2 comments

Science Fiction

Fate, defined in the dictionary as, "the development of events beyond a person's control".


It plays a part in a person's life whether they truly like it or not it's an unseen force that controls us.


Blake didn't like the word fate or anything related to the word. He preferred to be in charge at all times of what he was to do with his life. However the chances of him being the last one on earth was 1 out of 7.594 billion people. It didn't make any sense to him, out of all the people in the world why would an unseen force leave him alive.


Blake licked an ice cream he recently just made himself while walking around a super car sports dealer. He spent the first week online panicking wondering if anyone at all was online. The second week he slowly came to the fact everyone was gone and decided to venture out.


He observed a black sports car with golden rims that sparkled in the sunlight shining through the windows of the dealership. Finishing his ice cream he looked for the keys in an office area.


Finding them not too long after looking for them he started up the car and drove right through the window of the dealership gliding between cars parked on the road and stopping at a hill overlooking the town. Pulling out his phone again he decided to make a post again to see if anyone was out there, but then he decided no one would see it. Then again one more time wouldn't hurt he winced a little at this thought maybe he'd let "fate" decide. Even though he still had no believe in the unseen force.


Letting out a small breath and sitting on top of the car to get a better view of the city, he pulled out his phone once more and started a personal vlog.


“Hello, .  . . . .me” he chuckled while staring into the camera.


“So it’s been about 2 weeks and no sign of human life anywhere” he hopped off the roof of his sports car and panned the camera around it.


“I finally have the car I always wanted, as well as some pretty nice shoes”, he panned the camera downwards saying this.


“I’ll update this a little more, I plan on going to a special theme park I always wanted to visit.” he turned off his camera and noticed the sun was setting. Thinking that he should find a nice house to rest in he took another good look at the city and drove off in his car.


Fate was a word that Jasmin first thought of when she saw a new post on the online forums. Someone else beside herself was out there, she wasn’t the only one. She sat in shock for some time, thinking of what to say. Until finally she typed what first came to her mind, “and then there were two”. It sounded mysterious given the circumstances, but being dramatic was her thing. 


Blake was left in non-belief from seeing the message the next morning.  Questions fluttered in his mind. Why is someone just now seeing this?  Is it a girl or a boy? Where are they?


“Where are you located”. Was the question he typed to be sent, but that didn’t seem like enough. So he thought a second more and found a better question “Where are you located/where can we meet”. “Either this was a bot or a real person”, he thought to himself as he replied to the comment on the forum.


Jasmin heard a chime while filling her motorcycle with gas, her heart skipped a beat hearing it. Through her excitement she fumbled her phone and nudged the nozzle causing the gas to pour over her phone. A wave of emotions washed over her at once. Surprised at herself for being so careless, optimism that she could just get a new phone easily, and finally anger because she couldn't recall what forum or app she used to communicate with the only other person on earth. There wasn't much she could do about the mistake. It may have been a sign for her not to meet the stranger. Who knows the user could be. Putting her helmet on she started her motorcycle and drove off. At least she can still make it to the museum.


Blake looked at the gas mileage as he gunned the sports car down a long stretch of road. He knew these roads and there was a gas station at the next exit so it wasn't long before he took the exit and stopped at the gas station to fill up his car.


What caught his eye stepping out was a reflection of light from a bedazzled phone case on the other side of the pump he stopped at. Observing the gas covered phone he noticed fresh tire streaks going out onto the road. His heart began to flutter and a wave of happiness washed over him. It wasn't the route to the theme park, but this could be a sign of someone else being alive.Without a second thought he filled up his car and drove as fast as he could down the road.


The clouds began to darken the sky, luckily she made it just in time to the museum. It was her favorite place to go as a kid and just seeing the building brought joy to her face. The rain began to pour down as a storm outside began to brew. She felt somewhat guilty, she was enjoying this all by herself. Her mind went back to the text in the forum, she felt upset all over again. She walked to the artifact exhibit, it was always her favorite.


Blake was nearly blinded by the downpour of rain on his windshield. He decided to slow his speed and pull over in the next town he saw. Squinting his eye to see where he can go inside to get out of the rain he saw a museum on the left side of the road. He parked behind the motorcycle and rushed into the building. It was warm in the museum, he rubbed his feet on the floor mat and decided if he could find a gift shop. “Could be some food there”, he thought to himself as he straightened his jacket, shaking the rain off of him. 


Jennifer gazed at the artifacts deciding if she should take them out to touch or not, until she realized that since she's the only person. There wasn’t any need for her to pay for the stuffed dinosaurs in the gift shop. She unknowingly smiled at the thought and made her way to the gift shop.


Blake with a mouthful of beef jerky decided to play with the trinkets in the shop. He bit into another meat stick until he heard a ding from the gift shop's doorbell. He froze in complete surprise with only one question on his mind. What was that? Jennifer walking around the store shelves also froze in shock of what she saw. Without saying a word to each other they both had one phrase in their mind, “this must be fate”.

April 28, 2020 22:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Pranathi G
14:58 May 04, 2020

Nice story! Can you read my story and give me feedback on it? It's called, "THE TIME HAS COME." It's for the same contest. Thanks!

Reply

Rikui Louis
18:05 May 04, 2020

sounds great will do ^o^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.