16 comments

Romance

Have you ever been in love?

As a girl who wished to grow up into a lady and possibly, a mother, have you in a moment thought of seeing yourself in that white balloon gown, slits or fitted?

Have you imagined for a second how you'd want your wedding day to be? Invitation of friends and well-wishers.? You, beautifully dressed with your face coated with all manner of makeups?

You, hearing people call you akwanwa!

Ugegbe oyibo! The latest bride in town?

If all these and more have in one way or the other filled your head then you know exactly what am talking about.

One of the happiest day of any lady's life is her "wedding day"

This is my story...

I'm Lola a beautiful girl with a heart of gold.

Judge me if you want to, say all you want to say but it will never deter me from going further. Growing up, I have always been worried for victims of broken relationships. Sometimes it's not that either of the captains ( the man or woman) is inexperienced to keep the SHIP sailing. The problem is that *discipline* has lost the address. It could be forces from home (internal) it could be external.

But the bitter truth is, no one knows you better than your own*

Andre, yes, him. The man of my dream, he whose presence matters the most to me. After God, my family, he was next! I could kill a lion with my bare hands if I had to prove how much he meant to me.

He was my everyday crush, my soulmate, my confidant and he was just the air I breathe.

What more can I say? We met at a friend's birthday party in Los Angeles and that was how the love kindled. I was scared at first, hope my story won't be like that of aunt Elina?

My aunt from my paternal hometown. Who gave her life, love and her whole being for the love of her life, Mr Rufus. She dated him for twenty years and after fore fitting schooling just to help him complete his education and grow his electronics business, just at the eleventh hour, he dumped her!

The earth refused to open for her to sink her face in it. She could barely recognize her own self. Aunt Elena became a shadow of herself and till date, has refused to go by ship*

My fear was not to have a sad ending. I wanted a fairy tale.

# happily ever after#

As time went by, Andre and I became so fond of each other that you could mistake him to be my brother or in a way, blood related to me.

In school, we were called "twins" people around our neighborhood were always singing praises of our undying love for each other. It was a beautiful experience and to be honest, I couldn't wait for me to be called his *wife* I wake up each day to pray so this become a reality. I want the story to be like that which was said...

"And they became happily ever after!"

Yes, sailing of the ship, it was a difficult one though, because we both were two different people from different backgrounds and so, the chances of misunderstanding was there. We could qurell, disagree with each other's opinions at times and even stay apart for months without communications. Yes, all these happened but instead of breaking us, it made us stronger and we sailed on!

I was getting more fascinated and wished to hear him say... I will.... Marry you!

After some years, approximately, three years of relationship, Andre spoke up! "I will like to meet your people"

Your mum especially, let me congratulate her and thank her for bringing you to this world! These and more were the sweet words he said to me.

It was May 1st, 2018, we boarded a flight down to Nigeria to see my parents. Lo and behold!

My mum knew him long ago before I did. The story I couldn't tell but the warm reception given to him by my mum said it all. I was blinded by love and trusted my spouse with my life he wouldn't do anything to hurt me. I wore that garment of trust and believe. It was heavy on me though, but I had to wear it and keep sailing.

After some months of the courtesy visit? I also returned the gesture by going with Andre to Ghana where his parents based. He was a mixed breed.

His father was a Ghanaian while his mum was a Nigerian. Unlike me, my both parents were Nigerians.

It was indeed a heart warming reception. I was really entertained and was honored in respective of the fact, it was my first visit after three years of relationship with Andre.

You should know mothers better when it comes to things like this*

She called me out on one evenings after supper. That was a day before our travelling back to Los Angeles.

She said so many things a mother will say just to protect her son's image and also ensure her child's happiness.

Of course, every mother wants the best for her child. I guess my mum skipped that page in the book' she didn't read it or maybe she did but didn't understand. It all went well, my visit to my in-laws to be was indeed awesome and seriously, I felt I was married into the family already.

This love sailing continued for some months again, getting to another year.

And boom! 💣

Andre proposed to me. That fateful day, I could see the smile in his face I could read his mind he was really ready to be called my husband.

But what happened?

What went wrong?

How did it all happened?

Wedding! Wedding !

Yes, my dream is finally coming through I couldn't but sing and dance for I, Lola will be addressed as *Mrs Andre Williams in a couple of months.

Mum received the news yes she did I knew she was happy or would I be wrong to think a mother wouldn't be happy to see her grown daughter getting married to the man of her dream? No, right?

******

It was October 1st 2019* the D-day

At St Thomas Anglican Church the church was filled to the bream with friends, families and well-wishers .

I could see the smile in my mum's face looking towards Andre's direction. We were yet to be joined together as man and wife so the sitting positions were different. I reluctantly, seek for her attention too I also wanted her to smile at my direction.

Just! Just twenty minutes to I do!

Andre was off his sitting position, mum? Mum was out of sight and dad? He was busy listening to the clergy. Mum and Andre at the balcony, KISSING. The kiss was "passionate"

Oh no! Mum! I screamed! 😱

JUST TWENTY MINUTES TO I DO?

July 25, 2020 15:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

16 comments

נιмму 🤎
17:38 Jul 28, 2020

this mom is a bitch what kind of mother does this to there own daughter like !!!!! This story inflicts a lot of emotion especially anger towards the mother for me but it is good to always have your reader emotionally involved so great job at doing that! Also, the first sentence really grabbed my attention. I have not nor have I ever imagined myself getting married but still the rhetorical questions of writing is mwah! (?)

Reply

Abigail Slimzy
18:03 Jul 28, 2020

Smiles. Thanks so much for your comment it means a lot to me. I really appreciate your time .

Reply

נιмму 🤎
19:50 Jul 28, 2020

of course :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lata B
16:12 Jul 25, 2020

This was fun to read!!

Reply

Abigail Slimzy
16:23 Jul 25, 2020

Thanks dear....

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Thom With An H
23:07 Aug 06, 2020

I knew what was coming because I knew the prompt and yet Lola was so compelling I hoped maybe Andre would change his mind. That’s good writing. There are some spelling and grammatical errors but overall a fine read. I’d love it if you could look at mine and tell me what you think.

Reply

Abigail Slimzy
19:53 Aug 07, 2020

Thanks for your time. I will check out yours.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nancy Drayce
16:25 Jul 26, 2020

Poor girl, all she ever wanted was ruined... 😣 Great story! Awesome job! 💜✨

Reply

Abigail Slimzy
13:49 Jul 27, 2020

Thanks so much Nancy for making out time to read. 🙏

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Abigail Slimzy
10:17 Jul 26, 2020

What will be your reaction if you were in Lola's shoes?

Reply

נιмму 🤎
17:37 Jul 28, 2020

I'd beat up a bitch bahahhhaa

Reply

Abigail Slimzy
18:05 Jul 28, 2020

Hahahaha... My dear it's painful.

Reply

נιмму 🤎
19:49 Jul 28, 2020

I can't even begin to imagine

Reply

Abigail Slimzy
20:30 Jul 28, 2020

smiling! my dear, you can say that again.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Keerththan 😀
06:05 Sep 10, 2020

That was a wonderful read. Nice story. Would you mind reading my new story? Thanks.

Reply

Abigail Slimzy
20:43 Sep 10, 2020

Thanks dear

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.