How to let go without really Dying, part 2 (Vacation in Karma)

Written in response to: Write about a character who has reinvented themselves, but realizes it's not always easy to outrun your past.... view prompt

0 comments

American Fiction Suspense

She sighed. "Oh, what a beautiful day it is!". She stretched out on the beach chair in Nice. The French Riviera was the absolute best place to be. She smiled. It was so nice to be She. A new, improved she. She had been impressed with her new passport picture, curly brunette hair, green eyes, long lashes. A huge improvement from her other one: mousy brown hair, one blue eye, one brown eye. She sighed "Another stupid thing given to me by my parents; stupid eyes, stupid sister, stupid brother..." She stopped thinking about that. She didn't have any of those. She had a business in Europe and a new identity.

She motioned to the cabana boy" I need you to put suntan lotion on my back." She turned over seductively and gave him a wink. That wasn't all she needed from him. They would meet later in her room, as they had been almost every day.

After he left her room, she stretched lazily on the bed. Their midday meetings always made her sleepy afterwards. She drifted away, smiling as visions of the Riviera entered her brain.

"Ouch" she jerked her foot. "OUCH!!" she turned over. She sat up "OUCH, OUCH, OWWW!" She began to shake her foot; The pain was intense. Then, she saw the blood. "What?" she said. She pulled the sheet down. Her toes were..missing?! How? Why? The pain became worse. She leaped out of bed but fell on the floor due to the fact that only her big toes remained. She started screaming and crying " why? Stop!!". She heard a noise and looked up; it was her brother. He was smiling and had a knife. He said "What are you afraid of sis? I'm not taking any more of them! I can't cut off the big ones so don't worry." She fainted.

The next morning, she awoke on the floor. The knife had been left behind, but her brother was gone. She wrapped her feet tightly and put the knife in her purse. She put on her shoes and dressed to go down for breakfast. He told her not to worry so she didn't. She ordered a mango-banana smoothie for breakfast. She felt very hot so she decided to leave. She had had enough of the ocean and longed for the snow. She used to ski and wanted to do that again. She looked at her feet and frowned. No one can ski with just one toe. She was mad at her brother for taking that away from her. She decided to pack and go to Europe where she could at least see the snow. Once the plane landed, she took a car service to her hotel. There was a hot tub in her room, she slid into it and asked the butler to join her. The next day she walked slowly in the snow as she had to get used to wearing her boots just having her big toes left. She took a deep breath and said,"Ohh, smell that fresh air! It's invigorating!" She suddenly saw her dad, "Why are you falling off the bed? I thought I told you to be careful! " She frowned and walked away. She wasn't dealing with hm while she was on vacation.

She changed into her apres ski wear and went down to dinner. She ate by the fire and enjoyed a mango smoothie for dessert. She went back to her room and after she and the butler had completed their tryst, she fell back into the bed, sleepily. Visions of snow and Skiing whirled through her brain. "Ouch! " she cried. She turned over on her side "Ouch! OUCH!!" She turned to her left side. "OWWWW, man! What is that?" she turned on the light and saw blood in the bed. She had extreme pain on her back, then her arms, legs and finally, her face. She limped over to the mirror: large pieces of skin had fallen off leaving pustular, infected wounds. She turned to her father and said "Now see what you have done?" She opened a bottle of alcohol and poured it onto her skin. She grimaced from the pain but said "Try not to scream. It only makes the pain worse!" She grabbed a clean towel and dried the wounds. "There, that's better. Look, dad, I don't know how to explain why the sheets are bloody and smelly to the maid and I'm certainly not going to wash them. What? You want me to take the sheets off and just throw them out? That's a good idea."

The next day she awoke and packed her bags. It was time to go again; her skin still itched but she would have to put up with it until she got to her new destination.

Once she got to the hotel, she took out her new photo album. Pictures of all of her vacation destinations were there and she reminisced about all of them. She ordered some chilled vodka from the bar. When the waiter delivered it, she asked him to join her. They looked at her pictures then had a meeting in the shower. Once the meeting was over, she asked him to wrap her in the hotel towel and then asked how much the hotel would charge her if she took the towels home with her. The waiter smiled, took his tip and left.

She put the rest of her money in the hotel room safe " Let's see, I'll make the combination 23 left...15 right and 3 to the left. That's correct, isn't it Dad?" She smiled and went to bed.

"Oww..Ouch! What OWWW!" she screamed and sat up in bed. She took the knife out of her purse. She started screaming, she couldn't see! It hurt bad, the blood was everywhere. Her brother, father and sister were there in the room laughing at her. "I knew we'd find you." Said Kevin. She stared up at him. "Why aren't you wearing your eye patch? " Kevin said" Because I took your eye, I don't need the patch now but you do. Here, put it on. " He handed it to her. She took it reluctantly but tied it around her eye socket. She looked at her brother " You have one brown eye and one blue eye. "

"I know", he said "The blue one is yours."

She looked at her father "Why are you here?" "You never let me say good bye to ya." he said.

Her little sister was there. "You're dead, I hit you with a rock. Sorry." Her sister smiled.

She felt trapped. This can't be happening! She screamed and ran out of her hotel room. She screamed all the way down the hall and out of the door. She screamed and ran around in a circle, her eye was bleeding, the knife sticking out of it. People saw her and some started screaming themselves. Others surrounded her and stared at her missing socket.

Men jumped on her, and she felt sleepy all of a sudden. When she awoke, she saw she was back in her room again.

"This is our newest patient. She has psychosis and thinks she sees her father and brother; both of whom she thought she murdered. They both survived but are in hiding."

"Why does she wear an eyepatch?" one of the interns asked.

"When she was found, she had poked her eye out with a knife. She had murmured that she had infections in her skin and only had her big toes. We found that to be part of her psychosis. She had formed a new identity in her mind and had delusions of travelling to different places. In reality, she had only gotten as far as the front door of the apartment where her brother and father had been kept prisoner. Apparently, they had heard her screaming but decided not to call the police. I guess they got their revenge. "

The intern looked in her room. She was seated on the bed wrapped in a strait jacket, her eye patch hanging loosely over her socket. He went over and introduced himself "Good morning. My name is Dr. Karma."

January 04, 2024 22:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.