Spontaneous Happenings In A Seeming Ordinary Run-Down World

Submitted into Contest #19 in response to: Write a short story about someone based on their shopping list.... view prompt

0 comments

General

John sat in his car with a copy of Conversations with God for teens and a blank stack of papers and a pen.  John was by no means a teenager, but since coming upon the Conversations with God Series, he found that any kernels of wisdom from those books would pop new ideas paradigms in his mind to better serve him well.  Before writing his list, he looked at his pen and thought to himself, “A pen, this little instrument could be used to help enrich and potentially bring out joy and balance in lives, or it can be used to help feed into people’s already lackadaisical attitude toward themselves and the universe!”  Before John began to write his list, he scribbled down “This is a Journey not a Destination!” He pondered upon those words before underlining them and then wrote: Blank DVDs.  

Since the early 2000s, John had been experimenting with burning things off the internet.  Back then, he used his grandma’s giant Compaq monitor and CPU and dial-up internet. John used Limewire to constantly download music and burn it to blank CDs.  Now this time around not only was the equipment up to date, but the things he was getting and burning to DVDs was more of the beneficial type of things.


Next, he wrote down: VHS Tape into DVD recorder.  Then, he began the food list: Tofu, lentils, avocados, dark chocolate, ginger ale, beans, rotisserie chicken.  John knew whatever else he was missing, he could spot along the way. When John got to the Best Buy, he saw a lot of people by the cell phone kiosk.  He wasn’t fond of talking to people, so he wrote on a piece of paper “Greetings, I need a VHS Tape into DVD recorder please.” He handed it to an employee walking by after gently saying “Excuse me.”  The employee read the note, looked at John strangely, then said, “Follow me.” John followed the man looking around occasionally. He always, for some reason, admired the blue shirts they wore.  


“Okay, here we go, looks like this is the last one we have,” said the employee.  


John pushing the middle part of his spectacles on the bridge of his nose inspected it, read the description and instructions and while so, the man asked him, “You know no one hardly uses VHS anymore, it must be something really important you’re going to copy.”  John smiled at him slightly tilting his head up and down as if to say “Yes.” John walked pass some of the electronic department, grabbed and a 100 count and blank dvds, heading for the check out. Then, while in line he got this sort of urge. He let someone go in front of him, pulled out that same piece of paper and wrote “Now, you asked what I would need to copy from VHS to DVD so bad that I would need this machine you helped me find.  Well, it is an old (ostensible) VHS, but with nuggets of wisdom rarely parallel in what you call modern society. The church’s, the city council would laugh at this wisdom and then turn and continue to dig into problems which perpetuate problems. These jewels of wisdom or solutions to problems can be found in the subtlest places. LEARN to look where most people don’t even against your self-learned instinct not to. I bring you this non-judgemental and with humblest regards.  Have a good day!”  


John then came up out of his daze of writing, paid for his stuff and looked for the Polynesian looking man with straight hair.  He eventually found him quickly and walking towards him with a smile handed the note and walked quickly out of the store. John had to calm down in the car, and quickly checked the things he just paid for receipt and all.  Energy such as was written in that note moved through John frequently. Next, was the market/ grocery store. It was a delight to walk in and see the assorted fruits lined up neatly along with the vegetables. It can almost be overwhelming when you a few precise things on your grocery list, but the store had much more to offer.  John getting a few of his ingredients spotted a young Asian woman out the corner of his eye smelling fruit. He walked up to her reluctant and shy and asked “Do you shop here often?”


“Yes, I do,” the woman said gently while still smelling the fruit.


“Passion Fruit,” John said.


“Yes,” the woman said putting slowing putting fruit into her basket.


The woman was stunningly beautiful with a sunflower spotted dress on and tane shoes.  John asked her “Do you know anything about the beans in this section?” The woman said yes and proceeded to show John while looking at his list.  


“Well, I see you have lentils on your list and you have tofu in your basket.  Are you planning on making something with that?” the woman asked.


“Well, yes I saw this video on YouTube, and…’


“Wait, let me guess you’re going to make Tofu Pizza.”


“Yes,” John said and then a machine gun of words came from the woman about how she makes her Tofu Pizza!


While standing there, John realized something, that she was saying how to make the pizza exactly the way the woman on YouTube was cooking it.


John had to cut her off to say “You know, you’re describing this the exact same way the woman on YouTube was cooking.”


“Was she Asian?”


“Yes.”


“So, you must have the rest of the ingredients at home,” the woman said while glancing at his basket.


“Don’t you think that’s odd.  That out of the grocery stores, I would come to this one, and have somebody, you” John said pointing towards “describing cooking Tofu Pizza the exact same way I saw on YouTube days ago!”


“Yes, I think you all call it syn, synchro”


“Synchronicity.”

“Yes,” the woman let out a big smile before walking off, not in a weird or scared manner either.  John realised that interaction was supposed to end there!



John made it back to his RV, put everything away in a zombie like style and fell asleep.  The knock at his door woke him up to this reality, and letting in a frantic woman, he began to come fully back into this reality.


“Oh, I can’t believe my child’s did this and said that,” and on the woman went.


The rest of the evening, John assured the woman he had been known for some time that everything was alright and he told her some of the things that went on in his day, giving her those nuggets she definitely needed.  So, the next time you think something is a coincidence, check again! And when you feel reluctant to tell somebody something even though bottom of your stomach is telling you you should, tell them. THE CREATOR gives us the opportunity to do these things through our choices.  IT IS A CHOICE!!! THE CHOICE IS ALWAYS YOURS!



December 14, 2019 04:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.