0 comments

Fiction Teens & Young Adult

Her business meeting was in less than 15 minutes. She was not going to be late. She was determined to arrive first. 

“Hey Ari! Are you excited?” Jocelyn called as she scurried up beside her.

“Not in the least bit, if I’m being honest. But this is my chance.” 

“You should be. You never talk in the meetings, or even at lunches. I’m just grateful you’re finally coming out of that little shell of yours.” Jocelyn opened the door and nearly pushed Ari inside. The clickity-clack of their quick-moving heels echoed through the stairway. Ari wasn’t the type to openly speak her mind. What happened in her head should stay there, she believed. The door was closed, which meant nobody was inside yet. Ari forced her coffee into Jocelyn’s empty hands, then proceeded to smooth out her beige pantsuit. 

This is my moment to finally be heard.” She thought to herself as she finally opened the closed door. Ari’s straight back with perfect posture slumped as she entered the room. Her confidence had vanished because Jaden Smith, the office suck-up, beat her to Mr. Cephalo’s office. The two men were laughing and discussing Jaden’s plan. 

“This is a fantastic idea, Smith!” Mr. Cephalo smiled.

“Thank you, sir. I’m grateful to have the opportunity to work alongside you and the upper staff.”

  “Bah! Don’t be so formal. Call me Michael.”

  “‘Call me Michael?’ That should be me sitting in Smith’s seat. That should be me laughing it up with Mr. Cephalo. Or Michael, I guess.” Ari was skilled at keeping her opinion to herself but her facial expressions said it all.

“Is there something wrong, Ms. Wilkins?” Mr. Cephalo inquired. And of course Smith had to add on. 

“Yes, what’s troubling you, Adriana?” 

“Nothing, Mr. Cephalo. Also, Jayden, it’s-”

“Could you refer to me as Mr. Smith, please?

“Could you refer to me by my actual name?” Ari snapped back. “It’s Ariana. Not Adriana. And you know that. Why do you pretend like you don’t know my name when you do, Jayden.” Jayden opened his mouth to reply, but Ari interrupted. “No, don’t bother.”

“What’s gotten into you today, Ms. Wilkins?” Mr. Cephalo was flabbergasted.

“You asked for me to be more collaborative, correct? I’m tired of being silent all the time. I was coming here to deliver my ideas to you, but you already selected Smith.” Jayden was about to interject, but Cephalo gestured for him not to.

“Maybe you two could work together.” The two coworkers quickly made eye contact, then shook their heads “no” in unison.

“Sir, I don’t think that would be a good idea.” Ari looked down and fiddled with her thumbs.

“For a number of reasons, Michael.” Ari wanted to respond, but her pang of confidence quickly disappeared.

“I think you can stop with all the ‘Michael’ Jayden. Can I talk to Mr. Cephalo privately?” Jayden looked over to him like a lost puppy looking for guidance. And like a puppy’s owner, Mr. Cephalo waved him off. As Jayden exited the room, Ari awkwardly sat down.

“I don’t know how to say this. But-” The entire staff flooded into Mr. Cephalo’s office. It was time for the business meeting. “Are you serious?” Ari thought to herself. “The one chance I have to finally speak my mind and it’s over.” Ari and Jocelyn exchanged looks, as if to communicate with their eyes. They sat in adjacent seats. Throughout the entirety of Mr. Cephalo’s introduction speech, they continued to speak with their eyes.

“What happened Ari?”

“Nothing. Literally.”

“Why didn’t you speak to him?”

“Stupid Smith,” Ari gestured under the table towards him.”

“Wow. What did he do?”

“Are you guys okay?” Lee whispered over to them. He noticed their facial, silent communication. The girls nodded. The fact that they could understand each other was amazing. That’s just what happens when best friends hang around each other so long. Jocelyn was the only person Ari was comfortable around to speak her mind. 

“Thank you all for coming,” Mr. Cephalo said. “You can see yourself out. Except Ms. Wilkins. I’d like it if you could stay.”

“Oh no!” Ari looked at Jocelyn.

“Good luck,” Jocelyn stared back, and shuffled quickly out of the room into the main office with the rest of her coworkers.

“What’s up?” She wanted to say, but at the same time her confidence had run out, along with her social battery. Instead she waited silently until he approached her. It seemed as if he was towering over her.

“Ms. Wilkins.” Ari nodded. “You seemed quite upset earlier. What’s going on?”

“I just had a few ideas and I wasn’t able to tell you because of Jayden. Or Mr. Smith.”

“You don’t have to call him that.” Mr. Cephalo gestured dismissively. “I never knew there was a mutual dislike between the two of you, by the way.”

“Well maybe if you paid more attention to your employees.” Ari replied, immediately slapping her face over her mouth. Mr. Cephalo raised an eyebrow. “I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean that.” The high tension situation was causing her to blurt out instead of remaining quiet.

“It’s okay. I’m happy to hear this much from you. You barely ever talk in meetings, or even at the lunches. You’re always around that Josie.”

“Jocelyn.”

“It appears you’re right. I should probably pay more attention to my employees after all.”

“Why don’t you?”

“Well, the CEO and board already put a lot of pressure on me. And I need to keep a strong face in front of you all. It doesn’t give me enough time to get to know all of you.”

“You got to know Jayden.” Ari felt a little more confident but she had no idea where it came from. 

“He kind of forced himself on me. He’s like an office suck up.” Ari’s eyes widened. Everyone noticed it, even Mr. Cephalo? 

“Wow, I didn’t know you knew. But I have something to say.”

“What?” Cephalo replied. 

“How should I say this? I’m not sure if I can do it.” She thought. Ari took a deep breath, mustered all of her courage, and opened her mouth to speak.

“Mr. Cephalo, I would like to go on a date with you.”

“But you’re my employee?”

“I quit.”

January 14, 2021 20:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.