0 comments

Adventure Fantasy

Two months. That's how long Marcel and his company had been tracking the beast. Two months of following partial tracks and village gossip. They traveled through woods, across rivers, and over vast plains. After all that time and a chance encounter with a woman in Granholm, it was only now that Marcel stood at the entrance to the cavern where they were told they would find the monster they sought. Marcel Travers looked over the men and women under his command. All were wearing the armor of the Drakon Guard, the most loyal and elite of the king’s army. A gold dragon with its wings spread was inlaid into deep blue armored breastplates and shields. Marcel’s hand gripped his sword hilt as he considered the best course of action.

Helena approached him and said softly, “We should spread out in order to force the beast to split his fire. He won't be able to take all of us out simultaneously.”

Marcel nodded, then said, “I don’t want any of us to be taken out if we can avoid it.”

Helena was about to say something, but another Marcel suddenly looked to the cavern and drew his sword. The sunlight danced along the blade's sharp edge. This sword was not made from ordinary steel. Marcel’s blade, along with all members of the Drakon Guard, was made of a blend of the best castle-forged steel and a metal called adamantine. Adamantine was the hardest and most durable substance known to mankind. Weapons made of this incredible metal could cut through dragon scales as easily as they cut human flesh. It was this weapon that Marcel now held in front of him as he stared at the cavern entrance.

Helena looked back and forth between the cavern and Marcel.

“What is it,” she asked. “What do you see?”

Marcel kept his eyes on the cavern as he replied, “It’s not what I saw. It is what I heard.”

Helena listened for any sound but heard nothing.

“What did you hear?”

Marcel rubbed his temple under his helmet. 

“I heard a voice in my head.”

Helena looked at Marcel for a long time, then said, “What did the voice say?”

Marcel finally looked at her and replied, “It told me to come in.”

Helena looked at the beckoning darkness.

“You can go in there, but not alone.”

You may accompany him, Helena Krell.

Helena snarled as she drew the two swords that rested on each side of her waist and started toward the cavern. Marcel followed her, saying, “You heard?”

Helena nodded.

The men and women of Marcel’s company shouted questions, but Marcel told them to be silent and not enter the cavern until he called for them. Just before he entered, Marcel grabbed a torch from another rider. The man leaned down and struck flint and steel to create sparks. The torch lit up with a woosh, and Marcel walked over to join Helena at the entrance.

“Ready,” Marcel asked. 

Helena nodded.

The two of them then entered the cave.

The torch cast strange shadows on the cavern walls. Helena walked a little ahead of Marcel to be the first to face any potential danger. The voice in their heads had not spoken since they entered the cavern. They had not spoken to each other either. Both were lost in their own thoughts about the situation they found themselves in. After what felt like a long time, Marcel said, “I am certain the dragon is calling us, but for what purpose?”

Helena shrugged.

“Does it really matter?”

“Yes, it does. Most of the time, a dragon would have attacked us as soon as he caught our scent.”

Helena glanced at Marcel.

“True. Perhaps this beast would rather his prey save him the effort of hunting.” 

Despite himself, Marcel could not help but smile.

“I think there is more to this than an easy meal.”

Helena rolled her shoulders, her blades winking in the firelight.

“I hope so. I have no desire to meet my end in this hole.”

As they rounded a corner, bright light shone on the walls and floor ahead of them. 

Marcel knelt and leaned the torch against the wall. They would need it to light their way out. 

Helena sheathed the blade in her left hand and gripped her other sword with both hands.

“I don't like this,” she said, turning slowly to keep the entire room in view. “We are wide open for an attack.”

Marcel gripped his sword but did not draw it out. He, too, was looking around the huge open space. On the far side of the room, another dark entrance yawned.

“Where is the dragon,” he asked. 

Helena turned her head to him.

“I don’t know, but if he doesn’t show himself, I will not be vexed.”

Marcel listened for any sound, but he heard none. 

“I am going to try something,” he said, closing his eyes. “Watch my back.” 

Helena nodded.

We are here. What do you want of us?

Marcel directed the thought toward the darkness on the other side of the room.

Welcome to my home. I mean you no harm.

The voice in their heads was deep but not menacing.

“That has yet to be seen,” Helena said as she slowly lowered her sword but did not put it away. 

Marcel’s voice boomed around the cavern.

“I am Marcel Travers, Commander of the Second Company of the Drakon Guard. Why have you summoned us?”

The cavern floor shook as heavy footsteps grew closer to them.

A few moments passed before a magnificent and terrifying sight filled the cavern. 

A large head on a serpentine neck led a massive body into the room. Sharp white teeth stuck out from the closed jaws. Its four legs reminded Marcel of oak trees. Claws the length of his sword scraped the floor, and its tail trailed at least seven feet behind it. The dragon spread its wings to their full span, then snapped them closed over its sapphire blue scales. 

“It is the most beautiful and frightening thing I have ever seen,” Helena said.

Marcel nodded without taking his eyes off the dragon.

You may put up your weapons, the dragon said in their heads. You are in no danger here. 

Helena hesitated until Marcel nodded to her. Once her sword was sheathed, Marcel asked, “What is your name?”

My name is Eirwen, she said to them. 

Helena’s face showed surprise.

“You are female,” she asked.

A laugh rumbled through their heads.

Are you shocked that I am female?

“A little,” Helena admitted. “We are more accustomed to dealing with the males of your species.”

Marcel spoke up again.

