0 comments

Holiday Romance

Claudia was a woman of uncertainty. Small to monstrous moments were full of questions, ifs, and maybes. There was simply no getting around it. Claudia was uncertain if she would make next month's rent. Uncertain whether she'd made the right decision in breaking it off with James last Christmas. Uncertain whether she'd ever see the world beyond the small town of Pembroke. Quite frankly she was uncertain as to whether her dreams were even within reach anymore.

Uncertainty might as well have been Claudia's middle name.

But despite all this uncertainty, there was one thing Claudia Rivers was absolutely certain of, and it was that she absolutely despised- no absolutely loathed Jacob Silverman.

She detested his unruly hair that sat like an unruly mop atop his head. She hated the neon flashing Christmas sweaters he wore every day the entire month of December. And she absolutely could not stand the belly filled laugh that flitted throughout the cobbled streets as he walked past her shop every night on his walk home.

But most of all, Claudia hated Jacob Silverman for owning East Pembroke's Pies and Puddings.

Claudia had taken over West Pembroke Bakery six years ago when her aunt had passed and nobody else stepped forward to help keep the business afloat. Taking over the bakery was no destiny fulfilled, nor was it any dream actualized. Claudia hadn't grown up dreaming of being a baker, nor had she even contemplated being a business owner up until that point. But with the quick signing of a paper and the passage of a key, here she was. The owner of West Pembroke Bakery.

Despite the abruptness of it all, Claudia found herself quickly swept into the magic of the bakery. Early mornings that had once required multiple cups of coffee before even reaching work, had instead become filled with the wafting smell of warm croissants. Afternoons that had been uncomfortably silent staff break rooms suddenly became lines of bright eyed Pembrokians trying to grab a quick treat before heading back to work. And evenings of dreariness quickly transformed into a peaceful solitude, with just the quiet murmurings of bakers and random patrons flitting in and out of the space.

Needless to say, that while Claudia was uncertain if she was meant to be a baker, she quite enjoyed it.

Until Jacob Silverman decided to open his own bakery that is.

The majority of the town assumed Claudia's distaste stemmed from the financial toll they imagined his business was casting on West Pembroke Bakery. But honestly, that was not at all it. Shockingly enough, the town was more than big enough to sustain two bakeries, and Jacob's shop didn't seem to impinge on her Claudia's bakery too greatly.

No, it was the dreaded Colossal Creative Crafting Cookie Competition that did it in for Claudia.

The competition in all it's small town glory happened once a year at the Pembroke Annual Christmas Lighting Festival. People from all over town would enter the competition to vie for the title of Pembroke's Jolliest Baker. While this was no Top Chef or Chopped, the town took the competition quite seriously, and Claudia was no exception.

The competition began an hour before the tree lighting in the town square. Each contestant is given a dozen cookies to decorate as they see fit. They must be decorated within forty five minutes, after which they are given to three judges to taste and score. Then, after the tree lighting is complete, the judges award the blue ribbon to the best decorator.

After Claudia took over the bakery, she had thought it a fun idea to enter the competition in the hopes of stirring up some holiday business. Shockingly, after entering for the first time, Claudia won First Place and was given her first blue ribbon under the glow of a newly lit town tree, and amidst the thunderous clapping of a sugar rushed crowd.

The moment was absolutely addictive to Claudia.

And not too bad for business either.

Soon the lines at West Pembroke had extended and the calls had doubled, as everyone in town was fighting to get the elusive pastries made by Pembroke's Jolliest Baker.

After that, Claudia decided it would be a good idea to make entering the competition an annual event. Some years staff from the bakery would enter as well, and while it was all fun competition, Claudia was there for one reason, and that was to win.

Which she did until Jacob Silverman decided to enter the bloody bake off last winter.

She could still remember the way his messy curls flopped atop his head as he skipped his way up to the stage to receive his prize. She could easily recall the way his carefree laugh echoed through the space as he shook Mayor Brown's hand as he was awarded his ribbon. And most of all, she could remember the way Jacob's eyes seemed to magically zero in on her. As they had stared into each other's eyes, a crowd apart from one another, it felt as though the noise of the festival faded away and Claudia watched as a small smile came to Jacob's face. But before she could even nod her head in recognition of his win, Jacob gave a quick wink in her direction and turned away to talk with the mayor's wife.

Standing shellshocked at this man's audacity to wink at her, Claudia had begun to fume. He had stolen her ribbon. He had stolen her title. He had stolen her five year streak and she was NOT happy about it. Abruptly pivoting, Claudia turned and pushed her way through the crowds and made her way back to the bakery.

