0 comments

General

You are a scientist and detective that works in the big city of Chicago. You have worked on a lot of missing persons cases and solved just about every one. The one case you have not been able to solve is the case of your dad. You have been working on his case ever since he went missing. Even though there is a death certificate that confirms his death you have good reason to believe that the death certificate is a fake. Your mom has not let you go to see the belongings your dad left for you which is very unusual. Your dad was diagnosed with cancer when you were only eight years old. You were never very close to your mom. You always got along with your dad way more than you do with your mom. Without your dad there at home to keep people from fighting and saying things they really don’t mean, everything at home fell apart. Once you were old enough to leave home and be on your own you left and never came back. Your mother is a scientist and has her own science company that works on technology and makes cures for illness and disease. Your father was also a scientist but he used science to help explain things in history and also used it to deal with the problems of today. Your dad was the best dad you could ever have, but as you got older you found he wasn’t as perfect as you had thought he was. Your dad kept many secrets from you and you only found out just about how many secrets he had after his “death”. You have yet to see the belongings your dad left you. For you to see what was left for you, you have to get into your mom’s company and break into the personal files and records. You have to somehow get your mom’s keys to the whole building without her realizing they are gone and without her seeing or recognizing you. You go home and make a plan to get the keys but then you remember that there is a completed set of copies to every room. For you to get to the keys you would have to go back to your mom’s house and get the keys from your mom’s home office. After you get your hands on the keys you must hack into the security lines and shut off the cameras without the alarm going off. After that you just have to find the records room and then find the personal files. After you find the rooms you need to get inside and find the file of your dad. You decide to take action tomorrow because you know your mom will be out of town.

    Tonight's the night you are breaking in and getting your father's things. So far your plan is going as planned, your mom wasn’t home and you got the keys. At this moment you are hacking into the system. It only takes you half an hour to hack the system and shut down the cameras. Something you didn’t expect happens, after you disable the cameras a timer shows up you have half an hour to get in and get out with what you came for before the system automatically powers the cameras back on and there is nothing you can do to keep them from coming back on line. As you rush through the building you see a map of the building and you quickly spot the personal files and records room. You have already wasted about five minutes looking at the map so you run as fast as you can to the records and files room. It only takes you ten minutes to get there. You are in a big hurry with fifteen minutes left till cameras are back online. You know your way around the company from being there so much so you also know how the files are sorted. Right as you get in the room you go straight to the B section. Within five minutes you had found your dad’s file and walked out of the room leaving everything as if you were never there. You make it out with one minute to spare. So you run to your car and drive off. You head straight home and put all of the papers and artifacts in your safe and go right to bed because tomorrow is going to be a long day. 

….

    You wake up the next morning and get right to work. You go through every last letter till you find your dad’s suicide letter. Once you look at the letter you realize that your dad didn’t write the letter your mom did. So now you know that your dad didn’t actually commit suicide. You think to yourself “So if dad really is dead then how did he really die?” You go through the papers more and find the game that you and your dad made when you were little. You start to think “This makes no sense why would dad make a new copy of our game only to give me the copy.” You start to get frustrated so you take a step back and look at it from a different angle. Suddenly you understand why he left a copy of the game, the game makes a message.

“Come find me.”

    You realize that your dad has been wanting you to find him but your mom was keeping you from possibly finding him. You find a paper with an address on it. When you go to the address you find that it is an old science lab. You walk around the lab and find a science experiment that must have exploded showing from the black marks all across the room. As you piece together the mystery you realize the science experiment is the last physical trace of dad which is impossible because the explosion doesn’t have an acid trace or deadly toxins and the blast wasn’t big enough to cause death to someone so dad must be alive. As you go through the papers again you find one you should have looked at before. The paper documents that your father was in a science lab dated after his death certificate was signed. Your dad has been living in a science lab in the Arctic unable to leave because mom shut it down to keep disease from spreading. That night I contacted a good friend of mine.

    You wake up at dawn and meat up with your friend. By the end of the day you are at the science lab hugging your dad for the first time since you were ten years old. The next morning you and your dad are on your way back home.

 Before you get to your car you get an email.

I know you found him.

-Mom

June 22, 2020 21:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.