Inspiration

Submitted into Contest #166 in response to: Start your story with someone saying “I quit!” ... view prompt

0 comments

Contemporary Gay Romance

“I quit!”


Looking up from the book I was reading my eyebrows shot up in surprise as a spiral notebook went flying across the living room. I traced its flight path back to the den where Jason stood glaring in the open doorway.


“What happened, babe? Writer’s block again?”


“More like brain constipation because nothing is coming out, not even word shit,” he stormed into the living room and did a belly flop on the couch. “I’ve been sitting at that desk for 3 hours Chris, trying to squeeze something out but my brain refuses to form words. I can’t do it.”


“Maybe you’re trying too hard. Why not relax and don't write for the rest of the day and maybe tomorrow. Don’t even look at a piece of paper or a pencil.”


He buried his face in the cushions and let out a muffled groan before sitting up. “I can’t. I have a deadline to meet and a word count schedule to keep. I’m already behind because we had to help Tyler and Ken move yesterday, I can afford to not write if I want to finish this story by the end of the month.”


“Can’t you ask for an extension on it?”


“Maybe but it won’t do any good if I can’t get past this stupid scene.”


I closed my book. “What’s your story about? Maybe I can help.”


Jason shook his head. “Nope, you know the rules. If I tell you the story or let you read it before it’s done then the book is as good as dead.”


“Can you tell me what part you're stuck on? Maybe I can help give you ideas. Grease the wheel to get it rolling.”


“It’s a romance. That’s all I’m saying.”


“Oh come on, give me more than that. Is it a straight romance? Gay romance? Give me something to work with”


He let out a huge sigh, gaze fixed on the ceiling. “You’re not going to let this go are you unless I do.”


“That’s right so share.”


“It’s a gay romance and I’m trying to figure out how the love interests meet without it sounding cheesy or sappy.”


“How can you avoid that? Romance stories are cheesy and sappy just like erotic stories are spicy and kinky.”


“So not helpful.”


“Sorry,” I sat forward. “I’ll be serious. Why not have them meet the way we did?”


He turned to look at me. “We met at Tyler’s house party. I threw up on you and you took me home because I was drunk.”


“Yeah, I also stayed the night because I was afraid you’d drown in your own vomit or something. Three years later and I’m still here.”


Jason smiled. “I don’t think people want to read about the main characters vomiting on each other. That’s not exactly sexy or romantic.”   


“Oh, I don’t know. You messed up my pants and shirt so I had to spend the night in my boxers because I didn’t have any other clothes and yours were too small. I think that counts as sexy.”


“Too bad I don’t remember that. Want to reenact it? Might help inspire me.”


I grinned. “Hmm, maybe that’s the problem. You’re sexually frustrated and need to masturbate.”


He sat up and looked wide-eyed at me. “What?”


“Just think about it. You’re having trouble writing a romance scene between two people and we haven’t fucked in 3 days because we’ve been busy or too tired. You’re clearly sexually frustrated and need to clean your pipe to help the creative juices to flow again.”


I curled up into a ball as a couch cushion came flying at me. “I don’t need to masturbate. Do you want to have sex? We can do it right now if you want but I’m not hard-up and it’s not going to help me figure out this scene.”


“Hey, I’m just trying to help,” I said, tossing the cushion back at him. “All I’m saying is that maybe you’re putting too much pressure on yourself, making the scene more complicated than it needs to be. Keep it simple.”


“Fine, I’ll try,” he put the cushion back before going to his discarded notebook. “What time is it?”


I looked at my watch. “4:45.”


“I’m going to work on this until 6:00 then I’m calling it a night. Order a pizza and find something you’d like to watch on Netflix. Tonight we Netflix and Chill.”


“Hey, why not use that for your story? Your characters can have a nice night together, drinking while making out on the couch to porn.”


Jason laughed as he headed back to the den. “Sounds good but I think I may need to act this out later to help me visualize the scene and write it properly.”


“Are you asking me to be your muse?”


“Yeah. Wear the black thong I bought you for your birthday with matching socks. Nothing else.”


I raised an eyebrow at him. “What are you going to wear Mr. Kinky?” 


“Just my silk knit lounge pants. You’re my muse, my inspiration so it’s important that you do as I say tonight.”


“I thought you said this story was a romance. Sounds like it’s crossing into erotica territory.”


He gave me a big smile. “Nothing wrong with adding a little spice to romance. And it has been 3 days since we had any spice.”


“In that case, I better fix the bed for some late-night inspiration sessions. I’ll even take out the toy box.”


Jason’s hand went to his crotch. “You’re killing me now. Get everything ready for 6, don’t bother me until then.”


“Yes sir.”


He rolled his eyes at me good-naturedly before retreating into the den and closing the door behind him. Heaving a satisfied sigh I got up and went to work planning out our night. I never knew when Jason would decide to get his freak on but now that he had 3 days' worth of pent-up lust I planned on figuratively and literally milking it for all it was worth.




October 07, 2022 21:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.