“We were sent after you because our commanders said they had evidence of you taking cattle from Drakonfeld. Have you been that far east?”

Not for a long time. It has been at least sixty years.

Helena looked at Marcel.

“Is it possible that she is lying?”

Marcel shook his head.

“Eirwen is a blue dragon. They are known for only speaking the truth. The magic in their blood makes them incapable of lying. They are also known to possess the ability to see into the future.” 

Eirwen inclined her head to Marcel.

Your knowledge of us is refreshing. No, I can not lie; I would not want to, even if I could.

Helena leaned against the wall.

“So why are we here? You obviously want something from us; otherwise, you would have eaten us well before now.”

Marcel gave her a reproving look, which she ignored.

Eirwen laughed again.

I like you, Helena. You do not hesitate to get to the heart of a matter.

Eirwen lowered herself to the cavern floor. 

I called you here to warn you and to help you.

“Warn us of what,” Marcel asked.

Rebellion and treason in Drakonfeld. 

“What?”

Marcel and Helena spoke the word together.

“Are you certain,” Marcel asked.

Eirwen nodded.

Only a few weeks after you departed Drakonsfeld, the regent and some members of the regent council seized power. The prince was deposed, but he is as yet unharmed.

Helena pushed away from the wall and headed back to the tunnel.

“Where are you going,” Marcel shouted.

She whirled around.

“I am going to put down this insurrection. Are you going to join me?”

Marcel shook his head. 

“Do you really think fifty horsemen will make a difference? There are likely thousands of rebel troops in the city. We have been gone for two months. We have no idea what we would be facing.”

Helena shouted, “Facing them would be better than cowering in this cave or riding aimlessly all over the countryside!”

Marcel took a calming breath, then said, “Sit down, Helena.”

Helena took three long steps and stood in front of Marcel. She gripped her sword hilts as she stared into Marcel’s eyes. Marcel did not show any fear. He was calm as he repeated, “Sit down, Helena.” 

It took a mighty effort, but Helena stepped away from Marcel and leaned against the wall again. 

Marcel addressed Eirwen.

“You said that you were also here to help us. What did you mean?”

I can help you restore Drakonfeld to its rightful ruler.

Helena pushed off the wall.

“You would do that?”

Eirwen nodded.

Helena and Marcel shared a long look. 

Marcel finally looked back at Eirwen.

“What would you ask as your price?”

Eirwen shook her head.

Nothing. I only want to be left alone.

Helena nodded.

“We don't have any other choice,” she said. 

Marcel stroked his goatee.

“Eirwen’s price is more than fair. But do I have the authority to make this decision? We were sent here to kill her.”

Helena shook her head.

“No. We were sent here to get us out of the way. This usurpation would not have happened had we still been in the city.”

Marcel nodded.

“That is true. No one would have dared do this had we been within a day’s ride.”

Helena took Marcel by the shoulders and said, “We are responsible for the security of Drakonfeld. In taking Eirwen’s bargain, we would be doing just that.”

Marcel stepped out of Helena’s grip and thought about what he was about to do. Should he fail, he would be remembered as a martyr. Should he succeed, Marcel would be lauded as a hero. But should he do nothing, he would be seen as a traitor, just as those who usurped the prince. 

His choice made, he looked at Eirwen and asked, “Please tell my company outside what happened and that we are riding back to Drakonfeld.”

Helena smiled.

“I knew you would make the right decision.”

Marcel shrugged.

“It was the only choice. Besides, for all the plotting the regent did, I bet he did not consider dealing with a dragon in his plans.”

Marcel’s company stared dumbfounded as Eirwen walked ponderously to the open field a few dozen yards away. The horses were nearly mad with fear at the sight and scent of the dragon. A few had thrown their riders and bolted towards the woods. After a semblance of calm had been restored, Marcel addressed his command.

“We are returning at once to Drakonfeld. Allow no one to stop you, especially if they are from Drakonfeld. I consider the capital to be under a hostile occupation, and we will treat it as such.”

Marcel could feel the anger of his men. He also felt their loyalty and determination to make things right. He motioned to Eirwen.

“Eirwen has graciously offered her assistance. Not only will she help us fight, but she will contact every loyal Drakon warrior and rally them to our cause.” 

The men and women cheered at that news. 

After the applause died down, Marcel continued.

“We were sent here to hunt down and kill this dragon. A dragon that now is willing to help us fight for what is ours. In return for her assistance, I have made a pact with Eirwen.  After we win this battle, I will create a unit to guard the approaches to Granholm to ensure that no one enters her territory. I will, of course, need volunteers.”

Another cheer went up, and it made Marcel smile.

Marcel nodded at Helena, whose voice rose above the din.

“Mount up, Drakon Guard! We ride for honor and to victory!”

The company leaped on their mounts, and within moments, they had been swallowed in a cloud of dust heading east.

Marcel’s own horse had been tied to another and was gone.

Eirwen approached him and lowered her head. Marcel hesitated for a moment before positioning himself just behind her head. 

Are you ready, she asked.

“As I will ever be.”

Eirwen took a few running steps, flapped her wings, and in moments they were airborne. 

Marcel looked down at the earth below him and shook himself.

I am truly flying, he thought. 

The giddy feeling faded as he watched his command waving to him as Eirwen flew over them. They reminded Marcel of the task that lay ahead. 

The traitors will pay and pay dearly.

September 30, 2023 01:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.