***

That was almost a year ago now, and since then, Claudia had spent nearly every waking moment of her free time working on new decoration techniques- all with the plan of defeating stupid Jacob Silverman and claiming back her rightful title back.

Claudia's roommate Frank had tried to point out that perhaps it was ironic to gloomily waste endless time plotting revenge to claim the title of jolliest baker. While Claudia knew he was right and likely had a point, she really could've cared less. Winning was what she did best.

Now, trudging her way through the snow towards the town square where the competition was bound to begin any minute, Claudia knew she had never been more prepared for victory.

That is of course, until she found herself flat on her back after slipping on a patch of ice she hadn't noticed.

Intensely blinking, Claudia looked up to see black splotches flowering the snowy white sky. Shutting her eyes once more for a quick reprieve, she garnered up all the energy she could to pick herself up and continue her way to the town square.

But as she opened her eyes, she found herself looking straight into the eyes of no one other than the abysmal Jacob freakin Silverman.

Eyes full of mirth and a laugh on his lips, Jacob looked down at her and extended a hand, "Air good down there, huh?"

"Ha. Ha. Very funny" Claudia deadpanned as she took his hand, " I was running late to the competition and I sli-" Claudia let out a painful squeal as she stood onto both her feet and felt a searing pain shoot through her ankle.

Jacob looked down, his eyes wide with concern. Surprised by his evident worry, Claudia felt a small smile come to her face before she realized what she was doing. After a moment though, she realized they were both going to be late for the competition and grabbed Jacob's forearm and began to drag them in the direction of the town square.

"We've got two minutes," she said "If we walk fast we can make-"

Claudia gripped Jacob's arm as she fell again to the sidewalk, gripping her ankle in pain. It was actually crazy that despite all the pain shooting up her ankle, all Claudia could think was another Colossal Creative Crafting Cookie Competition down the tubes.

With a look of resignation Claudia looked over at Jacob who had dropped to his knees in an attempt to help her up. With a huff of annoyance, Claudia began swatting his hands away from her.

"Just go!" she spat in anger and resignation, "We all know you're bound to win the damn competition again".

Without a response, Jacob stood up and with a sudden sadness Claudia realized he really was going to leave her here on the icy sidewalk without a way to get to the competition or get home.

Claudia closed her eyes and pinched the bridge of her nose in exasperation. This. This is why she was right to hate bloody Jacob Silverman.

That was until she felt the icy sidewalk disappear from beneath her, and she found herself being carried bridal style by no one other than Jacob himself.

It took her just a moment to realize they were walking away from the town square. "I don't understand! Why aren't you walking us to the tree lighting?!" she began to squirm a bit, "Someone there can take me home, and you can still be crowned as stupid Jolly Jacob!"

Once again Claudia found Jacob staring at her with utter bemusement. "Claudia, something in your ankle is very likely broken. I am not going to leave you lying here in pain on the icy side walk, nor am I going to drag you to the competition to hobble around begging for a ride home. We are going to the after hours clinic on Clayton Street and that is final".

Now it was Claudia's turn to stare at Jacob in wonder and bemusement. " But....why?", she asked incredulously.

Jacob looked down at Claudia, a full grin encompassing his face, "Why dear Claudia, its quite simple- no baker left behind."

Claudia couldn't help but smile back in response. Silently the two continued to make their way to the clinic.

***

One boot and a couple of days later, Claudia was hobbling her way back to West Pembroke Bakery. Neither she nor Jacob ever made it to the competition that night, and through the grapevine they discovered that Pam Stagerty had walked away with the coveted blue ribbon.

While typically that would have left Claudia riddled with disappointment in herself and filled with worry for the bakery, she surprisingly found herself more at ease than ever.

West Pembroke Bakery was still packed to the brim with bubbly patrons and as nightfall arrived, the lights of the newly lit tree set the bakery aglow through the window front. All seemed relatively alright.

But, unlike nights past when she heard Jacob's laughter flitting from down the street, he did not wander past. Rather, the bell on the door jingled and he waltzed right on in.

As Claudia heard the bell ring, she looked up from behind the counter, put the icing tube down, and smiled brightly in his direction.

While Claudia's life was still just as full of questions as before, and she was still uncertain of so much, as she watched this man she had only just recently abhorred walk towards her, there was one thing she was quite certain of- it was going to be way too easy to fall head over heels for Jacob Silverman.

December 06, 2020 22:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.