Traveller of the East and West

Submitted into Contest #96 in response to: Start your story with the arrival of a strange visitor in a small town.... view prompt

12 comments

Creative Nonfiction Historical Fiction

Author's Note


Unfortunately, this story might be repeated till it reaches a thousand words. So you know, I contemplated a lot of amazing titles to give this nonfiction, lol. Listing them in no particular order,


1) The Travels of Dhul-Qarnayn

2) Traveller of the Earth

3) The Traveller of the East and West

4) The Reacher of the East and West

5) Reacher of the Two Horns of the Sun


Everything written in this story was adequately gotten from the Holy Qur'an and some other explanations (also gotten from the Holy Qur'an) from hadithoftheday.com. If you believe you spotted any form of error on my part, kindly let me know. No-one is perfect except Allah (عز و جل).


If you learnt something new or enjoyed reading it, press the like button.


P.S.: This is to boost the number of words of the entire submission. In case you're wondering where I got this story from (the story of Dhul-Qarnayn), check Surah Al-Kahf, Verses 83 - 98. Although, there is a bit more information found in Verse 99 till the end. Also, I used Tafsir Ibn Kathir for the full translation and additional information into the meanings of each verse (i.e. Tafsir).


To Reedsy: I don't know entirely if this fits into your prompt. But, this was solely done for my Lord's sake. I hope you have a fun read.


I would probably place the verses first and then write each translation/story that follows afterwards whichever is easier and educative.


Enjoy! :)


***


And they ask you about Dhul-Qarnayn say: "I shall recite to you something of his story."


The Prophet (ﷺ) had been tested by the disbelievers of Makkah about some three things (two of which are still in the same Surah and would not be discussed here). He had been revealed Surah Al-Kahf as a response to them from Angel Jibreel (who was sent by Allah). The story goes thus:


N.B.: This story is creative nonfiction that is written in paragraphs, not verses. I didn't include my own version in this. I wrote it this way for easy reading.


Dhul-Qarnayn, an endowed Muslim king with many talents and abilities, was a man with military prowess - many might, armies, war equipment and siege machineries surrounded him. He had the ability to rule kingdoms as most kings were submissive to him. He enjoined in travelling from one destination to the next to establish justice in the land and alleviate the suffering of the people so, he dominated the East and West of the earth that all nations served him. He reached the two horns of the sun, where it rose and set, given his name, 'Dhul-Qarnayn'. He was pious and steadfast and had the means of everything - extensive knowledge on many aspects, the parts and features of the earth, power to conquer all areas, regions and countries, to defeat enemies, suppress the kings of the earth and humiliate the people of polytheism. He was given all that a man like him would need.


Then, he followed a way (a route through the land) until, when he reached the setting place of the sun (the West of the Earth), he found it setting in a spring of Hami'ah (that is, he saw the sun as if it were setting in the ocean). And he found a group of people near it, a great nation from among the sons of Adam. Then Allah said to him (by inspiration): "O Dhul-Qarnayn! Either you punish them or treat them with kindness.''


He said: "As for him who does wrong, we shall punish him, and then he will be brought back unto his Lord, Who will punish him (again) with a terrible torment (Hell), but as for him who believes and works righteousness, he shall have the best reward, and we shall speak unto him mild words.'' 


Then he followed (another) way, until, when he came to the rising place of the sun (the East of the Earth), he found it rising on a people for whom Allah had provided no shelter against the sun. Every time he passed a nation, he subjugated the people and called them to Allah. If they obeyed him - all well and good, otherwise he would humiliate them and take their wealth and possessions. From every nation he took what his armies needed to fight the next nation.


So (it was)! And, Allah knew all about Dhul-Qarnayn and his army, and nothing was hidden from Him (Allah), even though they came from so many different nations and lands.


Then, he followed another way, until, when he reached between two mountains, he found before them a people who scarcely understood a word.


They (the people) said: "O Dhul-Qarnayn! Verily, Ya'juj and Ma'juj (Gog and Magog) are doing great mischief in the land. Shall we then pay you a tribute in order that you might erect a barrier between us and them?"


He said: "That in which my Lord had established me is better (than your tribute). So help me with strength, labour and construction equipment, I will erect between you and them a barrier. Give me Zubar (pieces or chunks like bricks or blocks) of iron." Then, when he had filled up the gap between the two mountain-cliffs, he said "Blow,'' then he lit up a fire till he had made them (red as) fire, he said: "Bring me Qitran (molten copper) to pour over them.'' 


So it resembled a striped cloak, that they could not scale it or dig through it.


He said: "This is a mercy from my Lord, but when the promise of my Lord comes, He shall Dakka' (flatten or level) it down to the ground. And the promise of my Lord is ever true. And on that Day, Allah shall leave some of them to surge like waves on one another; and the Trumpet will be blown, and Allah shall collect them (the creatures) all together.


And Allah knows best.

June 01, 2021 08:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

12 comments

21:38 Jun 30, 2021

Salaam from a fellow Muslim Reedsy writer! :) Love this!

Reply

Aisha Olanrewaju
19:53 Jul 01, 2021

Wa alaykum salaam! I honestly didn't expect this, XD :) Thank you so much. Thought I should spread Islam here.

Reply

20:02 Jul 01, 2021

Hahaha, neither did I! For sure!! Allah bless you for your efforts :)

Reply

Aisha Olanrewaju
20:36 Jul 01, 2021

Aameen, and you too, for reading it. JazaakumuLlah khayran :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
06:28 Jun 14, 2021

Hi, this was really great!!! :)

Reply

Aisha Olanrewaju
09:04 Jun 14, 2021

Thank you so much!!! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
03:46 Jun 07, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Aisha Olanrewaju
10:51 Jun 07, 2021

Thank you very much! I'm glad you loved this Islamic story.

Reply

Unknown User
10:53 Jun 07, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Aisha Olanrewaju
14:49 Jun 07, 2021

Thank you! :) By the way, there's this writing contest I know of. You can read more about it here in case you're interested: https://fallowamber.wordpress.com/june-writing-prompt

Reply

Unknown User
14:50 Jun 07, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Aisha Olanrewaju
14:54 Jun 07, 2021

You're welcome!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.