Painting the Roses Red

Submitted into Contest #86 in response to: Set your story at a park during a spring festival.... view prompt

2 comments

Fiction Adventure Horror

The gray walls of his basement closed in on me as the door slammed opened. My ex-boyfriend had kept me here for three months. We broke up a year ago. He just showed up at my house and took me to his. My throat was raw from the screaming as I fought to get him away from me. It did not work. He tossed down an A-line white lace dress.

"Put it on!" A cold familiar voice ordered. " And get cleaned up. We are going to a festival. You try to leave me, you die." He laughed cruelly as he slammed the door shut.

The cold water shocked my skin as I cleaned up the best I could with the cheap shampoo and soap. Drying off, I put on the dress. While it was pretty, it just felt wrong. I could use this as an escape. Solemnly, I walked up the stairs ands knocked weakly. It had been a week since he last fed me. Something about getting me getting fat was his excuse. Roughly, he carried me into the black van and tossed me in like yesterdays' trash. We drove for an hour and finally he stopped. A pair of white flats hit my head as he laughed evilly.

"I have to piss! Wait for me." He threatened cruelly. "Or you will die." My heart sank in fear. Hopefully there was a cop outside to help me. It would be better than this Hell. The sound of a happy bustling crowd teased me. My mind raced as I realized something.

He left his black van unlocked. This was my chance, I simply had to take. Cautiously sliding the heavy door open, I hopped out. The sun blinded me as I have been in a basement for three months. I looked around. My heart started to beat faster as we both stopped to look at each other. His face filled with annoyance and fury. Without thinking, I took off running. At first my legs were jelly as I nearly fell a couple of times. My bare feet cried in agony as I stepped on a sharp rock, twisting my ankle. Panicking, I ignored it as my lungs burned. Come on, girl. You have to keep running, or he will get you. He was behind me. I could hear him running, so I spotted the park. People were bustling through the White Rose Festival. Without looking back, I ran into the thick of the crowd. Cussing he went into the opposite directions. Sighing a sigh of relief, I ran into a tall dark haired man about my age. I crashed to the ground on my butt. My white lacy dress had a grass stain now. My long brown hair flew everywhere as my ankle ached dully. Chuckling he ran his hand through his long hair. His brown eyes glistened with excitement. His hand reached out to me. My face flushing red, I accepted his offer.

"Mindy, is that you?" He asked curiously. It's been years." This time his face flushed red. He had on a black t-shirt and blue jeans. His famous brown cowboy boots adorned his feet. Truthfully it had been since high school. Once upon a time we had been those two friends who did everything together. We had tried to stick together, but life got in the way.

"Yes, Xavier." I said nervously tucking my hair behind ears. My brown eyes were lighting up with joy. Well that was until, I saw him. My ex-boyfriend was sprinting towards me with his green eyes widened with fury. His blonde hair was a birds nest as his black clothes stood out. His face was beat red as his fist were clenched. The white roses flailed in his intense energy.

"Mindy, you are mine!" He bellowed as he grabbed my arm. "Let's go!" I pulled back but he just gripped harder. Pain shot through my body as he twisted my trick wrist. Big fat tears were welling up in eyes. Xavier pulled me into his large warm arms.

"She belongs to no one." He scolded with a ferocious look on his face. "Clearly, she was running from you." A large crowd started to gather around us. The women looked angry and uncomfortable as the men stood in defensive positions. A officer came through the crowd as he approached us.

"Is there a problem here?" The officer inquired coolly. "Ma'am are you okay?" I opened my mouth to speak, but my ex-boyfriend got up with fury burning through him. Something glinted in his hand menacingly. Slowly he raised it and ran towards me.

"If I can't have you, no one can." He declared firmly. How was he not out of breath? He was inches away from me as Xavier spun around and got stabbed in the leg. Warm red blood started to dye my dress red. Xavier shouted in pain as his fist broke my ex's nose. My ex held his nose as blood poured down his face. The officer tackled my ex to the ground with a loud thud and cuffed his hands and feet. He rolled around in the grass cussing as I sat Xavier on the ground. The white roses around us were splattered red. Sirens could be heard all around as an ambulance arrived. The officer was throwing my ex into a blue and gray cop car. They sat him in the back and bandaged him up right quick. Luckily the wound was only flesh deep. Xavier would be okay. The officer told me to come to the station tomorrow morning after the EMT finally gave me the green light. They said I was slightly malnourished and dehydrated. I was otherwise unharmed.

"I don't know if this is a bad time, but would you like to go on a date?" He squeaked out with a ruby red face. "We can get out of here, or just walk around." Shaking my head, I giggled to myself. Of course, he was asking. Sniffling, I embraced him with a tight hug.

"I did just let you paint the roses red." I teased back gently. "How about a hot dog? Somewhere away from here. Honestly if I never see a white rose again, I will be happy." Smiling like a child who just the biggest bar of chocolate, he limped away with me in his arms. I was finally free and I really did just want a hot dog, or any food.

March 22, 2021 20:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Emma Harris
04:21 Mar 30, 2021

That was quite well written! It's just my type of story. The creativity was great and the name was a wonderful title to hook you in!

Reply

Yvette Francaise
19:04 Apr 14, 2021

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.