1 comment

LGBTQ+ Gay

“I’m telling you, it’s not gonna work.” I said as I looked at the roulette.

“And I’m telling you it will” Thomas was stubborn as usual. 

The casino waas almost full and the roulette table was one of the main events. I still don’t know how Thomas managed to place a bet honestly. And to make things more interesting he placed it on zero. So typical of Thomas, doing reckless things, one day that man is gonna be in serious trouble for his actions. 

The croupier spun the wheel and everyone looked attentive, expecting for the ball to fall in their lucky number. Casinos sure are a weird place, people filled with hopes and illusions, others just having some fun. A place where a person could have the best or their worst day, endless emotions all in just one place. But for me the main event is the architecture, the ambientations, everything delicately set so that it invites people to stay longer, to lose more but always having a good time. One day, when I get to be a big name in the architecture community I’m gonna design a casino, it will be great, classy without losing comfort. People from around the world will come to the casino I designed. I can’t wait for that day to come.

“I’m just going to tell you that it’s not gonna happen” I just made sure that I would be able to tell him that I told him

“And I’m telling you it will”

“I still don’t understand, how can you be so sure?”

“It’s gonna happen because I said so”

“Thomas, that makes no sense, you'd have to be crazy to...”

I stopped mid sentence when an old lady in front of me told us to shut up. The wheel started to slow down as people became more attentive. Everyone became anxious as the ball approached the zero. Then, the unthinkable happened, the people sent some boos and everyone became disappointed, everyone except for one person. 

Thomas started clapping and jumping. Soon his cheerfulness was enough to make the people at the table a little merrier. I couldn’t believe it, how in hell did he manage that? There’s no question that Thomas is really an extremely lucky person, I’m still trying to figure out how that can be.

“So, where are we going next?” I asked, somehow I was still disappointed.

“I don’t know, I’m feeling lucky”

“You always are.”

“How funny, right?” He gave me that silly smile again, the smile that made me fall in love. “Let's go to the wheel of fortune. I’m feeling like I could get the jackpot.”

“You’re crazy right?”

“Yes I am” He exclaimed happily.

“You’re gonna regret this someday. Can we please just go home?” I was worried about him losing all his money, I know him well, and once he’s on a streak he won’t stop, he will make bigger and bigger bets without control.

“Then why did you ask me where I wanted to go?”

“Cuz I want you to have a good time, but remember the time when you lost almost everything.”

“That won’t happen today baby.” He grabbed my hand and dragged me to the wheel of fortune. 

“But why?” I complained

“Because I said so” When we arrived at the game, its bright light dragged everyone’s attention “All right, this is it. See,” he pointed at the big prize “also there’s no way that I lose all my money here because there’s a fixed price.”

I just gave him my dead eyes, he somehow always manages to find reasons to do whatever he wants.

“All right baby, ready to see me win the jackpot?”

“I sure am.” I smiled a little and grabbed his hand.

“Believe me, I’m gonna win.”

“I still don't know how you can always be so sure.”

“I’m gonna win because I said so. In life you’ve gotta be confident, if you don’t believe then it’s never gonna happen. That’s why everyone here keeps losing their money” He made a movement with his hand to point at everyone in the casino. “They come here knowing that they’re gonna lose and try to convince themselves that it's not about winning or losing, but about having a good time. Yet, when they leave they’re not as happy as they thought they would be.”

“Don’t say that about them, you can’t possibly know what’s going on in their minds, let alone, in their lives.” I think I killed the mood because Thomas seemed completely serious. 

“Anyway, I know I’m gonna win this, so watch babe” He smiled again as he pulled the lever and the wheel started its usual spin. 

Some people stopped to see if he won the prize. The wheel’s speed decreased and as everyone observed the jackpot made itself visible the people stared, expecting. The heartbeats of the people were almost audible and it felt as if time stopped for a moment. Finally after some seconds that seemed to last forever the wheel stopped. Right in the jackpot, as Thomas had stated. People could not believe it and they just stood there for a few moments before they started jumping and congratulating Thomas for getting the big prize. 

I could not believe it. It’s as if he had some kind of gift. Since I’ve known him it’s always been like this, whatever he sets his mind on he gets it. If only he proposed himself to start a business or something, but he just trusts in his amazing luck. One day it’s going to fail him, again. 

It happened a couple years ago, he was gambling again. He made a silly bet on poker betting me that he would win. But it didn’t happen, he was so mad, I thought that he would stop gambling after that incident, but he didn’t, he just told me that some days you have bad luck and continued as always. 

The crowd continued to cheer up on Thomas, shaking his hand, giving him pats on the back, even hugging him. At some points some random girls started flirting with him, of course I didn’t expect Thomas to pay attention to them. As far as I know he has always been loyal, and from what I heard he only has eyes for me. But to my surprise the idiot started talking to the girls, smiling and whispering in his ears.

I approached him and took his arm “”Well, congratulations. Can we go home now?”.

He grabbed me from the waist. “C’mon, don’t ruin the fun, the night’s still young.”

“Dude, it’s almost midnight, and you know I have to go to work tomorrow.”

“Then don’t go, call in sick. Besides, why do you keep working, here” He gave me some chips. “Listen, we don't have to work anymore.”

Now I was really mad. I tossed the coins and one of the girls started picking them. “You know I care about my job, you know what I want and all the effort I’ve put into getting to where I am now. I’m not leaving my job just because you say so.And you can’t buy me, you can’t buy my love” I turned and started walking away.

Thomas hurried and grabbed my arm.”Where are you going? You can’t go, you can’t leave me.”

“Yes I can, and I will” I got my arm free.

“No! You can’t” It had turned to the point of him throwing a tantrum.

“You can’t stop me. Why do you think I would ever stay with you.”

“Cuz I said so.”

I approached him until we were face to face “Don’t you ever think that’s gonna work with me. I’m not some prize I can win alright. What I do depends on me and only me.”

“You can’t leave me.”

“Too bad because I’m doing it.” I started walking away.

“No one will love you like I do Ethan.” He shouted from the distance. 

“I sure hope that.” I replied as I left the place, this time forever.

May 17, 2021 14:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Iris Orona
16:33 May 24, 2021

LOVE IS NEVER EASY UNLESS YOU HAVE THE RIGHT PERSON FOR YOU..

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.