0 comments

Teens & Young Adult

Competition entry week 2

As the snow continued into its second week 14 year-old Fran Thomas gave a heavy sigh.

“ When will it all end?” she said, forgetting that no one else was home. She looked at the snowman that she had helped her brother Simon to build and had to admit it was quite impressive. Her school work was up to date even though she had been unable to get in for what seemed like forever. She missed her friends.  All of a sudden the days had a massive great gap in them. They all lived in bonnie Scotland so getting together was nigh on impossible.

Then it came to her;  due to the weather she had hardly seen her grandparents for the last two weeks. Actually although she would not admit it she had not seen them at all. That was a real conscience pricker. So putting on her make up and choosing a suitable jumper (a girl must always look her best, you just never know!) she grabbed her hat, her very thick coat and gloves and she was ready. She scribbled a quick note for her parents, picked up her keys and she was on her way. Her grandparents lived on an estate about half a mile away so the journey was fairly stress free.

As she turned into their drive she took a deep breath in shock. There was a massive mountain of snow and ice that no-one had cleared. Fran just hoped and prayed they had stayed in-doors. It was an accident waiting to happen. But not to worry, she was onto it. She waved through the window at her grandparents, opened the garage door, grabbed a shovel and began. The snow had stopped for now but it took a good hour to make the drive safe. As she drank hot chocolate and demolished a toasted tea cake, she was appalled to hear that her grandparents had been unable to get their pension or any food. They had managed but were getting very worried. Fran checked her pockets, she had her purse with her. There was only so many times one could say sorry; it was time to give practical help. Looking at the list she had written she was saddened. They were not planning a banquet, this was only everyday essentials - milk, bread, tea, eggs.

 How could people be allowed to live like this?, Fran wondered to herself as she waited for the bus home from the shopping.  And how many others were affected? She could not leave it. She needed to reassure herself that this was a one off and that other people on her grandparents estate were managing. While dropping off the shopping at her grandparents Fran had told them of her fears. Instead of reassurance she got the whole story about their struggling for money and just how tough life was. Fran had heard enough; the practical side of her nature kicked in. After a phone call to her brother telling him to get his butt over there straight away, she went outside and started knocking on doors, she gob smacked she heard what they had to say.

No time to waste, straight down to work, first things first!  She wanted a set of ‘before and after’ photos. Her brother Simon had arrived, and after a sulk about payment, had shovel in hand and was clearing drives and spreading salt. Fran collected some shopping lists from the neighbours. It was going to be a long afternoon and would need several bus trips for all the shopping. Stuff that Fran grizzled her parents could pay for the shopping and a taxi. In truth it was their fault her grandparents had come to this. With that, after a quick check on her brother, she was on her way. After what seemed like forever she returned to the estate. Armed with labelled bags of essential shopping she began her deliveries. Some of the older residents could not bend down to put the groceries away so Fran’s brother Simon was given that task. Careful to give each house its own receipt Fran explained that until the weather improved they should just keep hold of it and she would sort it when they could get their pension. Fran was meticulous in taking delivery photos.

Then she had a thought.  As soon as she got home she made straight for her room and her trusted laptop. Come on old girl, she urged, you and I have work to do.  She put photos and the story on various web sites and Fran called it a day. A quick bowl of hot soup later and she went straight to bed. She was exhausted.

She was awake by eight next morning. Her mind was ready for action stations. It was just a pity her body had other plans. Being a creature of habit, it was shower, porridge, cup of tea and then back to work. Fran was a bit concerned when her laptop took so long to load. She soon found out why. She had quite innocently asked her friends to nominate five other people to help 3 old people. It had gone absolutely nuts;  300 replies and growing all the time. She looked at all the pictures of clean drives and shopping bags and felt an enormous sense of pride and achievement. She was ready in record time more good deeds to be done.

Fran’s father had taken the news of his cash contribution quite well in the circumstance. Once she had him feeling guilty, the rest was simple. She decided the first thing to do was to say hello to the catalyst of all this…her grandparents. To say she got a warm welcome is wrong;it was smouldering. She could not remember seeing them look so relaxed and happy. They had received several phone calls last night so she picked up her to do list, borrowed the spade and set about her day. It had stopped snowing but that didn’t help as  there was so much ice. She needed proper salt, but nowhere had any left. She eventually found some but the price was way over her range.  OK, it was time to work the Thomas charm. Reaching into her pocket she took out her phone, she then proceeded to show the very nice manager the pictures from yesterday. Explaining why she needed salt, the manager gave her 5 big bags free. Once he found it was for the community Fran was on a winner.

Then, drives finished, and shopping delivered for five more residents, Fran skipped home. She was on such a high again, she had not had so much fun in years. As soon as she logged on she realised her day had only just begun, it was about to become a whole lot busier. She was bombarded with e-mails, messages and phone calls. It was mind-blowing. Never at any stage though did this young girl from Scotland doubt herself in anyway. All she did was promise herself that in a couple of days when people got bored she would have a duvet day.

The photos and the messages she had received brought a tear to her eye. All these young people with goodness in their hearts. There were photos of grateful people holding essential shopping, drives swept clear of snow, pledges of help, both practical and financial. But the one that made Fran stop for two minutes was a big hand-made thank you card from her grandparents and their neighbours. Fran had set a ball rolling and it was gathering pace alarmingly. She made a file and stored all the correspondence, including photos of evidence, away safely. Next she phoned all the people who were offering groceries. She really needed this to keep things moving. She created a bank account for all the offers of finance. Fran let out a long sigh; this was far bigger than intended but she must keep going because people needed her. But she needed help. The messages were coming faster than ever but, just as she was about to scream, the phone rang. It was the local press wanting to do an interview.  Fran was bowled over, and then she realised they could help. If she handled this well they could provide the contacts that she needed. It just needed a bit of give and take, Fran told herself.

