0 comments

Contemporary

I didn't go to parties. That was all there was to it. No dancing, singing, puking or making small talk with your ex for me. Until now.


'Come on, you can't avoid going forever. Is it because of us?', Mira, my friend since we were 5 years old asked. If you want to know exactly what happened to cause our unlikely friendship, it was because of peanut butter allergies. A blue dress was thrust on her bed. She pointed to it. 'Wear it. You're coming with us.'

I looked at the dress. There was no getting out of this. 'Chloe! Are you coming out or what?' Chloe was our group's fashionista. Fashion advice was right up her alley. 'How do I look?'


Mira and I looked at each other. It was great. 'Chloe, you look great whatever you wear' we said in unison.


A wide grin flashed across her face as they both pushed me into Mira's bathroom. '5 minutes to change!'


I came out looking like anything and everything but myself. 


We drove in Mr Gardener's car.AKA Mira's dad. A lawyer by occupation but a kid at heart. 'Bye girls! ' He beamed at us as he drove away, leaving me to meet my doom. How could he be so cheerful when it's time to meet my doom? This was happening.


'Hello, ladies', a blonde guy with blue eyes smiled at us, like we were the star of the show. I nodded and moved on. 'Get ready.' Mira and Chloe smiled at me. They were up to something. I was suddenly pushed onto higher ground. I looked around to see everyone staring at me.


I was on a stage. A fricking stage. 'Go Slyvia!' A group of people shouted. It was Mira's doing. She had been trying to get me to sing since forever. That's when the music started.No point in rebelling now. Best to get on with it. It was my favourite song- 'Moonlight'. I sang, and sang, and sang. The music was just behind me. It was the first time since Doomsday that I had sung. And boy did it feel good.


I finished. I finished singing. I finished the thoughts I was having about Doomsday. Doomsday. The day my ex, Ben, had broken up with me. We had been inseparable. Coffee, picnics, you name it we went there. All my friends were certain we would grow old together. And that's why it was such a shock when he came out. 'I know this isn't the most normal reason to break up' he had started.'I have had feelings for Daniel for a while now.' It was horrible for me. But I had to let go. I fully supported his new boyfriend.

And then I looked up. There was a silent crowd. 

'Encore!' someone shouted.

And then there was a burst of applause.

The blue-eyed boy came up to me. 'You were great. By this time he had started blushing. 'Do you want to go out sometime?'


I flashed a grin.' Sure'


A man in a suit came up to me. 'Some talent you have.'

'Rodger. Talent agency. Give us a call'

I looked back to see my friends. They were grinning. 'Eeeee!!!' we squealed. 'Slyvia, this is what you've wanted since forever.' Mira shouted.

And for the first time in a long time, I looked at them and thought, These are my friends. I've been with them forever and I love them. My grin showed up again and we danced through the night.


The blue-eyed boy, now known as Dieter, joined us. We had made a brand-new friend. We went home together at 10 pm. We had a sleepover. This was just the beginning of the things to come tomorrow.


'Hello. Talent agency speaking.' a monotone voice replied from the other end of the phone

'Hi, can I book an appointment for tomorrow?'

'Sure' and that was the end of that. Though it was really a beginning.

What had happened in the past had to stay in the past. Except for when it brought cookies. Ben showed up at my door.

'Heard about the party, he said

'Yeah.'

'Well, I just wanted to say congratulations.' he held up a batch of freshly baked cookies.'Daniel baked them himself.'

'Do you want to come in? ' What was I doing? 

'Okay, he looked confused


I set up the cookies nicely on the coffee table. 'So how are things going on with Daniel and you?'

'I'm glad you asked. He has been such an excellent boyfriend to me. And not that it matters, though it is a plus, he is an outstanding cook.' He held up a cookie.

 The afternoon was spent with Ben and at one point Daniel came over. I could see the couple's charm. I remembered Dieter. 'There is someone I'd like you to meet.' And within a few minutes, Dieter turned up. Turns out he lived a block away. Some things are just worth finding.

'Dieter, meet my ex, Ben.'

Dieter blushed and turned away. He was confused.

'It's fine. Ben and I are friends.'

Dieter looked at us. And then at Daniel. He nodded.


It was 5 pm now, time for my Talent Agency interview.


'Name?' the dull, melancholy voice of the receptionist answered.

'Slyvia Patterson', I replied, hoping she would recognise me.

The receptionist looked up sceptically. She didn't look like the cheery and oh so fun person I'd imagined. She looks more like someone working in a bank, confined to the walls of the cell she worked in. I thought.


My appearance was not exactly the most comfortable that day. Chloe had picked it out.'You need to look professional, she had said while holding up a black skirt. I knew that but reluctantly agreed to wear her 'casual-formal-chic' outfit.


I entered the grey room. 'Welcome' a group of voices said.

There was a judging panel all sitting next to each other in a perfectly linear line. They were tough to please, I assumed.


'Start.' one of them ordered.


I flashed a grin. Time to work my magic.


May 12, 2021 07:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.