0 comments

Adventure Fiction Drama

The one thing David has always wanted is a decent camera.

David is full of excitement he is going on holiday to Inverness. They fly from London Heathrow to Inverness. David is full of excitement, but keeps on reminding his paremts that he wants a new camera that is decent. But unbeknown to him they have bought him a new camera at Heathrow.

They arrive at Inverness airport and catch the bus to Inverness. They book into the hotel, David loves Inverness, the clean fresh air and the scenery, wow the scenery. If only he had a decent camera, Dad announces that they are going to Perth on the train tomorrow morning.

Next morning they all catch the train to Perth. On the train Mum gives David a surprise. He opens the box to find a brand new Cannon Camera, fully charged. David goes running about the train taking photographs. 

One man takes David’s attention he has his hand in a bag. David sets up the camera to photograph the man he looks like a good subject. Just as he is about to take the photograph the man moves the open bag towards David, he takes the photograph and turns away, to check his photograph to see what looks like a bomb in the bag,

David turns around to see the man sliding the bag under his seat. The train announcer tells the passengers that they are approaching Aviemore station. David runs back to mum and dad.

‘Mum, Dad I think I saw a man with a bomb in the next carriage he is about to leave the train at Aviemore.

Mum and Dad both burst out laughing, ‘The train stops at Aviemore for five minutes, get off the train and take his photograph,’ says Dad.

‘I will,’ says a determined David after being laughed at.

The train stops at Aviemore, David is first off of the train, looking for the man who had the bomb. He sees the man and takes his photograph, only this time the man sees him. The man runs towards David who turns quickly and jumps back on to the train. He is careful to keep away from the carriage with the bomb in. David runs towards his parent’s seat in the next carriage, he glances behind him to see the man struggling to get into the carriage with passengers with luggage. But the man finds a way past. Ther doors close on the train and it leaves Aviemore station gathering speed.

A minute later the bomb explodes. The carriage with the bomb is totally destroyed. The rest of the carriages are still intact but they have left the railway tracks. Both David and the man chasing him lose their balance and fall into the aisle through the carriage. As soon as the carriage comes to a stop David is on his feet and running again. He runs past his parent’s seats. He does not want to endanger them so he keeps on running as fast as he can and hides behind a pile of suitcases that have all fallen off of the luggage racks.

The man starts to look everywhere in the carriage for David. Methodically searching the carriage. He gets close to David. David crawls out from the pile of suitcases and gets out of the open carriage door, he jumps down onto the track, keeping his camera safe. No services have reached the train yet, David takes a chance climbs over a fence, and runs into the trees. Hides in a bush.

David keeps very quiet and watches, he sees the man jump down from the train followed by his dad. The man does not seem very sure of where to go, he is looking about. Dad starts walking about shouting ‘David, where are you?’

The man listens to Dad calling out, takes a knife out, walks over to Dad, and calmly puts the knife against his throat.

‘David come out now. If you do not your dad dies.’

Dad is terrified, he thought the bomb that David had seen was his imagination, but it wasn’t and he sent him to take a photograph of the man who turned out to be the bomber. How wrong can you be?

David keeps completely still, he is terrified but very calm, if he does not show himself his dad will be dead. If he comes out the man may take the camera and still kill his dad and him. David thinks if I keep quiet then he will think I have got way.

In the distance, sirens can be heard as the emergency services respond to the bomb attack. The arrival of the emergency services causes a problem for the man. He quickly puts the knife away and walks towards the carriage that he had bombed and starts to help with the injured.

David watches the man walk towards the carriage he bombed. Then start to assist with the injured. His Dad has not realised that the man threatening him has moved and he is no longer under any threat. After hiding his camera in the bush burying it under the dead leaves, and uses a stick to point to the hiding place. He starts to walk towards the crash site. Reaches his Dad.

‘Dad do not be startled it’s me David, the bomber has gone. Do not move quickly. I am going to see if mum is okay.’

‘Thanks son,’ replies Dad quietly.

He walks to the carriage where mum was sitting but could not see any sign of her. Climbing into the carriage that was bombed is very difficult, but on getting into the carriage he sees mum and the bomber helping an injured man. By now the emergency services have arrived and are swarming all over the train. David keeps a wary eye on the man who exploded the bomb.

A paramedic comes up to David to ask if he is okay. David asks where he can find the police. ‘They are just arriving; you should find them over by those trees near to the fence.’

‘Thank you,’ replies David.

He walks over towards the trees slowly and asks to speak to the head police person. He explains what has happened and where his camera is.

‘You mean the bomber is helping the injured people he blew up?’

‘Yes, I do not want to point, he has already threatened to kill my dad.’

‘Tell you what we are going to secure the site, when the officer gets to the trees he can retrieve the camera, just sit here quietly. Ewe do not know what other tricks the bomber has up his sleeve.’

David sat and waited while the policeman walked around putting up the tape. When he reached the trees, he vanished for a minute and reappeared carrying the bag with the camera in. Eventually he got back to David.

‘Come with me and show me your photographs.’ The policeman lead David away from the crash scene. Hidden by the trees, he gave the camera to David. ‘Now show me what you have got. He turned on the camera, and showed the photographs to the policeman.

‘We have our bomber and enough evidence to send him to jail for a long time.’

The policeman got four other policemen and showed them the picture of the bomber. ‘I have seen him he is helping the injured in the crash site,’ said one of the PCs.

‘We need to be careful he is working with the injured and dead, let’s set up a trap for him,’ said the policemen.

A few minutes later David walked into the crash site with his camera. As soon as the bomber saw him he stood up and excused himself. Started walking towards David. David turned tail and started to run up the field heading for a corpse of trees. The bomber although fit was not as fast as David.

The bomber ran straight into the copse of trees straight into the arms of the five policemen. Once the policemen had the bomber in handcuffs and called for a car to take him to Aviemore police station. They turned their attention to David. They thanked him. Then took him back to his mum and dad who were very glad to see him.

‘Dad, can I have another camera, the police have taken my new one for evidence, and I won’t get it back for at least six months.’

April 05, 2024 18:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.