She spent the rest of the evening rehearsing what she wanted to say to the paper. The bottom line was, she told herself, it was only going to be a couple of lines. But a girl must be prepared, and look her best. So with her phone charged and her favourite jumper on, she caught the bus into town. She arrived at the office in plenty of time and was soon given a hot drink and plate of biscuits. The interview took longer than she expected but Fran found herself with so much to say and listen to it flew by. She felt like a model[DC1]  when they asked for her photo. Her phone, although on silent, buzzed the whole time, from what she could see there were now 20,000 people up and down the country following her and, it seemed like,   waiting for instruction. She prayed the paper would be able to help. There was a message from local radio. Could she come in for a chat? Err hello, how quickly? thought Fran. She had a couple of hours to wait so she engaged in some window shopping. Fran could not believe how many strangers smiled at her and even shook her hand as they thanked her. She happened to mention all the publicity and before she knew it a local hairdresser was giving her a free makeover. She felt like royalty and, in truth, looked like it. The radio interview went in a flash. She thought she would have been nervous but not a bit of it. She was talking about a subject she felt strongly about so she had no time for nerves. When Fran got home her parents greeted her warmly before sitting her down. Her father explained the day had been manic. The house phone had never stopped ringing with people wanting a piece of Fran’s time. She had several meetings over the next few days all neatly listed by her mother. There were envelopes all around, all with her name on. Her dad looked his daughter full in the eye. “This is massive, Fran. Are you sure you’re ok with that?”

“It’s the right thing to do, Dad. People obviously need me.”

“There is no arguing there”, her father smiled. “The press have rung and they have several people eager to help you. Your mother and I have decided that if this is going to go smoothly we both need to help out for a few days. We have some time owing so is that ok?”.

Her mother joined in, “You see, you can only be in one place at a time. You have people who want to meet you, talk to you. You need us to keep things organised.”  

Fran was so pleased at what she had heard that she gave a skip of joy. She quickly checked the figure.  Ten thousand people had signed up in the U.K alone. That was a magnificent thirty thousand old people getting extra help.

Next morning Fran checked her list of places to be. There were a couple of supermarkets she needed to thank in person for their donations. People wanted to know her thoughts and  plans. Fran shrugged her shoulders. Errr, give me a clue, she thought. Bacon sandwich in hand she checked her makeup and shouted goodbye. The buzz of the new challenge was kicking in again. Exhausted? nah not me.

Halfway through the morning Fran’s phone rang. It was her dad.

“I am coming to pick you up.” He sounded excited.  “You have about an hour. The TV want to ask you some questions.”

Fran dropped her phone in shock. OH MY GOD! I am going to be a film star!

As they drove to the studio she was given instructions on protocol by her dad. He was more excited than she was. On arrival Fran was taken into a room and spent a good hour answering questions about the whole adventure. How did it start? Why did it start? How did she feel? and, the dreaded question, What were her plans for the future? The reporter took notes the whole time and eventually she looked Fran in the eye.

“This wont be easy,” she began, “they can be brutal. Are you sure you want this?”

Quite speechless Fran could merely nod and say very quietly, “Yes I think so.”

The young 14-year-old was given a chance to gather her thoughts for a full half hour. What did not help was her mum ringing to tell her the national press wanted an interview in the morning.

The T.V interview went well. Fran went into a world of her own. She gave no thought to the thousands at home watching the local news she just told the story as it was. That’s all she knew. What made her gasp though, was when the presenter told her that across Europe over sixty thousand people were taking part in her scheme.

The following day was chaotic and exciting even by her own standards. The local press and radio were now giving daily updates on totals, and on what Fran was doing that day. Dressed up and feeling a million dollars Fran gave the national press a full account on her feelings and expectations. What amazed her was, it was not just our own national press but the whole of Europe’s press wanted a piece of the action. As Fran herself reminded them this all started with a bit of snow and a hungry pensioner.

And then the inevitable seemed to happen. She received perhaps the most important call of her life. No time for nerves or second thoughts, the national news wanted to record an interview ready for that night. Fran and her family let out the biggest scream you have ever heard. They were in a fantasy world.

Standing in front of a microphone in front of a top level journalist, and with millions of people across Europe hanging on her every word, Fran began. She had no time for any notes. This was just her, as it should be, from the heart. She was fine, until the journalist asked the all-important question.

“Where do you see all this going?”

Fran reminded the millions of viewing public that she was not a politician, and her maths was hopeless, but surely, if the Government and business owners got together surely they could agree a yearly figure so old people had some shopping bought for them. They deserved better than to be left hungry, and surely we as a nation had a moral obligation. She then stunned viewers by suggesting that surely every working person above a certain salary could donate £1 a week that would be a start. If their wage would not cover that then there needed to be serious questions why not.  I ask every one of my followers to help me make this happen. Push and shove till we get what we want. At this moment the TV crew and millions across Britain got to their feet and applauded this wonderful 14 year old.

Whatever happened it was clear to see. Little Fran Thomas from bonnie Scotland had arrived.  She was a star.

February 11, 2021 18:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.