16 comments

Contemporary Fantasy Friendship

Every year a citizen of Witdeaory, The Ancient Territory is sacrificed to the dragons of Draspire underneath them. After the chosen one is thrown off a cliff, everyone celebrates with a party of life to remember them. If the dragons don’t receive a sacrifice, they’ll fly up and kill everyone for not abiding by the agreement. The dragons were in control.


Ali wanted to do it. Well, not really, because no one did, but she wanted to be important she wanted to be missed. However, her fate was out of her hands, for she would be chosen by the spirits, the young girl would not choose if she wanted to. 


The one chosen would be kind, for that blood would be the most magical and best sacrifice. No one knew why this should be done - after all, get rid of the rude people and keep the kind people around! - but it always was, as tradition. 


Bryanna was the nicest girl anyone knew. She was sweet, she smiled, and treated everyone with kindness. Not a single bad word about anyone ever came out of her mouth and she was friends with anyone who wanted to be friends with her.


The one chosen would be loved very, very, much by all those around them. 


This was true about Avery. Who seemed to never have trouble finding a friend, or even someone to hang out with. Her fun personality and good sense of humor was everyone’s favourite thing about her.


They had to be silly. 


Jayla was awesome and outgoing. The things she did never failed to make anyone laugh, and she had fun the whole time. 


The best sacrifice. 


Really, it seemed the best person to keep around was meant to be chosen to die. 


Whoever was chosen would have good friends they’d be missed by.


Ali, Bryanna, Avery and Jayla were best friends. They formed a group of four, and did everything together. All four girls were afraid for each other and themselves, that one of them would be taken. If it was themself, their life would be over and their friends would never get over the grief. If it was their friend, they’d never get over the grief.


The day the person was picked, everyone gathered at a small fountain. Then the spirits came out and went to the person chosen to make the sacrifice. 


All with their fingers crossed. But they didn't get their hopes up. They knew one of them would be the most worthy. 


The spirits came out. Beautiful creatures, they really were. But no one could appreciate the beauty at a time like this. They flew over to the group - eyes all closed in anticipation - and chose… 


The one chosen would be kind, for that blood would be the most magical and best sacrifice. Bryanna was the nicest girl anyone knew. 


Tears flowed down everyone’s cheeks.


“Please, don’t do this.” Someone whispered. They didn’t know who said it because they were all thinking the same thing. 


So she didn’t. All four stepped to the edge of the cliff holding hands and sacrificed themselves together.

June 14, 2022 23:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

16 comments

Dhwani Jain
12:25 Jul 10, 2022

How are you?

Reply

21:09 Jul 21, 2022

I'm great, you? What have you been up to?

Reply

21:10 Jul 21, 2022

I'm sorry to be so late responding, I haven't been on here for a while.

Reply

Dhwani Jain
16:00 Jul 22, 2022

XD np

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
16:00 Jul 22, 2022

I'm good. So much to keep up in school since I am the Head Girl now. My throat hurts a bit. but anyways, what's up with u?

Reply

16:41 Jul 28, 2022

Nice! Yeah, not much is up with me either, just chilling for the summer.

Reply

Dhwani Jain
17:02 Jul 28, 2022

=D Have fun!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
20:53 Jun 23, 2022

An interesting story! It's short, tragic, and leaves me with many questions. I got a bit of a Hunger Games vibe here, not just because of the sacrifice but also because this year's sacrifice was notably different. I wonder if this will be a shock to the community, where they finally decide that maybe enough is enough. Or maybe the dragons will demand four from now on? Many ways this could go.

Reply

22:17 Jun 23, 2022

Wow- thank you so much! I appreciate every word of negative or positive feedback on my story so I know what to keep doing or what to do better. Thanks again for your comment and your time! -Kate

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
13:21 Jun 23, 2022

"If the dragons don’t receive a sacrifice, they’ll fly up and kill everyone for not abiding by the agreement. The dragons were in control." The first sentence and the rest is in present tense, then the second is in past tense. Wow, that ending is brutal. They all drank the coolaid there. Damn...

Reply

18:00 Jun 23, 2022

Thanks for the edit! Shoot... it's too late to change. Hope you're doing well! -Kate

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy M
12:52 Jun 23, 2022

So beautiful, full of love and yet so tragic. Great writing.

Reply

12:55 Jun 23, 2022

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Spruce Popsicle
21:58 Jun 18, 2022

Oh my goodness. This is such an amazing story. I cannot believe how much emotion you were able to pack into this short story. It was over so quickly, and I wanted to read more. I want to know more about this beautiful world. If this was a series, I’d read all of it. Honestly, amazing job on this.

Reply

12:01 Jun 20, 2022

Thank you so much!!! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
23:12 Jun 14, 2022

Thanks to Ali, Avery, Bryanna, & Jayla. For being alive and sharing your characters with me.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.