5 comments

Coming of Age Fantasy Fiction

Birds and their beautiful chirping. The whispers of the light breeze. The silence of the tall trees. And among them stands a mystic stone. It can’t be called a monument as nothing seems written on it. It’s just a stone. A rock perhaps. Amid a beautiful forest on the Margalla hills of Islamabad. People usually use the track for hiking which runs alongside the stone. Often being ignored by the hikers. Yet to Mia, this stone has always fascinated her.

Nature itself has a soothing effect on the soul. This place holds something extraordinary. It is the beginning of autumn, in the mid of September 2000. The leaves are changing colors. Life seems to leave them. A new beginning is not far away. The icy coldness of winter has yet to come. But this moment is far more precious and absorbing. Mia, a girl in her late twenties, is hiking with her friend Hira. It’s 9 on Saturday morning, and only people who like to breathe nature are out on these beautiful hills.

The monotonous routine exhausts many, though some find nature a healer for their soul. It happens that Mia’s grandmother passed away last month. She had been very close to her. She had been through all these years an important part of her family. A year ago, at this place, near the same stone Mia and her grandmother stood observing the relics of this stone. Her grandmother used to say that each stone has some history. Some memory of the past civilizations. This has always interested Mia. As for her grandmother, she was the best to give historical references to the sights and ruins.

Just being inspired by such relics and stones she has taken Archeology as her major. The day she got admitted into this department, her grandmother gave her a beautiful bracelet made of stones. On asking, she told her that like her, she wanted to explore and study the relics of the stones and ruins. But, unfortunately, it didn’t, happen. She got married at an early age and her husband gifted her this. And since then she kept it.

Nature and her grandmother will always be dear to Mia. She may not be with her in this life anymore yet her positive influence will always stir her determination to fulfill her dreams. As for this place, it’s a living memory in her heart. It has a strange appeal.

After a good hike for almost an hour, Mia and Hira are sitting beside this stone when their eyes meet a strange old man sitting under a tree not so far away with a wooden stick trying to write down something on the ground. They both look at each other and the very next minute they are walking towards him to find out if that man needs any help. Though they are scared yet their footsteps are moving very much in that direction.

As soon as they reach him, they stop and look around them to see any escape root if they have to run, just in case. A thin path among the trees leads to the main road and that seems to be the one they can take. Meanwhile, the man notices these two girls and immediately picks up his brown cloth. It seems like some kind of blanket he uses at night to cover himself while asleep. He looks scared and avoids the girls.

“We are not here to harm you, please don’t run away. We are here to help if you need any.” Mia tries to stop him yet he runs while looking back at them.

Both of them decide to retreat. Maybe this man doesn’t need anyone. He wants to be alone. They start to walk back when they hear the footsteps behind them. They suddenly turn around and see the man standing right behind them. This time they are the ones who have got that scary feeling.

The man indeed seems to have reached old age. His hands shivering yet he manages to talk in a calm voice.

“Children, what do you want, why did you come to me? I do not meet with strangers.” He said with some elderly authority.

“We do not mean to harm, we thought you need help.” Mia’s confident voice silenced the man.

After a minute’s silence, the man walks back to the same place as before yet signals the girls to come over as well.

They both hesitate at first but then decide to follow him. On the way, Mia stays alert to her surroundings. Luckily few people are very much near them sitting on the stone benches for rest. The girls feel secure because they are not completely alone with this old man on the hiking track.

After settling down on the ground the man starts his tale.

“I am from the village nearby. My wife died last year and I have no children. I am a woodcutter and have sold wood to the locals in the village for their use. My back is bent by carrying wood in this blanket for years now. The only place that has been my companion is this and the stone is my old friend.

When my wife died I came here and cried bitterly because she was my hope, my light. Yet something strange happened. I found peace beside that stone. It seems it has some mystic power to heal, the comfort of a broken soul.

I watched you two sitting by it, I thought you might have lost someone, and the same feelings were transmitted to you by the stone. Is that so?” He asked looking at their astonished faces.

“Yes, I lost my grandmother recently. We used to come here. She was fond of discovering and studying the relics of stone and ruins. I think she felt the same as you did. I am inspired by her and this stone. I have come here to revive that beautiful memory.” Mia narrated softly with little sadness in her heart.

“So it did help you cherish the memory. You should come here often. This stone is a soul healer I tell you.” The man rejoices in this discovery. It seems the feeling of loneliness has vanished from his life.

He has found people who have suffered a loss like him. Mia too has felt the same. She and her friend really appreciate this old man’s courage to live all alone and work so hard. Days pass by and Mia’s visits to the hiking track and the stone have changed her completely. Often, visiting the stone she gets to meet this old man. Once she brought her father to meet him. He was really inspired by this man named Idris. He has offered him financial support and after much hesitation he accepted it. Mia is happy and maybe this is all because of this mystic place, people get to meet and help each other through their lives.

For sure Mia’s grandma will be satisfied with the act of goodness and kindness she has started to live a new life.

September 02, 2022 12:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Graham Kinross
04:01 Sep 07, 2022

The first few sentences feel incomplete. They feel like items in a list but you didn’t introduce the list. This is sweet. Visions of beautiful nature are life affirming. I can imagine it well as I read your story.

Reply

Urooj Aslam
06:15 Sep 07, 2022

Thank you for the feedback. Glad, you have pointed out something that I can improve on. Much appreciated.

Reply

Graham Kinross
07:39 Sep 07, 2022

No problem. Just keep writing. Never stop.

Reply

Urooj Aslam
11:25 Sep 07, 2022

Thanx.

Reply

Graham Kinross
12:20 Sep 07, 2022

You’re welcome

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.