waiting arms and bringing my lips down on his in a long, lingering kiss. He grinned at me when we parted and I wrapped my arms around him in an embrace.


Behind us, someone cleared their throat. My normally light blue skin darkened by several shades to deep cerulean.


"Dad, I can explain."


"I'm sure you can, Rimi. But I don't want an explanation from you. I would like one from him," he said, turning his attention to Tilo. "Follow me, young man."


A few guards clapped me on the shoulders, commending my bravery and praising my quick thinking. I glanced worriedly over at Tilo and dad who were deep in conversation. My father listened as Tilo spoke, nodding every few seconds and asking a few questions here and there.


I had run out of casual actions to perform in trying not to look like I was eavesdropping. I still couldn't hear what they were saying, though.


Then dad turned and walked to me, his expression neutral.


"Yrma, Rimi, this young man tells me quite an interesting story... most importantly that he's apparently in love with you."


Tilo stepped beside me and took my hand.


"I was trying to tell you earlier when mum... and then... I'm sorry dad."


"Mh. For all my diplomacy, it seems I may need to work on my listening. Well, I suppose I should call you mother then, and ask her to add a seat at the table. We'll have a lot to celebrate."


"What about the trial?" I asked, worried.


"Yrmenisé... we do not arrest family, do we?" he said with a conspiratorial wink. He walked off and a few moments later, Tilo and I were alone on the bridge.


"So. Dinner at my place? Our house has an excellent view of the Kirian River and a gorgeous mountain range in the distance. We can probably invite your crew too."


"We'll see about the crew later. Right now, I have a question for you. Yrmenisé, I know we haven't known each other long, but I would like to change that. Will you be my girlfriend?"


"Try and stop me," I said, dragging his lips down to meet mine.

November 13, 2020 18:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.